Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Comprehensive Deus Ex Rebalance Mod GMDX v8.0 Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Deus Ex; GMDX

GMDX (short for "Give Me Deus Ex") is a mod for Deus Ex developed by somewhat excitable immersive simulation purist CyberP. Unlike the well-known Deus Ex mods of the past that either introduced interesting but somewhat arbitrary mechanics changes, or were more about graphics and level overhauls, GMDX is a comprehensive attempt to create Deus Ex as it should have been, with a focus on balance and realism. Oh, and it also adds perks, because who doesn't love perks.

Today CyberP released the mod's eighth iteration, following a month-long marketing campaign of sorts during which he published a series of videos detailing its many improvements. Here's the mod's description from its official website, along with the first video in the series, which demonstrates its impressive AI tweaks:

GMDX is an award-winning, content-packed modification for the critically acclaimed PC game Deus Ex. GMDX extensively modifies the singleplayer campaign whilst remaining true to the original design vision. A one-of-a-kind megamod, GMDX is best described as the reinforcement & continuation of Deus Ex's design.
  • Life-like & polished AI, in addition to new enemy types.
  • Higher quality weaponry through pedantic attention to detail.
  • Engaging stealth gameplay and intense tactical combat.
  • Deeper and balanced RPG systems.
  • Further simulated systems.
  • New empowering augmentations.
  • Representative difficulty levels that affect both stealth and combat-based challenges, and a hardcore difficulty mode for those who seek a true test.
  • Fixes many bugs.
  • Refined & polished level design.
  • Enhances various visual effects (explosions, gore, projectiles etc).
  • Significantly improved audio design.
  • Many miscellaneous new features.

See the website for a detailed breakdown of GMDX v8's features. It's available for download now over at ModDB.

Gary Indiana

Cipher
You've got to hand it to CyberP, he's thorough. Absolutely going to try this out over the winter.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
:bro: AI and system changes seem top-notch.
It's all top notch. Probably the most impressive part of the mod is that it doesn't really have any shit design choices (which is typically an issue with these multi year one man projects). The most questionable one is probably the changes to lategame MiBs, and that's only from a lore perspective.

John_Blazze

Augur
Damn it. I was just about to replay DX with Revision.
Now I am torn between those two mods.

Any suggestions?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This looks very impressive, with all these "hi res" mods and bs, it is amazing just how fresh stuff like AI makes the game feel more modern and complete
I was planning on replaying a couple of favorites during the hollidays but might add Deus Ex just to try this out

Athelas

Arcane
Not sure how I feel about some of the changes to the character system (in a lot of action/RPG hybrids, simply adding more 'RPG elements' often had a negative impact on the actual gameplay), but the improvements to A.I., simulation and physics look amazing.

grimace

Arcane
Is there, or is going to be, any better download source available? ModDB download speed is pathetic.

Download the latest version of GMDX (v8.0) on Moddb:

Be sure to follow the installation guide.

Alternate mirrors: Coming Soon

http://genericname112.wix.com/gmdx#!download/cadi

Is it compatible with new vision and hdtp?

"Experience Deus Ex pushed to its potential with GMDX. Also comes bundled with HDTP & New Vision graphics mods."​

I'm going to attempt to install GMDX8 with Steam alongside Revision mod. Wish me luck?

Aenra

I once gave in and tried one of its previous incarnations. One more instance where a capable modder proved to be nothing but a monkey well trained in its field, but absolutely incapable of comprehendind the human condition, or how it should be factored within any a field, in this case the game..

Great work, tech/quality-wise, but the actual, empirical experience? Just like its Thief project modders' counterpart.. so much work resulting in nothing but a punishingly harder gaming mode. Abso-fucking-lutely pointless an endeavour from my point of view. I play RPGs for a reason. Am sure there are countless trigger-happy individuals who will (dis)respectfully disagree.
Hardzorz modez for ub3r proz do not add, they only subtract from where i am standing. Kudos for all that pointless effort however. So many mice, so many wheels. A wondrous place, our world

Shin

Cipher
I once gave in and tried one of its previous incarnations. One more instance where a capable modder proved to be nothing but a monkey well trained in its field, but absolutely incapable of comprehendind the human condition, or how it should be factored within any a field, in this case the game..

Great work, tech/quality-wise, but the actual, empirical experience? Just like its Thief project modders' counterpart.. so much work resulting in nothing but a punishingly harder gaming mode. Abso-fucking-lutely pointless an endeavour from my point of view. I play RPGs for a reason. Am sure there are countless trigger-happy individuals who will (dis)respectfully disagree.
Hardzorz modez for ub3r proz do not add, they only subtract from where i am standing. Kudos for all that pointless effort however. So many mice, so many wheels. A wondrous place, our world

Some play games to relax, others game to get some form of mental stimulation. (prolly not a lot of stimulation tho) Some people do crazy runs in singleplayer games just for the lulz and/or the extra challenge. Not my kind of thing in RPG's either, but I can somewhat respect the fact that some people 'master' one game and thus also love to see more/harder content for it. Plus as fine as a game Deus Ex is, it's not a 'hard' RPG, it's still shootery type stuff (aka action RPG). I do like my FPS' to be hard, so I'll probably have no qualms about GMDX either. It's just that... well, Underrail.

Ash

Arcane

GMDX v8.0 expands upon the game's difficulty levels considerably to cater to those that don't like to think & play as well as those that do. Yet Deus Ex by its very nature is a thinking man's shooter/sneaker so I cannot help you there too much without adding objective markers and other such nonsense. Medium difficulty is recommended for first-timers, and easy for those that don't want to be pushed at all. Ultimately, the hardcore RPG experience is optional and is only a small portion of what the mod offers.

Here, check this out, it explains how difficulty levels now extensively influence the experience: http://genericname112.wix.com/gmdx#!optional-hardcore-mode/c1tnw

Last edited:

Dev_Anj

Learned

This was true of v7, but v8 actually aims at making for better balanced difficulty modes, and Ash himself stated that he made the first two difficulties actually easier:

I will be revealing everything in due time, but I should mention that GMDX is not really about that anymore. GMDX seeks to improve the game in every way in which I am capable whilst staying as true as possible to the original design. That includes making the game easier if low difficulty levels are chosen. In the vanilla game difficulty levels only influenced bullet damage, stealth behaviour for one was unaffected. I've been working very hard but keeping updates mostly exclusive to moddb (and I haven't been revealing much either).

http://www.offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112769#p112769

Ash

Arcane
Yeah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom