Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Competitive online shooters that are both good and active

Bocian

Arcane
Counter Strike 1.6.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
There's a small but active community of Daikatana players out there too.
Nothing feels like shooting each other w/ ballistas and booby-trapping the entire level.
I played Daikatana deathmatch with Mara'akate, the guy who is pretty much responsible for the 1.3 fan patch and runs co-op servers for Quakeworld and Quake 2. The only problem with Daikatana MP is that there's no interpolation for movement unlike Quake 1 and 2 so hopping around the map feels jerky. Other than that it's perfectly playable.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
There's a small but active community of Daikatana players out there too.
Nothing feels like shooting each other w/ ballistas and booby-trapping the entire level.
I played Daikatana deathmatch with Mara'akate, the guy who is pretty much responsible for the 1.3 fan patch and runs co-op servers for Quakeworld and Quake 2. The only problem with Daikatana MP is that there's no interpolation for movement unlike Quake 1 and 2 so hopping around the map feels jerky. Other than that it's perfectly playable.
I know the guy, used to play DKDM around 2010 or so together w/ him, Scaryfun, some Italian cook and some other guys while Frederik Schreiber was shitposting on Romero forums w/ screenshots of his Daikatana-inspired UT3 maps. Fun times, especially when I had school the next day and we used to play till 4 AM @ my time.
Played it again w/ the fan patch last year or so and it was p fun.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
DoI and Insurgency aren't really competitive (although I still enjoy DoI pubs) but QC is a mess and last time I checked the playercount regularly dipped below Quake Live on Steam.

Most people play quake champions of their launcher not steam.

Edit: also don't judge the game yet as of recent there is trend to release games that are simply not ready to be played to the public and then make them good like 2-3 years later like in siege, forhonor, conan exiles etc.

Edit2: now that the game has instagib and some fixes under its belt its not half bad.

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
Midair is a metric ton of fun, but its indie devs have done very little to promote their game. This, along with the game's high skill floor and several large bugs (such as unlock progression being randomly reset) mean the game barely has a pulse only two weeks after release. Very sad state of affairs, reminds me of Reflex.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Dirty Bomb isn't too shabby, especially considering its a F2P game. Its objective based, like CS and OW but there is a lot more emphasis on movement than CS and you use guns, which I hear is unlike OW. Its objective based where the objective isn't just camp on a point and you need good team composition and good play by the necessary classes to succeed. The pay to bling system is the best I've come across and the characters can be purchased with in-game currency quite easily. Also has a server browser, which most companies see as the devil.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/333930/Dirty_Bomb/ You can get the all mercs pack for a good price if you don't want to grind to unlock them, which doesn't take as much time as you'd expect, especially if you're good and spend the additional money you get at the start on a merc you're good at. Don't play sniper, and don't buy them either; although that's a personal request.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Dirty Bomb isn't too shabby, especially considering its a F2P game. Its objective based, like CS and OW but there is a lot more emphasis on movement than CS and you use guns, which I hear is unlike OW. Its objective based where the objective isn't just camp on a point and you need good team composition and good play by the necessary classes to succeed. The pay to bling system is the best I've come across and the characters can be purchased with in-game currency quite easily. Also has a server browser, which most companies see as the devil.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/333930/Dirty_Bomb/ You can get the all mercs pack for a good price if you don't want to grind to unlock them, which doesn't take as much time as you'd expect, especially if you're good and spend the additional money you get at the start on a merc you're good at. Don't play sniper, and don't buy them either; although that's a personal request.

Can confirm dirty bomb isn't bad if you can put up with low population.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
What's the consensus of the new Unreal Tournament in the making? Looks like a competent no-frills arena shooter.

Yeah, read the post one page back, how difficult is that? It includes a description and a video for fucks sakes. And it's FREE. Go try it out and form your own 'consensus'. It's about the only modern game in that genre that reminds me of the good old days.

I'll also add that Day of Infamy is giving me Wolf:ET vibes. It's still quite different, definitely fast paced, maybe less arcadey, more loadouts, bigger maps, no medics but fun once you get the hang of things. Expect to die a lot. It's worth the learning curve although there seem to be more than a few veterans than have been playing it for a couple of years and are much better than you to start.

Last edited:

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Yea... not even remotely tbh :( and seeing how well dumb shit like ow and fortnite is doing I think its a rip for genre for a looooooooooooong time.
What's wrong with Overwatch? I haven't played it, which is why I'm curious. (I haven't played Fortnight either, but I don't care about that.)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/264473443?t=01h22m04s

Ex ow pro who quit ow talking about why ow sucks. He was also really good in cs and quake.

BTW quake champions is the shit now lets play codex.

Pro level ow is about as fun as watching paint dry. It's pretty decent at a ground level though, especially if you have a stack.

Though, I still think that pure healers/tanks have no place in comp fps, could never get into TF2 for the same reason.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Yea... not even remotely tbh :( and seeing how well dumb shit like ow and fortnite is doing I think its a rip for genre for a looooooooooooong time.
What's wrong with Overwatch? I haven't played it, which is why I'm curious. (I haven't played Fortnight either, but I don't care about that.)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/264473443?t=01h22m04s

Ex ow pro who quit ow talking about why ow sucks. He was also really good in cs and quake.

BTW quake champions is the shit now lets play codex.

He's so right that Overwatch is barely an FPS. I've had this opinion from day one (and I even played Smite for way too long, total waste of my life). So much focus on character abilities and cooldowns. That's not at all to say Quake is about pure aiming - much of play is centered around movement, positioning, item control, and opponent prediction. Just like how the golden age singleplayer FPS games from the 90s weren't shooting galleries, but rather were built around mazelike level design with varied enemy encounters and resource management. But still, Quake's basic mechanics are built on FPS rather than MOBA elements, which emphasize reflexes and intelligent maneuvers to reward risky expressions of player skill. Tribes is a whole other ball game but the same core argument holds. With Overwatch I'd practically be playing a MOBA all over again, and I don't feel that same gripping urge that the guy talks about to improve in that sort of game. With both Quake and Tribes I was happy to get stomped for several hundred hours while I slowly inched my way up, because now I can go into a match and just wreck face (well... in Midair/Tribes at least... still suck at Quake), and also because every death and missed shot held a lesson for me rather than a reason to be disappointed with my team.

I've been wary of Quake Champions, though. Don't really like the encroachment of muh hero abilities into the formula, the visual/sound design is all kinds of messy, and I've heard mixed opinions about the weapon design. Probably will give it a go at some point if it's my only option to play Quake, however.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
He's so right that Overwatch is barely an FPS. I've had this opinion from day one (and I even played Smite for way too long, total waste of my life). So much focus on character abilities and cooldowns. That's not at all to say Quake is about pure aiming - much of play is centered around movement, positioning, item control, and opponent prediction. Just like how the golden age singleplayer FPS games from the 90s weren't shooting galleries, but rather were built around mazelike level design with varied enemy encounters and resource management. But still, Quake's basic mechanics are built on FPS rather than MOBA elements, which emphasize reflexes and intelligent maneuvers to reward risky expressions of player skill. Tribes is a whole other ball game but the same core argument holds. With Overwatch I'd practically be playing a MOBA all over again, and I don't feel that same gripping urge that the guy talks about to improve in that sort of game. With both Quake and Tribes I was happy to get stomped for several hundred hours while I slowly inched my way up, because now I can go into a match and just wreck face (well... in Midair/Tribes at least... still suck at Quake), and also because every death and missed shot held a lesson for me rather than a reason to be disappointed with my team.

I've been wary of Quake Champions, though. Don't really like the encroachment of muh hero abilities into the formula, the visual/sound design is all kinds of messy, and I've heard mixed opinions about the weapon design. Probably will give it a go at some point if it's my only option to play Quake, however.

I hate abilities as much as the next oldschool fps fan but quake champions manages to keep them in a way that adds spice without lowering the skill.

Quake champions used to legit be terrible. I was one of the early testers and I couldn't play it more then an hour before just going "what the fuck is this shit." Thankfully game developers had full awareness of the problems and as of right now the game made a turn around from unplayable to fun.

abija

Prophet
Compared with OWL the pure fps skill displayed in the best QC tournaments to date has been pretty pathetic. Probably because of little practice and a terrible engine, but still.

I hate abilities as much as the next oldschool fps fan but quake champions manages to keep them in a way that adds spice without lowering the skill.

Quake champions used to legit be terrible. I was one of the early testers and I couldn't play it more then an hour before just going "what the fuck is this shit." Thankfully game developers had full awareness of the problems and as of right now the game made a turn around from unplayable to fun.
Like what? The only decent change they made was stop the heavy handed enforcing of the 2 abominations they created ('duel' mode and sacrifice) and use the mode pros used for combat practice for tournaments. Thankfully good old 2v2 in small maps is fun and frantic enough to let you forget a bit how the abilities make it worse.
Oh and they added instagib for casual fun but instead of railgun/gauntlet being the only damage sources, they kept the abilities. How gloriously moronic is that?

And you are 1000% wrong, QC has done nothing good with abilities (though I supposed those are the only reason Bethesda marketing gave them money to throw away).

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Compared with OWL the pure fps skill displayed in the best QC tournaments to date has been pretty pathetic. Probably because of little practice and a terrible engine, but still.

Like what? The only decent change they made was stop the heavy handed enforcing of the 2 abominations they created ('duel' mode and sacrifice) and use the mode pros used for combat practice for tournaments. Thankfully good old 2v2 in small maps is fun and frantic enough to let you forget a bit how the abilities make it worse.
Oh and they added instagib for casual fun but instead of railgun/gauntlet being the only damage sources, they kept the abilities. How gloriously moronic is that?

And you are 1000% wrong, QC has done nothing good with abilities (though I supposed those are the only reason Bethesda marketing gave them money to throw away).

Dude I am not going to do the homework for you especially it being such low effort hate. Reads: I am too lazy to reinstall this shit.

If you think the problems with the game were abilities, or modes I question your sanity or more likely the fact that you've barely played the game.

The game had physics tied to fps, shit hitreg and feel of rockets, absolute trash netcode where everything was literally vibrating despite good ping etc.. .etc.. etc... and of all that shit thats been fixed you think duel was why it sucked? Nice troll.

In general this is not the game where abilities makes you lose games like it is in ow or paladins or any of the other trash. If you getting shit on its probably cause your shit at fps mechanics period. I kind of feel like the oldfags are starting to use abilities as excuse why some 13 year old teabags them every 10 seconds. This is especially true and revealing because you mention instagib where abilities literally the most irrelevant shit in terms of winning. Who fucking cares about abilities in a casual purely for fun/warmup mode like honestly.

The game did the correct thing from marketing standpoint. They needed to take quake formula and spice it up a bit. No one would play another reflex or some other quake clone that has 2 players total playing. This game did just that. And to people who think abilities are inherently bad and can't be implemented properly you need to sit down and rethink your bias.

Most people find abilities fun deal with it.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Other than physics tied to fps they haven't really fixed anything of what you mention. And all those are minor annoyances compared with the moronic design decisions they do.
Abilities not only make you win/lose they completely fucked the whole duel gameplay because they are strong enough to turn around a fight. All duel tournaments have been some degenerate exploitation of whatever ability was more broken at that point.

I have hundreds of hours in QC and only stopped playing for almost 3 months because the steam client wouldn't work (yeah, that's how long it took them to fix a problem affecting plenty of players). The game is on life support atm even though they act like it isn't. The frequency of updates and what they actually bring to the game indicate a very low amount of manpower. Also, both the id design team and the russian devs are ATROCIOUS. If something magical doesn't happen soon this game will either turn into milking poor addicted saps like me or follow lawbreakers.

Stop acting all tough when you barely touched the game (and are too lazy to reinstall: LOL).

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Other than physics tied to fps they haven't really fixed anything of what you mention. And all those are minor annoyances compared with the moronic design decisions they do.
Abilities not only make you win/lose they completely fucked the whole duel gameplay because they are strong enough to turn around a fight. All duel tournaments have been some degenerate exploitation of whatever ability was more broken at that point.

I have hundreds of hours in QC and only stopped playing for almost 3 months because the steam client wouldn't work (yeah, that's how long it took them to fix a problem affecting plenty of players). The game is on life support atm even though they act like it isn't. The frequency of updates and what they actually bring to the game indicate a very low amount of manpower. Also, both the id design team and the russian devs are ATROCIOUS. If something magical doesn't happen soon this game will either turn into milking poor addicted saps like me or follow lawbreakers.

Stop acting all tough when you barely touched the game (and are too lazy to reinstall: LOL).

By your own admission you haven't played it in a while. It feels good now almost like ql.

Also fuck of with abilities shit. Picking up a mega can turn a fight. Picking up a rail can turn a fight. Ability is just another thing to manage. Getting quad turns fights around lets remove quad.

Even in ow abilities aren't the problem it is mostly the ultimates and some of the low skill heroes. I mean is it really that fucking terrible that a hero with blink exists that also happens to get 1 shot by anything? That shit is mega fun and high skill.

Is rocket jump an ability? Should they patch that out? Is it so terrible that scout in tf2 has double jump as trade for speed and hp, and scout in tfc has conc granade as trade of? Has anyone complained about that shit when they weren't called abilities? This shit is exactly the same. You can think of them as different classes if it helps you not have stroke every time the word ability is used.

Even if there are problematic low skill abilities they can be reworked and balanced. But as of right now they aren't the volcano eruption everyone is making it out to be.

http://steamcharts.com/app/611500

Doesn't look like life support. It looks exactly like if a game became playable.

I don't want to pick on you any more but I want to emphasize that the main problem of the game were always how it felt in terms of movement, fps, netcode, etc... The fact that you thought those were minor even tho literally every quake player was yelling specifically about that makes me thinking face.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
No, they fucked it up during december patch (perfect timing I might add, probably it took 1 month for the dev team to get back to work after fucking the code). I've been playing it plenty. You obviously have no clue how QL feels like if you hazard yourself to affirmations like that.

Picking up the mega is supposed to turn a fight. Having sorlags camp narrow areas for several months of tournaments, ignoring shit on map because regardless of stack opponent takes a huge risk engaging is retarded. And no, it's not the abilities alone. It's the way they are balanced and the game modes built around them. Sure they can be balanced right, but they're not. Just as it's possible to have a decent engine but this one isn't. Or how it's possible to have a good editor and skilled map makers, but somehow lines like "leveled up floor in map X" keep appearing in patch notes.

What is that graph supposed to prove? That they launched with shit numbers and even throwing out free keys they struggle to get back to those shitty numbers?
I was talking about developer time spent on the game. It's very obvious from how long it takes for a patch, how long it takes for serious bugs to be fixed and how much they spam the patch notes with mini tweaks.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
No, they fucked it up during december patch (perfect timing I might add, probably it took 1 month for the dev team to get back to work after fucking the code). I've been playing it plenty. You obviously have no clue how QL feels like if you hazard yourself to affirmations like that.

Picking up the mega is supposed to turn a fight. Having sorlags camp narrow areas for several months of tournaments, ignoring shit on map because regardless of stack opponent takes a huge risk engaging is retarded. And no, it's not the abilities alone. It's the way they are balanced and the game modes built around them. Sure they can be balanced right, but they're not. Just as it's possible to have a decent engine but this one isn't. Or how it's possible to have a good editor and skilled map makers, but somehow lines like "leveled up floor in map X" keep appearing in patch notes.

What is that graph supposed to prove? That they launched with shit numbers and even throwing out free keys they struggle to get back to those shitty numbers?
I was talking about developer time spent on the game. It's very obvious from how long it takes for a patch, how long it takes for serious bugs to be fixed and how much they spam the patch notes with mini tweaks.

As long as you understand actual pros like rapha and cooler think abilities are fine in qc and majority of people complaining about them are noobs whatever I guess.

abija

Prophet
As long as you watched their streams and other pros and actually witnessed their disgust instead of whatever PR shit they say on "camera". Also even officially, Rapha's stance has been that abilities are nice in sacrifice and bad for duel.
How about that hero diversity in the recent 2v2 tournament?

Are you even aware cooller doesn't play QC unless there's a tournament announced because the game is too shit? Again, stop acting tough when you are obviously clueless about QC.

Last edited:

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
As long as you watched their streams and other pros and actually witnessed their disgust instead of whatever PR shit they say on "camera". Also even officially, Rapha's stance has been that abilities are nice in sacrifice and bad for duel.
How about that hero diversity in the recent 2v2 tournament?

Are you even aware cooller doesn't play QC unless there's a tournament announced because the game is too shit? Again, stop acting tough when you are obviously clueless about QC.

That's citation needed my dude especially because I watch their streams and speak their language.

Edit: I meant cypher instead of rapha I don't actually watch rapha.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
TF2 all the way. They've been doing a lot of work on it recently and it's pretty fun and high skill, both casually and on a competitive level.

abija

Prophet
That's citation needed my dude especially because I watch their streams and speak their language.
If you watch cooller's stream the months of streaming pubg and other shit instead of QC should be all the quotation you need. Hell he was even playing pubg before the last QC tournaments last year, that's how fed up he was with the game.

No idea about cypher, he barely streams even when he plays a lot of QC but iirc in an early interview he said somehing like "devs focused a lot in preventing noobs being owned".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom