Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company of Heroes 2 & Ardennes Assault

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Well, technically the Grande Armée had a large contingent of troops from the German principalities, but for some reason I don't think that's what they're talking about :lol:

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
How are the new mechanics? snow/dynmic vision/etc? if they didnt end up getting canned.

grdja

Augur
How are the new mechanics? snow/dynmic vision/etc? if they didnt end up getting canned.
Got beta access but didn't play much. Game completely looks like reskin of CoH. Maybe graphics are a bit better, but considering how long its been, it barely notices. Like I said, it really looks like snowy reskin of original CoH. Yes there is "weather", you get occasional blizzards and when they are going on infantry not being in buildings or next to a fire will start freezing and dying. They also get freezing when you send them to walk trough thick snow in normal non blizzard conditions. Deep snow slows down vehicles, you can then send inf. to walk in their tracks. Yes LOS changes with weather.

But it really really looks like "CoH with snow". And grindable unlocks in a B2P RTS game.

Brinko

Arcane
What about selecting the resource you want on the cap points? When you cap an enemy position can you change it or is it stuck and can you change your own points on the fly?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I was watching a few casts of beta battles. Basically, blizzards lower the sight range of all units and infantry outside buildings/fires slowly freeze. If they dont' get into a heat source, they'll croak.

Early on in the game, blizzards mostly means people hunker down at their respective points and reinforce damaged units. But later on, the reduced visibility means people can use the blizzards to cover an advance on enemy positions without taking crippling mortar/AT fire during the approach.

Also, watching tanks powerslide across the ice amuses me for some reason.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Apart from the Soviets, the German army had been defeated by the Russian Empire in the nineteenth century and even then you can say that they have lost in both cases because of the hostility of nature.
What the fuck am I reading?
Sigh, another dumb flashback story...

I guess they mean this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kunersdorf*

But with all the historical "truth" dumbfuck devs revealed so far i wouldn't rule out them confusing France with Germany :M

*Edit: on another thought, no way they even heard of it. The did confuse France and Germany :lol:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What about selecting the resource you want on the cap points? When you cap an enemy position can you change it or is it stuck and can you change your own points on the fly?

You have to build a building on the CP just like in CoH1, except that it's either fuel or ammo and it only gives +2. Then there are standard fuel/ammo CP that give a lot more but can't be build upon.
Basically, you can upgrade the MP CPs to give you ammo/fuel.

I haven't played a game in this round of the beta so far (too busy with W:AB) so it's possible they have changed that.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Is there another round of beta, or are you talking about the one that ended about a month ago?

I've got a pre-order for this game over at GMG, but I've been thinking of cancelling it and asking for a refund for a while now.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Hmm, I'll download the stress test again and see if it works.

grdja

Augur
Relic, bringing decline and literal mole popping to RTS since 2006. Chest high walls everywhere included.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, sorry, but Company of Heroes actually turned out to be a pretty good RTS when it released. I'm just not sure if CoH changes enough to justify a day one purchase.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
One thing I really like about CoH is that there's no stupid rock-paper-scissors balancing. Overall tanks are the kings of the battlefield, but they are expensive and can be defeated by appropriate tactics, rather than by spamming anti-tank units.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
A thing a lot of new people seem to miss about CoH is that micromanagement is actually important. You can't just send units to a location on the map and leave them to their own devices. You have to constantly micromanage them, and this can become difficult if you're in multiple engagements across the map.

oscar

Arcane
And good micromanagement can get you great results. I remember circle strafing some heavy German tank with my light one as his turret took too long to rotate to face it :lol:

Multi-headed Cow

After playing one round of this I feel no desire to ever play again. AI seemed about as dumb as it was in CoH, but the gameplay also seemed roughly the same as CoH, only this time the performance was way worse for super low graphics settings. Just not that interested. I guess it's good for CoH diehards unless there's some super fiddly thing I didn't notice.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Played two rounds with phoenix. AI doesn't seem to know how to push beyond decapping undefended points.

Brinko

Arcane
So played 10 matches yesterday with that free demo they gave out and jesus does this game suck dick hard. My first 3 matches were with AI and I can say that the AI is not only still shit but it feels even dumber because all it did was try to cap the same 2 points and get mowed down every fucking time. I did however notice when playing german enemy AI that they did far better than the ruskies from my scout car rampage because they had the same and always picked the autocannon forcing me to run them over with ostwinds.

The two main mechanics that relic was jerking off over was that whole blizzard shit and the line of sight. Well the blizzard is fucking worthless because all that does is mildly inconvenience players by making vehicles move a little slow and bolting down troops so they don't freeze, not that that is ever a problem as for one guy to freeze take almost a minute to happen. Also the blizzard seems to only affect infantry but shit like open anti tank guns being pushed by 6 dudes are never touched. That line of sight horseshit doesn't matter because almost all the maps are open fields, maybe it matters in the campaign when you are forced to use infantry only.

The fucking camera is also a mess as it feels like they decided I needed to have it close enough to admire the fillings in my troops teeth. I thought my mouse wheel had broken for awhile as I kept scrolling out but nothing ever happened. Their unit selection is utterly laughable, it seems they gutted about 3/4 of all the units so that the retards this game was made for don't feel overwhelmed.

In summation this turd feels like a reskin of Opposing Fronts with a pitiful unit roster, which I'm sure will be expanded through the cash shop, with mechanics slapped in that do fucking nothing.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Wait, a AAA RTS game that you have to pay $60 for comes with a cash shop? Cancelling my pre-order then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom