Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

Norfleet

Oh yeah, and on top of that the new nanite disruptors are quite similar to the elite fleet disruptors. Cryptic loves to troll the KDF.
They're not really similar at all. Nanite Disruptors apparently increase bleedthrough, while the Elite Fleets flat out just kill your shield resist.

Seriously though I'd be more upset about the leech thing if I actually participated in PvP. I suppose the 10 people that play this game that actually do are concerned.
Nah. For those of us who follow the PvP game, Leech has been a thing forever. There are a few who bemoan the loss of KDF-uniqueness, but honestly, we got MACO, so fair's fair. Besides, if everyone has leech, then no one has leech.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yea, Leech is one of those things I'd imagine could seriously alter the outcome of a match if one side is all leech, and one side is no leech.

Norfleet

Meaning, FvK the way it previously was? Yeah, that was certainly a contributing factor to its unpopularity. Although it always baffled me that Feds would rather murder their own than fight their actual enemies.

Subject37

Educated
Hmmm....remind me, isn't there a way to unlock Remans without having to buy them from the C-Store?

Drakron

Arcane
Hmmm....remind me, isn't there a way to unlock Remans without having to buy them from the C-Store?

Yes, get to T5 Romulan rep ... of course it doesnt work as it should, I had to start a Romulan Rep project and then cancel it to get it working.

And its a mess, we have 3 head choices but makeup is on head 1 and skin color is on head 3 ... *sigh*

Subject37

Educated
Played an hour of Romulan and it was glorious!

Actually no. I shot a few bugs, blah blah and ended up in original series warbird.

That's exactly how far I got before they took the server offline for drakron's emergency maintenance. At least we got those pipes fixed right?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Okay, I've joined but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing.

So far, only two gripes. Terrible performance and bad ship controls. Otherwise it looks fun.

Subject37

Educated
So I just saw this gem on the STO forum. True?

And!! to make things worse they have taken away the cross faction DOff use, you can NO longer put Doffs from Fed into KDF and vice versa....

Vaarna_Aarne

Okay, I've joined but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing.

So far, only two gripes. Terrible performance and bad ship controls. Otherwise it looks fun.
Some handy tricks for improving performance:

1) Turn off High Detail Objects if those are enabled
2) Put Shadows down to Low setting

Those two are the main hogs that cause slowdown.

As for ship stuff, well, you'll get used to it a lot better once the tiers start piling up. 1-20 is tutorial hell for ship combat.

Drakron

Arcane
So I just saw this gem on the STO forum. True?

And!! to make things worse they have taken away the cross faction DOff use, you can NO longer put Doffs from Fed into KDF and vice versa....

False, I was feeding the base last night with DOFFs and I certainly put crabfaces on it.
Were you get nausicaans in common as Fed? I also put Klingons with the KDF background.

Edit:

Moar Emergency Maintenance ... apparently Cryptic plan is for people to give up trying to log in and go play anything else.

Subject37

Educated
star_trek_first_boxtact.jpg

Lockbox.jpg

eklektyk

Erudite
so ...
decided to get and look what is all that fuss about and geting ready to download that.
with that in mind anyone in particular codex needs/whats to go for for 1st char???

Subject37

Educated
with that in mind anyone in particular codex needs/whats to go for for 1st char???

It's really up to you. Up until this week all new players had to begin with a Fed character and play that up until level 22 (I think) before the Klingons would be unlocked, but with Romulus you can now start a level 1 character in any faction. We have active Federation and Klingon fleets, and the Romulans can ally themselves with either side. Most of us have at least one active character in all 3 factions so you won't be left on your own

Character class selection is not hugely important, because they all have a lot of overlap. In very general terms, Tacticals are damage dealers, Engineers are tanks, and Science officers are healers/debuffers. Your choice of ship is a huge factor in how you'll play your character. You can choose to put a tactical officer in a science ship, for example, and the powers your ship has access to depends more on your bridge officers than it does on the captain (you). The one caveat is that science officers tend to dominate in ground combat, because they have access to so many healing powers that they're pretty much impossible to kill.

Is there a particular race, class or even a specific ship that appeals to you?

eklektyk

Erudite
Is there a particular race, class or even a specific ship that appeals to you?
nah ..
totaly going tabula rasa [exept watching some st:next generation and ds9 with a sparkle of tos loooooong time ago im going blindly where ... :) ]

so tactical officer is a good start i take it [healers got me burned right now in newerwinter]

edity: downloaded 17%

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, Tactical and Engineer are extremely important on Ground as well (which is defined largely by combat with Borg in Elite STFs). Science is the tank that goes and gets fist-deep with the heavy and dangerous enemies (so they can't wipe everyone with their plasma burst), the Engineer is the "wizard" who can use his powers of Space Jihad to blow up Borg en masse with mines and bombs, with Tactical acting as single-target DPS.

EDIT: Also, Tactical has access to Kirk Dropkick and Double Axe Handle.

Subject37

Educated
nah ..
totaly going tabula rasa [exept watching some st:next generation and ds9 with a sparkle of tos loooooong time ago im going blindly where ... :) ]

so tactical officer is a good start i take it [healers got me burned right now in newerwinter]

edity: downloaded 17%

Tactical is a great place to start. STO is DPS-centric and Tacticals are all about pew-pew.

Vaarna_Aarne

i wanna blow shit up ...:oops:

so it looks like i go tactical fed and all that ... now its hard choice of picking race ...
This choice is more than anything about what you like best. The re-done trait system allows for extensive fine-tuning on each of them, but naturally you can think of the little extra optimization you get by default for being part of a certain race (ie, Vulcans deal 15% more damage in melee and are more resistant to various control effects).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom