Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Combat sucks or what? Imma noob lulz!!!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
More like:

Chance to succeed = character's skills + player's knowledge + RNG. If the first two are low, then the outcome is completely random. If the first two are high, the outcome is anything but random (see Eyestabber's ironman playthrough).

Justaguy45

Literate
Random does not equal tactics nor strategy.

That's a false statement. Or to be more accurate, you express an entirely subjective opinion as a matter of fact. Most combat systems introduce some type of randomness (from D&D to dice-based tabletop war simulations) and more often than not are pretty tactical.

I'm starting to think you guys purposefully keep ignoring me. Like really. Have you ever passed a reading comprehension test?

Thanks to the RNG system this game takes so much tactics and shit! Yes, you can even choose actions that got even less chance to hit!!! Can't wait to try it!.

That about sums up your definition of tactics.

More like:

Chance to succeed = character's skills + player's knowledge + RNG. If the first two are low, then the outcome is completely random. If the first two are high, the outcome is anything but random (see Eyestabber's ironman playthrough).

Hey, lookey a new nazi! Waz happenet wid di old onez? LMAO
Dude, he posted himself he missed with 95% THC.
So picking the type of action that has the highest CHANCE to hit is your hardcore strategy game. Occasionally risking a lower one for more damage output and or for a desired effect.
SO YOU TRY YOUR LUCK ON OCCASIONS. Which enchances the random effect. (But no worries you can always reload!)
Hm...
So how is it not random but takes skill and all the best of superhuman abilities?

Here's what Eyestabber did:
A heavily armoured warrior knight guy wielding a barbarian's axe playing rogue style with tricks and stuff.
There is no such thing, never was or ever will be. These things are the reason why this program is fucked up and so are people like your lot.
Because as the player you are to exploit the faults of the program you call a game. And that is how you supposed to "play good". This forces you to go one way. (So much about the strategy here again.) And I'm the idiot for not walking it but calling a quit on this piece.

Read this!
Now do it again!
Then again! Because there is no way to put it simplier.

Eyestabber is a frigging fanatic. Good for him. You stroke his... Ego because he returns it. Not judging, you are free to do it. But rigging odds in a mediocre game is not tactics, okay?
Like ignoring what I say and keep ranting your determination of a sad excuse is that I'm stupid which however you may wish is not true simply and all this does not make an argument for whatever you want to defend.
Still feeling smart and pretty?
Well you're not, never was or ever will be. Regardless what mommy said, you sad kids.
Grow the fuck up, learn to let go 'cause this game is lame. So I'll just quote your quote:

Spazmo
: Odds are, something you like very much sucks. Why? Because this is RPG Codex.

Tell me I'm wrong!
TROLLOLOL

Gather your crew and call me stupid 'cause you don't got shit on me.
None of you proved anything just keep questioning my validity.
How about a witch trial kids?
It's all right I'll tell you everything!
Newsflash, you got problems.

The definition of strategy: The use of a method or plan of action to achieve a particular objective.

Sadly as a fresh player you have no chance for success. Simply because you have no idea what you've gotten yourself into just yet. You lack crucial information of future events and sometimes the skill set to enact your master plan you simply cannot accomplish it all by yourself. That is the point of having a team in turn based strategy games and role playing things. Because there are various roles with particular purposes that need filling and with more characters you can viably go for different roles without giving up on the various experiences or having to reload all the time to get through something you cannot finish with that character you got there because there is something as a new player you had no experience with and like that could not have been prepared for you see. Yeah, sure, figures, reload! Or start all over again, because you've got to go for another build because there is no support you could rely on sadly. What a pity! Even though you belong to whatever faction and whatnot. Yet even when you are in a group fight there is no help you could call on. Merely there for the show and of course to be occasionally be shot in the back by your beloved comrades. Too bad! (Unless you are a no life hardcore loner geek like this Eyestabber kid. Because success even in this "game" of his is a positive feedback for him. Get a life already! (Seriously!))
Most people play to have fun not sweat blood thus this game will never be popular. Are you starting to understand my fucking point there?

For beginners there is no tactics to deploy. Only once you already know the game and exploit the program's mechanics. For which you ought to know it thoroughly. Know every step to build your character to be a capable fighter who can make use of alchemical ingredients, craft his or her own armoury and weaponry and of course buy traps to throw at the foes! And if you are dedicated enough for such a fucked up crazy stuff you may as well become a one man army which is supposedly something you cannot do because you are just a mortal and that is why you are going to die in this game, a lot.
What do you think have you reached your goal? Ironically guys like Eyestabber are the living proof that this program is flawed and so for normal fellows makes it difficult to enjoy.
Like your company.
See I came here to ask if I did something wrong. Turned out I did, by asking it. Then I stopped playing because I just got lucky and sick of the random shits.

I easily and quickly succeeded with a merchant, game is way too easy without the "hardcore" (random) combat. For which early on you got not much chance to get through how you want to because you will miss but you won't be missed (pun intended). Lucking out such rounds without a squad to back you up... Well, thanks no!
That's the point of civilisation we stick together to boost our chance for survival and further success.
The game's got some well developed characters with background and histories and skills and all the goodies we can make no use of. Except the strategy and tactics of course! Oh right, not!

With the merchant if I would have gotten into a fight damn sure couldn't win at all so it makes sense to hire somebody to do it. There are bodyguards and mercenaries in the game, even assassins. Too bad you can't hire any of them or anything like that! As a noble you could just order them about. If you would join the legion you would never fight alone because after getting through a few ranks you could command some of your fellows.
As an assassin first you should be able to kill somebody who has a shirt. (Oh, Cassius!)
You are supposedly a squad of professionals with crossbows and knives and traps and stuff which would require playing tactical to take down guys who got armour and shields high you cannot just overpower. Teamed up it could be good but this game is nothing like that.
Playing a talker is just like an interactive novel. Me with my mercenary could tank great but couldn't do anything else. Hey, think he could have tanked everything? Sounds fun doesn't it? Not really. When was about to take out the town's leader the other legionnaires got owned pretty nasty. And my character got left there surrounded and they weren't about to forfeit you see. Yet that was the only reload I needed to get to the next city. Yeah, I'm such a noob, kids. Still after trying a few dozen assassins, it was refreshing. Made it with even one after I started to get what to expect. Then as I was getting through Maadoran the story started to develop but I got sick of it all.

Blame me, call me a newbie or dipshit even though average players are well known to reload over and again then reload even further or start again. (The "masters" got through this phase already.) Because there is no option to adapt and overcome to survive a situation you are not "prepared" for something as a new guy no one has any chance to be.

Speaking of strategy, there is a saying: A plan that cannot be altered is a bad plan. Thus this game is a bad game. Because you have no chance to make any change.
It's like you miss a click on youtube or something and your operation system freezes and forces you to reboot. Better luck next time! Hope you learned from the mistake you've done! Like what the fuck? Come on!
If you can't do better than this, don't make a game FFS! Because recently you simply cannot succeed unless you know everything. And if you already know everything that is going to happen. Why would you even "play"? There is nothing to enjoy or explore just exploit which is killing fun which is fun for some geeks playing god on the PC they got. (How about a modded Skyrim for such a purpose?) Obviously I'm not one of them and like that not a fan of this very fun program.

This ought to make my point (Again.) and hopefully this time you will be able to understand it!

Tell me I'm wrong and call me an idiot!
You know I like the dirty talk when you're rough.

Cadmus

Arcane
Man, you almost got me and I started reading your post, wheew!
Luckily, I realized you were a complete retard so I stopped halfway through where you only repeatedly cry about not hitting some attack on a 95% chance to hit and call this game a failure.

Here's a guide for you on how to play AoD:
1) buy the game so that VD can make another one instead of pretending you bought it as you outed yourself for not knowing about the poison attack fix
2) delete the downloaded files from your HDD
3) go play Fallout 4

It's a nice compromise for all of us.

deranged

Cipher
Criticizing output randomness in a combat system as a cheap, admittedly, way of creating artificial depth could be a valid argument, but all I am reading is 'OMG, RNG, LMAO, NAZIs' and other moronic arguments like:
It's like you miss a click on youtube or something and your operation system freezes and forces you to reboot.
. Seriously, if AoD's minimal RNG is such an issue for you, why did you bother with the game in the first place ? You are clearly unfamiliar with concepts like critical miss, which makes me wonder if this is the first crpg you've ever played.

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
Here's what Eyestabber did:
A heavily armoured warrior knight guy wielding a barbarian's axe playing rogue style with tricks and stuff.
Eyestabber was using rogue stuff, but that doesn't mean its best way(and still its a good thing when a game allows a player to do anything he want. barbarian with alchemy? why not...)
actually, with 10 str 9 dex 9 con you can have more success by going for axe/dodge/crit only, and have always 80-100 THC even with aimed attacks. and when you do have 80 or more THC its not about luck anymore.
simple example how this game works. if you chose daggers. daggers have passive ability that raises your crit % for every aimed attack. another thing about aimed attacks is that you receive bonuses from str/per stats, that's why you either go for 10 str and use aimed: legs/arms or 10 perception and use aimed: arterial. dex 9-10 is a must, because of obviously good synergy between daggers low AP cost and high dex. If you don't understand this, and try to play with deferent stats using daggers, then you are fucked.
Then its about skills values.. what you wanna do? attack with 100 THC and kill everybody in first two rounds, or have a high defence slowly killing opponents with poison? or you can weaken opponents by that aimed: arms and kill them with counter-attacks. decisions.
choosing deferent weapon can significantly change strategy in fight and proper skill order.
so basically, most of fun in this game is about finding working builds, right stats, etc. that's why in battle there isn't much to do because most of decisions are in char creation screen(assuming you are not a complete moron and understand what you have to do with your specific char in combat). and it is fun, because choices you make are actually matter here(and they do matter because if you make mistake you would have to start from scratch, otherwise there would be no sense to choose between any stat or skill or guild or whatever. if you can't understand what will happen in next quest, then you reload and try again until you lucky, but it doesn't mean the game is bad... mercenary guild require combat skills, merchants - talking skills... I mean, what else could you expect?)

of course, if you are retard you can rely on luck, but that won't get you far anyway. and why would you ever reload if you can win every single fight in game 9/10 times?
now if you don't understand the deference between 20% chance, 50% and 90%, then crpgs is not your genre. and when you don't understand simple rules of genre, then you can't give anybody here any suggestions on how to make rpg.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Eyestabber ... playing rogue style with tricks and stuff.
tumblr_mhcxdrgYrq1qemrd6o4_250.gif
tumblr_mhcxdrgYrq1qemrd6o1_250.gif

tumblr_mhcxdrgYrq1qemrd6o2_250.gif
tumblr_mhcxdrgYrq1qemrd6o3_250.gif

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
the devs of this game designed it so you reload a dozen or so time every fight, there is no shame in this just reload and keep trying ^.^

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Gather your crew and call me stupid 'cause you don't got shit on me.[/spoiler][/spoiler]

This nonsense reminds me of something

Ah yes :

in anyway im an artist...you're cube maker...

you remains a poor person....

you think to make good things , but you're out of the world...

the patience is finished

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
there could be some hard fights where you would have to reload a few times only if bolas were removed

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Who Bitch Dat is? And no Tactics in this game? Nigga this game is all about tactics; for example with sword/spear and board legionnaire which is not optimal build you can choose the checkpoint and kill the thugs mano a mano one at the time or apply the poison and kill them using whirlwind attack; you don't need to have skills and abilities cranked to 10 neither provided you know what you're doing and chose your fights well.... which may be your problem in this case chose the game which scales to your level like PoE or Fallout 4.

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
To cope with that 1/10 chance that you lose?
I don't see any other reason, but the point was why would anybody use reloads as a main strategy, because that's what Justaguy45 said
So just keep reloading all the time because of STRATEGY, right!

1 or 2 reloads when you got extremely unlucky is one thing, 20-30 reloads to get a good outcome in every single fight... is another

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom