Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship RPG update #13

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7425.0.html

Introducing something new and different isn’t an easy task. A fantasy game like AoD offers many familiar concepts: a local lord in charge of a town, different guilds, rival Houses, traveling preachers, etc. None of it raises any questions or requires any lengthy explanations.

The Colony Ship Game is very different and there are a lot of questions that need to be answered and a lot of concepts that need to be explained without overwhelming the player with the new info. That’s one of the reasons you start the game in the Pit, the container town, instead of the much stranger Habitats. It offers some familiarity and gives you plenty of second-hand information from other people.

The Pit will give you two locations: the relatively safe "main street" and the not so safe “bad part of town”. Overall, it will give you more places of interest and things to do than Teron, including an arena that will allow you to test your character fairly early and figure out your limits. Did I say arena? I meant the Courthouse:

• “This, my friend, is the cornerstone of justice in our little town,” he says with pride. “Welcome to the Courthouse.”
    “I thought the Pit was a barbaric outpost where people went to hide from the law.”
    “No, no, far from it! We abide by the Constitution, and much more strictly than those fools in the Habitats. Every accused man in the Pit is guaranteed to have his day in court and face his accuser, just like the Constitution says. If said accuser is unable to make an appearance, an Arbiter appointed by the Court will take his place.”
    “What about the trial?”
    “If the defendant slays his accuser, or the aforementioned Arbiter, he’s cleared of all charges and released. If the defendant falls to the accuser he is declared guilty. Posthumously, of course.”
    “That’s what you call a trial?”
    “All contests conform to the process of law,” he says with a reassuring pat on your shoulder, “and here is where our method is superior: it is immune to the corrupting influence of money. Try to find a system like that in the Habitats. Haw!”
    “You mentioned a job.”
    “We’re running low on legal representation for the prosecution,” he admits with a sad shake of his head. “Lost three Arbiters last week in a string of challenging cases.”

Other notable locations include the Regulators, a local church, a whorehouse, a prison, a gambling den, various stores, and entire town "blocks" occupied by different crews of scavengers and other men of ill repute. They will provide you with some bits of common knowledge as well as quests properly introducing other locations:

Cole:

• “Combat tech and implants.” He taps the data jack on the side of his head. “The good stuff, extracted with care and rehabilitated for my more moneyed customers.”
    “Extracted?”
    “You know they don’t make new ones, so where do you think they come from? Now take a look at this beauty.” Cole dangles a small ball, made of some smooth, shiny substance, from a bundle of ultrathin translucent wires. As it slowly pivots, you see on its reverse side a much worn bar-code and brown spots that look like dried blood.

“Excellent pedigree,” says Cole. “Four previous owners, no registered complaints, and still performs up to factory specs. It’s a basic model though, which is why I’d be willing to practically give it to you for twenty chips.”
    “What is it?”
    Cole shows you the recessed lens on the underside, the “pupil” of the device, ringed by an impossibly blue iris.

Solomon Kane:

• “God has everything to do with it!” The preacher moves closer, closer than you like, leaning well into your personal space. “It is by the Lord’s grace alone that the Ship was launched, and by His grace alone shall She arrive at that land He promised us so very long ago.

“And it was written,” he shouts, the tendons of his neck leaping up, “I will bring you up out of the affliction of Egypt unto the land of the Canaanites, unto a land flowing with milk and honey. The words of millennia ago, my son, millennia, for the truth of His word is eternal.”
    “Who are the Canaanites?”
    “Those who dwell in the Promised Land, those who wait open-armed to embrace the righteous when, and only when, we prove our devotion to the Lord.”
    “Do you really believe that?”
    “Did the Israelites not wander the desert for forty years before He allowed them into the Promised Land? Why did they go for so long without a home? They were not ready. The Israelites must first make their children worthy of the Lord’s grace, and only then were those children allowed to set foot in the Promised Land.”

Mags:

• “Take the Exo-Spine as an example. It reinforces your vertebral column and taps your spinal nerve in four different places. The implant makes you stronger than a human being ever evolved to be. Now let’s say that a few months later you get tired of it and want to have it removed. The Exo-Spine is fused directly to eighteen of your thirty-three vertebrae, and the top spinal cord access point is right at the brainstem. Best case scenario, irreversible paralysis. I’ll let you guess the worst case.”
    “Where can I get some implants?”
    “Two places, from the scavengers or from the source. Problem with buying from scavengers is that over time the goods keep getting rarer, and when you find what you want it’s always pricy. The budget conscious customer goes for the second option: do the extractions yourself.”

Ol' Ben:

• “Well,” says the man, scratching his stubble, “the Mutiny drained the ammunition depots pretty fast and that was what, a hundred years ago? The Ship was provisioned with weapons to secure the future colony, not to fight a civil war.”
    “So there are no energy cells left?”
    “I’m sure there are a few cells left here and there, but they’re worth a lot of money, so only a fool would use them to charge a gun. Fortunately, there are less fancy but still effective alternatives.”
    “Such as?”
    “The pipe gun can be a man’s best friend, and makes for a cheap date too. All you need is a good metal pipe and some propellant. The rest is a bonus.”
    “Do you have anything more … sophisticated than pipe guns?”
    “What’s wrong with pipe guns?” The gunsmith stands a little straighter, as if offended. “A bullet from a pipe gun will kill you just as dead as one from a fancier weapon. If your needs run that way, you’ll have to ask around the Habitat. They’ve got all kinds of fancy over there.”
    “Why not make better guns here, in the Pit?”
    “You see anyone around here who’d pay a few hundred for a high quality piece? It’s something called Economics, which I’m not inclined to discuss with you just now. You take your pipe gun, shove it in someone’s face and pull the trigger. It will do the job just fine. Providing it doesn’t explode.”

Speaking of guns, here is some recent stuff for your viewing pleasure:

SMG1_zps3ylhqfh7.png

^ Assault Rifle, Tier 2 (meaning a step above a pipe with a magazine)

SMG2_zps5thngztn.png

^ SMG, Tier 1

SMG3_zpswcdcsp1v.png

^ 1H SMG, Tier 4

The game will have 3 types of firearms X 3 subcategories (like sawed-off, rifle, multi-barrel shotgun) X 5 tiers = 45 unique models plus some varieties and upgrades. That's just the firearms, although admittedly it's the largest weapon group. Melee and Energy weapons will have 3 subcategories X 5 tiers each. Anyway, back to the Pit:

So far we have 12 quests written and mapped out, including a 6-quest local conflict between the Regulators and the self-proclaimed mayor, aka Order that’s not all that great vs Chaos that’s not all that bad. The conflict fits perfectly well into the belief system I mentioned earlier and comes with long-term consequences you’ll be able to experience in-game (i.e. not in the slides). So in one corner we have the challenger:

braxton_zpsl2tk2nnq.jpg

• Rumor has it that Captain Braxton once served a higher power, that in the days before his crisis of faith and the subsequent falling out with the Church of the Elect he was known as Faithful Gunner Jeremiah Braxton. Speculation about why he left is abundant, but as is often the case no story is more compelling than the others.

Backed up by a few like-minded men and picking up more willing recruits along the way, Braxton left the Church behind and ended up in the Pit, a place where reliable fighting men are always in demand. Around the time of his arrival, the Brotherhood had started showing a keen interest in the Pit, eager to establish a foothold there. Braxton and his newly christened Regulators offered the good people of the Pit their services and after much debate they were hired to drive the Brotherhood’s men out, which was accomplished with brutal efficiency.

In the other corner we have the incumbent "mayor":

jonas_05_zpsxcorn7rw.jpg

• Wasteland is the affectionate name used to describe the now uncharted miles of scorched corridors and decks that bore the brunt of the fighting during the Mutiny. It is even rumored that the hull has been breached in certain sections, leaving them open to the void of space. This unstable no-man's-land is the principal hunting ground for folks willing to gamble their lives against the chance of finding old and outlawed tech.

For a scavenger, Jonas was more successful and more ambitious than most. One of the key difficulties for a professional scav is to extract your finds as quickly as possible, since anyone else stumbling across your good fortune will quickly try to make it their own. In order to facilitate more efficient runs into the Wasteland, Jonas set up a base camp in Cargo Hold #3, right next to the action. Such a good idea couldn't remain secret for long, and his fellow scavengers soon began pitching their tents nearby. With its increasing popularity, the camp attracted a growing crowd of traders, whores, and other hangers-on, and people began to see it as a rugged alternative to the Habitats, which promised safety, but insisted on submission in exchange.

At some point Jonas realized that more money was waiting to be made right there in the Pit, as it had come to be called, than out in the Wasteland. Thus he opened The Promised Land, the finest and only whorehouse in town. The success of this venture, and his own popularity, led to his role today as the de facto mayor of this frontier town.

In case you're wondering the goggles and other gear will be available to your character as well and the inventory will have special slots for goggles and breathing masks. In the next update we'll introduce gadgets and explains how they work.

New concept art:

Freemens-camp_Top_Final_zpsbcxfl6vj.jpg

^ The Pit, top view, will be accessible in-game (like those upper levels in Dungeon Rats). Click here to see the ground level concepts:

The-living-quarter_zpstuoyvbmz.jpg

^ The Habitat, Living Quarters

Public-Area-3_zpsgkha9rgx.jpg

^ The Habitat, Public Area

Vault Dweller

Developer
Much faster than AoD. We have the tools, the experience, working full time, have two programmers, a new guy doing models and props, etc. Anyway, the next step is a combat demo (which is why we needed an arena in the first place) to test and polish the combat system. Once we have it, it will be easier to predict the rest of the development.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I thought tier 1 is the best, Brian Fargo said so. Or was it Brother None? Then again Nazis Germans rate with 1 being the best, contrary to the rest of the world.

(...) “We’re running low on legal representation for the prosecution,” he admits with a sad shake of his head. “Lost three Arbiters last week in a string of challenging cases.” (...)
Will it be possible to talk our way through this or will we have to skip it if we would like to play as diplomats? I assume it's the latter judging by how this trial works, but...

Vault Dweller

Developer
(...) “We’re running low on legal representation for the prosecution,” he admits with a sad shake of his head. “Lost three Arbiters last week in a string of challenging cases.” (...)
Will it be possible to talk our way through this or will we have to skip it if we would like to play as diplomats? I assume it's the latter judging by how this trial works, but...
Most quests and situations there are optional, including the arena, of course. It's there for people who want to fight and boost their combat skills a bit.

Basically, when the game starts, you're given a key to and send to the Armory. You can go there right away or ask for someone to watch your back, which leads you to Evans, your first party member (optional, of course). Evans is involved in that Braxton-Jonas feud and needs your help. If you agree, you'll get involved too, etc. In other words, how much time you want to spend in the Pit is entirely up to you. Obviously, there's a certain benefit in sticking around, picking up a couple of more party members and gaining some skill levels, but you don't have to jump through hoops to get out.

Much faster than AoD. We have the tools, the experience, working full time, have two programmers, a new guy doing models and props, etc. Anyway, the next step is a combat demo (which is why we needed an arena in the first place) to test and polish the combat system. Once we have it, it will be easier to predict the rest of the development.

what's the projected word count, as compared to AoD?
We don't project such things.

Will there be romances? Will there be romances with trannies? Important questions, need answers.
No romances.

Vault Dweller

Developer
What about brothels/nightclubs?
Jonas' base of operations is a whorehouse called The Promised Land.

Sketch_freemens%20camp._zpshwok5sgr.jpg

I assume that they would be banned on a Colony Ship full of zealots.
Not full of zealots. The Brotherhood considers such things a symbol of liberty, the Protectors don't really mind them either.

BTW, do indie games even get content rating? AoD seems like PG-13.
No idea. I've never applied for such things and nobody ever told me that I should. I assume such things are necessary if you want to have your game in Walmart but the portals don't require them.

Thonius

Arcane

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Two things get me hard; Scantily clad hot women, and updates about CSG from Vince.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Vault Dweller
One thing that bothers me, why add portraits when you'll be using Unreal Engine? Will character models looks as generic as the ones in Age of Decadence then? Or is it just a mock-up or a back-up plan in case you would have to go back to Torque (but then again it would seem to be a waste of resources)? Or are these unused portraits? I'm hoping that CSG will have graphics (on zoom) at least as good as Bloodlust: Shadowhunter. Then again Shadow: Tactics also had portraits (and Wasteland 2, but W2 doesn't look too good)...

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
When I look at Bethesda games it doesn't look like they have even 2 different facial expressions for characters :]. I assume that if they'll go with UE it will look much better than AoD, otherwise why bother?

If said accuser is unable to make an appearance, an Arbiter appointed by the Court will take his place.”
“What about the trial?”
“If the defendant slays his accuser, or the aforementioned Arbiter, he’s cleared of all charges and released. If the defendant falls to the accuser he is declared guilty. Posthumously, of course.”
Wouldn't such a system leave nothing but hardened murderers calling the shots?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vault Dweller
One thing that bothers me, why add portraits when you'll be using Unreal Engine? Will character models looks as generic as the ones in Age of Decadence then?
Our goal is to have better models and animation, not 3D faces that are as good as the 2D portraits. Quality requires dedication, i.e. a skilled and dedicated 3D artist who's good at creating realistic faces and conveying emotions. Since we don't have such a person, I wouldn't expect much in that department.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vault Dweller you might have answered that but it doesn't hurt to ask again: How will you handle cover? Will it be "automatic" like in WL2 for example or dependant on position/stance etc like JA2 ?
Since the combat will probably be firerarm-centric these things will be important now imo

Vault Dweller

Developer
From the older updates:

Cover is another way to lower your THC without raising eyebrows and explain why the combatants take 4-5 turns to kill each other. We don’t want to place cover objects everywhere, so we’ll go with energy shields you can place in front of your character (i.e. you throw a 'gadget', it generates an energy shield in front of you (not around you) which absorbs X amount of damage and makes it harder to hit you while you’re hiding behind it).

Naturally, once you decide to go with gadgets, why stop with one? Why not have gadgets modifying every available battlefield stat?
  • Depletable energy shield (absorbs x damage)
  • Reality distortion field (THC penalty against you)
  • Optical illusion a-la Total Recall (chance that enemies will target the illusion)
  • Cloaking field aka Stealth Boy
  • Stasis field (holds enemy, no damage can be dealt)
  • Brainwave Disruptor (don’t leave your home without Psychic Nullifier)

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
DarkUnderlord Make Vault Dweller and/or Elhoim moderators of this subforum!
He never wanted the power. Scorned by The Incident™ of 2007¹, VD never held powers on the Codex again. Fearful the power may fully corrupt him and turn him to the nacho side.

¹Or whenever.
That covers only Vault Dweller but not Elhoim, why not give him moderator powers? Also, I've clicked on the "coductor we have a problem" button and written in the box "delete the thread" but my thread is still standing. Either your moderators are a bunch of lazy hacks or it doesn't work.

Black Angel

Arcane
Vault Dweller
Will character models looks as generic as the ones in Age of Decadence then?

:nocountryforshitposters:
Character models of AoD DOES looks generic. The model's faces for both men and women are one and the same.

That's why I initially laughed at the Ordu's (specifically Belgutai and Agatai) dialogue about the men in the cities of Decadence looking like a women.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom