Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship RPG Update #12: The Protectors' Enclave

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Religion is for dumb people
It's a lot more complicated than that. You may call a particular set of beliefs stupid and you may call mankind a particularly stupid race, but if you look around you'll see that everyone believes in something (including the fact that their faith is the only correct faith and everyone else is dead wrong and stupid): 4,300 different religions, including Scientology and atheism, communism, liberalism, democracy, open borders, any other faith-based ideology (the dawn of new religions?), assorted cults, media, etc. The moment we strike down one pantheon, we erect another.

Why is that, you ask? All the above mentioned religions, they have one thing in common - they give you answers (how to live your life), purpose, path to follow. Of course, not all answers are equal in wisdom and value, and not all roads lead to Rome, but that's a story for another day.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i just was being edgy and didn't expect people to respond so seriously >__>

but my real opinion is, i still dislike religion in general because of it's fear/salvation based dogma and rules, it also promotes superstition and ignorance sometimes in massive scale. it is also a powerful weapon to control people (if you follow indonesian politics atm, you will know) and the mayhem caused can be really harmful to society. though i recognize the many reasons why people follow certain religion and it has its uses in modern society, i still think the bad outweight the good, and more logical, science based way of thinking still should be promoted. for once, religion should stay away from schools and all the primary education bodies. send your kids to sunday school if you want, but that shit should not be taught in primary education.

i don't hate ALL religious people, i dislike the religion(s) and most of their teachings, but it is impossible to hate each and every individual as people are varied. ethics and values can still be taught without the promise of eternal ecstasy in heaven or scaring people with the visions of fire and brimstone or whatever hell people back then can imagine and wrote in some books.

Aenra

You're still full of shit, sorry.

Apart from the two factors i mention, apart from all the things VD mentions, here's another one:
Values; and upholding them. The conditioning of Man to define, uphold and defend. To make his mark and fucking stand on it. Cha-ra-cter. Ethos. The unwritten law that serves as the social glue tying me and my brethren together.

Dipshits like you think religion equals zeal, agnosticism, lack of mental fervor and God knows what else. You lack the maturity and education to comprehend that just like its big sibling (the Word, Langue itself), it too is a code. As all codes, it derives from something organic to its purposes, as all codes, it is meant to express or bolster the functions or potential of the system it communicates with. The human system. Society.
You get? That is what religion really is. That is why it is (that much i agree with him) a weapon. Weapons are weapons though. It's who holds the trigger that makes the difference. And end of the day, we all have weapons.

My way of talking to you right now, it too is a weapon. We gonna blame the English langue for my being offensive to you? No. Did all this register?

If it's too difficult, we have pictures. Pretty ones.

edit: and speaking of pretty.. you used words like 'fair' and 'bad'. Again, terms of the young or the ignorant; these are social constructs, do you know what the term means? Signifiers without a signified, arbitrary, fluent, open to interpretation. Yet another social contract, mutually agreed upon. Yet here you are condemning one and employing the other, even though both have the one, identical, same root. Think of all that for a bit. And if you got time to spare?
When you mature a bit, you might revisit this and consider how detrimental this erosion is; to everything. Our values, our beliefs, our individual freedoms, our way of expressing ourselves, our need for individuality and i could go on and on. Stop thinking now and simply look; at where it's lead us and how that's the fault of people just like you. With their "forward", "open" fucking thinking.. my ass.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dipshits like you think religion equals zeal, agnosticism, lack of mental fervor and God knows what else
yet you getting this butthurt over a 2 paragraphs post in a videogame forum practically disprove this. if you're so moderate and not so zealous you would just chill out instead of attacking me personally. :lol:

also religion isn't anywhere close to language in term of how integral it is to civilization. like VD said, and i actually agree, it gives answer. people were and still are afraid of the unknown, and in that unknowing, born the myths and superstitions like animism and dynamism, it gets organized, and evolving over time, going from spirits to pantheon, pantheons to single deity (not as simple and linear as i explained of course, but i am too lazy to write a whole essay), etc. at it's root they happen because our ancestor's inability to answer questions to phenomenon happening in the natural world and thinking everything is supernatural. but of course, over time it gain more power and serve other function in society.

now that we have learned a better way to figure out this phenomenons, that root function of religion become obselete.

i also don't think everyone is zealots. people have varying degree of faith, and generalizing people based on that single faith is idiotic. i am never offended by people saying they believe in certain religion, or automatically lower my opinion on them based that that. but it seems the case isn't the same for you. the existence of skeptics alone seems to trigger your whole being and it' just hilarious.

also atheism isn't a religion. it is a belief, but belief alone doesn't make it a religion.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Vault Dweller, can you post a list of every member of the team of ITS and their functions, including the person responsible for the sound track?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Religion is for dumb people
It's a lot more complicated than that. You may call a particular set of beliefs stupid and you may call mankind a particularly stupid race, but if you look around you'll see that everyone believes in something (including the fact that their faith is the only correct faith and everyone else is dead wrong and stupid): 4,300 different religions, including Scientology and atheism, communism, liberalism, democracy, open borders, any other faith-based ideology (the dawn of new religions?), assorted cults, media, etc. The moment we strike down one pantheon, we erect another.

Why is that, you ask? All the above mentioned religions, they have one thing in common - they give you answers (how to live your life), purpose, path to follow. Of course, not all answers are equal in wisdom and value, and not all roads lead to Rome, but that's a story for another day.

Man always believe in something. Either in God, or lacking this failt - in money, in pleasing his desires, etc.

Materialists (godless people who dont believe in Krishna) also have strong faith, if you think about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom