Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Colin McComb on What's Next: A New Torment RPG?

ironyuri

it wouldn't be make believe if we believed in C McComb.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Codex seems to be suspiciously inclining this year. Developers coming back, actual content being produced again, etc. What the fuck is going on?

ironyuri

Codex seems to be suspiciously inclining this year. Developers coming back, actual content being produced again, etc. What the fuck is going on?

Incline of certain segments is offset by the total derpification of Politics/Library/GD by the WCDS. Whereas some parts of Codex have become an intellectual wasteland, other parts are blossoming.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Incline of certain segments is offset by the total derpification of Politics/Library/GD by the WCDS. Whereas some parts of Codex have become an intellectual wasteland, other parts are blossoming.
That's a nice sentiment, but I've been here for a while and let me tell you that /gd/ was never good.

What the fuck is going on?

When you reach the bottom the only way to move is up.
True. Still it is rather surprising, not that I'm complaining. The prestigious moniker might actually be deserving again. Jubilations.

Alex

Arcane
I'll put up a post later about the relative importance of Planescape to the Torment story, but right here I'll say that WotC has little apparent interest in licensing Planescape. I first approached them in February, and it became clear early on that they didn't seem very interested in talking to me.

That's okay, though. Other, equally cool options exist.

Are you guys thinking of using the Countless Doorways setting you and other Planescape veterans? I am assuming you are Colin McComb, by the way, because of your initials. Also, does the Planescape IP give you the rights to the original characters of that game? What about Fell (I remember he also showed up in Faces of Sigil, I think).

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

Balance in all things.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer

Some of us just don't read GD ever. You couldn't pay me to read those forums. Haha. Thankfully the communities seem pretty...segregated?

Also, the incline happened just as TwinkieGorilla became more active. QED.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Codex is mainstream now bro, get with the program.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have to agree with others that the :incline: taking place here at the Codex and cRPGs via Kickstarter (I'll also include Chaos Chronicles and AoD here) has been pretty darn exciting and totally unexpected! Who knew 2012 would usher in the revival, not the end of the world... or maybe the Mayans meant the end of the popamole world :P!

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
As far as I'm concerned, MCA told a complete and beautiful story. If Chris wants to add sequels, that's his prerogative. If I added direct sequels, that would be fan fiction. I *like* that the question of what happens to his companions after the game has ended remains unanswered. Adding more details cheapens the impact of the original, and the unanswered questions about the companions makes their stories more powerful.

That's why Chris and I have both said that we would not be involved in sequels; we don't need to wrap up every loose end. Spiritual successors, yes - there are Torment stories that are untold. But not sequels, at least not right away (the last clause is just in case Chris discovers a new story he wants to tell with those companions).

So why do I want to use Torment? Because it was a deeply personal, philosophically engaging story that was not tied to the fate of the world - it *is* the end of the world for some characters, and it can sweep across the depths of infinity, but it remained a story about one man and the impact he had on those around him. Using Torment in the title tells you what kind of game it is. It's a specific story about a specific kind of person, a thematic link.

For the people who insist the game be a Planescape game, I have two points:
1. As I said, WotC does not appear to be interested in licensing Planescape.
2. Anyway, countless people told us that a Planescape game would never succeed, because it was "too weird." We just had to tell them to trust us - we had it handled. As you've seen, we did.

I'm not going to ask you to trust me just yet (I enjoy not having feces flung at me), but I will ask that you keep an open mind until you see what I'm thinking.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The Planescape setting being buried by WotC somehow rejoins the fact that in Torment the planes are slowly dying because of TNO's past actions. An elegant way to do a non-D&D Torment sequel would be to start on the premise of the end of the world (or rather the multiverse), with characters doing what they can to save the day or simply finding closure before the end of everything...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom