Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. You can now buy a 16 GB Codex Troll USB 3.0 for $30 USD (includes postage), simply [donate to the campaign] here!
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Colin McComb on What's Next: A New Torment RPG?

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Crooked Bee, Dec 1, 2012.

1. CMcC Developer

CMcC
    Jaesun, kaizoku, NiM82 and 6 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  2. Brother None Prestigious Gentleman On the line for InXile

Brother None
    Haha. You guys are fantastic.

Here you go
    Infinitron Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  3. ironyuri Unwanted

Unwanted
    I was parodying the Codex, you realise.

:excellent:
    Charles-cgr, Brother None and mindx2 Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  4. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
  5. ironyuri Unwanted

Unwanted

it wouldn't be make believe if we believed in C McComb.
    ^ Top  
  6. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Codex seems to be suspiciously inclining this year. Developers coming back, actual content being produced again, etc. What the fuck is going on?
    Jaesun, mindx2 and Brother None Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  7. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    When you reach the bottom the only way to move is up.
    Matt7895, bonescraper, Executer and 2 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  8. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Kickstarter is going on. You live under a rock son?
    ^ Top  
  9. ironyuri Unwanted

Unwanted
    Incline of certain segments is offset by the total derpification of Politics/Library/GD by the WCDS. Whereas some parts of Codex have become an intellectual wasteland, other parts are blossoming.
    Kz3r0, Darth Roxor, mindx2 and 2 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  10. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Did you consider Numenera? That sounded like a rather cool setting.
    ^ Top  
  11. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    That's a nice sentiment, but I've been here for a while and let me tell you that /gd/ was never good.

True. Still it is rather surprising, not that I'm complaining. The prestigious moniker might actually be deserving again. Jubilations.
    ^ Top  
  12. Alex Arcane

Alex
    Are you guys thinking of using the Countless Doorways setting you and other Planescape veterans? I am assuming you are Colin McComb, by the way, because of your initials. Also, does the Planescape IP give you the rights to the original characters of that game? What about Fell (I remember he also showed up in Faces of Sigil, I think).
    ^ Top  
  13. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    But not because of the fact he just made a blog post saying "Yes, it's me" right?

:troll:
    Kz3r0 Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  14. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    When your Sense Motive skill is in the 30s you do not need any stupid fact checking, son.
    ^ Top  
  15. hoverdog dog that is hovering

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
    Balance in all things.
    tuluse, Infinitron and ironyuri Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  16. Brother None Prestigious Gentleman On the line for InXile

Brother None
    Some of us just don't read GD ever. You couldn't pay me to read those forums. Haha. Thankfully the communities seem pretty...segregated?

Also, the incline happened just as TwinkieGorilla became more active. QED.
    TwinkieGorilla Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  17. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    HOPW ROEWUR NE.

:hero:

TwinkieGorilla does a good job. :smug:
    Infinitron Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  18. Alex Arcane

Alex
    He hadn't wrote that yet when I started making my post.
    ^ Top  
  19. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    What, are you typing with one finger?
    Brother None Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  20. Alex Arcane

Alex
    I was having lunch.
    ^ Top  
  21. General Maxson Cipher

General Maxson
    Maybe there is still hope... :incline:
    ^ Top  
  22. Volrath Arcane Patron

Volrath
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Codex is mainstream now bro, get with the program.
    ^ Top  
  23. mindx2 Arcane Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I have to agree with others that the :incline: taking place here at the Codex and cRPGs via Kickstarter (I'll also include Chaos Chronicles and AoD here) has been pretty darn exciting and totally unexpected! Who knew 2012 would usher in the revival, not the end of the world... or maybe the Mayans meant the end of the popamole world :P!
    Charles-cgr and skuphundaku Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  24. CMcC Developer

CMcC
    As far as I'm concerned, MCA told a complete and beautiful story. If Chris wants to add sequels, that's his prerogative. If I added direct sequels, that would be fan fiction. I *like* that the question of what happens to his companions after the game has ended remains unanswered. Adding more details cheapens the impact of the original, and the unanswered questions about the companions makes their stories more powerful.

That's why Chris and I have both said that we would not be involved in sequels; we don't need to wrap up every loose end. Spiritual successors, yes - there are Torment stories that are untold. But not sequels, at least not right away (the last clause is just in case Chris discovers a new story he wants to tell with those companions).

So why do I want to use Torment? Because it was a deeply personal, philosophically engaging story that was not tied to the fate of the world - it *is* the end of the world for some characters, and it can sweep across the depths of infinity, but it remained a story about one man and the impact he had on those around him. Using Torment in the title tells you what kind of game it is. It's a specific story about a specific kind of person, a thematic link.

For the people who insist the game be a Planescape game, I have two points:
    1. As I said, WotC does not appear to be interested in licensing Planescape.
    2. Anyway, countless people told us that a Planescape game would never succeed, because it was "too weird." We just had to tell them to trust us - we had it handled. As you've seen, we did.

I'm not going to ask you to trust me just yet (I enjoy not having feces flung at me), but I will ask that you keep an open mind until you see what I'm thinking.
    Araanor, Outlander, bonescraper and 21 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  25. Cosmo Erudite

Cosmo
    Project: Eternity
    The Planescape setting being buried by WotC somehow rejoins the fact that in Torment the planes are slowly dying because of TNO's past actions. An elegant way to do a non-D&D Torment sequel would be to start on the premise of the end of the world (or rather the multiverse), with characters doing what they can to save the day or simply finding closure before the end of everything...
    Harg Harfardarssen and Kz3r0 Brofist this.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)