Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

People News Colin McComb and Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie have left inXile

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, May 10, 2018.

1. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    As the canonical Luke Skywalker says in his crowning appearance, "No one's ever really gone." I'm sure we'll keep seeing many games from Colin and Gavin for years to come. Both were very kind colleagues to me, and my sense is that they were well liked inside inXile as well as by outsiders like me. From what I gather from Darth Roxor, Gavin's humorous characters like Sn'erf the alien sexologist will fit in well with the Divinity franchise, and I'm sure Colin will land well, too.

The Codex's 180 on Colin is unfortunate, and I think mutual at this point, but so it goes. (In high school, two friends of mine, one not good at basketball and the other pretty good, used to play 1-on-1 all the time, with the better player always winning. Finally, after ~100 rounds, the other guy managed to win. Immediately the better player asked for a rematch. "Nope," refused the worse player, who spent the rest of our years in high school gloating that "you're only as good as your last game." I suppose there's a lesson in that for all of us.)

Anyway, Codexian glee seems misplaced from a self-interested perspective (cf., Obi-Wan, strike me down, etc.), but who am I to stand in the way of schadenfreude?

• Funny x 9
    • Brofist x 8
    • Friendly x 5
    • Agree x 4
    • Salute x 2
    • Makes you think... x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    Think it was him (or inXile) who turned their back first, though.

Also, if he's really the SJW he poses himself to be on Twitter he would've never liked this place. If he knew the place and still posted then it was only out of self-interest. Which did stop quite abruptly when inXile thought they don't need the Codex money anymore, probably thinking they'd strike it straight to AAA level with Numanuma or something.

• Agree x 6
    • Brofist x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Darkzone Magister

Darkzone
    Parrots:
    So the question now is:
    Can Ziets save WL3 and make it to a good game?

• Yes x 9
    • it is a mystery x 7
    • No x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Murk Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Murk
    Parrots:
    This is something I was thinking as I read the news post as well. I don't remember the exact moment he fell from grace, but I do remember that at one point or another he was here and what he was posting seemed like he understood what kind of game people like me would want. Perhaps it was because the game was so far from production that the talk of possibilities was promising (and enchanting). Then, as the reality settled in, and decisions were made... and art was... decided on (or not-decided on, as Monty reports) and content was cut... and between all the compromises, decisions, and opportunity costs that the reality of a kickstarted game brings in, the magic was lost. At least to me. I remember once tangible previews of what and how the game would look and feel like began to pop up, I started to lose interest. Same thing with PoE happened to me. Seemed good at first... but as previews started to show, I realized what I thought I was hearing was not what was being made.

I was excited and horrified of nuTorment. PS:T was (and is) a magical experience to me, and the idea that its legacy would be continued scared me because I had no faith the special experience I had could be replicated. I thought that, at best, perhaps elements of it could be revisited in vague but enjoyable ways, but the final product didn't even seem to carry that (at least, for me).

Anyway, I think deep down in his bald heart, there may exist the plans for a game I can enjoy; but the conclusion I'm left with is that Colin was able to talk promisingly but ultimately not deliver.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. HeatEXTEND Arbiter

HeatEXTEND
    Parrots:
    There is potential here.

^ Top  
  6. Volrath Arcane Patron

Volrath
    Parrots:
    It's worse.

• Brofist x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • No x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    Gavin, perhaps.

Colin is bald fraud who only managed to land one job in games industry in the last 20 years. And it was an unmitigated disaster. But I wish him well and hope he has fruitful career appropriate to his level of competence. Something like writing menus in a local kebab.

• Funny Funny x 15
    • nice nice x 3
    • Edgy Edgy x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Max Edge Educated

Max Edge
    Parrots:
    McComb and succubi? McComb and elves? Jack of Jil? I don't understand the references. Any help?

^ Top  
  9. Murk Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Murk
    Parrots:
    McComb wrote the Complete Book of Elves. People hated it.

• Agree x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Quantomas Learned

Quantomas
    Parrots:
    TTON is far from a bad game. It's probably the best SF game ever made, with the exception of the more action-centric KotOR. But for people who like to read sci-fi and imagine fantastic worlds, it's an incredible game. Review here.

The meres MRY did write, plus the exceptional encounter and characterization of Inifere, are outstanding, not alone because of its prose poetry which you find too rarely in mature games. A lot of the places and stories, like the glimpses of the past or the Mere in the underwater city are excellent.

BUT the one thing the game is not, is a Torment game. InXile should have had the balls to say crowdfunding is one thing, but marketing and presentation of the game must have an entirely different focus. If that would have been clearly communicated, a lot of expectations and disappointments could have been avoided.

InXile is definitely guilty of mismarketing, with claims like a new take on combat, spiritual successor to PST and other nonsense. It's sad to the point it's almost absurd. Their Ninth World trailer is one of the best video game trailers ever made, and yet they had Techland produce a lot more that simply mischaracterized the focus of the game. Here lies the root of the commercial flop. The marketing didn't convince the mainstream, and alienated its true audience. The cover for the game, which is fantastic art in its own right, is simply not suited for marketing a sci-fi game to an audience that is not interested in horror. I'd even go as far as saying Brian Fargo missed the biggest opportunity of his career by his ineptitude for proper marketing. This is a theme that goes back to games like PST and Soulbringer, games that were great but underperformed.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    • retadred x 8
    • WTF am I reading x 5
    • Brofist x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • not sure if serious x 3
    • Disagree x 3
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Makes you think... x 2
    • When words are not enough x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    IHaveHugeNick The internet thrives on, and spurs on, hyperbole and mean-spiritedness, but I think your comments about Colin are unfair and untrue, regardless of how one feels about TTON. Even assuming TTON is a failure,* one can try and fail without being a fraud; in fact, to try and fail is the oldest story in the world.

As far as I know, the work with inXile was the first job Colin wanted in the industry after his Interplay days, as non-game jobs tend to pay better and he was forming and supporting a family. I’m sure he will have more cRPG work if he wants it, and I’m sure at any such job he’ll show the same collegiality that he showed at inXile.

(* I’ve only ever played one game Colin worked on (PS:T), and I loved it, including his parts of it.)

Anyway, I’ve said my piece, and I’ll leave you guys to take victory laps.

• Friendly x 17
    • Agree x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 4
    • Salute x 2
    • Despair x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    Everything about Torment is a rollercoaster. Art varies from amazing to amateur. Writing can be phenomenal, including some parts written by Colin. But a lot of it isn't just bad, it's diarrhea inducing. Some quests are fascinating, others make you want to pour bleach into your eyes to prevent the game from causing any further trauma. You put up with it for a while but eventually you just give up.

• Agree x 6
    • Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Max Edge Educated

Max Edge
    Parrots:
    Why? He was paring them with succubi?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ga♥ Learned

ga♥
    Parrots:
    I will always respect Colin (CMcC) for his work on the Planescape setting and on PST, salute to him and I sincerly hope he doesn't stop making RPGs :salute:
    I geniuly think he tried rly hard to recreate the same team, situation, w/e to redo a good job in TTON as he did in PST (he even tried to ask Hasbro for the licence of the setting), reached out to Adam, Chris, I bet he even tried to ask Maldonado.

Even if the game didn't turn as good, I celebrate the intention.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    • cuck x 7
    • Agree x 5
    • Friendly x 2
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Kit Walker Totally Not Captain Shrek

Kit Walker
    Parrots:
    Answering part one: It's not as bad as the hive mind consensus seems to be. It is quite okay. Mediocre little game with a ton of wasted potential. What kills it, is the badly handled setting, terribly written characters for the most part (a couple of them are quite okay) and badly used mechanics (where there was a chance of improvement). The greatest sin was, of course, it was presented as a legit spiritual successor to PST which turned out to be laughable.

As for the second part, I don't know what his real role was in the game. The premise for the plot is quite nice but the execution sucks. We need to know which part/s he was personally involved in, to pass a real judgement.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    $4,188,927
    pledged of $900,000 goal
    backers

:nocountryforshitposters:

How do you market "spiritual successor to obscure cult-classic" besides appealing to the fans of said classic? Brian did his job.

He fucked up in outsourcing another P&P label though. They are cultish with their material.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Inb4 Colin McComb June of Rage, why Fargo sucks and the real truth behind Codex blacklisting in gamescom.

• Excited! x 9
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It will be interesting to see where they will land and who will replace them at inXile (or maybe inXile will remain with fewer writers now).

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Darkzone Magister

Darkzone
    Parrots:
    Let me recapitulate this: They aimed at Planescape Torment and hit a fan boy that thinks that the game would be a success and better if they would have just named it Perry Rhodan.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:
    You are probably right. Half of the time we are discussing more versions of memes and myths than real people. These memes are fulled by design decisions we hate, tweets about politics, etc. This Avellone scandal teached me that most our hate was misguided. That being said, you are not much better off because you didn't work with him on a daily basis to notice his flaws. You only have an idealized version of him that he showed a couple times, nothing more.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    MRY

I get that he was kind and welcoming to you. But his attitude towards the fanbase was anything but. Even in the Codex interview when InXile came here with an olive branch, the others at least seemed genuinely interested in our input. Meanwhile, Colin was acting like a self-important manchild who is perplexed that Nobel committee isn't calling to award him for his opus magnum masterpiece.

A man who talks big with a limp dick practically begs for ridicule and mockery and he can only blame himself.

There was only one guy who could get away with acting prickly towards his customers and his name was Steve Jobs.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • meh meh x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Parrots:

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    Isn't Crooked Brian Fargo in jail?

• Funny x 5
    • meh x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Parrots:
    :d1p:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:
    Well, who am I kidding with my diplomatic talk. You are right. His role in PS:T was terrible too.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)