Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Competition Codexian Wasteland 2 Location + Statue Fund-Raising Drive

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Are you sure the shrine thing in Fargo's reply wasn't just a mistake or oversight?

Personally I don't think so. Sure, we'll clarify that when the time comes, and a statue would be good too. But he specifically underscored, and not just once, that we're among the core fans and it's in his best interest and would be his pleasure to please us. :P

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Cleve's bunker sound cool, but I'm wondering if the idea isn't too big and complex. From my understanding, we can hope to get a little easter egg in there, whereas you guys are basically starting to design a dungeon.

This, basically. I like the idea, but isn't a whole bunker filled with NPCs a bit too much to ask for? We aren't even in it for $10,000, only for $5,000. A shrine instead of just a statue is already Fargo being generous.

Shhhh. Don't undermine our delusions of grandeur. You're giving voice to thoughts that I'm actively suppressing at the moment.

St. Toxic

Arcane
It couldn't hurt to try. If it looks good on paper, there's no reason for Fargo not to go for it other than to be an asshole, and it's harder to do than you might think when you've just been handed a sack of money. :M

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why would you want Cleve's bunker in the game, the moment you got anywhere close the lucky members of your team would be dead to sniper fire, the rest would be doused in napalm.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Is the gold bars scale stuck at 1,395 USD (28%) cause I don't see any increase.

Peter

Arcane
Why would you want Cleve's bunker in the game, the moment you got anywhere close the lucky members of your team would be dead to sniper fire, the rest would be doused in napalm.

:lol:

Is the gold bars scale stuck at 1,395 USD (28%) cause I don't see any increase.

It's updated manually. Either DU hasn't gotten the chance to update it or (more likely) he's keeping it low to trick us into donating more.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Exactly for this reason :P

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
Donated 55$ already through the main kickstarter site, but will try to donate some more through codex later on so we can get our glorious statue.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
For $5,000 I'd rather see him do a mock up video of the dialog he had with Bethesderp for Hunted:

"We'd like to make it a third-person-over-the-shoulder console shooter!"

"Excuse me?! Uh... I mean, never mind sure that sounds GREAT!"

hiver

Cleve's bunker sound cool, but I'm wondering if the idea isn't too big and complex. From my understanding, we can hope to get a little easter egg in there, whereas you guys are basically starting to design a dungeon.
You dont know who youre dealing with here, son.

Anyway, lets just get to the very basics of the thing as a first point.
I propose this :

1. Whatever we get it "The Codex" must tell the REAL story of how ITS actually came to be.
-i think we can all agree on that one-
2. It must be written using all the most important memes and themes that will be completely undecipherable to ordinary players or those without direct contact with these forums. Except the rest of the bros out there who hate the same things as we do.
and ultimately it must not mean anything real.
- i think this is something we can all agree too-

NOW:

3. It must - should be a trap
-not that kind of trap but a deadly one. but we can get the usual trap - trap into this for teh lulz-
4. It all can and should be done in simple text that works as a puzzle, of course. Because thats what you get in long lost shrines.
- i think this is something that might be widely accepted too, at least the text puzzle bit-
5. It should work in a way that it poses questions to the player and kills him in horrible ways for every wrong answer
- i think this is generally one everyone will agree on too and it fits with the wasteland violence theme-
6. Lulz must be a part of it either as a secret energy of power or something else (which ultimately doesnt work)
- agreed-
7. It should not be too long and to the "point". Succinct, without any false prolonging.

So, a player will find a shrine. I would prefer if its a random encounter too.
The first inscription promises revealing all teh secrets of reality and truth about ITS.
After dying multiple times and being blown into bits, burned and so on the player enters the shrine... possibly being killed inside too, reaches the statue of teh codex and starts the text adventure - revealing the big secret - truth about ITS.
Every wrong answer kills the player. Answers about QTE, poping moles, real time combat, first person, action, emotional engagement, voice overs, graphics, special effects and all the other things we and the rest of true believers will know about.

How toight all of this will be depends on the input of those better then me and the rest of you.

Alternatively if thats too much, we can go for straight "end" where it simply doesnt work or breaks down before giving any answers. All done in text of course.

Food for thought Codex. Food for thought.
Im just throwing this out there but ultimately i dont care and whatever you guys decide more or less by majority is fine by me.
Ill just add some bucks, tomorrow or day after and wont ask, rescinding all possible rewards because im already getting what i want.

Stabwound

Arcane
The game won't even begin development for 6 months so there's plenty of time to figure it out.

Pegultagol

Erudite
So around one year of development time will be enough for this game to come to fruition in a satisfactory manner, right? Not getting the cart in front of the mule, but the more successful the game gets, potentially longer it will take to develop, what with the promise of more complex and wider locales. I hope this Codex thing is one of the last things to be put in, maybe should be unlocked to those who name their party members after those among us who contributed.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I still think a monocled troll statue called king of codexia, slayer of the popamole would be good. Tragically he died because he forgot to equip the ring. : oldfag:

Peter

Arcane
I agree. Keep it simple. hiver's idea is way too convoluted and complex for what is a little easter egg.

hiver

I think a deadly shrine or a Cleve ITS bunker, with the statue inside it and text adventure deadly puzzle is the most anyone can hope for.
Relatively easy to implement.

If thats not possible, just downgrade until its doable.
But i wouldnt be surprised if InExile would want to provide the players with some sort of gameplay in these locations won as rewards.
Instead of they ending up being just a place - statue you see once and then go away.

Angthoron

Arcane
So the Codexian troll, with an RPG launcher as scepter and an instruction manual as the Royal Orb thingie?

hiver

I agree. Keep it simple. hiver's idea is way too convoluted and complex for what is a little easter egg.
Its not fucking convulted and complex. It just has too many lines of text for you - BECAUSE I WANTED TO CLEAR OUT WHAT THE FUCKING BASICS ARE!
Its as complex as finding the shrine/bunker with statue inside and a text adventure attached to it!
God fucking marfrghr mrgnnff!

Peter

Arcane
From what I understood, it was process of avoiding lots of different traps and then having a text adventure, which can also kill you. You do realize that this all takes time to be implemented, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom