Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Walking back to the ever so brave group of Kelts Rhenmyr replies: "He's laying a false trail towards the highlands and will meet us here. This place is used for blood sacrifice." He gestures toward the altar. "About a score of barefooted people were here within the past few days. A pack of wolves or dogs was through shortly after them. So the area may not be safe. We though one of you might know more of the area. From what I've seen, there's a stream to the southeast (and maybe some smoke in the forest there), the barrows may be worth exploring, and the tracks follow a path into yonder wooded valley."

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán does a history check on the alter area?

Marcán slowly nods. "Ah, all of that in a few minutes. Just for the record, I was the first to request we help save you sorry lot." Marcán takes a look around for himself, seeing if he's familiar with this area.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Save us he says? Last I checked there's forest to hunt and flowing water here. Only stringy old wizard back there." Rhenmyr mutters.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unfortunately, nobody remembered to untie and collect the rope from the bier inside Koren Ghul's chamber and the two ropes you had knotted together are now severed where the portal had once been (somebody needs to mark off on their character sheet that they don't have a 50' length of rope anymore).
Updated my inventory. There some kind of map I can peg the false trail on?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Unfortunately, nobody remembered to untie and collect the rope from the bier inside Koren Ghul's chamber and the two ropes you had knotted together are now severed where the portal had once been (somebody needs to mark off on their character sheet that they don't have a 50' length of rope anymore).
Updated my inventory. There some kind of map I can peg the false trail on?
I should have a bit of time later today to whip up a quick area map, but I don't currently have anything on the scale your're asking for.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Ker looks around marveling at the great ring of standing stones. These look very much like the simple six to eight feet tall monoliths that adorn the sacred grove outside of Kaer Eanyn, but only on a much grander scale - at least twice as tall and easily four to five times as many dotting the hillside here and on the great mounds adjacent. The thing you notice right away is the intricate swirls and whirls carved into these stones, whereas the stones outside your village are unadorned or at least worn smooth with age.

You remember well your lessons that these stone rings were found in Getae by your ancestors when they first settled this land from the West. Who raised them and for what purpose is lost in the mists of time, but the Druids hold them to be sacred and it is known that these are places of power where commune with the gods and ancestors is made easier; the veil between Tir na nÓg (Otherworld) and Annwn (Underworld) is said to be "thinner." Cormac as a priest of Arawn (lord of Annwn and the dead) is also well versed in the dolmens.

Siveon a lore check is unnecessary. Between you, Ker and Cormac you know that these are places of blood sacrifice (animals and enemies). If this is indeed Pictish territory then it is likely dedicated to their moon gods and/or The Cailleach Bheur (The Queen of Winter) who the Picts believe created the world.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Once the Kelts have had time to look around, Rhenmyr asks: "Should we check to barrows when Borric returns or just leave?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
For now, let's just say that Borric takes great pains to lay a false trail from the altar toward the direction of the other hillocks
Choosing the trail north that seems the most well-traveled, Borric periodically drop bits of crumbled hard-tack and takes heavy steps and breaks off the occasional heather twig, then carefully picks his way back to the altar jumping from stone to stone to avoid laying any tracks.

Siveon

Bot
"Guess he already answered your question." Marcán says, nudging Rhenmyr. "Borric, my stoic friend, it has been so long. Are you ready to explore the burrows?" he says with a twitch of sarcasm.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The lay of the land:

Xr5LdOY.jpg

The altar is the cairn between the trail and the menhirs which is where you all are currently located

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr stares at the heavy laden clouds overhead and stares across the moor for a good long while trying to catch some glint of the sun, but has no luck. His best guess is midday.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"I'd say it's about noon. If we're to explore the tombs, best to start." Rhenmyr sets off the find the entrance to the nearest barrow.

Siveon

Bot
"I suppose." Marcán shrugs, following Rhenmyr. "Were I a betting sort, I'd say these places are haunted. I hope you've prepared for more magic shenanigans, Borric."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Bah, a pox on all magicmen and their ilk." grumbles Borric as he marches ahead of Marcan.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Taking the leftmost branch of the muddy track, the band proceeds forth. The trail winds around the base of the hill and drops down into a shallow notch. At the bottom of this notch you see a short rope footbridge spanning a narrow but very deep chasm (perhaps no more than 10 feet wide). The thick hemp rope and the planks look weathered and in a somewhat poor state of repair.

Glancing across to the other side of the chasm, a heavily switch-backed trail climbs the steep, rocky hillside where you can just make out the tips of some standing stones perhaps 100 feet above you.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Rhenmyr ties a rope around himself and gives the other end to Borric. "If the bridge fails, haul me up. If it doesn't we'll have a lifeline should the bridge fail when one of you crosses." That said and done, Rhenmy crosses the bridge as carefully as he can.

nikolokolus

Arcane
9BA9tGZ.jpg

Rhenmyr carefully picks his way across the bridge. It groans in protest and sways sickeningly, but you make it to the other side without incident.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom