Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

nikolokolus

Arcane
Djivan was always a tough read for Rhenmyr. He never spoke of his past, but there were times when he would drop the odd comment, or speak somewhat sardonically about 'decadent Acadia.' As for him being craven or cowardly that might be a matter of opnion; he was always very cautious and would leave almost nothing to chance, having a contingency or escape plan for any encounter, but he never seemed like he was afraid of a fight.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'll be sending you a PM with all of the stuff you know about these three blokes. It's up to you if/how/when you want to share it

I'm at work so I'll write this stuff up when I get off in a few hours

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I really have to use that historian thing more. There's no cooldowns for that.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I really have to use that historian thing more. There's no cooldowns for that.
True, but remember this isn't perfect knowledge and it's also roughly tied to your level and experience in the world. You haven't seen a lot, so most of what you will know is rumors (that may or may not be true) and oral histories.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Might as well check this place out before we go jumping through portals. Anyone know anything about 'The Dolmens?'" Rhenmyr asks as he starts exploring the space more thoroughly.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Shit. It just occurred to me that Grimgravy was asking a GM type question in there. Failed my Intelligence check
Ker, Cormac and Márcan all have a passing knowledge of the Dolmens. Far to the north, across the breadth of the Coedwyg Cyfnos (Dusk Wood) is a valley whispered about in hushed tones. When the Kelts first settled Getae in an age gone by they came to a place of great cromlechs - arches of rough hewn standing stones. The people that dwelt amongst these massive monoliths was a hoary and hunched people of short stature, dark hair, sloping foreheads and prodigous brawn; the long-dead or disappeared Picts. The These brutish, cannabilistic savages attacked unprovoked, sniping unseen from dense banks of fog, rows of heather and gorse. A short but bloody war that lasted for several months eventually saw the Kelts victorius, with their swords of bronze and mail shirts proving overwhelming for their foemen armed with bone clubs, copper daggers and flint-tipped spears. The Kelts drove out the Picts and forced them into the soaring, white capped peaks of the Terminus Mons, but not without a cost. The elders say that the Picts cursed the very stones with dark magic and before long many of the Kelts grew ill or suffered unlikely calamities and after a short while the (then nomadic) Kelts were forced to abandon the place and move on. It's said that the the burial mounds under the standing stones contain vast riches for those intrepid (or perhaps foolish?) enough to take them, but very few who have braved the perilous journey through the woods and into the deep vale have returned to tell their tale and it's been over fifty years since anyone in your Clanhold has tried, and old Pádraig was never seen again.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Cursed tombs far in the wilderness. What could go wrong?" Rhenmyr asks continuing to search the area.

Siveon

Bot
Marcán scratches the back of his head, and then says "Well, putting aside the unlikely event of something bad happening," Marcán says sarcastically, "I can only imagine what'd the elders do to me if they found out that I willingly went there." He sighs. "Aside from that, I've also been thinking about those names Mr.Ghul mentioned. Although I have to say we Kelts like to embezzle our histories from time to time."

Oh wait, hold on, lemme do something lazy. Here's what Marcán knows about the three names:
Tychon:
The name Tychon is vaguely familiar to you, but not in a particularly good way. Over 100 years ago your clan at Kaer Eanyn was harried for months by a fierce Kimmerian warlord who had sailed across the wine-dark Aixenos sea with a large band of reavers and pillagers and landed in Getae where he began a series of vicious attacks and raids. Tales suggest that the Keltic god of Cerrnunos and his wild hunt lured him into the depths of the Coedwig Cyfnos (Dark Wood) and dragged he and his men into the underworld . . . you have your doubts about the means of his death or disappearance, but there is no doubt that he vanished as quickly as he appeared and the last place he had been seen was reportedly trying to take a shortcut through the mystical woods north of Kear Eanyn.

Al-Dirzzidi:
You know very little about this man, but your village druid once told you a story about a man with a very similar name (El Durzid) who could perform incredible feats of strength, agility and will; an Acadian or perhaps a dark-skinned Stygian from the trackless deserts who once slew an entire platoon of Hyperborean Armigers with nothing but his open hands and bare heels, in defense of a group of impoverished Mitriac pilgrims. It's said that the man came to Odessos over 75 years ago and was known to walk the roads aiding travelers and even stayed overnight in your village once on his way to talk with the Great Druid for some unknown or forgotten reason.

Abazion:
The name Abazion is known to you but little else. You know he is one of a handful of sorcerers in Odessos, but the business of wizards is always their own and you've never crossed paths with the man. However, you do half-remember something from years ago. Your father had a strange encounter with an Abazion (the name is not common, but not exactly rare) at a roadside inn. The man was quite drunk and offered to buy all of your father's swords on his way to market. When your father refused, the man became quite agitated and cursed him before storming out. The next morning when your father went to inspect his cart and its cargo, he discovered that every blade had been withered with rust, as if it had been lain outside in the elements for 50 years. Your father was fairly certain that this "Abazion" had bewitched the blades, but counted himself lucky that a chance encounter with a wizard hadn't gone much, much worse.

Siveon

Bot
Eh, you're the GM. I'd say it's more of a consequence of not much happening in between exposition. And that it takes a lot longer to do things since it's PBP.

Oof, getting Deja Vu again.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
We just got a payout for killing the tentacle plant. Been talking but not a lot else since then.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The chamber is eerily quiet. From inside the newly opened passage the faintest, oddly "tinny" sound can be heard wafting out. About five feet beyond the entrance you peer in and are greeted by your reflections - like peering into the surface of a slightly turbulent pool of water. The surface shimmers and wavers, casting a very pale bluish light.

nikolokolus

Arcane
There are no other exits or things of interest?
The walls of the dome-like room are smoothly polished granite and diorite and the floor is a mirror smooth surface of polished obsidian. Strangely there are no seams or cracks or evidence of masonry, the structure looks like it was cut from the naked stone. The craftsmanship seems inhumanly perfect. The only visible exits in the room are the small circular apse Koren opened up with some sort of spell and the tunnel that lead here.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Anyone have any bright ideas on getting out of here, apart from soul tearing screams? And I assume we'll deal with getting back IF we manage to find the dragon's blood."

I'll take the lead with rift jumping if no one speaks up with an alternative.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I just had a bit of an idea. I'm considering handing out some kind of benny or award for players that take bold risks with their characters. My first thought is a small bonus experience award might be appropriate. The upside is that you'll advance slightly faster the more risks you take. The downside is that the more risks you take the more likely you'll eventually get bitten in the ass for pushing your luck too hard.

Any thoughts or feelings on this? Mainly I'm looking for a way to reward and incentivize active participation. If this is a terrible idea just say so and we'll pretend I never said anything.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
By that coin you should consider doling out even more xp if the player covers all his bases. :P
"No need of haste, friends." Hefting a coil of rope from his sack, Borric proceeds to tie one end around his waist. "One or two of you could hold tight to this while I scout ahead. Simply pull if I tug at the rope twice."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom