Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

"I agree. We probably want to close the doors to the balcony. Just incase that thing decides that the balcony looks like a good place to rest."

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Well, it's not like we've been hiding our presence very well. Considering what we had to fight just to get here, I'd think a door shutting would be the least of our problems."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
While Cormac looks for holes for his rod, Rhenmyr goes and inspects the set of closed doors.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Wth, I didn't get ANY notifications on this for like a week. FFS.
Health: [1d6] = 5

And I get a Druid Spell! Cool, I'm getting Detect Snares and Pits. Hey, there's no thieves, have to pick up some of the slack.

"The 'ells got you three spooked?" Marcán gets up after his small breather from another near death experience.
Detect Snares and Pits ain't very useful right about now, it only works in the wilderness. Oh, remember you can change divine spells every day if you need :)

"Maybe we could find and take more fire jugs. You know, if that beast gets close we could roast it. Let me rest a bit, and I then I could summon Cernunnos' wisdom; it would let me be speak with that beast. Probably."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Ugh. Notifications are borked right now apparently; just noticed I've missed something like 10 posts.

Rhenmyr approaches the double doors set into the recessed arch and looks them over. The surface is a finely wrought metallic looking stone - glossy and slick. The entire door is covered with a bas relief that gives the appearance of a hooded and bearded man. In the pupils of its graven eyes you notice a hole about a thumb's width in diameter and when you stoop slightly to look in the holes you realize that they do not appear to penetrate the door, but they have the appearance of being impossibly deep and whatever light you cast on them seems to be swallowed up.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Cormac, the stick might go over here! I don't think the beast was at all natural, Ker. I don't imagine it would have anything nice to say. The wayward dog from earlier might be worth talking to."

Siveon

Bot
Whoops! Alright, do-over, Faerie Fire.

"I'd say we keep a few jugs handy in case we run into other beasties, Ker. Just as well, might want to hold off on doing any hasty before we stumble into another death trap, Cormac. "

Cormac brings the stick and hands it over to Rhenmyr. "Here you go, give it a try! I'll stand back over here across the room."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"The ring too, if you don't mind." Rhenmyr checks the rod, ring, and hole. Which hand and finger was the ring on, left or right? How many holes are there? At first you used singular, then plural. Does it look like the rod would fit in the hole(s)? Does the ring fit the rod? If so does it have a notch/ groove to catch the ring in place?

nikolokolus

Arcane
There are two holes, one in the center of each eye and the ring was on the index finger of a right hand
Rhenmyr examines the ring closely and it doesn't appear to be wide enough to fit over the rod. When you hold the end of the rod up to one of the holes it looks like it would be a near-perfect fit for either opening.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"So the rod seems like it would fit in either eye of this engraving. Any ideas on how to choose which one?" Rhenmyr asks as he goes the compare the gold toothed skull to the engraving on the doors. Putting the ring on his right index finger if it fits, he scans the door with the mirror for good measure.
Is it one eye per door or both on one door?

nikolokolus

Arcane
"So the rod seems like it would fit in either eye of this engraving. Any ideas on how to choose which one?" Rhenmyr asks as he goes the compare the gold toothed skull to the engraving on the doors. Putting the ring on his right index finger if it fits, he scans the door with the mirror for good measure.
Is it one eye per door or both on one door?

Ah, I think I see where the confusion is. The door is a double-door that splits the carved face right down the nose. So one eye on each side.

The gold toothed skull doesn't seem immediately related to the face in relief on the door in any obvious way when you hold it up, but holding the mirror up and looking at the door immediately unsettles you. You're filled with the unshakable feeling that this is no simple door; the face on the door seems to shift and move almost as if it were the face of a living, sleeping man.

Setting the mirror aside, next you slide the ring on your right index finger and instantly a wave of euphoria washes over your body and a buzzing, tingly sensation seems to flood your arm. You have to supress an almost unbearable urge to laugh out loud as butterlies fill your stomach - the feeling is not unlike what you imagine it must be like to fly as a bird does. A minute later this feeling starts to subside and is followed by a wave of nausea - you are now doubled over with cramps (roll a saving throw).

Siveon

Bot
"Alright, taking that ring ouffa ya." Marcán takes Rhenmyr's hand and tries to pull the ring off.

"I can't wait until we find out what's going on so we can get out of here! This place gives me the creeps worse than the crypts I worked in back home! Weird creatures, deadly plants, spore people! What's next?"

Siveon

Bot
"Ah...see, about that...We're kind of, well just a little, running from the law? Can't say outside is much safer, but at least the threat is human."

nikolokolus

Arcane
You find yourself doubled over in pain, but with Marcan's help you are able to pull the ring from your finger and immediately you begin to feel better.

During the ordeal the mangy dog finally appears in the room and begins snuffing at the pile of bones in the center of the room, after a few moments he picks up an femur bone in his mouth and walks over to where you are all gathered by the strange door and drops it at your feet and sits on his haunches wagging his tail.

As for the skill, I was mostly checking for evidence of damage to one eye.
There is no damage to either eye

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Ow. That was unpleasant." Rhenmyr picks of the femur and compares it to the rod.

"Running from the law? Uh, this must be an interesting story. We do need to find out what is going on here and why I was attacked and kept here. Plus, while it is terrible in here, I have a feeling prison out there is worse."

Cormac walks over to the door and takes a close look at the door to see if he can figure out how to open it himself.

"I wonder why the dog picked out that bone?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom