Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

nikolokolus

Arcane
So Helly because we're in the melee part of the round (missiles and movement go first) your lob of the urn can't happen until the beginning of the next round. Depending on how initiative goes you'll be able to lob your grenade after Sokrates tries to fall back, either because he acts first or you hold your action until he is clear. Does that make sense?

Next Round:
vine-blob Initiative [1d6] = 2
Borric and Sokrates Inititiative [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5

Last edited:

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So Helly because we're in the melee part of the round (missiles and movement go first) your lob of the urn can't happen until the beginning of the next round. Depending on how initiative goes you'll be able to lob your grenade after Sokrates tries to fall back, either because he acts first or you hold your action until he is clear. Does that make sense?

Next Round:
vine-blob Initiative [1d6] = 2
Borric and Sokrates Inititiative [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5
It does, I thought it'd happen this way too!
Initiative [1d6] = 5

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Looks like I'm up. Since I'm in the closet already, do I have time to grab and throw another urn or Ker's jar of liquid after people get out of the way?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Looks like I'm up. Since I'm in the closet already, do I have time to grab and throw another urn or Ker's jar of liquid after people get out of the way?

Yes indeed. Just hold your action until after Sokrates moves.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Fuel for the fire!"
Rhenmyr sets one of the stoppered barrels on its side and gets ready to roll it into the mass of vines.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Borric reaches into his belt and pulls forth a dagger and hurls it end over end at the beast.
Borric throws a dagger [1d20-1] = 1-1 = 0, damage [1d4+2] = 4+2 = 6
Perhaps he should have thought twice about hurling the poorly balanced blade?
Borric's Fumble saving throw [1d20] = 17 vs 14
Fortunately it sails harmlessly over Sokrates' head.

Sokrates' armor looks absolutely horrible. It's now half-dissolved and bits of it continue to melt and fall away. However, undaunted he carefully retreats holding his shield and sword in front of him, ready to parry.

(All clear).

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
With his allies out the way, Rhenmyr rolls the barrel towards the vines. "Light it up, Ker!"

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Oh yeah, brother, you know it!!"
Ker takes the jar in one hand and, in a move that would make many practitioner of a certain sport in a parallel world jealous, throws it like a cannonball towards the crawling blob of vines.
Throwing the jar of death [1d20] = 20
sonfabitch!

Rhenmyr gives the sloshing barrel of spirits a hardy shove and it rocks back and forth as it trundles across the flagstones before it comes to an abrupt stop as it strikes the bulk of the horrific "thing" bearing down on you all. Ker does a pivot on his foot and lobs the clay urn like a shot-put and it comes down directly on top of the barrel and erupts in flame and a violent explosion rocks the tower a half a second later. There is a blinding flash and everyone in the room is thrown backward with the violence of the concussion.
exploding barrel damage in a 10 foot radius [6d6] = 23 and max damage of exploding urn against the vine-horror (36)

Unfortunately Sokrates is not quite out of harms way when the barrel explodes
Sokrates save for half damage [1d20] = 20 vs. 12
Even though he jumps flat to avoid the blast, the flames wash over him and burn him horribly. His armor and clothes have mostly disintegrated from the blob-things acidic blood and now his skin is blackened and the unmistakable smell of cooked flesh hangs in the air.

When the smoke clears and you begin to pick yourselves up off the floor one by one. Immediately you notice that the massive thing has been burnt to a crisp; wisps of thick tarry smoke curl off it as it sloughs off bits of ash as it smolders.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Whoa! Look at it burn!. Bloody hell, Sokrates!" Rhenmyr dashes over to the stricken paladin and applies first aid.

I'm curious how the barrel I rolled out affected the outcome. Would the vine-horror have survived without it?

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Whoa! Look at it burn!. Bloody hell, Sokrates!" Rhenmyr dashes over to the stricken paladin and applies first aid.

I'm curious how the barrel I rolled out affected the outcome. Would the vine-horror have survived without it?

Without the barrel and just regular damage from Ker's "grenade" (no max for the critical) it probably wouldn't have quite been enough in just that round (average damage from the urn was 21)

Rhenmyr flips Sokrates over and pats out the flames that are still smoldering. You put your ear close to his mouth to see if he's still breathing and see what you can do to help him.
(roll a 5d6 Wisdom check, a cleric or druid rolls 4d6 3d6)

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"And may he rest in peace. Let's see if I can't wake up our little Cormac." Marcán walks over to his cousin and shakes him like a madman.

"WAKE UP PRINCESS!"

Cormac rustles a little and while starting to regain consciousness. "Mom, what happened? He rubs his eyes and looks up at Marcán. Oh! I mean uh, Marcán, my head feels like I was hit with a bag of rocks!" Cormac lays on the ground holding his head trying to regain his bearings.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Of course it does, cos. Now..." Marcán points with an outstretched thumb toward his collapsed gargantuan friend. "Will you go see if Sokrates has finally met his maker?"

Cormac gets up slowly and stumbles over to Sokrates. When he gets near Sokrates, he falls over and crawls the last few feet to examine Sokrates. "This doesn't look good one bit!"

nikolokolus

Arcane
After poking and prodding at Sokrates a bit, Cormac is pretty convinced he's "cooked" (pardon the pun). Most of his armor has melted off his body and has added its own peculiar wounds to the burns inflicted by the exploding barrel of spirits - Not much left for it, but to say a quiet prayer and hope he's in a happier place.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Damn. Fare thee well, big man. Cormac, if you don't mind dealing with his body we can check the room."

All his gear is trashed?

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Damn. Fare thee well, big man. Cormac, if you don't mind dealing with his body we can check the room."

All his gear is trashed?
his armor is destroyed, but I'll roll a saving throw for his other equipment. Gimme a few minutes and I'll update this post. At the very least the bronze coat-of-plates that you guys liberated from the dead hyperborean at the ferry is unspoilt.

Looking over Sokrates' body the only thing that appears to have survived the acidic blood of the strange creature was his sword; a well-made if unremarkable bastard sword. Everything else is ruined by one degree or another.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom