Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

nikolokolus

Arcane
OOC: Cormac, Ker and Rhenmyr have all heard of this nasty parasite: Rot Grubs. The only known reliable treatment is flame, which is said to cause the little beasties to burst forth from the skin.

You three (Ker, Cormac and Rhenmyr) roll a 3d6 wisdom check (roll under) to see if you know more specifics.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Do I not know about them or is it just because I wasn't in the room?

Marcán follows Rhenmyr's plight and speeds into the room. "The bloody hell is going on here?" He asks.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Do I not know about them or is it just because I wasn't in the room?

Marcán follows Rhenmyr's plight and speeds into the room. "The hell is going on here?" He asks.
It's outside of Marcán's expertise.

Rhenmyr and Ker both spring to action, you've heard about these things before and it's thought that cutting them from the flesh isn't generally regarded as effective; as any segments that break off and remain under the skin will quickly regenerate. You both know that you have maybe less than a half-hour to apply some kind of treatment, either open flame applied directly to the skin or an invocation of 'Cure Disease.'

Wisdom Check: [3d6] = 15
"Oh wait, rot grubs! If someone burns them out, I'll do what I can to heal the burns."
I made my widsom check. I'll stand by to cast cure light wounds on the burn and damage the grubs do.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
"Yes, that's it! Sokrates, hold Rhenmyr and Marcan, please give us a torch! Hang in there Rhenmyr, it's gonna be painful..."
Ker puts the torch to where Rhenmyr tells him the things are and prays for them to quickly die out.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Marcán, ask Sokrates how he wants to help. Quickly if you don't mind. If he doesn't have a fantastic idea, the torch will do."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Sokrates moves over to Rhenmyr and lays both of his hands on your arm, he closes his eyes and mutters something barely audible in Kimmerian. Shortly thereafter a nimbus of faint amber light peeks out from the cracks in his fingers and you (Rhenmyr) feel a warmth suffuse your flesh. A few seconds later he removes his hands and you instinctively rub your hand over your infected arm. The horrifying sensation of the grubs burrowing into your flesh moments ago is gone and the wounds they made are completely healed over. "Sokrates help!" the hulking simpleton intones.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Hah! Well done my friend! And thank Mitra! When we've got this place cleared out, I'm getting you a drink!" Rhenmyr says smiling and clapping Sokrates' on the shoulder. "Whatever he did killed the grubs. I hope never to experience that again! Things crawling under your skin....ughh. Thank you all for the prompt response. Excitement's over for now. Did you find anything interesting?"

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
"Too bad. Flame purging is efficient and good for your body and soul, you know? Oh well, it'll be for another time. Anyway, I found those herbs I don't recognize, salt and sticks." Ker shares the stuff with the others. "Pass me that book, Marcan, I want to see if I can make sense of these druidic symbols."

Siveon

Bot
Marcán tosses the book over to Ker. "All we found was this, Rhenmyr. Let's see if Ker could make sense out of it."

We haven't seen the Study yet, correct?

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Good for the body and soul..." Rhenmyr mutters. "Let's remember that if Ker runs afoul of Rot Grubs in the future."

Rhenmyr inspects the herbs and sticks on the off chance he recognizes them.

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Too bad. Flame purging is efficient and good for your body and soul, you know? Oh well, it'll be for another time. Anyway, I found those herbs I don't recognize, salt and sticks." Ker shares the stuff with the others. "Pass me that book, Marcan, I want to see if I can make sense of these druidic symbols."

Marcán tosses the book over to Ker. "All we found was this, Rhenmyr. Let's see if Ker could make sense out of it."

We haven't seen the Study yet, correct?

Ker cracks open the small tome and scans its content very closely. It's not written in the secret language of Druids, but looks to be high Illyrian or Hyperborean - you can recognize the numerals easy enough (even if you don't fully understand them) and the astrological/astronomical symbols look like something you've seen once or twice, but they aren't specifically druidic.

"Good for the body and soul..." Rhenmyr mutters. "Let's remember that if Ker runs afoul of Rot Grubs in the future."

Rhenmyr inspects the herbs and sticks on the off chance he recognizes them.

Rhenmyr reaches into the thin shiny-papered case and withdraws one of the small ivory colored paper "sticks." It's nearly perfectly round and rolls easily between your thumb and forefinger. One end is stoppered up with some kind of cotton and little bits of fine, dried and shredded herb; some of it flutters to the floor when you pinch it lightly. You hold it to your nose and it has a distinct, pungent, earthy smell that is heady but not altogether unpleasant. You turn the case over in your hands and although it is heavily faded you can just make out some strange runes and a rendering of a part of some sort of animal just below it - although it is too faded to make out what kind.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Rhenmyr repacks the bundle and gives it back to Cormac. "Nothing I recognize. Incense maybe? Did any of you notice the runes and mystery animal on the case?"

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
"Can any of you read Hyperborean? If not I'm afraid we'll have to get a translator for that journal... I had no time to check the sticks and herbs, pass them around so that everybody can have a try."

Siveon

Bot
"I can, but it didn't really look like it at first. Let me see the damned thing again."

Marcán tries to read the book one last time with his knowledge of Hyperborean (and perhaps Illyrian).

nikolokolus

Arcane
"I can, but it didn't really look like it at first. Let me see the damned thing again."

Marcán tries to read the book one last time with his knowledge of Hyperborean (and perhaps Illyrian).

Taking the book in hand Marcán thumbs through it attempting to decipher it. Although you understand the script - line after line of numerals in the first column and a strange symbol in the other column Ker tells you that they are astrological or astronomical symbols of some sort - extracting any meaning proves futile at this point. Perhaps there is some cipher to decode it somewhere, or maybe it's written in a shorthand only its author can explain, or perhaps an astrologer or astronomer could makes heads or tails of it if given enough time to study it.

Cormac inspects the bundle to see what if he knows what it is and what it is used for. After inspecting the bundle, he looks under the shoulder of Marcán to see the symbols also.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Cormac looks the bundle of polished sticks over attempting to divine their purpose and tries to help Cormac suss out the meaning of the book.

Roll an intelligence check (3d6 lower or equal to INT)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom