Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Falling back to the others, Rhenmyr says, "Guys, something that sounds less than human may be joining us from above shortly. We should get into defensive positions. Whatever it is will have the high ground if we fight at the stairs. So, I suggest we cross the hall to the other room. It'll will have to get through the iron bound door first, or come around to the burnt out door. We should have time to prepare either way. Cormac, do you have a weapon and do you know what might be coming?"

We're still missing Cormac's character sheet. Updatan please!

nikolokolus

Arcane
Falling back to the others, Rhenmyr says, "Guys, something that sounds less than human may be joining us from above shortly. We should get into defensive positions. Whatever it is will have the high ground if we fight at the stairs. So, I suggest we cross the hall to the other room. It'll will have to get through the iron bound door first, or come around to the burnt out door. We should have time to prepare either way. Cormac, do you have a weapon and do you know what might be coming?"

We're still missing Cormac's character sheet. Updatan please!
EDIT:
Updated Fionghall's sheet on the main post and added some index links to get the story up to date.
Bon Appetit.

Last edited:
Cormac takes inventory of his gear and looks for anything missing. "I never saw Koren Ghul during the attack. Just the apprentice."

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
"Comrades, maybe we could one of the doors as cover, or projectile if needed be! Let me see if we can remove one of them!" Ker checks the first door and the alcove's door's hinges.
"Those crates from before coule be useful too!"

Cormac looks around at what kind of objects or furniture in the room that could be used as cover. "No, I don't know what might be coming, unfortunately."

nikolokolus

Arcane
The stout iron-banded door that blocks egress to the other chamber (the one near the stairs up) hasn't been tested yet, so it's difficult to say whether or not it could be removed. The door barring the alcove appears to be made of solid bronze or brass and pivots on three hinges of solid metal set deep into recesses in the jamb, in theory it could be lifted and moved, however based on the amount of resistance it gives to being swung in our out, it must weigh hundreds of pounds.

The crates and urns that fill the other room looked small enough for a single person to lift and move around however. If you wanted to it would be possible to pick up and move one item near the stairs per round (minute).

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Alright, into the room with the crates. Two of us to guard the iron banded door, 3 to guard the burnt out door, and Cormac you can heal and back up either end. Maybe we'll have time get some empty crates to block the doorways. Sound good?"

I don't want to railroad our NPC'd characters, but they are two of our heaviest hitters. I'll frontline at the burnt door if needed, but I could second row there with my spear. I'd put Borric and Sokrates frontline at the burnt door, Rhenmyr second line there, Ker and Marcán at the Iron bound door that hopefully will hold, and Cormac in reserve. Suggestions/comments welcome as always.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"A plan is better than no plan. Ker and I will stick to this door. The fully intact one. If we see anything, we'll give you a nicely tuned Keltic yelp. Try not to die, people. Especially you Cormac, we have a lot to talk about."

I personally would prefer just sticking together with our backs against the wall, but I do see some advantage with guarding the exits.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
I kind of wanted to put us in a room with two exits so retreat is an option. Start thinking up battle haikus because might need them.

Rhenmyr moves into the room with the crates and starts shifting any empty crates toward the burnt out door while making a quick perusal for anything useful in the full crates.

"I'll do what I can Marcán." Cormac moves into the room with the empty crates and looks for a good place to position himself that will be behind everyone.

Are there enough crates that I can put two in front of me for cover?

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ker gives his lantern to Marcan "Put it somewhere so we can see who's coming and not be seen, I'll get some cover"
Ker then looks for a light crate and brings it next to the door. He then hides behind it, readying his sling.

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Alright, into the room with the crates. Two of us to guard the iron banded door, 3 to guard the burnt out door, and Cormac you can heal and back up either end. Maybe we'll have time get some empty crates to block the doorways. Sound good?"

I don't want to railroad our NPC'd characters, but they are two of our heaviest hitters. I'll frontline at the burnt door if needed, but I could second row there with my spear. I'd put Borric and Sokrates frontline at the burnt door, Rhenmyr second line there, Ker and Marcán at the Iron bound door that hopefully will hold, and Cormac in reserve. Suggestions/comments welcome as always.

ERYFKRAD messaged me just yesterday about his internet situation. At his university the Codex is blocked so he's basically had to bow out. At this point Sokrates and Borric are basically henchmen to the party; that is, they'll take orders, but they still have wills of their own and won't do anything that seriously contradicts their beliefs or personalities.

Neither character is a coward, so them taking up front-line positions is entirely reasonable. I'll still manage their rolls and whatnot, but if one or more of you wants to take responsibility for their actions and tactics that's something I'm open to allowing. If nobody wants the responsibility then we'll just keep doing it the way we've done it so far.

Everyone trundles from the alcove into the storage room and swiftly starts moving crates and containers for several minutes to create a barrier around the burnt out door. Sokrates stand side by side in the gap with sword and Maul held at the ready while Rhenmyr stands a pace behind them with his spear at the ready. Ker's lantern is hung from a prong that juts from a wooden post at the center of the room casting its wan yellow light through the door, illuminating a narrow wedge that extends about twenty feet beyond.

As you all stand with bated breath, the scuttling sound grows louder and nearer, clearly coming from overhead as it moves down the stairway that passes over this room. Moments later a hideous creature about 3 feet long and 2 high feet probes it's tentacled gray head into the dim pool of light.
EYcFKYQ.jpg
Seconds later Rhenmyr, Sokrates, and Borric perceive a second identical creature in the gloom just beyond the light cast by the lantern.

Roll for Initiative!

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Initiative [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7

"Ughh. Aren't we lucky. Giant ticks!. If there's no action at the back door there, you guys might be able to circle around and hit them from behind!"

If you want us to take responsibility for our "henchmen," I could control Borric and maybe Siveon could take Sokrates. Marcán is the only one who speaks his language after all. But I'm ok with how they've been handled so far.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
So we've got initiative for everyone but the our henchmen. I know spells and missiles come first, but I assume the three of us will block most of that. Can I press the attack from the safety of the second row? Is the first bug in melee range?

nikolokolus

Arcane
So we've got initiative for everyone but the our henchmen. I know spells and missiles come first, but I assume the three of us will block most of that. Can I press the attack from the safety of the second row? Is the first bug in melee range?
If you are holding your ground, then you basically drop to the back of the order, but during your turn you have to tell me that you are holding your action until the enemy makes it's move. Attacks in this case happen simultaneously unless you have reach (like your spear). That only really makes a difference if you kill your foe with your attack.

I'll go ahead and roll initiative for Sokrates and Borric (sort of forgot :oops: )

Borric's Initiative [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 Sokrates' Inititiative [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6

Everyone state your intent (and if anybody is taking responsibility for Sokrates or Borric do the same for them) and I'll sort out the action based on everybody's initiative.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Sokrates and Borric make themselves small behind their shields, sacrificing combat prowess for defense (-2 to-hit, +1 AC) and wait for the giant ticks to close.

The lead tick rears itself up on its hind legs and lunges forward at Borric, as does the second slightly smaller creature.
Giant Tick (1) [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3 damage [1d4] = 4, Giant Tick (2) [1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4 damage [1d4] = 1
Neither manages to find the mark and the first badly botches its lunge and falls on its back exposing it's vulnerable underbelly (-2 AC until the start of its next turn).

As the ticks rebound off of Borric's parries, he and Sokrates counter.
Sokrates Attack [1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21 damage [1d8+2] = 2+2 = 4
Sokrates' blade bites into the thick chitinous shell of the tick and a thick pulse of glowing green fluid oozes forth
Borric's maul attack [1d20+2] = 8+2 = 10, damage [2d4+2] = 3+2 = 5
Unfortunately his maul slips in his hand it skips harmlessly off of the flagstone floor.

nikolokolus

Arcane
(Don't forget Crits do max damage).

Rhenmyr's spear darts out and pierces the wounded tick in its eye. More phosporescent gore spills forth and it spasmodically jerks about at the end of the spear before going limp and dropping to the floor motionless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom