Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Much as I would like to, that would let him know we're on to him and his rambling. Might as well sink his skiff instead in the morning." Borric whispers back.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I especially like how you are concerned a corpse will know we overheard him.
"Sounds like fun. Hyginos, do you know of anywhere safe to spend the night once we're all warm and dry?"

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's a corpse only if we kill him. He might not mind if we start a brawl, BUT, he could call all his crew in if he realises we understood him. Plus, the look on his face-if his boat is fucked- will be awesome.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
We could relive ourselves in his dingy as well. Might as well mess up BOTH of his boats.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"She knows the area. We don't. If she doesn't want to be found, we won't likely find her. Plus, we might not want to get tangled up with her 'guild'. She'll find us if she wants to, I'd say." Rhenmyr replies taking another swig.

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Sounds like fun. Hyginos, do you know of anywhere safe to spend the night once we're all warm and dry?"

Hyginos looks up from his cup of vile smelling spirits at the sound of his name, "Spend the night? Oh, my alley isn't far, but it might be a wee bit crowded if you all try to sqeeze in though. The Mitriac shrine isn't too far off. Mayhaps Father Inniros would provide you with shelter?"

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"The shrine sounds promising to me. A chance of shelter and Father Inniros can likely tell us more of what is going on. He did send Sokrates on his ill fated mission. What do the rest of you think?" Rhenmyr asks.

nikolokolus

Arcane
You all sit by the fire drying out for about a half an hour and eventually the the large bald man and the richly dressed man called Captain Quen rise and stagger out of the tavern as well as the last few struggling drunks from the back of the dimly lit space.

The barkeep motions over to you all. "I'm closing up, you lot will have to clear out."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Thanks for the drinks and the fire." Rhenmyr replies. "Time to go, gents."
To bed, with a small detour to relieve ourselves in the dingy if possible.

nikolokolus

Arcane
One by one you file out of the musty, low-ceilinged bar and exit into the foggy streets of lowtown. The avenues are utterly deserted save for your small troupe and a couple of extra large rats that scurry into an alley as you approach.

(Where do you want to go?)

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
***NOTICE***
So just a heads up. Sometime 'soon' (I'm being purposefully vague on purpose here) I'm going to start up a Crypts & Things game set in Clark Ashton Smith's Zothique setting. I'll be using the Fantasy Grounds VTT and Google Hangouts. I'm still willing to keep going with this Play-by-Post game if the majority of you guys are up for it, but honestly I've been pondering this for a little while and I'm not so sure the PbP thing is working out all that great - It's OK, but it's moving a lot slower than I anticipated and I'm finding it a little unwieldy for conveying the kind of game I like to run.

Long story short, anybody who is currently part of this ongoing game that wants to play in an online, virtual tabletop game is welcome to join. So far I've got two others (not part of this PbP game) who are up for it. You'd need a demo version of Fantasy Grounds (I have a full, licensed copy that will let me host any FG client) and a webcam/mic. My goal would be to run a game twice a month for at least 2-3 hours per session. The day is still something that would have to be ironed out, but it would probably be a Saturday or Sunday. Anyway, I'm just sitting here in a shitbag motel in the middle of bumfuck Nevada with too much time to think and this is where my head is at after texting with my cousin who's up for a game.

What you can expect:
  • Very Few house rules, pretty much by the book. If people want custom classes aside from the Fighter, Barbarian, Thief, Sorcerer I'm certainly open to working with anybody.
  • You don't have to be a Smith aficionado to play, but to appreciate it at least a little bit I highly recommend reading "The Dark Eidolon," "The Charnel God," "The Weaver in the Vault," and "The Last Hieroglyph." You can read them at www.eldritchdark.com or I have a pdf with the collected Zothique short stories for anybody interested.
  • The setting in a nutshell: The last continent of Earth, necromantic kingdoms, decadence, demon gods, cannibals, islands of torturers, lost cities, etc.
  • Why Fantasy Grounds over Roll20? Mainly, I found the Roll20 interface and setup tedious. Secondly, I got a deep discount on Fantasy Grounds and after testing it out I think it's going to work really well.
Hit me up with a pm if you have questions or concerns. At some point I'll send you all a message via pm, just in case some of you miss this post.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
I vote for finding the captain's boat and accidentally spilling alcohol on it and inadvertently setting it on fire.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
I'm down for boat arson if it's unlikely to take long. Then (or instead if the boat isn't readily available) to father Inniros for a place to stay and hopefully extra info.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Y'all are some vengeful motherfuckers. I don't see much of a problem with it, though.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Alright, I'm out of the wild wooly arsehole of America called Northern Nevada and back in civilization.

Somebody tell me what the plans are for the remainder of the night. The captain from the bar said he'd meet up with his men tomorrow night which means you have nearly a whole day to do other things before you can enact your sabotage.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Well, if we can't find his dingy tonight, we should find the good Father and get some info/rest.

nikolokolus

Arcane
As you stand in the middle of the streets discussing your plans a shrill voice from a window overhead pierces the foogy night air. "Won't you bastards shutup? People are trying to sleep! Piss off or I'll call for the watch!"

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Great! Now we have to burn down a house!
"Hyginos, lead the way to Father Iniros if you would please." Rhenmyr says quietly.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Hyginos ambles ahead of the troupe and waves his hand, "This way. It ain't far."

You walk for about five minutes or so along the winding avenue and round a bend that opens up into a broad open area. At the center is a hillock where the base of a brooding, squat tower sits illumined by the wan light of street braziers. Hyginos makes a sign against evil as he passes it and sidles up to the far edge of the street, seemingly staying as far away from the hill as he can. "Just another few blocks."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"What is the deal with the tower?" Rhenmyr asks quietly while trying to make a mental map of the area being traversed.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Hyginos barely slows down as he replies over his shoulder. "A place of vile sorcery. 'Tis the abode of the mighty wizard Koren Ghul, now abandoned these past 6 months." He points up into the gloom. "It's difficult to assay at night, but in the daylight the blackened stones about the crennelons still smolder from an eldritch fire. Quickly young masters, Mitra's shrine is but a short distance away near the Dawn Gate."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom