Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Ahh. Damn lead guard.

nikolokolus

Arcane
So I think we're down to Marcán, Ker, Sokrates & Heron then Borric in the movement and missiles attack. Assuming Ker tries to help Rhenmyr do his rope trick that happens in this part of the round. Marcán and Borric are currently in the radius of the smoke bomb, if they run out and toward the alley, the guard will probably get a free shot on one of them, but you'll still get your full move (40 yards).

Everybody else can tell me what they are doing and I'll sort it out according to initiative.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hey, shouting wouldn't give away my position. I'm still technically in the smoke right now.

bert

Arcane
So I hope you guys know, Sokrates is adverse to killing on a whim, especially those who aren't outright evil. He is a paladin after all!

Siveon

Bot
I got that. Marcan had no plans on killing guards either, hard to be a traveling bard with a bounty on your head after all.

bert

Arcane
I mean, we could always just run away. Disappear.

nikolokolus

Arcane
At this point only Borric and Marcán have definitely been spotted. When the lead guard emerged from the smoke he didn't appear to notice anything and his back is to you all, facing the cloud. If Marcán and Borric make a break for the alley on their movement phase it shouldn't spolil Rhenmyr and Ker's evolving plan. That's all I'm going to say at this point.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric attempts to move out of the smoke screen in a roughly eastwards direction, hoping to avoid the lead guard by using cover of buildings and the smoke to circle around him.

Can Bards throw voices by the way?

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
For the record, I'm not planning on killing the guards. I just want to trip them up / incapacitate them so we can make a break for the stairs.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Borric attempts to move out of the smoke screen in a roughly eastwards direction, hoping to avoid the lead guard by using cover of buildings and the smoke to circle around him.

Can Bards throw voices by the way?

Borric plunges ahead about 5 yards or so and emerges from the cloud in the middle of the open plaza that overlooks the bluff. You can see the top of the stairs southeast of your position about 20 yards away along with two guards who have shortswords drawn. Dead ahead, in the dim torchlight, you can just make out a path that runs along the cliff's edge that disappears to the left around the corner of the building nearest to you - it's about 20 yards away too. What I'm getting at is that you can keep running and since nobody is within melee range of you, you'll move slightly faster than your normal combat movement speed (4 X base movement rate = 48 yards per round vs. 40).

Ventriloquism is not a Bard's Class skill . . . but that's not to say they (or anybody else) couldn't try.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The movement speed is valid in spite of the ringmail I'm wearing? Also roll initiative or do I make the run to the path hooking left?

nikolokolus

Arcane
The movement speed is valid in spite of the ringmail I'm wearing? Also roll initiative or do I make the run to the path hooking left?

Movement rates are influenced a lot by strength; Ringmail and the typical load you carry isn't enough to slow Borric down from his default movement rate - you travel pretty light for a hulking barbarian ;)

Also, we're still just in the movement phase of the first round; no need to roll initiative again. I was just giving you options when you emerged from the cloud because if you decide you're making a break for it you can do that or move to engage the guards (because you've only moved 5 yards out of a possible 40 if you engage in melee or 48 if you flee the battlefield). Also, I need to redact something, the two guards haven't actually drawn their shortswords yet, they threw their spears into the cloud so they are currently unarmed.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Borric makes a run for the path turning left, moving away from the guards and looking to rejoin with the rest of the group.

nikolokolus

Arcane
OK. Borric will run for the cliffside path and turn left. Got it.

So Siveon what is Marcán doing in the movement phase of the round? Bear in mind you can't actually see and your action will precede Borric's (he goes after you). I also need to know what Sokrates is doing bert.

As for the NPCs, Hyginos is in the back of the alley with Heron and your prisoner Erasmos, they aren't moving yet. Perhaps they are waiting for instructions or to see what the rest of the group is doing?

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Mad paint skilz in the spoiler
Or Ker and I can swap positions if he likes. Npc's are out of the way.

Siveon

Bot
So what would I roll if I do attempt some sort of ventriloquism?

And would Guard 1 see me if I go the path opposite to Borric's? (Go west then right instead of east then left)

nikolokolus

Arcane
Grimgravy OK, got it. One exception Nightingale can't move until next round and she is currently next to you.

Siveon I assume you mean West alongside the long edge of the building? As for whether or not the guard would see you as you emerge from the cloud is impossible for you to know - currently you can't see anything. If you want to try to throw your voice, it's a completely untrained, unfamiliar act, chances would be against a 6d6 Ability Check vs. Charisma, but that would be your movement action for the round.

Also of note: The guards next to the stairs are continuing to blow their whistles. What kind of attention this will attract and when reinforcements might get to them is yet to be revealed.

Nightingale talks low to Rhenmyr who is beside her, "If we can ditch these guards I know of another way north of here, but we must get to the Servant's Entrance of the Optimate's Ransom. Quickly, we haven't much time!"

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Right. We just need to extract our two 'drunken' friends first" Rhenmyr replies in equally low tones.

Siveon

Bot
Marcán runs alongside Borric's path and screams at the top of his lungs, "Ha-ha! You won't catch me, for I am Gonn the Great! The greatest sorcerer-thief in all the lands! Why, this appearance is just one of many - taken from the commonfilth you call citizens!"

I know I go before Borric, but it was just for clarity's sake. Can I bluff and run? Is that even possible?

Also sorry for copying your stuff, ERYFKRAD, I just didn't want to risk getting mortally stabbed this early. At least this still works with the tripwire plan. I lure the 2 guards to the alleyway, and Guard 1 will try to cut me off, setting off the tripwire.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Marcán runs alongside Borric's path and screams at the top of his lungs, "Ha-ha! You won't catch me, for I am Gonn the Great! The greatest sorcerer-thief in all the lands! Why, this appearance is just one of many - taken from the commonfilth you call citizens!"

I know I go before Borric, but it was just for clarity's sake. Can I bluff and run? Is that even possible?

Also sorry for copying your stuff, ERYFKRAD, I just didn't want to risk getting mortally stabbed this early. At least this still works with the tripwire plan. I lure the 2 guards to the alleyway, and Guard 1 will try to cut me off, setting off the tripwire.
Sometimes, a man's gots ta do what a man's gots ta do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom