Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

nikolokolus

Arcane
Nightingale flashes a grin at Ker as she cranes her neck to look at him, "Thanks friend. Now let's hop to it!"

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHA! This is what pnp is like... Awesome!

"My question has not been answered, Thieving One. Who would have killed you?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Nightingale doesn't reply to Borric immediately, instead she hoarsely whispers to Rhenmyr, "Take this alley! No, not this one, that one! . . . Straight on ahead . . . OK hold up . . . OK, go." and so on for several minutes as you wind through back alleys, side streets and dimly lit avenues until you find yourself about 50 yards north of the grand staircase that leads downward into Lowtown, the wharf and whatever else might be down below. At the top of the stairs are three guards standing at attention, visibly craning their necks looking westward towards the direction of a great commotion that seems to have erupted. You hear muffled shouting echo from the top of the inner wall in the direction of the alley where you first met this burglar. "Ummm . . . What was that?" She says to Borric finally. "Who would kill me? My Boss that's who, if I come back empty handed three times in a row. If he doesn't kill me, then . . . well, it won't be anything good that's for sure!" She looks around, then up and down the path along the top of the cliff that divides the Upper City from the Lower. "Alright, you've all been real peaches, but I've got one more favor to ask. I need to slip past those guards so I can get home, otherwise I have to go to plan B and I'd really rather not do plan B if I can help it." Her mouth flashes a sour look of distaste. "Unless you all have any other bright ideas?"

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"We all have business in low town. I'd take the stairs down as well, if possible." Rhenmyr says. "We need a distraction...or another of our good bard's stories. Perhaps they could be convinced to help their comrades."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Is there not another way down, some wall we can climb, mayhap? In the worst of cases, we could perhaps stuff the Thieving One into a sack and stroll through, were she to stay silent."

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán sighs. "Let it be known that I am not a selfish man. Well, I do have a plan (that doesn't involve stuffing people into sacks), and it involves you Ker...and an unlucky volunteer. Does anyone want to be set on fire today?"

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ker smiles somberly "I wish I could help, old friend, but I'd need some time to meditate beforehand and I doubt we have hours to kill..."
Ker then gets closer to the group and whisper grinningly "We could very well use her as a *distraction* though"

Siveon

Bot
Marcán chuckles. "I think any plans involving sneaking someone in, shouldn't involve revealing that someone. I'll just have to mix up my plan a bit. Nightingale, when you see an opening take it. Watch and learn, friends." Marcán makes a nulled face, remembering the times as a child whenever one of his clanmates had one swig too many.

He walks drunkenly toward the three guards murmuring something when he gets close he practically screams his head off and then goes into various low tones. "GrreEEAAAtings...friensshs, guards ar our friensshs right? COULD you mayhap, mayhap, mayhap - point me to the nearrest een? I cannot seem, see, to find my uh... friensshs and I needs a place tonight." he hunches over to one of the guards, awkwardly putting a hand on his shoulder. "I THINK...now I'm not sure, but I THINK I may be a bit tipssee so that might be a problem." he burps, and then laughs gingerly to himself, whispering something about a woman.

Do I need to make another roll?

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Borric decides to join Marcan, deciding to break into drunken song in the hopes that the guards will let them through just so they could have silence-

"OOooHhh when I come -hic back from a long day,
I shee my Korra she ish run awaaaaaaaaaaay,
Sho I take my shteed and give her chashe,
For a run-away love means I looooshe my fashe,

But then I know she ish loooooooooooooong gone,
But I keeeeeeeep loooking on and oooooooooooooon,
Woe to the dog that keeps her from meeeeeeeeeee,
But no, keep her, she eats more than any man you can sheeeeeeeee,

OOOoooooooohh my love ish gone, but that mattersh not,
The night ish young and I care not a dot,
But when the day ish done and nothing left to dooooooo,
Let's goooo then for a drink all of youuuuuuuuuu!!!"

Holy fuck what did I type :lol:

nikolokolus

Arcane
As Borric and Marcán approach the gurds, one strides forward with his hand aloft, "Hold. The inns are back by the Bazaar. The stairs are closed. Move on."

You don't need to roll right now. Drunken caravaners, mercenaries and foreigners are probably a common sight in this part of the city, and since you are clearly dressed as a foreigner in your breeks and plaid tartan, along with Borric's fur-lined armor you fit the bill.

Also everyone gets 75 for the little stunt you all pulled with the guards earlier. Oh and ERYFKRAD, bonus points for poetry; give yourself 20 extra XP ;)
Running total XP:
Marcán Macc Fionnghal 244
Sokrates 256
Borric "The Brick" 321
Ker Gwez 256
Rhenmyr 301

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Marcán starts singing as well, with his own little touch in the mix.

"OoooOOOhh, gone is my girl, she left in the morn,
Gone is my girl, she left me with scorn,
Tears in my eyes, all I do is weep
With a tanksherd or more, all I want is sleep!

Drinking into the afternoon, with nary a thought in sight
nary a thought! nary a thought! nary a thought!
Rid this world of my blight!

With my mind gone asunder,
All I want is slumber,
Nary a thought in this dreaded night!

Hey!"

So yeah, bardic song 'sleep' on that one guard in front. What do I roll?

Er, not trying to XP hog or something I just think putting that guy to sleep is a good distraction. :oops:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
If Heron is still with us and has sleep prepared, now would be a good time.

Siveon

Bot
The anticipation is killing me. It's gotten to that point, I'm hooked, and I must bard things some more.

I really wish there were more video games that let's me do bard-like things (that are NOT The Bard's Tale).

nikolokolus

Arcane
Hungover the day after St. Paddy's day, will post later *barf* ;)

No seriously, I'll have some time a little bit later this morning to tackle all of this . . . Just not right now (oof).

nikolokolus

Arcane
Marcán starts singing as well, with his own little touch in the mix.

"OoooOOOhh, gone is my girl, she left in the morn,
Gone is my girl, she left me with scorn,
Tears in my eyes, all I do is weep
With a tanksherd or more, all I want is sleep!

Drinking into the afternoon, with nary a thought in sight
nary a thought! nary a thought! nary a thought!
Rid this world of my blight!

With my mind gone asunder,
All I want is slumber,
Nary a thought in this dreaded night!

Hey!"

So yeah, bardic song 'sleep' on that one guard in front. What do I roll?

Er, not trying to XP hog or something I just think putting that guy to sleep is a good distraction. :oops:

Well played sir!

I've been thinking about some of the mechanics for the Bard that I cooked up with respect to Bardic song. Frankly I think it's broken mathematically - Too hard to pull off with the Bard needing both a successful save and a failed save by the target. The problem is that the probability of pulling off a suggestion is very low (~21-25% on average), or at least lower than I think it needs to be to be useful. Yay, for being a guinea pig I guess?

How do you (and everybody else) feel about this revision?
Once per day a Bard's song can cause a variety of spell-like effects based on their level:
1st level: The Bard's song can fascinate a number of targets equal to his level if the target(s) fails their saving throw. The effect lasts for as long as the Bard sings + 1 round beyond. While fascinated the target will cease all actions and stand in rapt attention (N.B. An attack breaks the fascination effect).
3rd Level: The Bard's song can charm a single target in the same manner as the 1st level Magic-User spell "Charm Person"
5th Level: The Bard's song can impart a suggestion in a single target in the same manner as the 3rd level Magic-User spell "suggestion"
7th Level: The Bard's song allows them to mimic the effects of the 4th level Magic-User spell "Charm Monster."
9th Level: The Bard's song can mimic the effects of the 4th level Magic-User spell "Fear."
11th Level and beyond: The Bard can use his Bard Song twice per day or can combine two effects into a single song.

Let me know what you think before we proceed. If you don't want to change things I'm willing to let things play out a little bit.

Also, for now I think I'm going to make Heron a Mage-bot, but if you guys hang him out to dry I won't stop you.

Siveon

Bot
As a Bard I think that sounds fucking wonderful, but I think you're gonna need a more unbiased opinion.

Because, who in their right mind would say no to more stuff to do? Also, if this revision is implemented, does that mean I'm pretty much guaranteed to distract the guards?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
So all the 3rd level and above effects last how long? Also, Can the bard choose which effect to apply on target?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Well, it would make the bard less powerful at low levels (because a Suggestion is usually for 5th level+ M-Us) So there's a bit of a tradeoff. I might have to adjust the Experience table to account for the extra bennies ... but not by too much)

As for distracting the guards, it would depend. You'd be able to fascinate one of them if they fail their save, but there'd still be two guards to deal with.

nikolokolus

Arcane
So all the 3rd level and above effects last how long? Also, Can the bard choose which effect to apply on target?

The spell-like effects that mimic a spell, use the same rules as those in the book. If the Bard is high enough level they can pick and choose any of their available effects

nikolokolus

Arcane
If we implement this change, then I'm thinking the Bard would use the Ranger's Experience Points progression to keep things fair

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm also mulling some additional boons for other classes as well: An animal companion for Druids at second level, Fighting styles from Crypts & Things for fighters, a smite unholy ability for Paladins and deity specific abilities for Clerics.

Food for thought

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
So you're handing out new toys left and right, and my Ranger gets nothing new until level 9? :negative:.
But seriously, I've got no complaints about any of the proposed changes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom