Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Erasmos, what do you know about the 'Fane'?" Rhenmyr asks the remaining thug.

edit
"I've been thinking," Rhemyr says, " the barman said someone who might have been you father crossed to the other side of the river, but Zelkor didn't mention that to you did he? Some thing doesn't add up here."

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"I like this mess not one bit." scowls Borric, "But if we must rid ourselves of this Vacant One, perhaps we should toss him out on the street and observe. Perhaps they that snatch the vagrants would deign to take him as well."

nikolokolus

Arcane
You all look around and see very little burnable material. The plank-road you are standing on is in the middle of a saltmarsh. South - where the hillside meets the marsh - there are some small scrubby trees that might be usable for such a purpose and enough dry ground to build a pyre.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
"A fire? Allow me to take care of it, fire is kind of, well, a hobby of mine."
Ker starts working on building a pyre near the hills
Ker turns to Hyginos as he gathers wood
"Say, old fellow, what are those Seekers the hutkeeper was talking about? I heard the legends, that they're some kind of elite inquisitors with iron masks, but are they a force to be reckoned with here?"
Sorry I wasn't that much around these last days, it has been quite hectic at work :-/
I lost 2 HP and gained 15XP from it, that's right? :M

nikolokolus

Arcane
No worries. And yes, 1 real HP of damage and 1 temporary point of damage that heals after an hour

You each take turns dragging the putrid corpse the quarter mile from hut to hill and set about collecting pieces of dead dry wood for a fire. It's well after sundown when you finish building the pyre and set it alight and Theron's body gives off a foul, execrable odor, that smells less of rotting flesh than it does of sewage. The other prisoner, the hulking Erasmos, offers no resistance and ambles along compliantly. He sits and stares deeply into the flames apparently oblivious to what is happening or to anything for that matter.

Hyginos turns to Ker when addressed, "The Seekers? I know a little I guess? Rumors say there's only a handful up here - maybe a dozen or so. About six months ago They took over their old chapter house that had been vacant for years and have been fixing it up; hiring masons, carpenters, rat-catchers and even trying to hire folks to be informers, but I don't think they've had much luck with that." He winks knowingly. "Lately I heard they'd been asking a lot of questions and making some threats down in lowtown. But somebody killing a few of them? I aint heard about that before. Guess I must 'ave been knocked out awhile?"

After about an hour the body has burned, leaving only blackened, charred bones. Night has fallen and you can hear wolves' howling echoing off of the hills in the distance. The lights of the citadel are visible a mile or so off as you look up the steep bluffs, downriver to the east.

Hyginos interjects, "If you all want to get into the city, we'll need to hustle to get to the Common Gate before curfew. Aint safe out here in the hills after nightfall."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"We'd best get moving, then." Rhenmyr says. He will stay behind the unresponsive Erasmos, spear ready.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I've got everybody's current HP totals and experience calculated and in my tracking spreadsheet.
Ker has one 1 wound
Marcan has 3 wounds
Sokrates has 4 wounds
Everybody else is at full health

Running Experience Totals:

Heron Eurybia 156
Marcan Macc Fionnghal 162
Sokrates 170
Borric "The Brick" 217
Ker Gwez 170
Rhenmyr 215

If you see a discrepancy PM me. And remember you get XP for gold squandered on a 1-for-1 basis and 2-for-1 if you use the carousing rules in the OP ;)

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Erasmos, what do you know about the 'Fane'?" Rhenmyr asks the remaining thug.

edit
"I've been thinking," Rhemyr says, " the barman said someone who might have been you father crossed to the other side of the river, but Zelkor didn't mention that to you did he? Some thing doesn't add up here."

Oops, sorry I missed this one

Erasmos barely registers a reaction as you address him, his eyes briefly flick up at the mention of his name, but he remains mute.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Hyginos listens intently to Rhenmyr and scratches his chin thoughtfully, "Well maybe it's nothing? Lots of folks could be coming and going across the river. But maybe the guards know where the hut-man lives and you can ask him about it in greater detail if we can catch up to him?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
(without any objections to Rhenmyr's suggestion . . .)

The group labors up the steep switchbacked trail with torches and lanterns held aloft. After about twenty minutes you reach a shallow declivity that forms a pass between the rugged hills and mountains at this terminal end of the Haemus Mons; their silhouettes barely visible under faint beams of moonlight that peak through the mostly cloudy night sky. Here you reach a fork in the trail. To your right lays the mountains and trackless wilderlands, while the fork to the left appears to skirt the side of the giant sandstone tor that Odessos is built on. In the middle distance perhaps a half-mile or so away you think you can make out what you assume to be the Common Gate, or at least its braziers and torches. You continue to trudge along for another ten minutes or so in the dark, along the rutted and well worn track and eventually come to a fortified barbican jutting out from the city's high stone walls.

When you are about 30 yards out, two guardsman in heavy ringmail step forward from a small guardhouse and approach you, one with a heavy pike resting on his shoulder and the other in a fine plumed helm, with his palm extended out in a half-hearted gesture, "Hold travellers. State your name and business."

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Rhenmyr of Stygia," Rhenmyr replies. "I'm looking for a place to spend the night, and I'll be looking to upgrade my armour. Might you know where I could find Linothorax and a decent inn?"

What's the pricing/weight on Linothorax?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Marcán Macc Fionnghal, from a Keltic village in the west. I've come with my friend" Marcán points at Ker, "to seek lodging. Maybe sharpen my blade, and lighten the load a bit as well."

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Rhenmyr of Stygia," Rhenmyr replies. "I'm looking for a place to spend the night, and I'll be looking to upgrade my armour. Might you know where I could find Linothorax and a decent inn?"

What's the pricing/weight on Linothorax?

"Well Rhenmyr of Stygia, there's plenty of flop houses and inns around the bazaar, and if you're here to trade I'm sure you'll find somebody who can accommodate your needs. Hastorios the armorsmith isn't a bad place to start, his stall on the north end of the bazaar."

For gameplay purposes, the linothorax and ringmail are functionally equivalent, so same price, same weight. The main advantage linothorax has is that because it is non-ferrous Hyperboreans (or Druids) can can cast spells while wearing it (and other Magic-Users, but with a chance of spell failure). The disadvantage it has compared to ringmail is that it must be custom fitted to its wearer and it takes longer to make, so you'd have to commission a suit of armor, rather than buying something "off the rack" so to speak. If it ever takes a good wetting, the glues that hold the laminated linen together might fail as well.

The guard holds a lantern aloft inspecting each of your faces in turn, "Well, you aren't citizens from the looks of you, so that's one gold drake for the gate tax. And I see you have a prisoner. What are you bounty hunters or something?"

Hyginos pipes in, "Hey. I'm a citizen! Lived here my whole life in fact."

The guard sizes up Hyginos with a doubtful look on his face and scoffs, "Who are you then? I've never seen you before."

"Hyginos of . . . ummm . . . of the Alleys."
Hyginos says somewhat doubtfully.

The gate guard laughs, "I don't know that name. One gold drake like the rest or you can stay out here 'til you rot for all I care."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric gives the Guard 2 Drakes, "I'm paying for the Old one here." He then takes out four silvers from his pouch. "I know the worth of standing guard at the gates, where few else will. Have a drink or two on me, will you?", he says, handing each two silvers.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The guard captain casts a sideways glance at his compatriot who flashes a slight smile. "Thanks . . . friend. My cohort and I can always make use of an extra bottle of wine. A piece of advice though, careful how you throw your money around, people might start thinking they owe you a favor." With that he turns around and shouts behind him to open the gates.

A moment or two later you hear a crank turning a chain and the twenty foot high, bronze-clad double doors groan heavily as they swing outward.

Make sure to mark off whatever coins you spent on your character sheet

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Already marked.

"Sage words, friends. Mayhap we shall meet in town and you can buy me a drink, should you be so inclined. That would even us out, yes?"

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
So for Rhenmyr, linothorax would offer no advantage and comes with a couple drawbacks. Got it.
"I appreciate the information." Rhenmyr says handing over a gold coin. "As for the prisoner, you could say we're bounty hunters, this chap is a murderer. Seems to have addled his brains while we captured him. Friends, looks like we should head to the bazaar unless someone has an objection."

nikolokolus

Arcane
The guard raises an eyebrow, "You never know . . ." He then shouts at the gatekeeper to turn the winch and the heavy bronze doors slowly close behind you. You all find yourself in a lightly occupied plaza. Tradesmen move about closing up stalls, collapsing tents and and seem to be retiring to their simple sandstone homes set around the square while others move off, into side streets and a few can be seen pushing their way toward a large three story building, where a lot of noise and laughter can be heard emanating.

Marcán recalls from his handful of visits as a teenager that this is Odessos' Grand Bazaar. As you glance straight ahead, northward across the square you see a broad avenue of cobbles and steps climbing and twisting up the hillside in the direction of the Exarch's palace and the citadel of Hightown. Two other obvious exits radiate out from the Bazaar. To the left (west) is a gate set into an inner wall that appears to lead into a closed district - likely the homes of the wealthy in Odessos, judging from the number of guards and some of the architecture you can make out beyond. To your immediate right (east) a large staircase is set into the steep bluffs that descends down the hill. You can make out few details below as there are few lights, but you know that the wharf and the rest of lowtown lies that way.

A knot of half-a-dozen watchmen are standing idly by the top of the steps; some are leaned up against the wall of a building while a couple throw dice on a blanket.

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Murderer? Well it's really none of my business, but make sure your keep him on a tight leash until you claim you bounty. People are jumpy enough as-is lately."

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Jumpy you say? We only heard second hand rumors across the river. Is there trouble in town we should be wary of?" Rhemyr asks.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ker is a bit flabbergasted by the city's size
"Well, that is a big city. Nothing like our village, Marcan! Well, we could have a quick look at the stands, but we need to find Petrakos soon."
"Say, my good man"
says Ker to the guard he just gave a gold piece to, "Do you know where we could find a merchant by the name of Petrakos?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Jumpy you say? We only heard second hand rumors across the river. Is there trouble in town we should be wary of?" Rhemyr asks.

He nods gravely. "Assassins, killed a few inquisitors a few days ago. There's gonna be hell to pay, mark my words."

Ker is a bit flabbergasted by the city's size
"Well, that is a big city. Nothing like our village, Marcan! Well, we could have a quick look at the stands, but we need to find Petrakos soon."
"Say, my good man"
says Ker to the guard he just gave a gold piece to, "Do you know where we could find a merchant by the name of Petrakos?"

"Petrakos? Uh . . . maybe? Actually I'm not really sure to be honest. You might wanna ask around the bazaar in the morning or hit up a merchant o'er at the Optimate's Ransom at the edge of the plaza. Alright. Off with you, I've got to get back to my post and lock this gate up. Good night."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Rhenmyr will prod the prisoner forward. "Hyginos, if you can, please lead us to this bazaar so we can find a place to spend the night."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Hyginos waves his hand dismissively, "Well, we're sort of already in the Bazaar, but as you can see everybody's closed up for the night." He points across the plaza at a three storey building bedecked in colorful pennants and banners fluttering in the torchlight; music and boisterous laughter filters from it out into the street. "As for someplace to stay, if you've got the coin "The Ransom" is supposed to be pretty nice, but lots of foreigners, caravaners, people making deals, that sort of thing, but I've never been there - sort of out of my price range. If you want my advice, you're probably better off sleeping o'er by the arena where they let travelers pitch tents for a few copper. It smells like camel shit, but at least it's inside the walls." He shrugs non-committally.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom