Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"I too have business in Odessos," Rhenmyr says, " But we could track down the horse first. It may have clues as it was fully supplied and saddled. Is it worth our time?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Zaral thanks the group for their efforts and then sits down, leans back in a chair and broods silently, appearing to be deep in thought. His mother, Ophelia walks up behind him and absent-mindedly places a hand on his shoulder, pensive and half-dazed.

Hyginos smacks his gums loudly and continues to eat as Ker strikes up conversation with him. He finally replies with a mouth half-full, spitting flecks of porridge, "Memories? Well, I don't rightly know. I remember going to the Mitraic shrine for a crust of bread and and a bowl of broth the other night . . . then I think I went and laid down on my pallet in my alley and went to sleep. Next thing I know I'm waking up in that barn outside." He blinks a little, "what they'd want with the likes o' me I don't know, but I tell ya, peculiar things have been happening in the city the past couple of months. Disappearances - lots of 'em - Not that the guards give a tinker's damn - Why, it used to be I'd have to wake up as early as a cockerel to get a choice spot from the beggars guild. Lately? Sometimes it's half as many folks show up for a license." *heehee* "Can't say I can complain much. I get to sleep an extra hour, all the way til dawn breaks!"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Hyginos keeps eating heaping gobs of porridge. He just shrugs his shoulders at Rhenmyr's question. "Don't know. Hard to say with people coming and going all the time in a port city. But around me it's been urchins and beggars for sure."

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Well, I think it's safe to assume the missing beggars suffered the fate you were bound for." Rhenmyr says. "Given the Hyperborean's capabilities, that's not a pleasant thought."

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Hyperborean?! You mean one of them highborn, stick up their arse, ne'er do wells? What in the blue tits of Beira would one o' them want with beggars and mendicants? Wanna know what I think? I'll bet the Exarch is behind this. Wouldn't it just figure one of those effete arseholes would rather purge the city of them what are down on their luck instead of doing anything decent for folk?" He motions to Sokrates, "Not, like that saintly Father Inniros and all he done for me and the other baseborn in the city. Bless his soul." Hyginos seems to be working himself into a right and proper fit of rage, his voice quavery and tremulous and his hands shaking - weak and palsied. "Them Commorians aint gonna rule forever!"

Sokrates remembers the name "Father Inniros" from his brief time spent in Odessos; a humble curate of Mitra who tends a small shrine and mission serving the needs of the destitute in the worst part of the city - a place called "The Sink." A maze of canals, gangplanks and half-inundated buildings (people typically occupying the upper floors). It was once a district of the old city but it was slowly consumed by the rising waters of the bay over the last few hundred years. After it was abandoned by "proper" citizens, it was eventually claimed by a sizable population of homeless and vagrants.

(OOC: A little bit of meta-ish background information that all of your characters would at least have some awareness of (maybe not Sokrates because of his limited faculties, but as a Mitraic Paladin, even he would be aware of the animosity of the Imperial cult to the faithful of Mitra).
The Commorium Empire's reach once fully encompassed Odessos and all of Illyria (and beyond). With its recent and costly ongoing wars in the east with Acadian city-states like Kor, Uz, Ashur, Bakar, etc. their grasp on former colonies and holdings in Western Illyria has been slipping. Odessos has experienced riots, insurrections and coup attempts in recent years. It's gotten bad enough that the imperial cult has dispatched its secret police in force to the region several years ago - Infamous inquisitors and torturers called the 'Seekers of Truth and Penitence.' For what it's worth, members notoriously wear distinctive fuligin, black cloaks and bronze masks that hide their faces. The Hyperborean you captured did not appear to be a 'Seeker.')

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Ranger, leave the horse for now. If the All-Father wills it we may even see it later." Borric turns to Hyginos. "Old one, what else happens in the city other than disappearances?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Hyginos squints and scrunches up his face at Borric, "Old one is it?!" *heehee* "Well, I suppose I've seen better days." He looks down at his billowy tunic and pats his belly, "But this day aint turned out half so bad after all I guess? Anyway, what exactly do you mean 'what happens in the city?' At minimum the Exarch rules from the High Citadel and all his shit rolls down hill from there. And that means troubled times in Odessos for awhile now, but I aint privy to much o' what highborn folks think and why they do what they do. Smart folks keep their heads down and stay out of trouble before trouble comes looking for them, If you know what I mean?

Hyginos stretches his arms and yawns deeply, smacks his lips and pushes the empty bowl away. "Thank ye miss. Five bowls ought to do it for me." He says to Ophelia, "that's the first proper meal I've eaten in years, but now I think I might be taking a nap?"

He smiles his toothless, face splitting grin that somehow manages to look both endearing and unsettling before snapping back to attention. "Oh right, you was wanting to know about the ins and outs of the city young fella?" He says to Borric. "Honestly, the only thing on my mind lately is that 20 or 30 of my chums just *poof* vanished into thin air in the last six months . . . I mean, people vanish all the time, but this is different than the usual disappearances; where people just take ill, get stabbed, drown in the canals or get ahold of some bad rotgut. It's like one day they're there and the next no one can remember seeing them, and the only ones going missing are urchins and beggars - not slaves, not whores, not pickpockets and not sailors. I tried to tell the guards about it, but they just laughed in my face. The only one who seemed the least bit concerned were Father Inniros, which is why he set Miss Pelagia and yonder Kimmerian, Sokrates, to looking for whatever might be behind it."

He pauses for awhile, picking at his gums and then leans forward speaking in a conspiratorial half-whisper, "But that aint all I know. When you're a beggar you hear things; people think you aint even there and will have whole conversations right in front of you without a second thought. Like just last week I heard two fellas talkin' next to my alley about some merchant prince they was working for and how things were gonna be different when he takes over." He pauses as if he's trying to remember what he was going to say next. "Now I can't say fer sure what he was gonna be takin' over, but aint that something? Also. Betchya didn't know there's an old vault in "The Sink," men keep looking for it, but they aint found it yet. What would you say if I told you maybe old Hyginos knows a thing or two? . . ." He winks and taps the side of his nose with his forefinger then leans back in his chair with a self-satisfied smile.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Seems we've stumbled upon a part of some larger scheme. The local authorities don't care. That's assuming they're not behind it. The question is what do we do next?" Rhenmyr asks.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
"I don't think we should so easily dismiss the horse, it was loaded with saddlebags, and when the Hyperborean melted, I sensed him tapping into a ley line. I don't believe it was a suicide. Hells, if the man had bonded himself to the horse as a familiar he could well have transferred a portion of his soul to it as a vessel. That's speculative, but I know the beast was not natural. And the force behind his incantation was incredibly powerful."

"As for these disappearances, I could lend what aid I can. I'm not established at all in Odessos and am like to be in the city for some time. Friends against the depravities of a strange new city would be welcome."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"There are quite a few roads open to us here... If, as the Old one says, some Merchant Prince or the other is up to something, he will need men. Finding and befriending some of these recruits may be a good idea. Mayhap we could join and spoil his plans from within as wel... I wonder if some of us could take the risk of posing as beggars or such, get kidnapped and see exactly what happens to these people. Maybe one of us poses as a beggar on the street, and another observes from afar? This does look far too risky I admit. At worst, we would perhaps ask around for any sight of this Pelagia person."

nikolokolus

Arcane
At mention of Pelagia Ophelia looks up, "Pelagia? Well, that was that woman that the big Kimmerian was traveling with and then they headed upriver two weeks gone past." She nods her head in the direction of the hulking simpleton Sokrates. "She kept asking if we'd seen anything strange on this side of the river and she said she was trying to solve some kind of enigma, but didn't really say what. Next thing I know your friend is being carted into the ferry in the back of a farmer's cart about 3 days later, looking half-drowned and insensate. The farmer told me he found him in the river, snagged up on a fallen tree. I don't know how he could have survived with all of this spring runoff bloating the waters, but he brought him here and we've been nursing him back to health the past week-and-a-half."

Last edited:

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ker nods towards Ophelia.
"Thank you for helping that poor man. He does seem like a good-natured fellow."
Ker thinks for some time, then stands up.
"Marcán, we definitely must get in Odessos. There is a good chance Fionghall and Aodh are there, and what Hyginos and Zaral said really bothers me. They might have gotten themselves into this mess too... Socratiz, there is a chance Pelagia is in town as well, will you come with us? What about you guys? Hyginos, we'll get you back in as well. We'll probably need someone that knows this town on the back of his hand. We also might need to get into that Sink... Zaral, would you like to come as well? There is a good chance we'll learn more about the reason why all that happened, but it might be dangerous...
Oh, and we should decide what to do with the two goons too. One said he could help us, but I don't believe we can trust those backstabbers."

Should we all use color for our text? I'm giving it a try but I'm not oo sure.

nikolokolus

Arcane
You don't have to use colored text, I just started doing after looking at some other PbP games and it seemed like a nice way to make it clearer what is spoken and what is not. Actually, if people find it too distracting I can stop doing it.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Testing testing, one-two-three. If people find this too raimbowy speak now or forever hold your peace.
Marcán hunches a bit, arms crossed, and thinks for a moment.
"Aye, aye, we definitely are making way for Odessos, Ker. Any information we gather seems to lead us straight across that river. Perhaps after we find the Hyperborean's horse. If Heron is right, then we may still have a lead - besides the disappearances of course. I'll even tag along."
Marcán makes a strained chuckle And focuses on his bruise again.
"Of course I wouldn't charge the thing head on. We better make up our minds now or else the trail will get too cold."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Crypts & Things, A Swords & Wizardry variant that strives to be pure swords & sorcery (and produced or inspired a lot of the home rules I use for this game) is doing a remastered version, with better art and expanded content on kickstarter right now https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/645319106/crypts-and-things-remastered

I'm only posting because I really do like the system and figured it might be of interest to some of you - you get a free copy of the beta rules as soon as you back too. Alright, sales pitch over ;)

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Might back the lowest tier sometime, fuck you exchange rate.

"Ranger, there are people disappearing in this city, and with what the old one says, we may not have time on our side. Perhaps we should hire someone to track and locate, only locate, the horse for us while we press on with more important matters?"

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"That could work, assuming we can find someone trustworthy and capable of the task soon." Rhenmyr replies. "I think we should prioritize our goals and options. We all have our own reasons for being here..."

Kelts - searching for people in town
Sokrates - looking for Pelagia maybe upriver, maybe in town
Borric - ?
Heron - Mystery/magic
Rhenmyr - looking for someone in town
Group goals -
Missing beggars / hyperboreans evil plot
Vault in the Sink

Leads
The priest in town - Might have leads in town. Might point us upriver - might have a clock on this if the Seekers go after him.
Sokrates/Pelagia went upriver - no clock on this. It's already very cold lead.
Hyperborean's horse - the longer we wait, the farther it gets - might be headed upriver where Sokrates/Pelagia went - definite clock on this. The older the trail gets, the harder to follow. If it rains, we're screwed.
Hyginos can point us toward loot. Hopefully of the phat variety. - wouldn't think there's a clock on this assuming Hyginos stays out of trouble.

Please feel free to update or correct this list if I missed anything.

"So we all have reason to go into town, but unless we can do what Borric suggests, we need to track the horse now or give up on it altogether. What do you think?" Rhenmyr asks.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
"The horse is worth investigating. You want to find out more about what the devil was up to? The clues may very well be on the beast's saddlebags. And I fear what will happen if that horse remains free. It is not a normal beast, there was a fey intelligence about it. Who knows what enemies it could call upon to our door? If only by coming to them without a rider. If that Hyperborean's allies are anywhere near as powerful as he, we could be divined at this very moment."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Ker nods towards Ophelia.
"Thank you for helping that poor man. He does seem like a good-natured fellow."
Ker thinks for some time, then stands up.
"Marcán, we definitely must get in Odessos. There is a good chance Fionghall and Aodh are there, and what Hyginos and Zaral said really bothers me. They might have gotten themselves into this mess too... Socratiz, there is a chance Pelagia is in town as well, will you come with us? What about you guys? Hyginos, we'll get you back in as well. We'll probably need someone that knows this town on the back of his hand. We also might need to get into that Sink... Zaral, would you like to come as well? There is a good chance we'll learn more about the reason why all that happened, but it might be dangerous...
Oh, and we should decide what to do with the two goons too. One said he could help us, but I don't believe we can trust those backstabbers."

Should we all use color for our text? I'm giving it a try but I'm not oo sure.

Hyginos nods as Ker speaks, "Oh fer sure lad, I need to get back as quick as a cat. If I'm gone for too long some backbiter will snatch up all my best beggin' spots, but if you need somebody who knows their way around I can help you . . . eh . . . if you don't mind sparing a few gold pieces? Not that I aint grateful fer what you all done fer me, but I either has to earn my keep with my beggin' bowl, or some other way . . . and somebody might need to carry me, my legs aint what they used to be." *heehee*
old20man20face.jpg

Zaral looks up, runs his fingers through his thick stubble and shakes his head, "I'm afraid I can't go anywhere. With Zelkor dead, I'll have to stay here and tend to the ferry and try to pick up the pieces. But if you figure out who is behind this I'd appreciate it if you could let me know, or at least run a dagger into their bellies for me." He chews the corner of his lip, as if deep in thought then continues, "My step-father had business partners in the city - people that will be none too happy to hear what transpired here. I'll compensate you for your trouble of course, but I'd like you to find a man in the docks who goes by the name of 'Petrakos' and tell him what happened here. He's a factor of with one of the merchant houses."

suspicious.jpg

Last edited:

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ker laughs at the old man greediness
"Ah, sure, well, I'm sure we can work something out, old man. Zaral, we'll look for this Petrakos. A man well-connected in the city might have info for us. By the way, speaking of coins, has any of you ever seen this kind of coin?"
Ker shows one of his platinum coin around.

"Regarding the horse, I don't really know if it's worth the pursuit. For all we know it might be gone, but our ranger might differ?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom