Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

nikolokolus

Arcane
As Marcán walks back to the prisoners and as others mill around the stables and the longhouse, you're interrupted by a thin, reedy voice, "Wh-w-w-where am I? Who are you people?" You see a skinny old man wrapped in a canvas taurpalin, his face covered in sores and filth, walking unsteadily out of the stables. His eyes fall on you and he puts out his hands, "Please sires, can you spare bit of food? A nip of brandy might do my constitution some good too." He flashes a toothless, unsettling grin, through his scraggly gray beard.

Last edited:

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ker feels relieved - the old man did survive that whole experience!
"Old man, you're awaken! We have soooo many questions for you! But first, come with me, I'll see that you get a hot bath and some food."
Ker brings the old man to the longhouse to meet the innkeeper.
Please tell me that's the same old man as before!

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán smiles. "Well look who's..." Marcán's smile turns into a frown, and he raises an eyebrow. "...alive. Ah, hold on Ker, I'm coming with. Damn well starving to death over here." Marcán walks with the two to the longhouse.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Ker feels relieved - the old man did survive that whole experience!
"Old man, you're awaken! We have soooo many questions for you! But first, come with me, I'll see that you get a hot bath and some food."
Ker brings the old man to the longhouse to meet the innkeeper.
Please tell me that's the same old man as before!

Yes. Sorry for not making it more clear

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Perhaps there are better ways to spend our time. I, for one, have business in Odessos. But that mess in the stable and the comatose old man are a mystery, and my curiosity is piqued. The horse and what it carries may be the only clues."

After resting a while, Rhenmyr checks the ground outside the stable for the horse's tracks. When he's found the trail, he waits for the others. After the 15 minutes he mentioned earlier, he sets off on the horse's trail.

The turf leading up the river road (west of the ferry) is churned up and you are able to easily follow the trail at the beginning ... The old man has awoken before the fifteen minutes you were waiting are up.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"Well old chum. You seem none too worse for wear. What's your name, sir?" Rhenmyr asks as the Kelts lead him to the longhouse.

nikolokolus

Arcane
One of the slaves bars the entrance to the longhouse and points to the side, "Oh no, no! Around back. We'll draw a bath." She tries to hide her disgust as the man's overpowering stench fills the air with a sickly sweet combination of stale sweat, feces and other exotic smells.

As Rhenmyr addresses the lean-faced and haggard old man, his eyes squint and his toothless jaw moves up and down reflexively, "Huh? My name? . . . I . . . I'm Hyginos? Yes. That's me." He says it in a way as if he were recalling the name of some long forgotten acquaintance.

Ophelia recovers herself, and hollers after the troupe, "What am I to do with these two?" Indicating the two prisoners.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Well met Hyginos. I'm sure our Keltic friends will take care of you." Rhenmyr replies to the old man. To Ophelia he says, "I'm sure Heron or Sokrates will keep an eye on them so they don't try anything funny while we track down that cantankerous horse."

If Heron or Sokrates join the horse finders before the 15 minutes great. Regardless, Rhenmyr sets out then.

edit

Should we be splitting the party, guys? Should we let the horse go? or wait until we can go together?

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Heron will pause, considering Erasmos and Theron appraisingly. "Is that so? Strangers are at risk in the city? That's the same story everywhere, friend. But given your past company, might be you can help me. If I was seeking news of a powerful sorcerer who frequents the city from time to time, where would be the best place to go to put my ear to the rumour mill? Answer me well and promise sound advice in future and I will do what I can with the others to seeing you dealt with mercifully. I may not be as powerful as your departed master over yonder, but you seem a smart enough man not to break contract with my like." If he refuses to answer or tries to bargain, Heron will give him a sad smile and move on as if to leave.

After Heron leaves the stables he will make to join Rhenmyr. "Ho Rhenmyr, I'd join the horse hunt. Given all that we have seen here, I will not be satisfied until the mystery of the Hyperborean and his motives is solved."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Glad for your company, Heron. Given there are, obviously, dark forces at work here, it will be good to travel in numbers. The Kelts will be busy cleaning up the old man for a while. Should we wait for them, you think?" Rhenmyr asks.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Heron will pause, considering Erasmos and Theron appraisingly. "Is that so? Strangers are at risk in the city? That's the same story everywhere, friend. But given your past company, might be you can help me. If I was seeking news of a powerful sorcerer who frequents the city from time to time, where would be the best place to go to put my ear to the rumour mill? Answer me well and promise sound advice in future and I will do what I can with the others to seeing you dealt with mercifully. I may not be as powerful as your departed master over yonder, but you seem a smart enough man not to break contract with my like." If he refuses to answer or tries to bargain, Heron will give him a sad smile and move on as if to leave.

After Heron leaves the stables he will make to join Rhenmyr. "Ho Rhenmyr, I'd join the horse hunt. Given all that we have seen here, I will not be satisfied until the mystery of the Hyperborean and his motives is solved."

Erasmos, the larger of the two, appears to be in no shape to answer you; whatever tenuous hold the man had on his faculties before, appears shattered now. Theron, the short, stocky fellow listens intently as Heron lays out his conditions. "A powerful sorcerer? Such men usually keep close counsel and guard their identities sir . . . but . . ." He chews the corner of his lip and pauses as if carefully weighing his thoughts and his next words. "If you must find someone in Odessos, there are always ways and means. If you let me go, I promise to take you to such people as might be able to satisfy such dangerous curiosities. But without me? I fear those avenues would be cut off to you."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let's not split the party Grimgravy. To be honest, that horse could wait, insofar as my opinion is worth. That said I am willing to follow Grimgravy tracking it because Kurgan horsing good. Think I indicated as much.

nikolokolus

Arcane
In short order, Ophelia's slaves strip and bathe Hyginos in the outpost's bathhouse, fed from a natural hot-spring up on a nearby hill. He emerges about twenty minutes later he totters into the longhouse where the group is assembled, wearing a grossly over-sized Illyrian tunic, belted with a length of braided rope. He leans heavily on one of the young slaves girls, with a look of delight spread across his wizened, toothless face. "I aint been touched like that for a long time!" he cackles with glee. "I still don't know how I got here, but I think I must'a died and gone to Elysium." He sits down stiffly at one of the tables with a large pot of porridge. "You younglings ought to be sainted. I hear you rescued me or some such." He pauses, appearing to get choked up. "You done right by me and now I'm gonna do right by you. If you get me back to the city I've got somethin' I'd like to give you."

As the old man continues with his meal, the door to the longhouse suddenly opens and a young, well-built, plainly dressed man enters. He looks around confused, spots Zelkor's body still laid out on one of the tables and shouts at no one in particular, "What in the Nine Hells is going on here?!" Ophelia comes forward and raises her hands up to him, "Zelkor's been murdered! These men intervened and apprehended his assailants, but . . . one of them took his own life. The others we captured . . . well, I don't know how they were involved; they claim to have been duped or mislead. I just don't know?" She turns to the group, "This is my son, Zaral."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Ok, the horse can wait. No party splitting. So are we all part of the assembled in the longhouse, I hope?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Hey guys, just a quick aside, if at any time you feel like things are getting too bogged down with dialogue and roleplay stuff and there's not enough action, please let me know via a PM and I'll make sure I take that under advisement and make an effort to get things on a slightly different track.

Without being able to see your expressions, like I would in a face-to-face game, it gets tough to get a read on whether I still have people's interest or not.

Siveon

Bot
I could use more dungeons. But I'm a big dungeon guy so ignore that, really. I'm still cool for that whole live-game on d20 if that's in the air, I just need a mic.

Marcán get's up from his seat. "Hail Zeral, I'm sorry for your loss. My name is Marcán, son of Fionnghal. You might've met him. I suppose we have some explaining to do. I-It's been a very troubling night. A hyperborean stayed for the night after taking Zelkor's ferry, and murdered him that very night. It took the six of us just to detain him, and when I went to question him he..." Marcán sits down again and bangs his fist on the table. "killed himself. The coward. Had I not taken off his gag he might've still been around to question - and perhaps find some matter of closure to this tragedy." Marcán sighs.

"The story goes a bit longer than that." He runs his hands through his hair in thought. He then turns to what was once Zelkor. "I think we should bury him before we go any further. Again, I'm sorry."

Siveon

Bot
Shit, forgot to ask, is resurrection commonplace or just way out there?

bert

Arcane
Yeah the horse seems inconsequential for now. Besides, since we wounded it we could probably track it easily enough.
Sokrates followed the group to the longhouse like a bored pet. He sits next to them, trying to understand what they are saying with all his efforts but every time he is distracted by something. When Odessos is mentioned he speaks up, "Pelagia..? Pelagia?!" To this he directed to the old man and the newly arrived person, but judging by his tone it seems like it was an open question.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My first pnp, can't complain, @nikolokolous. That said, if you have feedback to give, please do. :)
"In time Sokrutiz, in time. Wait, please."
He offers his hand to Zeral. "Zeral Zelkorson, I'm sorry for your loss."
His considerable socializing prowess exhausted, Borric falls silent.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Rhenmyr interjects, "Coward? The Hyperborean did more than kill himself. He 'melted' himself. I'm not sure a coward could do that. Diabolical seems a better word to me....I'm sorry for your loss as well. I just wish we new the reason for that loss. The killer went to great lengths to avoid giving answers. Hyginos, any ideas, sir? The hyperborean was willing to kill to get a hold of you."

edit
I could maybe use a little more guidance during the talky bits. Especially when it seems we're waiting for someone to chime in. The fight was straight forward enough.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
As Marcán talks the man called Zaral seems to take in everything as it's told to him with a grim and somewhat cool demeanor. With the mention of the Hyperborean he furrows his brows slightly, but otherwise betrays little emotion. "killed himself you say?" And then almost absentmindedly, he turns to Borric, "Zelkorson? Oh, sorry no. My stepfather . . . But he's been good to me and my ma these past several years." He finally turns Rhenmyr and interjects, "Wait? 'Melted?' What sort of man kills himself this way? Was it poison? Black sorcery?"

As Zaral finishes his questioning of Rhenmyr, the aged Hyginos perks up at Sokrates' mention of 'Pelagia.' "Pelagia? Oh I recognize you now!" He exclaims. "Why, you and miss Pelagia gave me alms outside of the Mitra shrine in 'Low-town,' naught but two weeks ago. Real pretty that one was. Say, where is miss Pelagia now? . . . Oh right . . . Now I remember, you weren't much for talkin' is you? Strong silent type and all that." He cackles a little bit and then continues to gum his meal of porridge.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Black sorcery. He said but a few words, and melted away in moments, Zaral. Quite the sight. I'd be glad if I never saw the like again." Rhenmyr replies.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Thanks for the feedback it helps.

Siveon As for dungeon crawling, it's sort of meta-gamey to say it, but I'll assure you that if your character seeks out information on ruins and the mythic underworld, you will surely find it. Maybe this just isn't the right place? Secondly, Raise Dead isn't unheard of, but it is a black magic ritual practiced only by certain Chaotic mystery cults or witches (effectively an NPC class). The process always permanently marks your character in some way - a slightly charnel smell that won't go away, a gray cast to your skin, bruises that never fully heal, etc. The raised is not undead, but they're also not fully "alive" anymore either. This doesn't have any impacts on abilities, but certain NPCs (especially animals) will probably react to you differently afterward. The (Lawful) Mitraic cult used to possess the secret of 'True Resurrection,' but the details of this esoteric rite was lost when their repository of knowledge was destroyed hundreds of years ago. Additionally, Keltic Druids have been known to invoke reincarnation for particularly powerful or important heroes. Finally, I'm still pondering the logistics of a roll20 game . . . plus I really need to spend some time faffing about with it so I'm not completely new to it. In short, I'm possibly interested, but I can't promise anything.

ERYFKRAD You're doing just fine :)

Grimgravy I'll try my best to give you guys a little more to sink your teeth into in terms of structure and maybe not leave things so open ended. In general it's just more of my style to let people direct the action and tell me what they'd like to do vs. putting things on rails or holding up big signs that say "go this way," but I think there's a middle ground that I can do a better job of achieving. In general though, I'm not expecting any of you to do any one thing. I'm comfortable reacting to your choices, because I know who the main actors are around you and what their general goals are.

If you go exploring the wilds, I use random encounter tables and I have a regional hex map that I've keyed out. However, I don't run "gotcha" encounters and I'll always try to provide hints that you're about to put your foot in a particularly deep pile of shit before it's too late (But I won't prevent failure).

Last edited:

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ker sits down next to Hyginos and joins Zaral and Rhenmyr's conversation
"I didn't really feel like he was commiting suicide though. It might sound strange, but I'm afraid he may have escaped us by destroying his former body. His horse did flee in full gallop just afterwards after all, this might be related."
That black sorcery is definitely not something Ker really wants to remember, so he changes the subject.
"Hyginos, we have some business in town so we'd be more than happy to get you back there. We still have to find Marcan's dad after all! By the way, do you have any memories of those past days? Do you know what those men wanted from you?

So I might have the power to resuscitate people at higher level, hum. Well, that's for later!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom