Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

L'ennui

Magister
Looking all around, Urash asks in a hushed tone:

"Couldn't one of you wilderness types just... Track the dammed thing?"

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
"Sorry, I didn't prepare "Find Evil Demonic Wolf Being" this morn. I'll try to do better in the future."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"You're forgetting that it runs through the air! It wont have left tracks to follow. I still think we should look for a den of sorts. Probably at the center of this mess"

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"The driest way...I would prefer to avoid leeches and ill humors of the swamp if possible. It's good we are early because the dry path will not be the quick path."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenymyr walks back and forth beside one of the small pools and notices a faint animal track leading deeper into the swamp. The tracks pressed in the soft mud are created by a variety of creatures: canine, feline, porcine, rodent and such.

In the dense mist there is no telling how long the trail will hold up, but it seems viable from your vantage.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Unless someone has a better suggestion, I'd say we go this way." Rhenmyr indicates the trail. If there are no objections, he'll lead the way into the the murk., testing the ground with the but of his spear.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Barring no objections the troupe moves forward jumping from one hummock to another and following narrow ridges of dry land. After a matter of minutes the game trail disappears and there are no other footprints visible. Rhenmyr's keen eyes note that the animals tend to turn around and go back or just disappear altogether. Mab and Ker notice strange things too. Normally they can part vines and brambles with a thought as the land makes a way for them, but this swamp feels actively hostile to your presence - There is a presence in the land that is wholly unnatural and you can practically feel its cold filth press in on you.

During the first hour creeping through the oppressive gloom, the disc of the sun is obscured by the fog that lays over the land and with all of the twists and turns required to move across the fen, direction has become less certain. To make matters worse, one of the floating hummocks you were walking on sinks under your feet and the last of you are forced to jump to the bank to avoid being sucked down into the heavy mud. The way behind you is now functionally impassable.

The only clue to your present location is oily slicks moving sluggishly away from you in the fetid black water.

Last edited:

Wayward Son

"This.... Is an unnatural place. It makes me feel discomforted. Let us do what we came here for and leave as quick as possible."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"I agree. Let us proceed with cautious haste and hope defeating the wolf will cleanse the taint on this land."

nikolokolus

Arcane
With nothing to do but move ahead the party continues carefully picking its way through the swamp in a serpentine and circuitous route. Perhaps another hour passes. Most people guess that it's mid to late morning by now, but without the sun it's difficult to say.

Trees begin to close in around you and the air gets progressively "heavy" and noticeably warmer the deeper into the swamp you progress.

The sluggish oil-slicked water seems to pick up speed next to you and several other streams start to converge with the course of water you have been following. You walk for another ten minutes or so through deep muck and a hillock starts to resolve itself out of the heavy mist fifty feet ahead. The stream picks up more speed and you can see it racing towards a rent that splits the hillock in half. Stunted and malignant looking trees hang over the void at impossible angles, while vines and brambles drape over the sides of the chasm.

The smell of brimstone here is almost overpowering as a miasma of yellowish vapors rise from within.

AH3xkug.jpg

"Surely if ever an unclean spirit haunted a place, this is it." Brule says in a harsh whisper and then falls silent.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Not a moment too soon. Hopefully the beast is home, if not, we can set a trap for it." Marcán whispers back.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"I reckon that it's before sundown, so it should be inside. What do you think? Attack it in it's den, or try to ambush it when it leaves?" Rhenmyr says in hushed tones.

Wayward Son

"Maybe this oil-like substance will burn? We could try lighting an arrow ablaze and lighting up its den. Then, Boughrryc would just need to be ready to stab it, and failing that, we go all out and distract it from him."

Wayward Son

"I agree. We could use the fire to lure the Wolf out now, so we can leave as soon as possible. If you prefer, we could not, I figured I would just state all of our options."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Luring the wolf out gives it more room to move. In its den it would be cramped, and we're more likely to hit it. Quietly, to the den, friends."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Brule kneels down and unslings a coil of rope from inside his pack, "From the looks and sounds of things that stream pours right into the den and plummets some distance. Let me tie this off around that tree and give us something to abseil with."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom