Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr was a forester. But as Wayward Son said, it would be up to you as to how much woodworking experience he would have.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric will handle the spear. Between that, and Siveon's Bard with the falcata, I think we got good odds at pinning down Bleedmore.

But........

P.S. I assume whatever was mentioned about Uvan, Blaidd Mawrr etc., has been translated to Borric.

"Why must the slaver and the chieftain worry about this Wolf of ours. If your stories have the right of it, perhaps our battle is not with the Wolf that hunts but perhaps the men that fear it? Either we take care of these men, or we kure them into confrontation with the Wolf-spirit they so fear. I wonder if this chieftain started sacrificing people in order to spare judgement upon his won."

nikolokolus

Arcane
I was fairly certain no one in the group had any weaponsmithing or woodworking background, but be that as it may, replacing a spear shaft is an easy enough task as long as you have a ready-made spear shaft at hand and the right tools. The difficulty in this situation lies in not having a proper hammer and new bronze or steel pins that fix the spear's socket to the haft. (Even a "magical" weapon can be repaired in the usual way, without the need of a magic-user. This is because magic weapons and armor are not made by magic-users, they are made in battle with mighty deeds of arms and the myths and legends that accumulate about their wielder).

In any case here's what it's going to take to improvise a repair: Anybody who wants to attempt it makes a secret combined roll (3d6) vs. Intelligence and Dexterity. Let me know if your character wants to try and I will make the roll for your character.
  • To succeed you have to roll equal or under both ability scores for the repair to take hold.
  • If you fail the intelligence roll but pass the dexterity roll then you make a flawed repair -- you will need to pass a saving throw every time you hit with the spear or the repair fails and the spear head falls off.
  • If you pass the intelligence roll and fail the dexterity roll then you break the spear haft and must try again.
  • If you fail both rolls you believe you have affected a repair but the spear fails the first time it is used. Complicating matters, to attempt a repair means handling the spear yourself and exposing your character to its rage inducing enchantment.
There are three spears that can be cannibalized in the hut, as well as the short-hafted masterwork spear you took from the room with the pillar.
If at all possible, Urash could hold the spearhead proper while someone else affixes a shaft to it.

See the bolded part above. Once contact is made between spearhead and shaft that's equivalent to touching the spearhead.

Borric will handle the spear. Between that, and Siveon's Bard with the falcata, I think we got good odds at pinning down Bleedmore.

But........

P.S. I assume whatever was mentioned about Uvan, Blaidd Mawrr etc., has been translated to Borric.

"Why must the slaver and the chieftain worry about this Wolf of ours. If your stories have the right of it, perhaps our battle is not with the Wolf that hunts but perhaps the men that fear it? Either we take care of these men, or we kure them into confrontation with the Wolf-spirit they so fear. I wonder if this chieftain started sacrificing people in order to spare judgement upon his won."

Yes, everything was translated. For simplicity's sake, we don't need to roleplay that out. In the future, so long as there is a translator around we'll just assume somebody does the honors for Borric (or anybody else)

While Borric speaks, he casually walks over and lifts the spearhead, tossing it from one hand to the other. His skin flushes briefly, his eyes dilate and his breath quickens, but he seems fully in control of his faculties.

Fidach replies, "If the stories are true, the Blaidd Mawr once released is like a plague; it punishes innocent and guilty alike. The Morrighan *he makes a sign against evil* is a pitiless goddess, if she released the beast upon our tribe then it won't rest until it has slain us all or we find some way to drive it back the hell it comes from. Even if Talorc, Uvan and Syelle Ru are the root cause of our troubles, the tribe has been found guilty of some sin. Furthermore, what can we do against him now? He's safe inside Crannógmere surrounded by his bodyguards and the people are cowed. If we had proof that Blaidd Mawr is no longer a threat perhaps we could return to Crannógmere and expose Talorc for the coward he is; that might be enough to turn the people against him? But if you think you have some plan to coax him out of his stronghold and into a confrontation with the wolf I'm willing to listen."

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
"This Talorc, is he a man who rules by stories and fear? If so, we could coax him out with a personal challenge. If he denies, as cowards are wont to do, then he'll have the tribe turn against him. If not, oh well, he dies anyway, perhaps the Wolf will be appeased.
Another way could be to try and bluff them with the spear into thinking Blaidd Mawr is dead. Or accepting us as heroes for having the way to defeat him. Meanwhile, hate will foster against Talorc, possibly even with his highest cronies.
Do not take this as me being averse to fighting the Wolf, quite the contrary, in fact. I just would like to see less risk in this for all than directly opposing such a Beast."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Fidach and Brule shake their head at Mab. Brule interjects, "We are banished kinsman. If we were to return now, we'd be killed on sight."

L'ennui

Magister
"Yes... no matter what follows, the wolf must be our primary concern for now."

Urash tenses when Borric touches the spear, then walks over to give him a pat on the back when he sees the barbarian is fully in control of himself.

"It's something, isn't it? Glad you're still with us."

Wayward Son

"So... What should we do about repairing this spear? Who here would be able to do it? I may be able to, but am none too knowledgeable in the field. Someone else ought to do it. I would say Borric, since he was able to resist it's influences, but do you know much about smithing, Borric?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
{Just let me know if you want your character to make an attempt. Bear in mind that you've got a few shots (potentially) to improvise a repair.}

nikolokolus

Arcane
Urash with the help of Borric manages to wrench the broken haft free of the spear point saving the bronze pins. He takes one of the 3 wooden spear shafts available to him and slots it into the socket. He borrows a small hammer (Marcán has one listed on his inventory sheet) and tries to fix the spearhead. Unfortunately the haft splits and is ruined.

As warriors of long experience you are no strangers to breaking spears and repairing them. Borric holds the spearhead, Urash fits the haft into the socket and the bronze pins are driven through the socket to fix it in place. The spear is renewed.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
While Borric speaks, he casually walks over and lifts the spearhead, tossing it from one hand to the other. His skin flushes briefly, his eyes dilate and his breath quickens, but he seems fully in control of his faculties.
Details plox, as in rolls needed if any etc.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I hate to go easy on anybody, but the fact that you have a hammer available and suitable spear shafts ready made, It occurs to me that I'm being a little too 'game-y' requiring ability checks to do something that is a very simple repair. Disregard the above post. ERYFKRAD check your messages in a few minutes.

nikolokolus

Arcane
As the assembled watch Urash and Borric carefully refit the spear, Borric takes up the spear in both hands and his appearance seems to twist and alter in the dancing light of the firepit. His hair once jet-black is now bright red, his eyes are glassy and dilated and his breaths come in short, quick gasps.

Still holding the spear tightly he sits down heavily on a pile of furs and looks around the room with a confused expression.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
"Aye, I'm fyne. A wee out of tyme, maybe, but I'm fyne." replies Borric in Pictish.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"I'm sorry if that sounds odd, but what is your name?" Marcán says, surprised.

Wayward Son

"Well, looks like we have an ancient Wolf-slayer with us. Not quite what I was expecting, but still welcome. However, where is Borric?"

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Alright, Ulfheonar." Marcán responds slowly, the words coming out of his mouth not making sense in his mind.
Let's just say I said this before Mab's question. And that's two character possessions. But at least ERYFKRAD gets to handle things.

L'ennui

Magister
"A most peculiar turn of events, indeed..." says Urash, rubbing his beard as he observes the new mannerisms and speech of Borric. "Oh, would that I get a glimpse of the magics involved! I wonder what secrets the spear would reveal... In any case, our friend here does not seem to be adversely affected, I believe we can now, at long last, count ourselves ready for the glorious hunt!"

Wayward Son

"Well, my demonic wolf-slaying friend, let's kill ourselves a wolf, no? Or are we to stay the night in this place?" He asks of no one in particular.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom