Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
No gold for me, just the platinum and the belt.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Proposed split
Heron 1 Plat (doesn't want share)
Marcan 1 plat (no share, kick ass sword)
Sokrates 1 plat (no share, kick ass armor)
Borric 1 plat rest of share to widow 44 gold, 64 silver(XP correct?)
Ker 5 plat, by request, only plat.
Rhenmyr 5 plat, 45 gold, 64 silver

So shares of money after 1 plat eac
silver 64, 64
gold: 45, 44
plat: 4, 4 (not giving to widow)

items
2 suits of rough, leather armor -->sell/discard/no one seems to want
1 rusty dagger -->sell/discard/no one seems to want
1 badly maintained iron shortsword -->sell/discard/no one seems to want
1 pair of high quality boots --> Borric
1 Belt with a small hidden slot behind the buckle -->Ker
1 lock of red hair tied with a silver cord that smells faintly of perfume -->Heron?
1 bronze coat-of-plates -->Sokrates
1 fine silver helm -->Sokrates
1 falcata style bastard sword -->Marcan
1 silver key -->Heron
1 heavy fur lined leather traveling cloak --> Rhenmyr

Questions, comments, or is everyone OK with this breakdown?

nikolokolus

Arcane
When you guys figure out your shares, let me know if any of you plan to give money to Ophelia

Meanwhile . . .

Whenever Heron moves towards the horse it gets very aggravated and kicks at the stall door. Marcan drags the short, fat man in to the stables by his heels and . . .

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Heron moves slowly towards the horse. He mutters various command phrases to the horse in Hyperborean "Halt. Stop. Be Still. Sssh. I am a friend". As he approaches he tries to get a good look at the horse's saddlebags. If this fails, he will look for something to feed the horse, extend it out to it on a pole, and sit quietly in the horse's presence murmering various words in Hyperborean in an attempt to calm it.

bert

Arcane
Sokrates scratches his head idly. It seems he is as enraptured with the armor the hyperborean was wearing as Marcan was with the Orichalcum sword, as he keeps poking it and running his finger along the fine details and etchings on the bronze plates. When the subject of the rest of the share comes up, Sokrates shakes his head at the rest of the items. He takes one platinum to compensate - after all, the custom fitting and repairs of his current and new equipment will be the biggest expenses.

Rhenmyr makes what Sokrates assumes to be interest in the hyperborean, and though he does not understand his tongue, he does understand one of the words: Help. Sokrates mumbles back, "Help..." and moves in Rhenmyr's direction, waiting for him to guide and direct him.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán drags the fat man to a corner of a room. There, he sees Heron struggling with the Hyperborean's warhorse. "Having troubles, friend? Ah, it seems we have a loyal horse, hold on just a second - I'll help you after I'm finished with this man." Marcán squats to meet the fat man's eye level. "Well, sir, if you tell us everything we need to know you'll probably make it out here alive. I say probably because I cannot guarantee what the locals will do to you after we're done here, but if you cooperate I'll put in an especially good word for you." Marcán taps the hilt of his sheathed longsword in the beat of his words. "Do. You. Under. Stand?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
The short, stocky man licks his pudgy lips and stammers a little. "L-l-look, you've got this all wrong! I don't know nuthin'. Me an' Erasmos was just doing a job - we was paid to come o'er with the big fella and wait 'til nightfall then do what he told us. I don't know nuthin' about why he and the ferryman got into that argument. Please, you gotta believe me!" he says pleadingly. "Look, I surrendered fair and square. We didn't have no quarrel with you; Me an' my mate just seen you were attacking our employer and figured it was some kind of ambush or somethin'."

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Marcán stares at the man, trying to read his face and see if he's lying. He laughs. "More like a feat of rage, really. Your boss, or as your friend - Erasmos? Erasmos. Or as your friend Erasmos called him, 'master', murdered my friend in cold blood. Forgive me for taking your story with a grain of salt. I'll just ask your boss and your friend and see if they say the same thing - if that's alright with you. Well, if they can talk. They're in pretty bad shape." Marcán leaves the ties prisoner and walks to Heron. "Make sure he doesn't do any funny business while I go check his story out." Marcán sees the warhorse on the way out and tries to think of some way to calm it down.

I wonder if Hyperborean horses like Keltic music. I doubt it, but perhaps it's worth a try.

When Marcán returns to the group he inspects the other two prisoners to see if they'll alright enough to speak.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Everyone has seems to have chimed in. Here's the final loot distribution Please speak up if there's a problem

Money
Heron 1 Platinum
Marcan 1 platinum
Sokrates 1 platinum
Borric 1 platinum, 44 gold, 64 silver. Donating all the gold and silver to the widow.
Ker 5 platinum
Rhenmyr 5 plat, 45 gold, 64 silver I'm donating 26 gold and 36 silver to the widow.

items
1 pair of high quality boots --> Borric
1 Belt with a small hidden slot behind the buckle -->Ker
1 lock of red hair tied with a silver cord that smells faintly of perfume -->Heron?
1 bronze coat-of-plates -->Sokrates
1 fine silver helm -->Sokrates
1 falcata style bastard sword -->Marcan
1 silver key -->Heron
1 heavy fur lined leather traveling cloak --> Rhenmyr

below to be left for the ferry residents
2 suits of rough, leather armor
1 rusty dagger
1 badly maintained iron shortsword

"Come big man, let's get our fallen enemy out of the cold. Anyone care to bring the package' and the river rat ?" Rhenmyr asks.
With Sokrates' help, prompting with gestures when words fail, Rhenmyr loads the Hyperborean onto the cloak to carry him to the stable for the night. They stop when Marcán comes to check on the prisoners. They proceed to the stables if the Hyperborean isn't up for speech.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The Hyperborean is still unconscious. His compatriot isn't, but he does seem pretty confused and a little delerious; he keeps mumbling something about fire and blood. As for the raggedy old man, he's as catatonic as ever.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The man feels about as heavy as a dried bundle of sticks ... sort of like he hasn't eaten a proper meal in days or weeks (so yes, he's surprisingly easy to carry).

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Does anything unexpected happen when be bring the Hyperborean to the stable? If not we'll set him down out of the way and Rhenmyr will question the thug.

bert

Arcane
Sokrates notices the black charger as soon as he entered the stables. Settling the hyperborean down, he approaches its stall. The frail old wizard was trying to calm it, and Sokrates pats him on the shoulder from behind to announce his presence. The warhorse was a mean one in every sense of the word, but something inside him told him the charger could be redeemed. Taking Mitra's unspoken heed, Sokrates steps in right up against the stall door and holds out his palm to the horse, not flinching should the horse attempt to bite or lick it. To be a paladin, one must be courageous and strong both in will and body. More importantly however, one must be selfless.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Does anything unexpected happen when be bring the Hyperborean to the stable? If not we'll set him down out of the way and Rhenmyr will question the thug.

Rhenmyr and Borric carry the unconscious Hyperborean on his cloak like a litter and he doesn't seem to have reopened his wounds, the same is done with the dazed and chilled brute who took his yearly bath and both men are set aside in one of the unoccupied, straw-filled pens. The stocky Illyrian Marcán was questioning earlier watches you all intently, his eyes flicking back and forth nervously.

(OOC: Which man did you want to question? The one who nearly died of exposure seems pretty out of it, not unconscious per se, but definitely delirious.

Sokrates notices the black charger as soon as he entered the stables. Settling the hyperborean down, he approaches its stall. The frail old wizard was trying to calm it, and Sokrates pats him on the shoulder from behind to announce his presence. The warhorse was a mean one in every sense of the word, but something inside him told him the charger could be redeemed. Taking Mitra's unspoken heed, Sokrates steps in right up against the stall door and holds out his palm to the horse, not flinching should the horse attempt to bite or lick it. To be a paladin, one must be courageous and strong both in will and body. More importantly however, one must be selfless.

Horse's reaction roll to Sokrates [2d6-1] = 4-1 = 3

Maybe it's the scent of its masters blood, but whatever the reason this massive warhorse seems to be having none of Sokrate's overtures to calm it. Its eyes loll maniacally and it starts bucking, trying to kick out the panels of its stall.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Rhenmyr approaches the short thug who surrendered.

"Well, you seem to be holding up all right. What's your name? I hope the Kelt wasn't too rough with you. I have some questions if you don't mind. Since you were smart enough to surrender rather jump in the river, unlike your friend over there, I'm sure you'll be truthful. Keep in mind, I saw your rendezvous on the docks. First of all, Who is the Hyperborean? What does he want here? What do you know about him? Are you from Odessos? (OOC only if he is from Odessos Do you know were I could find a man named Koren Ghul? end OOC) What can you tell me about the "Package you picked up? Why was Zelkor killed? What can you tell be about these platinum coins?"

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ker bring the old man in the longhouse and tries to find the owner.
"Hey, innkeeper, do you know that man? He was a victim of the hyperborean like poor Zelkor. He's alive, but he doesn't look very healthy to me. Is there some warm place he could spend the night?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rhenmyr approaches the short thug who surrendered.

"Well, you seem to be holding up all right. What's your name? I hope the Kelt wasn't too rough with you. I have some questions if you don't mind. Since you were smart enough to surrender rather jump in the river, unlike your friend over there, I'm sure you'll be truthful. Keep in mind, I saw your rendezvous on the docks. First of all, Who is the Hyperborean? What does he want here? What do you know about him? Are you from Odessos? (OOC only if he is from Odessos Do you know were I could find a man named Koren Ghul? end OOC) What can you tell me about the "Package you picked up? Why was Zelkor killed? What can you tell be about these platinum coins?"

As Rhenmyr begins peppering him with questions, the man seems to reel a little bit with the avalanche of words, "I ... no, but ... Yes and ... Wait, what? ... Koren Who now? ... Come again? I d- ..." After a long pause he shakes his head looking bewildered, "Look here Stygian, I don't know what you think your game is here, but I already told your friend everything I know. My name is Theron and that there is my colleague Erasmos. We was hired in town to do a job. We was given these platinum coins and told ta' head down to the ferry and look for a Hyperborean in a great black cloak and a silver helm. We was ta' show him the coins and then do what he tells us. And that's just what we done - no questions asked and none answered." He then frowns and turns his head, seeming to refuse to keep talking to you.

Ker bring the old man in the longhouse and tries to find the owner.
"Hey, innkeeper, do you know that man? He was a victim of the hyperborean like poor Zelkor. He's alive, but he doesn't look very healthy to me. Is there some warm place he could spend the night?"

The folks in the longhouse had appeared to be winding down when Ker bangs on the door asking to be let in. The bartender opens the door bleary-eyed, "What now?" he says in a slightly impatient tone of voice. He looks down at the wizened and emaciated figure in Ker's arms and wrinkles his nose at the smells wafting up, "Arioch's sweaty ballsack! By the gods he stinks! I have no idea who that is ... and there aint no place in here for him smelling like that. For the rest of what's left of this pox-ridden night, just put him up in the stables. I'll have a slave draw a bath in the room out back in the morning. Is there anything else?"

Siveon

Bot
Marcán approaches the delirious man in the meantime. He crouches down at eye (or in this case closed eye) level. "Hey, buddy, you feeling all right?" If he doesn't respond Marcán lightly slaps his face, "Listen - I need to know why exactly you were there with that Hyperborean. You get all that?"

I really hope we can cut these two goofs out of the picture. Makes everything more simple - and I wouldn't have to see two unarmed men get slaughtered. Win-win really. Marcán thinks.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Fair enough, Theron. For your sake, I hope that satisfies Zelkor's widow. Hired by who I wonder? Did you two offend him somehow, or are you just THAT unlucky?" Rhenmyr replies before re-gagging the man. "What is the problem with that horse? I'll be wanting some sleep tonight."

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Heron makes one more attempt at calming the horse. Figuring the presence of another horse might be soothing to the beast, he takes out his steel mirror and ties it securely to the back of a chair with some twine. He hangs the chair up on the railing of an opposing or adjacent stall and focuses the light of his bull's-eye lantern upon the spot, taking care to stay outside of the horse's bite.

If the horse fails to react, or becomes even more violet after several minutes of exposure. Heron will then ring his bell rhythmically. Occasionally checking in upon the group's prisoner to see that he is still secure.

The goal is to achieve something similar to this
or just calm it through soothing stimuli

nikolokolus

Arcane
Marcán approaches the delirious man in the meantime. He crouches down at eye (or in this case closed eye) level. "Hey, buddy, you feeling all right?" If he doesn't respond Marcán lightly slaps his face, "Listen - I need to know why exactly you were there with that Hyperborean. You get all that?"

I really hope we can cut these two goofs out of the picture. Makes everything more simple - and I wouldn't have to see two unarmed men get slaughtered. Win-win really. Marcán thinks.

With Marcán's slap, the hulking man called Erasmos stirs and little and opens his eyes for the first time. "Hunh?" He says in a thin, raspy voice. "What . . . Hyper-breen? Theron, where is you?" You aren't sure if he's still just suffering the effects of exposure, or if he might also be a little slow-witted to boot. "I'm here Erasmos." the stocky man replies and then turns to Marcán, "He aint gonna be able to tell you nothin' Not since he got jumped last year. He's gone . . . simple."

Heron makes one more attempt at calming the horse. Figuring the presence of another horse might be soothing to the beast, he takes out his steel mirror and ties it securely to the back of a chair with some twine. He hangs the chair up on the railing of an opposing or adjacent stall and focuses the light of his bull's-eye lantern upon the spot, taking care to stay outside of the horse's bite.

If the horse fails to react, or becomes even more violet after several minutes of exposure. Heron will then ring his bell rhythmically. Occasionally checking in upon the group's prisoner to see that he is still secure.

As Heron approaches with his small mirror held aloft, the massive charger backs up and snorts loudly. Suddenly it rears up on its hindlegs and strikes the gate to the stall with two quick, bludgeoning hoof strikes: Horse's damage to the gate. [1d3] = 3 + [1d3] = 2 Heavy splinters fly off and the gate is now hanging drunkenly open on a single hinge. The horse is now more or less "free" and it doesn't look happy; it's not charging out, but you suspect that unless it is given a wide berth it might attack.

I totally get what you are trying to do and these are good and intelligent things people do to try and calm animals - if it had been a normal riding horse you probably would have had a great deal of success. For whatever reason, this is maybe the most ill-tempered stallion you've ever encountered and whatever it is that keeps it under control is something different than what people have tried so far.

bert

Arcane
Sokrates shrugs, and decides perhaps that it's not looking for attention right now. Purposefully ignoring it would be the best course of action. Turning on his heel, Sokrates calmly walks away to sit outside the stable. He gives a look over his shoulder when the black charger destroys the stall door, though he remains persistent in his act. Besides, it was time to rest and think about things. What does Mitra have to say now?

nikolokolus

Arcane
(OOC: Unless anybody has something else, do people try to sleep? You hear a cock crow, which suggests dawn is maybe an hour or so off and in any case you'll need to rest for at least six hours to receive 1 HP/level + Con bonus and to be able to memorize spells and replenish lay on hands, etc. If somebody that is unwounded wants to stay awake there shouldn't be any deleterious effects ... for now.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom