Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

L'ennui

Magister
Urash's concerned frown turns to a wisecracking smiling figure:

"Why, Borric, I did not figure you such a great poet! I suspect you are the best candidate for the spear, do not take my worries as a slight to your mettle."

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Brule, I'd like to help. I can live off the land in the jungles to the south, but I have much to learn of your northern fens and forests."

Brule turns and listens to Rhenmyr, "Come along then. I see by the way you move on the trail that you are wise in woodcraft. I'll show you some of what I know" (Consider this part of your training on learning a new "native territory" at level 4).

Mab finds a pot and fills it with some water from his waterskin. He drops three stones like the kind used in a sling into the pot. He prepares a fire, and hangs the pot over it, "Here. These oughtta help with some of the interrogation. If it's even needed of course."

Rashid nods and flashes a wicked grin, "This bastard has much to atone for these past six months" (I'll wait just a bit to see if Stalin_Brando is free, but if not I'll do what seems logical for his character soon-ish)

Marcán shrugs and leaves the rest to Rashid. He goes off to find Fidach and Oona, "Fidach, do you have a moment? I might need you to translate something for me. It shouldn't take long." He looks to Oona, and speaks in Keltic, "Do you have something on your mind that you need to tell me?"

Fidach smiles faintly and smooths his mustaches with the back of his hand before coughing slightly, "Oh? What is it?" he listens as Marcán talks with Oona and relates something to her in Pictish. Oona watches Marcán intently as her father speaks and wrinkles her brow before sharply rebuking him in Pictish. Oona turns on her heel and flashes a sour look at Marcán before she stalks outside the hut, her face turning red with either rage or embarrassment. Fidach's eyes go wide and he struggles to keep his face smooth, "Ah . . . Marcán, I apologize for my daughter's outburst. I'm not sure if I should repeat what she said?" He seems to consider his words carefully, "Frankly it didn't make much sense. She seems to think you are fool and said something about the 'witch can have you' whatever that means. Does this mean anything to you?"

"Hotter temperament, Man of Kor? Nay, this fury is but the unbridled primal force that lurks in the hearts of those who know no home in "civilization". It is the exultation of the victor, the defiance of the unbent, the courage that makes the true warrior stand where others flee, the sheer vitality of he that fights all of nature as it stands against him, if only to draw one more breath. If the winds must howl, tempests must thunder and volcanos spew fire-stone, so too must man rage. Hotter temperament, pah!"

(Does Borric take up or otherwise handle the spear?)

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Mab grins lightly at Rashid, "That is good. These should be ready soon, and will cause him much pain," He then whispers, almost as if speaking to someone else, "And I know what the pain of retribution feels like, don't I?" While tracing a faint scar on the side of his head.

Last edited:
Cormac finishes his snack, gets up and starts to wander around looking around the structure and away from the structure to see if there is anything of interest. He does not stray far from the building.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marcán smiles a bit. "I don't know how Oona knows this, but I am to wed the Witch after we slay the beast. It was an agreement, in return for this whip which was said to help us in banishing the Witch. When we get back I can expect... to... consummate..." He gulps back something foul in his mouth that heaves up. He makes for the door. "Come, I think she at least deserves an explanation. I'm sorry to get you involved in something like this."

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rashid nods and flashes a wicked grin, "This bastard has much to atone for these past six months" (I'll wait just a bit to see if Stalin_Brando is free, but if not I'll do what seems logical for his character soon-ish)

(Does Borric take up or otherwise handle the spear?)

Will take it up later.
Looking at Uvan's wound heal faster than is normal for mortals, Borric says "The Slaver might have much to atone for, but harming his body is no good if he heals thus fast. When he wakes, overwhelm his senses, shine a torch at his eyes, stuff strong-smelling things in front of his nose, and scratch something noisy by his ears. Let's see his wolf-senses handle all that."

Wayward Son

"This level of pain will overwhelm his nerves. That it will it harm him is good. But this is lead heated by boiling water. It will cause too much pain, and be therapeutic for Rashid here."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Marcán smiles a bit. "I don't know how Oona knows this, but I am to wed the Witch after we slay the beast. It was an agreement, in return for this whip which was said to help us in banishing the Witch. When we get back I can expect... to... consummate..." He gulps back something foul in his mouth that heaves up. He makes for the door. "Come, I think she at least deserves an explanation. I'm sorry to get you involved in something like this."

Fidach's eyes go wide at the mention of the witch-woman Ymae, "Oh you needn't apologize to me. But you really agreed to wed and bed the old hag?" His expression is clearly incredulous, "That is to say, a pity you didn't consult with Brule or I before agreeing. That old crone has been hot after a husband for years, ever since her auld Uinst fell ill and died maybe twenty years ago. But if you gave your word, then that's a grave thing with a witch. You'd be dead in a fortnight from some curse if you break your oath. As for my daughter, don't fret too much. I don't want to make you feel bad, but I think she's gone all moon-eyed over you." He grins faintly, "I'm sure it's a passing thing." He then pats Marcán on the shoulder consolingly and walks over to the firepit and kneels to assemble some tinder and small sticks into a pile.

Will take it up later.
Looking at Uvan's wound heal faster than is normal for mortals, Borric says "The Slaver might have much to atone for, but harming his body is no good if he heals thus fast. When he wakes, overwhelm his senses, shine a torch at his eyes, stuff strong-smelling things in front of his nose, and scratch something noisy by his ears. Let's see his wolf-senses handle all that."

"This level of pain will overwhelm his nerves. That it will it harm him is good. But this is lead heated by boiling water. It will cause too much pain, and be therapeutic for Rashid here."

Rashid listens to Borric's and Mab's advice with a sort of detached absent-mindedness. His full attention is on the fully awake Uvan who is sitting on the dirt floor of the cabin staring back up at him with sullen eyes. The corners of Rashid's mouth turns up in a macabre, closed-mouth grin, "No need for anything extravagant friends. The fact that this pig seems to possess supernatural healing ability is to my advantage. I won't have to worry about cutting too deeply and killing him too quickly. I'm going to take this son of whore outside now and do some very, very unpleasant things to him." He leans in close to Uvan, inches from his face, "He's going to tell me everything we want to know." Rashid then jambs his thumb into Uvan's bruised, swollen eye, crushing the eye and clamping a hold by the ocular cavity. Uvan's muffled screams fill the cabin and Rashid practically drags him outside into the deepening gloam.

(I'd rather not describe a blow-by-blow torture scene, if everybody's cool with that? Suffice it say, Rashid is about to go "medieval on his ass.")

nikolokolus

Arcane
After about an hour, Brule and Rhenmyr return to the cabin with 3 coneys, and a 2 pheasants. The mood in the cabin is somber as Fidach prepares a boiling pot of water and empties a couple of chopped up roots and a pinch of salt to the boil. He takes Brule's kill and gives it to Oona who sets about skinning the rabbits and plucking the pheasants. In short order the lot is cubed and thrown into the pot and a stew is set to a simmer.

Another hour passes and Rashid finally returns to the hut. Uvan is not with him and there is a considerable amount of blood spattered on his tunic and breeches. He heads straight for the fire and squats down on his haunches and holds his hands up to the fire and rubs his palms together for warmth. He doesn't look at anyone in the room and he doesn't speak, but he wears a self-satisfied grin.

Siveon

Bot
"Well, for starters, why did his visage show him as wolf-man? Why did him and his men go to the tomb, did he intend on going to the remains as we were? And does he know anything about the return of Blaidd Mawr?"

Wayward Son

"My friend, the proper terminology may be did he know. Then again, Rashid isn't me, so I'm only assuming. Let's get this man some food to discuss this over."
Mab fills a bowl with the aforementioned stew.

Siveon

Bot
"Are you sure you aren't one of the elders in my village? You sound just like her." Marcán quips, also taking a bit of the meal himself.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr fills a bowl of stew and asks, "He was Talorc's man. What of his role in this? Or his shaman crony that proposed the lottery?"

Cormac avoids the unpleasantries that Rashid was participating in, and upon smelling the food, comes to the house. "I think I smell that stew I wanted back in town...by Arawn! All of that blood on you Rashid! Maybe I'm not so hungry now."

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rashid takes up a small bowl of stew and blows on it to cool it. He takes delicate bites of the piping hot morsels of meat and speaks around chews, "Well, for starters it looks like Talorc sent Uvan to track you all down and see what mischief you were up to. When the time was right Uvan and his band were to ambush you and kill you to a man; trouble is, Uvan never counted on a water sprite guarding the tomb's entrance. As for his wolfish aspect, he blamed ol' Talorc for that one. Said the old bastard bit him about nine months ago and ever since then whenever Selene (the larger, turquoise moon) is in her fullness a change comes over him and he is forced to roam the countryside slaying with Talorc and a handful of other men forced into the form of wolves. Says he was cursed and damned and only Talorc could free him."

Rashid finishes his meal, slurping the broth from his wooden bowl, "It's the damndest thing. Uvan seemed genuinely terrified of Blaidd Mawr. I pressed him, but he really didn't seem to know why the beast has appeared and why it harries Crannógmere, but I get the feeling Talorc is terrified of it too. Unfortunately I fear I pressed to hard. He expired about the twentieth time I immersed him in the stream."

Siveon

Bot
Marcán takes a last sip of his stew. "That's half of the mystery solved. Good work, Rashid. Remind me to never get on your bad side. So... who's brave enough to try and fix a rage-inducing wolf-hating spear?" Marcán pipes in.

Wayward Son

Mab looks at Rashid, "Do you feel any better? About what he did?" He then takes the last draught of his stew, smacking his lips appreciatelively. "That was some good food. The Drunes may be wise men, but they couldn't cook to save the forest!"

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"So Talorc and a few others are wolf creatures too. And they're terrified of Blaidd Mawr. Perhaps it is here to punish them, and they created the lottery to save themselves. Did you get an idea of how many werewolves we're dealing with, Rashid?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rashid nods at Rhenmyr's question, "Aye. Uvan said there were six others besides himself and Talorc that would go on their monthly "hunt," but aside from Talorc he never knew who these other men were; he only ever knew them in their wolf form, and all of them seemed to be in thrall to Talorc. I got the impression this pack would range far and wide attacking other villages and clans. Uvan kept mentioning their 'sacrifice for the greater good.' Whatever that's supposed to mean."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Turning to Brule, Fidach, and Oona, "Do you know who these others may be?" After finishing his stew Rhenmyr stands and says, "I'll look at repairing the spear. I imagine we will want it whole whether we face a pack of werewolves or Blaidd Mawr. By the way, when is the next full moon when they turn?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Ker and Mab both know that the next full moon of Selene is 6 days away.

Brule, Fidach and Oona seem to ponder, exchanging glances occasionally and talking in hushed tones. Finally Brule speaks aloud, "If Talorc is a shapechanger then it's an even bet his boot-licking sorcerer Syelle Ru is one too. As for the others I really don't know? Maybe members of his bodyguard?" Brule rubs his chin, staring into the fire, "What I don't understand is Uvan or Talorc being afraid of Blaidd Mawr. In every tale I ever heard growing up, the Wolf-god was always at the vanguard of an ancient foe known as the Wolf Tribe -- half-feral shapeshifters from deep in the heart of the Dolmenwood."

nikolokolus

Arcane
As for repairing the spear, does anyone have a background in woodwork or weaponsmithing? Also important: who is going to try and handle it and how?

Wayward Son

As for repairing the spear, does anyone have a background in woodwork or weaponsmithing? Also important: who is going to try and handle it and how?
My character helped hunters when he was younger, prior to becoming a druid. I would assume that he has some skill as a woodworker. Though I will leave it to your discretion whether or not he does./spoiler]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom