Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

nikolokolus

Arcane
Marcán is almost sure that the enire tomb is about to come crashing down and a sudden wave of claustrophobia rolls over you.

Roll a saving throw or flee in terror to the nearest exit (i.e. you lose your nerve and aren't rational and thus maybe you don't take all of the precautions you normally would. You do however get your +2 versus "charm" to resist a mind-affecting phenomena).

nikolokolus

Arcane
In the other chamber where the rest of the troupe waits, A great choking cloud of dust vomits out of the narrow passage Rhenmyr entered. The tomb is eerily silent.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Marcán tries to quell the panic rising in his throat, but he breaks and starts to bolt for the entrance

(somebody can try to stop him if they want to ...)

nikolokolus

Arcane
Borric tries to restrain the Bard.
roll str check to grapple?
Yep. Roll to-hit first.

To Hit: [1d20+3] = 18+3 = 21
Str to grapple vs 17:[3d6] = 9

Bard lives, yes?
I'm looking at the rules-as-written for grappling in swords & wizardry and I'm pretty sure they are shit. So GM fiat here: I'm going to crib a modified version of the grappling rules from a game I think does a far better job of it (Magic World/Stormbringer)

New Grappling Rules:
-Attacker and Defender each roll to-hit. If the attacker rolls higher than the defender he succeeds in grabbing his opponent. If the Defender rolls equal to or higher they avoid the grappling attempt.
-If the grapple succeeds, The attacker has two choices, pin or trip.
  • A trip automatically succeeds and the defender is knocked prone.
  • If the attacker tries to pin then the base chance of success is 50%. The two characters compare Strength scores and for every point the attacker's Strength is above or below the target's, he adds or subtracts 5% from his roll to immobilize him/her. (The assumption is that two characters with equal strength have an equal chance of success or failure). Once a target is pinned/immobilized, it can be maintained each round thereafter for as long as they continue to pass their pinning roll.
  • A pin can be broken a number of ways. A defender counters with their own grappling check on their turn, or the attacker suffers damage (saving throw allowed to maintain their pin).
Notes:
Multiple attackers vs. a single target: If more than one attacker overcomes a defender's "to-hit" roll, then the Strength scores are summed up and compared to the defender's. The strongest character on the attacking side then rolls the chance to immobilize.

Example: Borric attacks Marcán and rolls a 21. Marcán needs to roll a 21 or better to avoid the grapple. Borric's Strength is 17 and Marcán's is 16. If Marcán doesn't avoid the grapple attempt then Borric either automatically trips him, or he has a 55% chance to pin him.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
How'd you roll a 0? Odd that. But at least you haven't been crushed to death by falling blocks! But then the day isn't over yet either.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Borric grabs hold of Marcán as he tries to dash out of the chamber (ERYFKRAD you can either trip him (automatic) and knock him down or try pin him (55% chance))

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why can't I trip him, then pin him down? If I can't do that I'll just pin the Bard.

L'ennui

Magister
Is he within sight of me? Perhaps seeing another coward risk-averse spelunker who ran, but is now chatting idly with Brule and no longer running, would help him regain his cool and reassess the situation.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Why can't I trip him, then pin him down? If I can't do that I'll just pin the Bard.
You can certainly trip him this round then attempt to pin him next round with another successful grapple check (roll to hit with +4 added to the roll because he's prone)

Is he within sight of me? Perhaps seeing another coward risk-averse spelunker who ran, but is now chatting idly with Brule and no longer running, would help him regain his cool and reassess the situation.

I can buy that. He gets another saving throw to regain his composure each round. We'll say he gets +2 to the roll. So Siveon you'll get +4 to your save next round.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric renders the Bard prone with a swift swipe at his feet.
next round I'm sitting on the bloke for minimum harm.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Marcán goes down hard on his face as Borric grabs him roughly by the shoulder and then kicks his feet out from underneath him.

Siveon go ahead and roll your saving throw to see if you regain your nerve. If so you quell your panic and regain control of Marcán. If not, Marcán will try to stand and flee the tomb via one of its exits -- either the the way you came in or the past the pit.

EDIT: If Marcán tries to flee again other characters can try to assist in Borric's grappling attempt as per the rules I laid out in the other post

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom