Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Play-by-Post: In Search of the Sorcerer

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Is there any manner of fire we can send into these holes? We'd either flush them out our way, where we'd have the element of surprise. Or we seal the holes and let them get suffocated to death by smoke."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"I don't think we have fuel to sustain a fire long enough to smoke things out. I'd suggest we close the doors and move on."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Let me know when you've all come to some kind of consensus and what your next step is.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Let me show you the options." Rhenmyr leads the way back to the stairwell. "Two creatures attacked from this stairwell. Beyond the second stairwell is the pit chamber I mentioned. Thoughts on where we should go? The two creatures didn't seem too formidable."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"The two down there hissed and looked none too healthy. Loose skin and oozing sores."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"If no one has more to add, lets do as Urash suggests." Rhenmyr leads the way down the stairs.
nikolokolus I think we're good to go but wonder if people aren't getting notifications here and in DCC.

nikolokolus

Arcane
"If no one has more to add, lets do as Urash suggests." Rhenmyr leads the way down the stairs.
nikolokolus I think we're good to go but wonder if people aren't getting notifications here and in DCC.

I'm not getting them with any regularity. I did get this one though. In any case, onward!

The narrow and steep stairs are worn smooth as if many footsteps have ground them down through the long ages. At the bottom the two jumbled bodies prove a minor obstacle, but they are easily enough stepped over or pulled off of the threshold. Upon closer inspection you notice slightly elongated canine teeth protruding down from their upper jaws, and their torsos seem slightly stretched as if they might have been in the nascent stages of transforming into whatever the other man-serpent thing was in the other room.

Stepping through the archway puts you inside a circular chamber with a high domed ceiling that is just barely illuminated by torch. In the center of the floor is a tile mosaic that looks something like a bear's head -- mouth agape and long fangs hanging down over its chin. Up against the northern wall is an oval stone bier or altar about 2 feet tall and 3 feet wide carved with ursine symbols.

4RrMjCW.png

Arrayed on top of the bier is a collection of very large bones, a pair of massive bony claws and a huge skull of some kind of bear.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"What do you make of the 'bear' stuff, Brule?" Rhenmyr moves to check the bier making sure not to step on the mosaic.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Brule shakes his head and furrows his brow, looking slightly confused. "I don't know. These symbols mean nothing to me and I don't recall anything about bears."

L'ennui

Magister
Circling along the northernmost wall, making sure to prod the floor before him with his staff, Urash will go inspect the altar. Do the inscriptions describe a scene, an act? Anything we can interpret or recognise?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric prods the wall with his crowbar in order to discern anything of importance.

Looking for button switches, that sort of thing. Trying to cover the walls and the floor, and the roof if I can reach it. Roll?

nikolokolus

Arcane
The engravings on the bier don't appear to be runes or symbols one would associate with language. Cormac is fairly certain that the engravings are memorializing the deceased in some way, but you aren't familiar with such burial practices.

Borric spends about ten minutes prodding at the wall looking for loose masonry and tapping the wall for hollow spaces, but turns up nothing.

Urash inspects the bier carefully without touching anything. The only noteworthy thing about is that the top of the bier has a stone surface with a lip that overhangs about an inch all around. It doesn't perfectly line up with the base of the altar.

Siveon Marcán can roll his bardic knowledge roll to see if knows anything special about the symbols

L'ennui

Magister
Urash hesitates for a moment.

Could it be trapped? Unlikely, but still...

He finally makes up his mind, and says:

"Um... Alright, let's give it a go."

Strength roll?

nikolokolus

Arcane
Strength roll?

The lid is several inches thick and seems to be composed of a dark gray stone. Urash and Rhenmyr stand at either side of the stone and test its weight. It doesn't budge with casual effort. whomever placed this stone here must have possessed the strength of a giant.

A test of strength is indeed the only way to lift the lid. It is a 5d6 strength test vs. the strongest character's Strength score. Each person that helps subtracts 1 from the roll. Characters with damage bonuses from high Strength apply (subtract) their damage bonus to the roll, and the maximum number of people who can attempt to lift the stone is four.

So decide who is going to roll and who is going to aid. Only one attempt can be made per hour.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Damn, It's heavy. Brule, Borric, Marcan, care to help me lift it? No offense, Urash. "

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom