Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

gaussgunner

Arcane
Web game can be wrapped into non-web game, and is easy to port to lot of platforms. Including web platform.

Also, there is a ton of free assets in the net that could make your prototype less bleedy-eyey until you find the artist.

Well, I darkened the GUI color scheme, better? Eh, could use some ground tiles/textures, little trees and shit. I'm also gonna add walk & attack animations, with weapons in hand. I get that almost for free by using the casual/anime-looking characters from my ARPG; those are actually articulated spline models. Gotta draw some soldiers & weapons, and more maps.

Gameplay first though. Did a lot of work on "stepwise combat" (eh, probably too creative, might have to go with traditional turnbased). Also added some unbalanced spells/weapons such as the gauss cannon, and Equipment and Party Inventory dialogs (tip of the hat to Excidium II - agenda acknowledged & approved, stats and sorting TBD).

Goddamn. Fuck you. Icon inventories are among the worst thing to happen to CRPGs. I don't want to look through retarded tiny pictures of shit i'm carrying. I want names and important stats available at a glance and sortable.
worse, inventory tetris

http://machiaville.neocities.org/tactics-demo/game.html
machiaville-tactics-v005.png

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Have I ever mentioned that we're turning X Caeli into a visual novel atm? Basically, the flow of the game becomes "some space shooting > some extreme romancing > moar space shooting > moar romancing". Joking a bit about extreme romancing, ofc - I'm more focusing it on the delirious humour. With a good dosage of ecchi included, though it's mostly visual - I'm a highbrow kind of a guy so it's gonna be a highbrow ecchi. With eldritch deity as the main protagonist (wanking schoolkid senpais may go fuck themselves) and the entire cast being relatively adult (mentally, at the very least) and not absolutely focused on senpai noticing them.

With some pleasant references too - one is a rogue psion called Bayra (rememer Bayra, if you know what I mean), another is the augmented ninja Jessie Dent (here, the artist himself has gone rogue so there's not much physical similarity; well, at least I'll make her cosplay as him - we'll have a chapter where everyone does cosplay), the drunken inventor Milly Gallagher... Yeah, I've totally "borrowed" the titular character from the Henry Kuttner Gallagher's series (gender-swapping him in the process, of course), but it's not like lotsa people read them nowadays.

Don't want to show much atm (we'll be releasing somewhere around next summer so it's kinda too early for that), but I'm really liking the sketch of the week (that's our speed - one sketch per week) so here's its work in progress mode. For those who'll get the reference - the trick here is that our protagonist is made from such starry darkness and the picture is the result of psion trying to read his otherworldly mind.

oK363ZDk6ZU.jpg

gaussgunner

Arcane

Aug as fuck. Or perfectly round in low-G :lol:

Have I ever mentioned that we're turning X Caeli into a visual novel atm? Basically, the flow of the game becomes "some space shooting > some extreme romancing > moar space shooting > moar romancing". Joking a bit about extreme romancing, ofc - I'm more focusing it on the delirious humour. With a good dosage of ecchi included, though it's mostly visual - I'm a highbrow kind of a guy so it's gonna be a highbrow ecchi.....

Hmm. Good luck with that. Wrestling with the same thing in my ARPG; comic-style low budget vector art, some sexy characters, deep interactions with ~20 NPCs, but I absolutely don't want to make a dating sim. That's what I get for trying to shoehorn an RPG into a hack'n'slash platformer. :lol: If I'd played new games last decade I would've known ARPGs were a terrible mistake. Thinkin' I should just add fucktons of linear level trash combat, call it a day, and get on with my turnbased CRPG.

TBH delirious humour is a red flag to me, surely you jest? D:OS has a lot of humor and it almost ruins the game. Though if your humor is tastefully X-rated it could certainly be more acceptable to grognards. :lol:

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
TBH delirious humour is a red flag to me, surely you jest? D:OS has a lot of humor and it almost ruins the game. Though if your humor is tastefully X-rated it could certainly be more acceptable to grognards. :lol:

At this point, I pretty much hate rpgish brand of humour. Besides, rpg audience has shown zero interest in our project, so I'm just aiming it at the Visual Novel audience. As for the humour - I'm a big fan of stuff like Excel Saga, Sexy Commando, Chromartie High School, Tentai Senshi Sunred, etc. The absurdist japanese comedy, to put it simply. So it's sorta different kind of sillyness than in Larian's case.

Besides, it's not like their ideas for jokes are bad - it's the delivery that sucks. You could've played Arhu's card much better than they did. I mean, Fallout 2 and New Vegas are as clowny as D:OS, but only the few diehard Fallout 1 fans complain about that.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Have I ever mentioned that we're turning X Caeli into a visual novel atm? Basically, the flow of the game becomes "some space shooting > some extreme romancing > moar space shooting > moar romancing". Joking a bit about extreme romancing, ofc - I'm more focusing it on the delirious humour. With a good dosage of ecchi included, though it's mostly visual - I'm a highbrow kind of a guy so it's gonna be a highbrow ecchi. With eldritch deity as the main protagonist (wanking schoolkid senpais may go fuck themselves) and the entire cast being relatively adult (mentally, at the very least) and not absolutely focused on senpai noticing them.

With some pleasant references too - one is a rogue psion called Bayra (rememer Bayra, if you know what I mean), another is the augmented ninja Jessie Dent (here, the artist himself has gone rogue so there's not much physical similarity; well, at least I'll make her cosplay as him - we'll have a chapter where everyone does cosplay), the drunken inventor Milly Gallagher... Yeah, I've totally "borrowed" the titular character from the Henry Kuttner Gallagher's series (gender-swapping him in the process, of course), but it's not like lotsa people read them nowadays.

Don't want to show much atm (we'll be releasing somewhere around next summer so it's kinda too early for that), but I'm really liking the sketch of the week (that's our speed - one sketch per week) so here's its work in progress mode. For those who'll get the reference - the trick here is that our protagonist is made from such starry darkness and the picture is the result of psion trying to read his otherworldly mind.

oK363ZDk6ZU.jpg

Why are her tits so big and prominent? Is she at some formal event or something?

Alchemist

Arcane
Alchemist
How did Godot Engine work out for you? Are you still using it?
Honestly I haven't touched Godot in a couple months, but not due to any fault of the engine. I haven't been game developing lately, but still intend to use it for my main project. I've kept an eye on Godot's progress though, and it seems to be steadily improving. The 3D support is where it's still lacking compared to the competition and that will be addressed with version 3 at some point. Depends on your needs though, as I can imagine it handles low-poly 3D just fine.

Are you thinking of giving it a try?

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

For sure. I am only interested in 2D though. I've seen it mentioned by several different people over the last couple of years, so was curious if they still like it. The only other engine I'm interested in uses HTML5. The idea of a game that runs on anything with a browser is tempting, but I don't know if you could make anything complex with it.

Alchemist

Arcane

For sure. I am only interested in 2D though. I've seen it mentioned by several different people over the last couple of years, so was curious if they still like it. The only other engine I'm interested in uses HTML5. The idea of a game that runs on anything with a browser is tempting, but I don't know if you could make anything complex with it.
Oh yeah, for pure 2D I think Godot is one of the best options available. I looked around and tried out several engines and Godot won me over.

I haven't really looked into HTML5 for game development, so I don't know if it would handle a complex game or not. Many engines (including Godot) have an HTML5 export option so there is that to consider.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I haven't really looked into HTML5 for game development, so I don't know if it would handle a complex game or not. Many engines (including Godot) have an HTML5 export option so there is that to consider.

Woah I didn't see that. I've no reason to bother with the other engine then. Will start learning Godot.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Godot is using it's own language. Meaning you can't use any side pre-existing libraries.

I've gone off using libraries, as I enjoyed development more when I wrote only what I needed. I wouldn't be using a game engine either, except Handmade Hero is Windows only for the moment (Correction: someone did an SDL port for Linux) and I am done with Windows

However do I understand Godot will have C# soon and they will help devs add whatever language they want. Apparently Godot is set up to make the process easy so they claim.

Thanks for the link. Will take a look.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
Besides, rpg audience has shown zero interest in our project, so I'm just aiming it at the Visual Novel audience. As for the humour - I'm a big fan of stuff like Excel Saga, Sexy Commando, Chromartie High School, Tentai Senshi Sunred, etc. The absurdist japanese comedy, to put it simply. So it's sorta different kind of sillyness than in Larian's case.

I can rely to that. I also plan to try to exploit niche audience. Given that my game is about pool balls,

https://baturinsky.github.io/GlueTime/index.html
dcd5ec7b04aa8d1271c2ccb0d9452c7becc50284_1_690x400.png

natural choice is Homestuck fans. Maybe I'll even find an artist there...

gaussgunner

Arcane

Oh yeah, for pure 2D I think Godot is one of the best options available. I looked around and tried out several engines and Godot won me over.

Ahh, good old HTML5. Great for demos & game jams. Other than that, it has no future. Downsides are performance, browser bugs, increasing security restrictions, and no popular marketplaces. There is not and never will be an HTML5 appstore/Steam. Performance: in my tests WebGL was ~5x slower than C++ OpenGL. Canvas is at least 10x slower; blits & fills are pretty fast; outlines & text are slow (due to print-quality rendering). Browser updates can ruin everything. You can get smooth 60fps one day and jerky 20fps the next, if it works at all. So you have to design for the lowest common denominator, and leave a wide margin for future decline.

Godot has a C++ API so you might be able to hook up other libs. Purely computational libs may work in HTML5 (they use Emscripten to compile C++ to JS).

With any engine that exports HTML5 you have to make sure performance is acceptable for your game on all browsers & devices you want to support. And make sure it does decent packing. I've seen web games that make 1000 HTTP requests, one for every little image, sound effect, etc. They can get weird bugs if 1 request times out. A good engine will pack those into a few big files or a single html file.

baturinsky

Arcane
Itch.io is appstore for HTML games. Kind of.

HTML is good for one thing - player can just click a link and jump right in.

But yeah, HTML is not good for something at least moderately complex.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Yeah, kind of. "itch.io is a simple way to find and share indie games online for free." I don't really see any web games on there that cost money, just free casual shit. Serious devs can't run a business on that. The curse of the web...

I'm just using HTML5 to try out ideas in that one turnbased rpg now. My other game is C++ and I'll probably port this one to C++ after prototyping. I'm actually installing Emscripten right now.. should be able to build a big chunk of my JS from C++ and get a performance boost. If I can port everything to C++ and build limited demos in HTML5, that would be ideal.

I will say HTML is nice for debugging. Type some JS in the console, fiddle with GUI layouts. You probably lose all that when exporting from C++. OTOH, coding directly in HTML/JS has a shitload of pitfalls that game developers just shouldn't have to deal with.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can sell your HTML/JS games on steam, just wrap a browser around it. Flash games are sold.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I was working on my trading dialog icon, I put the images in the wrong direction by accident but now I wonder if it's not actually less boring that way :
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

baturinsky

Arcane
Yeah, kind of. "itch.io is a simple way to find and share indie games online for free." I don't really see any web games on there that cost money, just free casual shit. Serious devs can't run a business on that. The curse of the web...

I'm just using HTML5 to try out ideas in that one turnbased rpg now. My other game is C++ and I'll probably port this one to C++ after prototyping. I'm actually installing Emscripten right now.. should be able to build a big chunk of my JS from C++ and get a performance boost. If I can port everything to C++ and build limited demos in HTML5, that would be ideal.

I will say HTML is nice for debugging. Type some JS in the console, fiddle with GUI layouts. You probably lose all that when exporting from C++. OTOH, coding directly in HTML/JS has a shitload of pitfalls that game developers just shouldn't have to deal with.

I highly recommend using Typescript instead of JS, especially if you are used to typed languages. It does not force you to use types where you don't want, and is doing good work at type inference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom