Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Mimicking DOOM level 1 I see.

Which languages, frameworks, etc?

My game is also "from scratch" and has a custom editor (which is built into the game).

7h30n

Augur
Mimicking DOOM level 1 I see.

The plan is to recreate E1M1 as a baseline of needed features. Then I'm onto making cca 10 levels and call it done.

Which languages, frameworks, etc?

My game is also "from scratch" and has a custom editor (which is built into the game).

Pretty much everything is written in Common Lisp. For the game I'm using SDL2 and OpenGL, that's it. Map editor is separate from the game (I'm still deciding whether that is a mistake or not), and it's done with Qt4 (qtools package for lisp).

7h30n

Augur
Can you record a gif of shooting a gun?

Sure will when I get it working in game. This time next year? xD

I'll probably make a video when I have some monsters on the map and basic shooting.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
I started messing with heaps https://github.com/HeapsIO/heaps ( Framework that Dead Cells, and the evoland games use )

My initial impression is really good. But it really is a very early impression.
Chances are it is good because 1. Dead Cells, 2. Haxe, 3. The guy who started Haxe also made this, 4. Dead Cells.

Also bar none the best tiles/tilemap implementation to date. completely configurable (that is freely positionable and sortable) tilemaps in just a few lines of code. I tried filling a tilemap with a million hexes (not all on screen of course) and got 1000fps.

It is component based from what Im gathering, and leaves the updating/scene-tree architecture up to you.

Sadly it has very crap documentation at the moment, but the source is incredibly clean and pretty easy to follow so far

Last edited:

levgre

Novice
More of the prototype art is done, the artist is working on making the faces more clear atm (and working on more characters).

The weapons were just ripped off of google, later on they will be made custom for the game to look nicer. Also there will be more pose variety/granularity. Just getting stuff working for now.

There's also more weapons than just these, I just started off doing images for 3 in each category for now (1 hand, 2 hand, polearm). Ranged/throwing weapons will also have to be done, bows will need a pretty unique stances for example.

image.png

Also more progress as far as coding/designing which i'll post about sometime in the near future.

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
More of the prototype art is done, the artist is working on making the faces more clear atm (and working on more characters).

The weapons were just ripped off of google, later on they will be made custom for the game to look nicer. Also there will be more pose variety/granularity. Just getting stuff working for now.

There's also more weapons than just these, I just started off doing images for 3 in each category for now (1 hand, 2 hand, polearm). Ranged/throwing weapons will also have to be done, bows will need a pretty unique stances for example.

image.png

Also more progress as far as coding/designing which i'll post about sometime in the near future.

https://i.imgur.com/FRLBUIb.png
FRLBUIb.png

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014

so this is day 5 of work, we're currently on day 7 and all the weird camera stutters are fixed now but this is my thing im making.. its surrealist and its a game where you're a small town gardener who moonlights as a cybernetic killing machine in an environment that i havent decided on yet

probs wont finish it, idk, but we're having fun and we're super dedicated to the point where it's taken over our lives--or at least mine and the programmer's.

sorry for the shit video btw still figuring out obs.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've been doing a lot of drawing the last few days. I made about 30 helmets for my game (a couple are recolors or slight variations, but still I count them as unique), each with male and female sprite sheets. In this scene I'm testing them out, making sure they appear on the right sprite layer (hats on top of the hair sprite, masks below it) and doing the right thing with the hair sprite (helmets hide the hair sprite; hats leave it alone). The lighting in this test screenshot isn't perfect, but at least I know these are working.

HelmetTest.jpg

Next I need to give these helmets stats and then insert them into the game.

Ninjerk

Arcane

so this is day 5 of work, we're currently on day 7 and all the weird camera stutters are fixed now but this is my thing im making.. its surrealist and its a game where you're a small town gardener who moonlights as a cybernetic killing machine in an environment that i havent decided on yet

probs wont finish it, idk, but we're having fun and we're super dedicated to the point where it's taken over our lives--or at least mine and the programmer's.

sorry for the shit video btw still figuring out obs.

That model gives me such strong MGS vibes.

Nathaniel3W That feathered hat has potential. Do you have a proper admiral's hat?

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Ninjerk no admiral's hat yet, but that's a good idea. Maybe it would increase leadership? And... I don't know what else. My game doesn't have any seafaring skills. Any thoughts about what an admiral's hat might do?

A good friend of mine backed my Kickstarter at the tier that lets you put yourself in the game. He was in the Navy. Maybe I'll just make it his unique hat that gives a big leadership buff.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Sounds good. I don't remember enough about any mechanics talk you've made to feel qualified to make a suggestion.

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
What I've done recently: Multi-slot save/load.

Minimum checklist before next build will come out:
-I'm going to redo the init systems.
-Combat needs a concept of events
-Additional party customization stuff I promised.
-More monsters, more animations.
-I'd like resistances and attack types to do more unique stuffs than simply be opposites and/or thresholds.

If anyone has being following my project it has been 2 or 3 weeks with no builds available.
I took down all my builds to remove a dialog line that wouldn't stand the test of time. I made more changes and discovered multitude of bugs.
Then I lost some of the motivation for Scroozeleah after I denounced her spirit-sister.

That said I still got most/all the story written. Not even I can redact that you ungrateful whores. It lives its own life.

The future still looks good.

Men while I'm here, should I add some kind of content downloader to the game? For example when i'm creating the "massive" non-linear quests, i'll probably make mistakes.
It would be nice to just load in the new quests and fixes rather than redownload the entire game each and every time.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Another WIP screenie:

M5FO4mJ.png

Currently I'm working on performance (trying to cut individual chunk generation to at least < 200 ms), squishing some bugs (e.g. due to an oversight I had a bug where 200x200 hexes map ate up 8 GB of RAM at runtime, now it's about 100 MB, don't ask :D ) and also I'm trying to make coastlines more varied.

Interesting little fact - those mountains are ripped straight from CIV 6 SDK ;) .

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
barker_s Looks great. I was about to say that the map had a very Civilization feel to it... I guess there's a reason why that is.

So can you generate these maps at runtime? No need for baked lighting?

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Glad you like it Nathaniel3W !

Yup, the maps are generated (and can be modified) at runtime. No baking so far, currently in my scene there's a single directional light with dynamic shadows. I did consider baking lights since I probably don't need that light to be dynamic, but Unity lightmapper doesn't support baking at runtime, and even if it did it would probably not be feasible for realtime changes.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Spiced up my coastlines a little. Now they're generated based on Voronoi diagrams. I think they look acceptable now.

AKvK7Wf.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom