Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Duckard

Augur
Leaving aside my failure to represent Stamina in icon form, I guess the more important question is as follows:

Is it better to show the success chance of the rolls that will happen (e.g. first you have a 75% chance to hit, then if that succeeds you have 33% chance to crit), or to show the chance of each possible outcome of those rolls (e.g. 50% of the time you will hit, 25% of the time you will crit, 25% of the time you will miss)?

I can't think of a single game that does it the second way, so that should answer the question but maybe someone here knows something I don't.

levgre

Novice
This is what I prefer, all crit info on its own vertical column (and therefore normal hit as well in its own vertical column). And I prefer crit chance as its flat amount as opposed to its proportion of the hit amount. The miss info seems good to me as is.

mJrcV3h.png

Last edited:

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
What information do you draw from these targeting panels? Also, which panel do you prefer?

In my opinion, i like my information to be less bloated.
I like the first window, since the information uses less characters per line and there are less symbols i.e. heart than the other window.
There are very few games that bloating of information was not at all annoying i.e. Diablo, at least to me.
In addition, that separator in #1 window works wonders when the information is stuffing up and the symbols are not that helpful in a bunch of numbers.
I do not know the mechanics but separating information by lines or short text i.e. "basic" and "special" rather by symbols looks more ease to my eyes.
Are all this information is going to be used by players?

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
The first one is definitely better. I can only guess what all the information and the symbols mean, but from an aesthetic point of view, the first one is easier on the eyes and allows you to discern the information much quicker due to separation lines and less clutter.

Modron

Arcane
I largely prefer A because it explains better what is happening, hits/crits/miss and associated stamina cost. B just feels a bit like an excel sheet missing a column and presents some unnecessary information in the form of the 0-0 damage range where just saying miss would confer the same. Also B might confuse some tards who don't want to have to add up the crit and normal hit rate to get their chance to hit.

Plus A just looks nicer. Also don't listen to Kevgre, if a weapon I have a 33% chance to crit on hits I want to know that, not what percent of my swings should be crits.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
In case you need yet another opinion: go with A. And observe how I am telling you just to go with A without the need to tell you not to go with B... Much like the B option in your example, it would be redundant to establish the "fail" when you have already established the "success".

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes I'm aware of shadow issues.

Something's off with the walk animation. Maybe it should cycle a bit faster. Now the characters seem to be skating around.

This is a framerate-driven engine with sprite animations which I pay for, so my options of adjusting this are limited to these, or combination thereof:

1) Double or halve the animation speed (halving would make it choppy, doubling would make it too fast in most cases)
2) Pay the animator to re-render thousands of frames multiple times until we get the timing just right
3) Radically rewrite the engine to be timing-based, with all the glitches that will follow
4) Adjust the amount of pixels per step a person takes

The right amount of pixels is surprisingly hard to nail, as different people seem to require different amounts, and also some animations simply won't mesh with amount of pixels I can ALLOW them to step.

During creation of Fallout, Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarski spent a LOT of effort together as animator and programmer to make sure no character skated, and that NPCs felt completely connected to the ground. In retrospect, Boyarski believes it was a waste of time that could've been spent elsewhere (in his recent Matt Chat interview).

This certainly meshes with my putting it as low priority task, considering how I don't have the team, budget or time they had at Interplay.

just remake it in gamemaker

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Some screenshots of my weebish Earthbound clone.
9etsnwZ.png

91dSsD3.png

VKYrBpI.png

IzTFQ5I.png

5xsaztm.png

CzU1BDx.png

UvSOMu1.png

DiuSN4m.png

7GfTcf3.png

That last one I made just for fun.
It's on the backburner for now since it turned out to be too ambitious to complete in a reasonable amount of time without help, but I will return to it after my current project is completed.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Some screenshots of my weebish Earthbound clone.
9etsnwZ.png

91dSsD3.png

VKYrBpI.png

IzTFQ5I.png

5xsaztm.png

CzU1BDx.png

UvSOMu1.png

DiuSN4m.png

7GfTcf3.png

That last one I made just for fun.
It's on the backburner for now since it turned out to be too ambitious to complete in a reasonable amount of time without help, but I will return to it after my current project is completed.
If I could use Nice x 1, you'd get it. Will there be Satanic pedo conspiracy?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My turn-based combat engine continues to evolve. Now with graphical walls and stuff...

i3du88.jpg

That looks very nice, like an old Ultima made new. Do you have a video of it in action, or any documentation? Do you have any books/texts you recommend for designing fun, turn based combat systems? I have an old system I put together, and I have the scrapped real time one, too, but I want to start over.

I've been putting off the combat system while I redo my game mechanics and complete the content (which tbh is going well and I have been in touch with an artist so I'm pretty pleased). I know that there's going to be a day in the next month or two when I can't kick the can down the road any longer, though.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
So I sat down and decided to optimize the line rendering even further because apparently processing 10k+ lines per frame on shit rigs like mine is a no go.
Earlier, I checked every object for duplicate lines (which are inevitable if you use tiles), which kinda helped -- axing a small bunch of lines per object could usually remove up to 1-2k lines per level, but turns out that wasn't enough.
Now I'm also combining lines that share the same position on XY/XZ/YZ axis, which axed some extra stuff on the top. Will spend another day figuring out how I can improve this even further.

At worst I can implement a small function to purge smaller lines from an object in case I stuff too many of them into the level.

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
At worst I can implement a small function to purge smaller lines from an object in case I stuff too many of them into the level.

Now this is what i call a proper developer =)
Sometimes the developers only develop and forget about optimizing and then, after releasing, they forget about updating as well,
thinking their game is super good as it is and moving on to their newer shit of a game.
Kudos for professionalism.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Is Gas Dundershift drawing just lines? Or are you using polygons?

Zep--

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Now this is what i call a proper developer =)
Sometimes the developers only develop and forget about optimizing and then, after releasing, they forget about updating as well,
thinking their game is super good as it is and moving on to their newer shit of a game.
Kudos for professionalism.
Thanks. This is the least I can do, since these modern and available engines were designed to make the development painless and deliver better games (at least from my point of view).

Is Gas Dundershift drawing just lines? Or are you using polygons?

Zep--
Both. Polygons are used for enemies (to give them a silouette-like look)/walls and floors (to obstruct the view as well as avoiding overdraw)/certain details (e.g. fake lights), but they're usually used together with lines.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Both. Polygons are used for enemies (to give them a silouette-like look)/walls and floors (to obstruct the view as well as avoiding overdraw)/certain details (e.g. fake lights), but they're usually used together with lines.

You should be able to find polygons that share vertices and remove the 'shares'. Not sure if that would help your speed or not.

Not sure how you build your 'levels'.

You might have been better off to pre-compute your lines as I had suggested earlier (Like the old Wizardry's did.)

Zep--

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

You should be able to find polygons that share vertices and remove the 'shares'. Not sure if that would help your speed or not.

Not sure how you build your 'levels'.

You might have been better off to pre-compute your lines as I had suggested earlier (Like the old Wizardry's did.)

Zep--
I use simple cubes to represent walls and use a Quake-style editing tool to deal w/ floors and ceilings. Cubes are a reasonable choice, since they're easy (and faster from the editing perspective) to work with and mask doors on the minimap. As for floors and ceilings -- that depends on how complex they get. Polygons arent't a problem though -- they're fast to render and don't use too many triangles/vertices.
Fake lights are done using the same approach as lines (except they render a deformed quad), and they work pretty fast -- there aren't many of them in the first place and there are extra precautions to make sure they don't render when they don't have to.

About finding the polygons that share vertices -- a similar approach is already implemented for the lines and it works well, and keeping the amount of lines in a frame below a certain limit is the main challenge since you have to balance draw calls and the amount of lines in the frame, so it's not uncommon to have 2 or 4 line tiles attached to a cube.

As for the Wiz-style approach to rendering -- still figuring it out when I have time to play around.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Maybe he meant Doom Style...as Quake Levels were BSPs and didn't use line drawing at all.

Quake used additive BSPs (adding blocks to the world) while UnReal used subtractive (carving a level out of a massive infinite solid shape)....basically.

Zep--

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
What's this?
ProBuilder_SciFi_Greybox-early_drawcalls.jpg

It's not 100% similar to QERadiant/LithTech DirectEditor, but this little tool should've been available for Unity at the start.

Maybe he meant Doom Style...as Quake Levels were BSPs and didn't use line drawing at all.
Lines have nothing to do w/ it. Treat polygons as basic walls/floors/ceilings and lines as textures/detail objects.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I've been working on full screen mode and on settings. I'm still undecided about what normal maximum party size will be (something from 5 to 10) but ulitmately it's just a number and if you want to play with 14 characters it shouldn't be a problem.

What's this?

It's not 100% similar to QERadiant/LithTech DirectEditor, but this little tool should've been available for Unity at the start.
How well does it export stuff out of Unity? Manual seems to say something about .obj export, but that might mean material/texture information doesn't get exported at all, and you'd have to assign them again in some other program.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
What's this?

How well does it export stuff out of Unity? Manual seems to say something about .obj export, but that might mean material/texture information doesn't get exported at all, and you'd have to assign them again in some other program.
I don't care about material or texture information (my game doesn't use textures and there is only a handful of materials I ever use), so I never bothered to test that. There is a free version available, and it's going to be a part of the newer Unity versions so you might as well see for yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom