Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
ProphetSword if it works for you, it works ;) . In programming there's rarely an inherently wrong way of doing things, but it's often good to know why things actually work, so you can avoid shooting yourself in the foot later on ;) .

zwanzig_zwoelf I just got the demo and paid 2 eurobucks for it. Where's muh preorder dlc :D ?

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
shameless advertisment:
Contract work:
IVTms3R.png
tfVNNFn.png
CdfFF57.png

0XLvEGe.png
4XqBIKq.png
vZxtnTL.png

VOmrFBG.png
vF22JIJ.png
dwi0N9S.png

EaV5jFR.png
xgVCjUi.png
mi4fv6z.png

QoXuHEs.png

keFbMyq.png

R3zJKW7.png

test in the same style:
xZrVagu.png

Hire me, I need more shit for CV :negative:

Duckard

Augur
If I remember correctly, Update() runs every frame and FixedUpdate() runs every physics step. In this case it would be better to use a coroutine instead.

Or just do it the easy way and use InvokeRepeating to call something every n seconds.

Coroutines are pretty easy, more flexible, and will work with your editor's rename function.

private IEnumerator PrintText(string text, float interval)
{

for (int i = 0; i < text.Length; i++)
{

yield return new WaitForSeconds(interval);
PrintLetter(text, i
);
}
}
But tbh it doesn't matter if it's a one-off thing.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Unity just does not work well with a logical program flow from a programmers perspective (old skoll p-grammers at least). The thing I most hate about it.

Zep--

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
Too bad, getting this thing to run on older rigs would be quite an achievement especially when Unity turns that into an adventure in itself. Thanks for trying.
Could you try the tutorial demo and tell me if it gives you the same results?

While i dearly hate Unity, i downloaded the Demo v0.4.4p2 because i wanted to first help a fellow developer, then test it against one of the possibly shittier machines you may ever find, my celeron laptop running on Windows 10 with 2GB (i believe with all updates) and no way to increase RAM at all (i meant, by hardware means). So, i was wondering how the demo would fare against this crap. Keep in mind i usually play only 2D games since the laptop is *that* shitty. The exact specs are:

Edition: Windows 10 Home (v 1703)
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3050 @1.60HGz
Installed RAM 2,00 GB (1.84GB usable, plus 128 is for Intel HD, plus 1GB for Windows 10, so you get an idea)
System type: 64-bit

So my report. I tried my best to give you a "player" insight and not a "developer" one, despite my ithching.

* The introduction started almost immediately and i saw graphics. There were no black screens for me but
i do not know if this happens only on regular version and not on demo.
* The introduction is pretty long for my taste. Perhaps a shorter version with perhaps a longer box would work better.
Tired to hit space after a while.
* Entering in the game, i started moving al right and pretty fast. However, there was no FPS indicator to provide here.
* Played a while, then tried to quit but suspiciously ESC was not working. Later i realized that i had to kill myself to
quit the game; perhaps you can rework ESC to open the suicide menu?? it gives a meh feel when ESC does not work.
* Next second i ran the game again, i had to battle the long introduction again. I would had liked a "Skip >>" shortcut
button next to the introduction box in case you are watching it again.
* I find that WASD works a lot better in dungeon crawlers rather than WAXD. I do not like to use my thumb to go backward,
but this is just me.
* Map is not using fog of war. It feels like i am revisiting the place rather discovering it and i believe it removes a lot
of the atmosphere. In addition, doors not shown, especially the broken ones. It would be good to know where i have
been in this complex, especially since i spoted a teleportation, not sure.
* I spotted a long enough delay when i open a door by SPACE, since i cannot go forward immediately after opening;
i had to wait 1+ seconds. This leads to overuse the W button.
* Despite my efforts, i could not find an enemy after about 10 minutes of crawling. I felt alone in a complex of endless
doors, regardless of the notes. It looked to me there were more doors than necessary, at least in the start.

I hope you get something out of it. Cheers!

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Thanks for the feedback vlzvl.

The skip button is definitely the right suggestion, missed it while rushing the main flow of the demo, which is no excuse -- definitely begs for a small update for the demo. WASD is also under consideration since S key remains unused anyway, so that's literally investing half a minute from my side without the risk of backfiring.

As for the ESC key -- it's an alternative key to Backspace, which takes you to the previous menu. I'll think about the potential issues that may arise if I make it call the suicide confirmation screen if one presses it at the root.

Map was only designed to track the dead ends and the enemy movement if they're close to you -- it's more of a short-range radar. Doors were considered though -- don't really remember why I didn't add them, will look into it.

The delay is most likely due to the door opening animation not being finished at the moment, will probably speed it up if that's a big issue. Had a similar complaint about landmines but kept it as a low priority task.

Despite my efforts, i could not find an enemy after about 10 minutes of crawling. I felt alone in a complex of endless
doors, regardless of the notes. It looked to me there were more doors than necessary, at least in the start.
The first area can keep one wandering for a long time, especially with spinners. That's intentional, but overall it can take roughly a minute or two to get through to the second area from the very start if you know the right passage and don't get discouraged by spinners. Otherwise the area keeps fucking with you until you reach other parts of the level. One has to keep the intruders busy and keep wearing them down in order to protect their hideout. :smug:

I've taken notes, will take some time to work my way through the TODO list (gotta refactor the AI in the process since it got pretty messy), but I'll probably roll out another update once it's all tested and I'm fully satisfied with the changes.

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really hate how complex/time-consuming grid stuff is. It's definitely a step up from the old system, though. I've converted the overworld movement to an mp_grid system, which means the movement is now mouse-based again. Rather than one big city map, it's a series of separate areas that lead the player to the town exit, which means the old "time" variable is unnecessary. The challenge of creating a fun combat system remains, but for now it's more fun completing the game world/story.

Theseus meeting Periphetes in the area around Epidauros:

periphetes.jpg

shameless advertisment:
Contract work:
IVTms3R.png
tfVNNFn.png
CdfFF57.png

0XLvEGe.png
4XqBIKq.png
vZxtnTL.png

VOmrFBG.png
vF22JIJ.png
dwi0N9S.png

EaV5jFR.png
xgVCjUi.png
mi4fv6z.png

QoXuHEs.png

keFbMyq.png

R3zJKW7.png

test in the same style:
xZrVagu.png

Hire me, I need more shit for CV :negative:

Looks good. I am obviously in great need of an artist; sent you a message.

Last edited:

Duckard

Augur
Was away for a while so I had some time to think about high level design and the setting. Going with a simplified KoDP style strategic layer, combined with a meatier turn based tactics layer. You take charge of a small time commandery of holy warriors. You have to balance relations with the Crown and the Faith, but also find and kill all the dirty savages, putrescent heretics, and literal demons that are terrorizing the nation. Of course the short term goal is still a tiny demo to get feedback from the Codex.

Here are mockups/wireframes of a few screens. Not much to look at right now but I think it conveys the basic idea.

q38wyGk.png

But I'm not having fun with all the UI programming tbh... :(

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I really hate how complex/time-consuming grid stuff is. It's definitely a step up from the old system, though. I've converted the overworld movement to an mp_grid system, which means the movement is now mouse-based again. Rather than one big city map, it's a series of separate areas that lead the player to the town exit, which means the old "time" variable is unnecessary. The challenge of creating a fun combat system remains, but for now it's more fun completing the game world/story.

Theseus meeting Periphetes in the area around Epidauros:

periphetes.jpg

Awesome work. So, you really get to see his "club"? :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Shameless spamming of the updated version.
This update is final for the demo. Gotta focus on the full game again. Have fun!

ITZ OUT
DOWNLOADING NAO

Changelog:
Additions:
-- Added "move back" function to the S and Numpad 5 key. The functionality of X/Numpad 2 remains, though.
-- Doors are shown on the minimap now to make escape routes easier to plan.
-- Added a menu to the death screen which allows you to load a savegame, restart the current map/chapter or quit the game.
-- Savepoints are now used while loading the game or restarting a chapter.
-- Added more details to the Tunnels level.
Changes:
-- Notification about unapplied armor upgrades has been added to the status report.
-- Hitting the wall by accident no longer ends the turn.
-- Reloading with a full mag no longer wastes the mag and results in an end of the turn.
-- UI tweak: UNIT SETUP > WEAPON MENU > RELOAD now reloads the currently equipped weapon.
-- ESC key can be used to skip the text faster.
-- Certain strings have been slightly modified.
-- Certain upgrades are applied upon pickup now to reduce backtracking.
-- The color of doors has been changed to make them easier to see on the minimap.
-- Balance has been revised.
Fixes:
-- Fixed an oversight where bazooka attack sound would play twice.
-- Fixed a crash which would occur if the player saved at certain spots and loaded the game from another level.
-- Fixed improper loading of player save data if the player was located in a different level.
-- Fixed feedback effect from ramming appearing at wrong times.
-- Fixed the UI not refreshing upon applying soft upgrades.
-- Fix to a minor issue where the enemy would turn towards the next waypoint from their expected new position even if their current position hasn't changed due to obstacles/other reasons.
-- Enemy AI has been refactored.
-- Minor code optimizations.

Links:
https://surt-r.itch.io/das-geisterschiff
http://www.indiedb.com/games/das-geisterschiff/downloads/das-geisterschiff-demo-v044p3
https://gamejolt.com/games/das-geisterschiff/299106

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Awesome work. So, you really get to see his "club"? :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

No... I'm going to take that part out because I can't find an ancient source for it.

Basically, there is a popular, modern account of the story that has Theseus tricking Periphetes/Corynetes into handing over his club, whereupon Theseus hits him on the head with it. So far I have been unable to locate that story in an ancient text. I will look a little longer, but at this point I'm going to say that it needs to be changed. I will replace it with some other options that are more rooted in the primary source material.

Bottom line is, if you want his club then you have to kill him first.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
For anyone has time and is interested, starts in 20 hours: https://itch.io/jam/lartus-mini-rpg-one-week-jam

BcHpLc.png

Welcome to Lartu's Mini-RPG One Week Jam, the jam where we spend one week writing tiny RPGs!

The rules are simple and it's up to you to interpret them in any way you want, there are no wrong answers! You have one week, from March 3 to March 10, to write a role-playing game abiding by the following guidelines:
  1. The player must be able to control a character across a map, be it the hero, a monster or anything else.
  2. There has to be some kind of activity that allows for character progression, be it slaying monsters, brewing potions or reading books.
  3. The player must be able to obtain items throughout the game, so your game should have some sort of inventory mechanics or something on that line.
There are no rules regarding engines, programming languages, graphical or audio resources. All you have to do is make a game, in any way you like. Also, can I...? Yes, you can. Abide by the above rules in any way that you find compelling; after all, the main point of the jam is just making a game. But what if I haven't finished my game by the end of the week? Can I submit a demo or an unfinished project? If your project is playable and you feel like submitting it, it is more than welcome!

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
If anyone cares/remembers, I'm delaying any work on my RPG until July. But I still hope to have it complete by the end of 2018.
Gonna focus on my studies and write my shitty book for 20 minutes a day: should have my first short novel done by July as well.

Lexx

Cipher
Just saw it on moddb and thought "what the hell? Like 8 years later a new video?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom