Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
My plan is to make it extremely modable with simple text files.

why not just using XML and deal with layers the easy way?

Because XML is hipster web 2.0 bullshit.

THIS IS OLD SKOOL, MAN!

Zep--
Wouldn't TRUE OLD SKOOL would be about using BITS to set the collision while using BYTES to set the tiles and then having another file with a structure like X Y OBJECT TYPE OBJECT ID?
Text? Pfft, what is that, a school project?

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
My plan is to make it extremely modable with simple text files.

why not just using XML and deal with layers the easy way?

Because XML is hipster web 2.0 bullshit.

THIS IS OLD SKOOL, MAN!

Zep--
Wouldn't TRUE OLD SKOOL would be about using BITS to set the collision while using BYTES to set the tiles and then having another file with a structure like X Y OBJECT TYPE OBJECT ID?
Text? Pfft, what is that, a school project?

Pfft! Obviously, it's coded in ONES and ZEROES!

You hipsters....smh.

Zep--

Duckard

Augur
Yeah, why even bother with a map editor? Simply use a grayscale image to create each level, which every pixel representing a tile. Then you can do all your level design in MS Paint! What's that? You need more than one layer? Sounds an awful lot like scope creep to me, but go ahead and use a GIF with each frame representing a layer.

The best part is you need a manual to tell what anything is because everything is a pixel of arbitrary brightness. Even creating the maps will feel like playing a roguelike!

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Still working on the manual...next friday.

Since the "thing" works wide open now (no fps lock at the moment), I'm coding in the timer based movement now before I get too far ahead of myself. That way I'll know how many cycles I'll have left when I start into coding the game proper.

Zep--

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Maps are text files with such fantasical stuff as , walls, doors, and floors (for now).

w=wall
.=floor
D= (locked door) or d openable door so like
wwww

first line of map file is it dimension
15,15 (or 20,30) or whatever. So a simple map would be...

wwww
w..w
w..w
wwww
challenge yourself by designing maps for this in a non-monospaced texteditor :positive:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Since the "thing" works wide open now (no fps lock at the moment), I'm coding in the timer based movement now before I get too far ahead of myself. That way I'll know how many cycles I'll have left when I start into coding the game proper.

LOL...after messing with it and adding it in...realized I'm not writing an FPS...only need the timer on the turning code and the move forward/backward movement (and other things down the line of course), not every stinking frame. (too much fps engine coding in the past I guess)

Wondered why my free cycles weren't increasing with the timer added...

Live and learn...

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
LOL...after messing with it and adding it in...realized I'm not writing an FPS...only need the timer on the turning code and the move forward/backward movement (and other things down the line of course), not every stinking frame. (too much fps engine coding in the past I guess)

Wondered why my free cycles weren't increasing with the timer added...

Live and learn...

Zep--

So,what I discovered is, I uncoupled the movement code from the display code. So displaying stuff runs full bore while the movement stuff is locked at 60 fps currently.

Pretty neat...I need every clock tick I can "save on/squeeze out of" this old laptop.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Got the "bump" stuff in..a little visible "shake" when you hit a wall and try to continue the same direction, along with a sound.

Trying to think of a creative way to add a "fog of war" type thing that disappears as you move throughout the level n 3D.

After brainstorming with the team (me and beer), I've decided to test a crazy idea!

In theory, the idea seems great!

We'll see how the actuality goes...

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Also disabled texture smoothing...don't know which one I like better yet.

Zep--

Mustawd

start ur own thread old man. I dont now wtf you're talking about, but I enjoy reading it.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
start ur own thread old man. I dont now wtf you're talking about, but I enjoy reading it.

Texture Smoothing
tex smooth.PNG

Texture No Smoothing
tex no smooth.PNG

Zep--

Mustawd

I like the top one actually. Both the walls and the ground having so much detail is kinda distracting to the eye.

EDIT: Wait, is that what you were going for?

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Another option would be to add dds textures (level of detail textures) that get increasingly less detailed the farther a textured object is away from the camera.

But I have no texture artist...so it is between the other 2 options. smooth or no smooth.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
I like the top one actually. Both the walls and the ground having so much detail is kinda distracting to the eye.

I'm not going for anything at the moment, just weighing my options.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer

Zep--

I could actually just add a toggle and let the user decide which version they like.

Zep--

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Zep--

I could actually just add a toggle and let the user decide which version they like.

Zep--
That would be the best option. I enjoy lack of texture filtering if the gfx were designed without filtering in mind.
Just seeing how people play Doom/Quake with smudged textures makes me cringe.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer

When everything is a little farther along, I will do that (start a thread).

It is really just in the concept stage right now as I test the engine.

Zep--

Mustawd

well if I had a preference I'd say the farther away the less detailed the textures..ofc as you got closer they'd become more detailed. Basically, how'd you'd expect IRL.

EDIT: But yah. I get it. Prelim, etc.

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
...the problem with no filtering at all (nearest point filtering) leads to performance issues, since the texture is always rendered at its original size.
The weird pixelization is caused because i imagine the original image is too detailed, as well the grass texture.
This is actual mip mapping.
I do not know your API but i think you are using *trilinear* filtering in Option 1 and that washes up your graphics with mipmapping.
I would also use Option 2 but i would applied at least *nearest* mipmapping to loaded textures (loading time; no toggling) instead of completely disabling mipmapping.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
...the problem with no filtering at all (nearest point filtering) leads to performance issues, since the texture is always rendered at its original size.
The weird pixelization is caused because i imagine the original image is too detailed, as well the grass texture.
This is actual mip mapping.
I do not know your API but i think you are using *trilinear* filtering in Option 1 and that washes up your graphics with mipmapping.
I would also use Option 2 but i would applied at least *nearest* mipmapping to loaded textures (loading time; no toggling) instead of completely disabling mipmapping.

They are just 2 test textures I downloaded, just to get the objects textured instead of looking at the white primitives.

When I get further along, I'll look for some proper textures.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
So where's a non-artist go for free textured models? I want to replace these primitive cubes with walls and floors. Outside (ground) and inside (dungeon).

I think I can only load .X or .3DS (not .MAX)

Zep--

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
So where's a non-artist go for free textured models? I want to replace these primitive cubes with walls and floors. Outside (ground) and inside (dungeon).

Zep--
You could try generating some simple or more or less abstract stuff using .werkkzeug4. Community Edition features a small tutorial with some examples: http://werkkzeug4ce.blogspot.com/
Although it needs a shitton of memory if you want to go for high-poly meshes and hi-res textures.

Still, it's a very good tool for non-artists.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer

Zep--
You could try generating some simple or more or less abstract stuff using .werkkzeug4. Community Edition features a small tutorial with some examples: http://werkkzeug4ce.blogspot.com/
Although it needs a shitton of memory if you want to go for high-poly meshes and hi-res textures.

Still, it's a very good tool for non-artists.

Windows XP...not an artist...but mainly Windows XP (768mb)

Anyway, I downloaded probably 1000+ models from various sites, writing a model viewer now to check them out.

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom