Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Here's my first attempt at the Fog Of War shader. I think it looks alright as it is, but any criticism/suggestions is always welcome.

I would suggest darkening it further, maybe adding a transparent texture, like clouds or fog or something that you could give a subtle animation to.

Hey Prosper

So I've been meaning to ask. Who is Prosper? I get that it's kind of a Codex inside joke for bad artwork. So I guess Prosper must be famous for his bad art?

Edit: I literally just now noticed that Aiff((AimpliesA)ImpliesA) has the tag "Artist Formerly Known as Prosper." So, um, sorry about calling your art bad.

Edit #2: Is Prosper responsible for the "hopw roewur ne" rating you can give to a post? Is there a story behind that?

Last edited:

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
OK, what I actually came to post about today is this:

HS_NewWorldMapWaterfalls.jpg

I wasn't satisfied with the world map I had previously. It was too big, took too long to load, and it's the first world level the player encounters and it didn't have any direction or flow to it. It was a little too open for the first level. So I started working on a different level for the player to start in. It still needs trees, landmarks, baked lighting, and adjustments to the grid. But I think in the end this is going to be a much better map.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's my first attempt at the Fog Of War shader. I think it looks alright as it is, but any criticism/suggestions is always welcome.

I would suggest darkening it further, maybe adding a transparent texture, like clouds or fog or something that you could give a subtle animation to.

Hey Prosper

So I've been meaning to ask. Who is Prosper? I get that it's kind of a Codex inside joke for bad artwork. So I guess Prosper must be famous for his bad art?

Edit: I literally just now noticed that Aiff((AimpliesA)ImpliesA) has the tag "Artist Formerly Known as Prosper." So, um, sorry about calling your art bad.

Edit #2: Is Prosper responsible for the "hopw roewur ne" rating you can give to a post? Is there a story behind that?
All your questions are answered in prosperland.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Beware Wayward Son , for you might not like what you will find...

8qzDdhf.png

The shader does support textures already (no animation though), although I thought it looks cleaner with a solid colour. I guess I'll put that somewhere in the config for the player to tweak.

Z6b544p.png

And while we're at it, another screenie, this time it showcases the borders system.

9IIn192.png

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
ERYFKRAD I checked out the Prosper forum yesterday. I feel like a Cthulhu investigator, who is now compelled to pull on the thread that he knows will unravel his sanity.

barker_s Maybe that's too dark or maybe it's too contrasty next to the white clouds. Oh well. Just ignore me and do whatever you think looks good.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Anyone else remember playing Final Fantasy Tactics, and either giving a ninja the equip guns skill or giving an orator the dual wield skill? I was pretty disappointed that I couldn't send my dudes to battle John-Woo style. I aim to correct that.
HS_GunScreenshots.jpg

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Men, BE CAREFUL with your GLOBAL VARIABLES.

I just spent several hours tracking down a logic bug because of one.

Used it as a temp variable in some sub-routine at first...unfortunately, I also used it in an event that was triggered by changes...

I'm dumb.

I've had my DAILY WTF moment for today and learned my lesson.

Zep--

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Men, BE CAREFUL with your GLOBAL VARIABLES.

I just spent several hours tracking down a logic bug because of one.

Used it as a temp variable in some sub-routine at first...unfortunately, I also used it in an event that was triggered by changes...

I'm dumb.

Yeah, BUT- coding "properly" is boring. This way is more fun, it's like having a bipolar girlfriend and spending half each day untangling her mood swiNO CARRIER

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
This is me when I try to do game development:
4512603.jpg

RPGs seem pretty simple. It's all the writing that takes time, and then you have to implement it and juggle the variables so it all fits together.

Simpler if you use RPGMaker, maybe...
And that's only if you want a JRPG. Getting a CRPG in there, forget it. I never could even get party member switching mechanics into the game. Haven't used MV yet tho.

Viata

Arcane
Hey guys, what is the name of the algorithm or method(so I can search) to make my characters do the "least" move to get from point A to point B? Also, during a battle turn, is there an algorithm to help me make the enemies move smart so they do go after my enemies in their turn?
I don't feel like reinvent the wheel so if anyone knows, thanks.

ragnor

Educated
Here is an extensive amount of information about pathfinding http://theory.stanford.edu/~amitp/GameProgramming/

This webpage is a goldmine for crpg (especially for beginners) developers. There are lots of tutorials and articles on things like tilemaps and hexmaps, different pathfinding algortihms, line of sight algortihms and rpg damage probablilities etc.

Edit: i forgot to put its new main page link http://www.redblobgames.com/

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
This webpage is a goldmine...

Totally agreed. I would even say that if you're into indie gamedev and haven't come across Amit Patel's website, you're doing something wrong. This guy is cited/linked pretty much everywhere.

Those houses look like they are straight from the old Carcassonne.:incline:

Yeah, these tiles certainly do have a bordgame'y feel. I bought them on the asset store basically for peanuts. I did link them a few pages back, but here it is again if anyone wants to check it out.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
I've learned a lot about color grading in the last few months. We're now able to change the color lookup table based on time of day, which gives us much better control over how the game looks at different times.

HS_ColorGrading_Sunset.jpg

Here is a sample sunset screenshot. It has super fast preview lighting, which results in blobby shadows and artifacts, but the color is more or less correct.

Edit: Also, the more I look at that, the more certain I am that the player character is not picking up the world lighting settings. Her white shirt should be pink or purple here. I need to figure out what's going wrong. :(

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Could it be that the character's contrast is too high to catch the colorization in the same way as the environment?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom