Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Codex Starcraft 1 Tourney, Now Starting

Dayyālu

Arcane
What did you have in mind for the map pool?

On that, I'm open to suggestions. If it's not clear, I am a scrub.

Plus Kalin will keep bitching if I don't put some thought on maps.

Eadee

Scholar
CEST. That's UTS +2

But I won't be able to play during the day 9pm-3am would be the best time window for me.

Also... Lost Temple is kind of a no brainer isn't it?

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
my time schedule is too varied to sign up for something other than a one day/evening thing, one-off 3v3, 4v4 or w/e. I'm out.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
UTC -8 here. Anything between 4pm and midnight should be a safe bet, might be able to play outside that depending on the day, my schedule is pretty erratic.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
GMT+1 here, evenings/weekends work best. We could just let the players decide which settings/map they want to play.

Each fight could be a best of three like in the old OpenRA tournament.

Parabalus

Arcane
The easiest might be to pair just people together and let them schedule between themselves with results due in an fixed time frame.

Since the Kodex covers the globe putting together an absolute calendar seems like a nightmare.

UTC -5. Assuming that our games aren't in danger of becoming multi-hour events I can start from 5pm to 11pm. Weekends are almost 100% open at any reasonable time so long as you notify me a few days ahead of time.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
i think america/europe/etc should play sepratly with eachother, setting up so many ppl to play at once in diffrent time zones might be a bit too difficult imo

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Don't think I want to play scheduled games. I'll just do what zed does.
Too much starcraft is bad for your health anyway.

atwork-vs-starcraft.jpg

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Jesus Kalin did you tag everybody who posted in the SCHD thread :lol:

Sadly I live in China so I get massive lags whenever I try to play anyone who isn't a Korean. Think I'll pass.
What did you have in mind for the map pool?

On that, I'm open to suggestions. If it's not clear, I am a scrub.

Plus Kalin will keep bitching if I don't put some thought on maps.
Luna, Requiem and Bifrost for maximum oldfag points.:troll:

Alternatively just use Fighting Spirit.

Johannes

Arcane
I've organised RTS tourneys in the past, it was always a 1 evening event though which makes organization simple.

Single elimination or double elimination is prob the best imo. Keeps it straightforward. But depends on your goal, if you want to maximize the number of games / opponents for everyone then you want some kind of round robin or whatevers it called first. Ofc the more games everyone has, the more it's a hassle to organize.

And I don't see any point in having a deadline for signing up before you even know the format, that's just petty and/or retarded. The player count does not meaningfully change the formats available.

Can make brackets easily with
http://challonge.com/

Thanks for the site. Deadline is for me to keep things organized and I don't care if you don't like it. I think it's borderline impossible to make this a single evening event considering the amount of people and the timezones. I'd prefer to go World-cup style, with groups of players "round-robin" (chosen both randomly and with an eye to time zones) and then direct elimination brackets. But whatever, everything that works. Let' see the sign-ups.
You don't need to care about my opinion but you should mind if you're doing things in an ass backwards way (fact not opinion).

In my experience the rational process is to first make all the rules - which maps are played when, on what schedule must the matches at various stages be played by, what happens when someone fails to schedule / show up for some or all of their matches, how you arrange the brackets. You can be sure there'll be dropouts in a casul tourney like this.

When you have the rules set, announce when you will make the brackets and people can start playing their matches. Closing the sign ups before you have the brackets and rules won't make your job easier.

Jazz_

Arcane
Does anyone play this thing in windowed mode? How do you do it? I tried chaoslauncher but it gives me a bunch of weird errors and crashes shortly after.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Does anyone play this thing in windowed mode? How do you do it? I tried chaoslauncher but it gives me a bunch of weird errors and crashes shortly after.
Download it from blizzard. It is free now and supports new windows and everything.

Dayyālu

Arcane
In my experience the rational process is to first make all the rules - which maps are played when, on what schedule must the matches at various stages be played by, what happens when someone fails to schedule / show up for some or all of their matches, how you arrange the brackets. You can be sure there'll be dropouts in a casul tourney like this.

When you have the rules set, announce when you will make the brackets and people can start playing their matches. Closing the sign ups before you have the brackets and rules won't make your job easier.

In my experience with the former OpenRA tourney all kind of organization proved utterly pointless as people merely forgot how what do to or simply didn't care. As you probably care more than me about organizing properly (proved by the fact you are giving counsel on the subject) would you prefer to take the reins as organizer?

I'm not taunting, it's a honest request. I don't care about this enough to be bothered not to go full improvisation, after all. Then you can ignore all the random deadlines I gave to myself and be professional. :lol::lol::lol:

Well, from the list

Maggot

VladimirK

Confirm or deny, and in the case gimme your timezone. About maps, more I read about them less I understand.

From the signups we have my guess is that we'll have 2-3 groups of Euros and a "rest of the world plus flexible Euros".

Sadly I live in China so I get massive lags whenever I try to play anyone who isn't a Korean. Think I'll pass.

We do have Singapore and East Coast, lag is still terrible? But your call.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Last time I played SC 1 was on Junior high like 10 years ago?

I really want to join but I live in sub-disctrict with 500 kbps internet. So :negative:

For easier matchmaking I suggest making a google spreadsheet to organize who are available at what time. Interested parties that want to join can just put their codex ID on their timezones and perhaps their available day.

Johannes

Arcane
would you prefer to take the reins as organizer?
No.

Having a clear procedure just makes the organising less of a hassle for you. If the rules you lay out are unclear or nonsensical ofc the players will misintepret, forget and break them. Ok, somebody will do that regardless but if you have a clear vision you won't have to improvise when that happens. If you had had a clear vision people could be playing games already instead of hemming and hawing about the how.

I can come up with a (hopefully) functional and easy to understand ruleset / procedure if you want (you can edit em as you see fit ofc), but I'm not interested in doing the actual organising which would take time.

I may play but I have to check whether it runs smoothly on my computer

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom