Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Codex Starcraft 1 Tourney, Now Starting

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
15 min no rush ok?

Parabalus

Arcane
I'd say we start with 3 point based matches for everyone. Then the (8? 4?) people with the most points get into a single elimination tourney.

A match being won by 2 out of 3 games? Or by a single win if both participants agree that they have not enough min... not enough time for three games.

Does that sound acceptable?

IMO the first thing done should be a registration deadline, then decide on the format+schedule after knowing the final number of participants.

Dayyālu

Arcane
IMO the first thing done should be a registration deadline, then decide on the format+schedule after knowing the final number of participants.

This man knows what to do. I'll consider all suggestions though for how to organize the thing, Codexers are a tad erratic in their play times. I can't play on evenings and most nights, for example.

Ah, why the fuck not. My last experience with Bnet and BW was somebody typing "WTF you doing teal*" in some 4v4 in reaction to my awesome BW skills.

Just schedule matches between 20:00 to 22:00 potato time (CET) and give me a few days heads up and a right to re-schedule. Next week should be ok, but the week after that might be hectic.

Welcome aboard.

In. D- represent.

I find your avatar unnerving. Welcome!

15 min no rush ok?

Is that supposed to mean something? I'll interpret it as "I'll join" because I want to. Welcome.

I can play around early morning GMT Fridays. 0000-0300

Hnnnn. Limited, but we can work on that. Happy to see ya, though.

Yeah, I'll play.

I'm shit though, like, really really shit. You guys cool with that?

You have no idea how shit I am. And Kalin manages to lose to me.

Deadline will be SUNDAY 21\05 (CET). I'll then get up on Sunday morning and organize the thing properly.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
15 min no rush means no rushing each other until 15 min time is up.
It's a code of honor for aspiring starcraft commanders back in the day.
Since you all seem too elite for that I'm afraid I have to decline.

Dayyālu

Arcane

If your opponents want you can even play dressed as a maid with a Thai whore massaging you, for all I care. So ask what you want from your opponent. No guarantees.

And join in, you Chinese fuck. Do you want to beat Kalin or not? We're all shitty noobs (arguably).

Parabalus

Arcane

4pool4life

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
maybe we could practice game a 4v4 or something... god dammit OP decide some shit and set some dates.

Johannes

Arcane
I've organised RTS tourneys in the past, it was always a 1 evening event though which makes organization simple.

Single elimination or double elimination is prob the best imo. Keeps it straightforward. But depends on your goal, if you want to maximize the number of games / opponents for everyone then you want some kind of round robin or whatevers it called first. Ofc the more games everyone has, the more it's a hassle to organize.

And I don't see any point in having a deadline for signing up before you even know the format, that's just petty and/or retarded. The player count does not meaningfully change the formats available.

Can make brackets easily with
http://challonge.com/

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Knowing the format first is important. You don't want to end up with a round robin with 30 people or a single elimination with 4.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't remember ever winning a multiplayer RTS match in my whole life, so I pass on this one.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I've organised RTS tourneys in the past, it was always a 1 evening event though which makes organization simple.

Single elimination or double elimination is prob the best imo. Keeps it straightforward. But depends on your goal, if you want to maximize the number of games / opponents for everyone then you want some kind of round robin or whatevers it called first. Ofc the more games everyone has, the more it's a hassle to organize.

And I don't see any point in having a deadline for signing up before you even know the format, that's just petty and/or retarded. The player count does not meaningfully change the formats available.

Can make brackets easily with
http://challonge.com/

Thanks for the site. Deadline is for me to keep things organized and I don't care if you don't like it. I think it's borderline impossible to make this a single evening event considering the amount of people and the timezones. I'd prefer to go World-cup style, with groups of players "round-robin" (chosen both randomly and with an eye to time zones) and then direct elimination brackets. But whatever, everything that works. Let' see the sign-ups.

Zed

Parabalus

Kalin

sqeecoo

Maggot

Damned Registrations

Jazz_

Eadee

Average Manatee

Hellraiser

Dayyālu

Arcane
VladimirK

alkeides 2.0

MediantSamuel

RK47

Quatlo

Sixteen people. So, for sanity's sake, everyone still interested should send me a PM (or post here) with their timezone and when they can play. I will then organize the first brackets, and we'll go round robin for the first matches.

ypN73DQ.jpg

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
I'm in , UTC+2. No hard preference on match time and date as long as it's know enough in advance and not utterly ridic.

Who knows. If we keep the numbers up at 15-16 we can even get two "winners" par group getting to the elimination phase, so you'll have a chance.

You could even set up the tournament as double elim. with a loser's bracket, so people who stumble upon RK47 early still have a chance for fun, ie. in Ro16 last two in groups go into loser's quarters.

What did you have in mind for the map pool?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom