Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Codex Scoop: OtherSide Entertainment to develop System Shock 3

Nines

Learned
And thanks to modders, Doom 3 looks incredible, especially for its age.

Zeriel

Arcane
There are a few beautiful games on Unity, but they're usually glitchy, packed with bugs and have draconian requirements.
Not sure what's the problem though. If some noname guys were able to make this on UE3, I expect no less from those, who's touching one the most iconic game series.

Yeah, I feel like a lot of people still haven't processed that Unreal is now basically free. In an era in which even Iron Tower Studios can afford Unreal, using Unity is just a fucking disaster zone of a choice.

Shin

Cipher
Yeah, I feel like a lot of people still haven't processed that Unreal is now basically free. In an era in which even Iron Tower Studios can afford Unreal, using Unity is just a fucking disaster zone of a choice.

Switching from Unity to Unreal is easier said than done though, especially since a lot of small-time dev studios got some experience working with the former. UE4's tools are powerful but as far as I could tell it's workflow is pretty different, and the coding thing is entirely different (c# in unity vs c++ in ue4, plus ue4 uses some kind of visual scripting language as well). On the other hand, as a non-programmer I could build very pretty things in UE4 very quickly to a level I never got to approach in Unity. But my programmer buddy is a Java/C# guy with experience with Unity, so...

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I do hope they succeed and manage to create a true to its roots sequel, but I'm not going to start waving any flags before I see where they are going with this.

Nines

Learned
There are a few beautiful games on Unity, but they're usually glitchy, packed with bugs and have draconian requirements.
Not sure what's the problem though. If some noname guys were able to make this on UE3, I expect no less from those, who's touching one the most iconic game series.

I assume Unity is easier to work with, especially if you don't have programming skills. After all, it's Unity we should thank for the endless flow of browny mass of half-assed survival games.

Zeriel

Arcane

I assume Unity is easier to work with, especially if you don't have programming skills. After all, it's Unity we should thank for the endless flow of browny mass of half-assed survival games.

Yes, but "it was easier to make something shitty lol" isn't the sort of statement that makes customers want to buy your game. Look, if developers could push out games that miraculously ran well on Unity I wouldn't give half a shit about the engine, but when every game that comes out on it is a pile of trash performance wise while they have free alternatives, I feel absolutely no shame in telling developers to go fuck themselves if they continue to opt for the inferior option.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Night Dive did publish a game inspired by System Shock, before they had the rights to System Shock, called 'Spirits of Xanadu', which is supposed to be very good.

Nines

Learned

Yes, but "it was easier to make something shitty lol" isn't the sort of statement that makes customers want to buy your game. Look, if developers could push out games that miraculously ran well on Unity I wouldn't give half a shit about the engine, but when every game that comes out on it is a pile of trash performance wise while they have free alternatives, I feel absolutely no shame in telling developers to go fuck themselves if they continue to opt for the inferior option.
Well, Unity 5 is suppose to be better, but not many games use it, and most of them haven't come out yet.

Btw, really like this video:

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Haha, oh boy.
Please rate your interest in virtual reality gaming

ABSOLUTELY HARAM.

How I'm feeling after seeing that in their SS3 survey:

n0ffbN8.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Get used to it, these Looking Glass guys love talking about their gadgets.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Ironically, the original System Shock had support for vr gear, for the primitive stuff they had back in the 90s, like the vfx-1. It was a similar situation to what we have now: vr was the cool new tech, everybody thought that it was going to be the future of gaming. I remember seeing vfx-1 demo setups in computer shops, etc. Then it just sort of fizzled out. Of course, this time it might be different, we'll see. But I think even the devs would agree that it was a waste of time/resources implementing it in the first game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ironically, the original System Shock had support for vr gear, for the primitive stuff they had back in the 90s, like the vfx-1. It was a similar situation to what we have now: vr was the cool new tech, everybody thought that it was going to be the future of gaming. I remember seeing vfx-1 demo setups in computer shops, etc. Then it just sort of fizzled out. Of course, this time it might be different, we'll see. But I think even the devs would agree that it was a waste of time/resources implementing it in the first game.

Ah yes, the little-remembered 90s VR craze. In another interesting concidence, a few years back, I found about a VR Autoduel game that was never made.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I just hope they won't pull a Tim Schafer on us

Using the SS3 Kickstarter money to fund the Underworld game :smug:

vealck

Novice
I never asked for this...
Wait, wrong franchise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom