Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Codex Scoop: OtherSide Entertainment to develop System Shock 3

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: OtherSide Entertainment; System Shock 3

Last month, Larry Kuperman of Night Dive Studios, the outfit responsible for rereleasing the System Shock series and numerous other out-of-print games on modern digital distribution platforms, hinted in an interview that they were looking into producing a System Shock sequel at some point. I didn't think much of it at the time, especially since Night Dive seemed to have their hands full with their System Shock 1 remake. It was notable, however, that the remake was making use of the talents of Robb Waters, an ex-Looking Glass concept artist who is also working with OtherSide Entertainment on Underworld Ascendant.

Yesterday, in their latest bi-weekly Underworld Ascendant update, OtherSide revealed the existence of a website with the rather self-explanatory URL OtherSideTease.com. The website showed a six day countdown, and a flickering 'S', which was soon joined by another 'S'. We all knew what was coming at that point, and elite Codex news hound LESS T_T looked into the website's source code and confirmed it. Yes, System Shock 3 is happening!

So what does this mean in the short term? I'm certain that OtherSide aren't big enough to start working on this before Underworld is done, but will they bring it to Kickstarter? Or to Fig, perhaps? I doubt they even have the time to do that, but maybe the Night Dive Studios guys could help them on that front. Hopefully we'll learn the answers to these questions when the countdown is over.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not really hyped. Otherside entertainment have to prove themselves with Underworld Ascendant first. At least it's not done by 2K Games
Vt9D4cO.gif

norolim

Arcane
So much good stuff has recently been happening in our RPG world. Not everything turns out to be as good as initially portrayed, but still, even if only 20% of all the projects produce satisfactory results, we still end up with much more games to play than during the whole previous decade (and in my case at least, much more than we can find time to play).

FAKE EDIT: bros, sorry for that filthy expression of optimism there. It was uncalled for. I should know better.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Love how these sites one after the other say it was found out by the member of cRPG Codex forum and then they give the same link which leads to some post in the middle of the first page, not the OP with an image. They didn't even click in the link, they repost.....

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
I'm not really hyped. Otherside entertainment have to prove themselves with Underworld Ascendant first. At least it's not done by 2K Games
Vt9D4cO.gif

Exactly. If UA is :incline: , then the hype will pick up pretty quickly.

Edit: And as someone who really enjoyed SS2, I'm hoping for a massive return for the franchise and there have been some positive signs (i.e. the list of persons involved in the SS3 project), but I'm keeping my pants on for now.

Last edited:

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
Yeah. Nothing gets the Codex hyped like an FPS with some mild RPG elements.

In our wildest fantasies, seeing how SS1 didn't contain basically any RPG elements, but SS2 already at least some, we can always imagine SS3 going even more RPG, thus doing the opposite of what happened to Fallout.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Yeah. Nothing gets the Codex hyped like an FPS with some mild RPG elements.

In our wildest fantasies, seeing how SS1 didn't contain basically any RPG elements, but SS2 already at least some, we can always imagine SS3 going even more RPG, thus doing the opposite of what happened to Fallout.

That would be incline, yes. Hope they are reading this and taking notes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom