Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Codex Scoop: inXile to develop Autoduel car RPG at new New Orleans studio?

likaq

Arcane
The game is set in a hypothetical future in the Northeast U.S., where cars are a primary means of protection and defense, and the highways are dangerous stretches of land ruled by gangs and vigilantes with armed vehicles.

The player creates a character, naming them and distributing 50 points between three skills: driving, marksmanship and mechanic. The player's character starts in New York, Friday 1-1-2030. Without a car the player has to enter amateur night in which they are provided a vehicle in order to raise enough money to buy and equip their own vehicle. With their own vehicle, a character can begin performing courier missions between the various towns along the Atlantic seaboard—including Syracuse, Boston, Manchester(Origin's headquarters at the time, which could be visited in the game) and Atlantic City among a few. The character may also enter more distinguished Arena events to earn money as well as take to the highways to fight the other cars and salvage their parts. In this sense, the game was very open-ended in what the player could do. The game also had a storyline, involving certain critical courier tasks, such as carrying important criminal evidence against "Mr. Big", through the dangerous terrain between cities.

The main feature of the game was combat involving customized vehicles. The vehicle construction portion of the game allowed a variety of power plants, guns, ammunition, mine-layers, smokescreens, oil slicks and rockets to be arranged onto an even larger selection of body and chassis types.

The game was developed using a top-down perspective and featured two distinct setting areas: the arena or highway style area and the city area. The highway and arenas allowed acceleration and driving skills to be used in a scrolling screen format, while the city area was a single screen in which stores and other attractions of a city could be visited.

scifi crpg?

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Athelas

Arcane
Here's to countless fruitless debates about whether the guy in the driver's seat has stats and whether it's really an RPG. :martini:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
THE PLOT THICKENS! Back in 2013, a Kickstarter that failed: http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/16/david-jaffe-consulting-on-autoduel-multiplayer-car-combat-game/

David Jaffe consulting on Autoduel, multiplayer car combat game coming to Kickstarter

Noted Twisted Metal and God of War designer David Jaffe has signed on with Pixelbionic, a new independent games studio formed in southern California late last year. Jaffe will take a creative advisory role to aid in Pixelbionic's first game, Autoduel – an online vehicular combat game for the PC that will seek funding on Kickstarter sometime soon.

On the advisory board, Jaffe is joined by Zack Norman, the creator of Interstate '76, and Chanel Summers, a sound expert who helped design the audio systems of the Xbox hardware. There isn't much detail in the press release past the break about Autoduelitself, other than it's a team-based affair set in the post-apocalypse (of course) with "RPG-influenced persistence and progression gameplay."

Pixelbionic was founded by Maxx Kaufman – a founding member of inXile Entertainment with a long list of games to his name such as The Bard's Tale, Return to Castle Wolfensteinand the Redneck Rampage series – and Mike Arkin, who served as producer for many studios, including a stint at Fox Interactive where he helped on Die Hard Trilogy, ID4 andAliens vs. Predator.

Is Jaffe going to be involved with this? Is this going to be an attempt to relaunch that game or a completely different thing using the same title?

This is the failed 2013 Autoduel Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1517270521/motorgun-return-of-the-auto-duel

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It would look terrible if he didn't launch it on Fig, unless there's another inXile Figstarter in the works that could launch before Autoduel.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It could also launch on neither. If they suddenly have enough money to start a new studio, they might also have money to develop a game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Fargo confirmed as Bobby Jindal's first celebrity endorsement for 2016!

That's fine with me, as long as President Jindal institutes a federal grant for the development of old school RPGs.

Mustawd

It could also launch on neither. If they suddenly have enough money to start a new studio, they might also have money to develop a game.

Really, there's nothing that says he can't launch on both...not sure how good of an idea that'd be. But yeah, if he can't trust Fig enough to use as a platform after a W2 did well and TTON is around the corner, you're telling me it's good enough for other games?

himmy

Arcane
That's fine with me, as long as President Jindal institutes a federal grant for the development of old school RPGs.

Well, Bernie Sanders thinks that federal grants should be given to all RPG developers, not just the AAA developers, who make up 1% of companies, but control 90% of Steam sales! The US has the largest rate of indie developers living in poverty from within the developed countries!

Donald Trump thinks Spanish localization should be banned.

Mustawd

Ben Carson would not buy an RPG if it was developed according to Sharia law.

Shin

Cipher
I'd be pretty odd if he did a Kickstarter since they're the most direct competitor of this Fig platform. On the other hand, nobody outside the 'niche' RPG community has probably ever heard of Fig so I'm not sure if this non-RPG game (okay, action RPG) is a good match. But maybe they don't feel like getting thousands of 'shareholders' so there's a chance they'd rather launch it on Kickstarter themselves while getting revenues from other people using Fags.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom