Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Codex Scoop: Brian Fargo has trademarked cancelled time travel RPG Meantime...and also Van Buren?!

Ninjerk

Arcane
Seriously, though. Who?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
OK, we get it, you don't understand what science fiction is. :lol: It's OK, I already said it may not be for you.
Hard science fiction is the only science fiction to some people.

Darkzone

Arcane
You do realize that there's no really no scientific basis for time travel actually existing do you? It's really just a wish-fulfillment fantasy masquerading as science fiction. It's simply become considered science fiction because so many stories incorporate it as a plot element, but there hasn't ever been any real science behind it, and never will be.
While i myself will never accnowlage this possibility, due to the grandfather paradox. I have to say that there is a very good basis for this and some very serious and smart people with PhD in Physics think about it. Naturally most of the theories are on the basis of an Einstein-Rosen bridge or the Multiverse theory. Time Travel like Interstellar travel is one of the cores of what i call Si-fi.

Today after both finally crushing AngryJoe (this time for good) and being sourced all over the world RPGCodex went mainstream
So whats that referring to?
Out Steam curator page. We surpassed Angry "Fallout 3 KickAss" Joe and now rule supreme at #30 of the Top 30 Curators.

Yes and in every passing hour, our advantage grows. AJ and his minions tremble in fear witnessing our supremacy, being crushed by our might sole!

2r45xe0.jpg

Our next goal is to traumatize Russians so much, their will get rid of their vodka.
It's joke, nobody can traumatize Russians so much
:troll:

Viata

Arcane
Today after both finally crushing AngryJoe (this time for good) and being sourced all over the world RPGCodex went mainstream
So whats that referring to?
Out Steam curator page. We surpassed Angry "Fallout 3 KickAss" Joe and now rule supreme at #30 of the Top 30 Curators.

Yes and in every passing hour, our advantage grows. AJ and his minions tremble in fear witnessing our supremacy, being crushed by our might sole!

2r45xe0.jpg
The fact AngryJoe calls his steam curator Angry Army just show how he has never read about rpgcodex.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wouldn't be so sure about crushing him "for good" though; he's really got a whole army of fans to mobilize whenever he wants. We don't.

Still, it's pretty cool that we managed to get into Top 30 for the time being.

I wouldn't be so sure about crushing him "for good" though; he's really got a whole army of fans to mobilize whenever he wants. We don't.

Still, it's pretty cool that we managed to get into Top 30 for the time being.

Do you think he is capable of understanding how the best curators list works? Numbers are scary, duh!

But to be honest we possibly had used up most of our human resources to get to this point. We should throw everything we got now, and hope the more exposure can help us maintain our advantage.

Last edited:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Lol. You do realize that there's no really no scientific basis for time travel actually existing do you?
OK, we get it, you don't understand what science fiction is. :lol: It's OK, I already said it may not be for you.
Science fiction is generally fiction based around technologies and concepts that are hypothetically possible, at least in theory, but not currently existing. As opposed to fantasy which involves magic which is currently believed to be impossible. Semantics, but that's generally the division.

After some of the links people have posted I'll grant that maybe time travel has some theoretical groundings. I'll still stand beside it being a shitty plot device though.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This (the IP hoarding) - he was a CEO of a major studio for years, and the only one of his peer-group who didn't get to become a squillionaire by selling his startup to a big publisher (I imagine he spent many nights crying in his budget mid-strength beer while thinking about how 'those kids' he helped out with their 2-bit company Bioware became rich, along with Garriot, Spectre, Molyneux and everyone else who had the brains to sell out instead of fighting and losing). The guy would have to be at the point of being willing to kill his mother to get back up there again.
You might want to take a look at the house Fargo lives in before you start crying about him being poverty stricken.

Agree with the rest of the post though.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I still don't get why Fargo bought the Trademark to Van Buren™. That just makes no sense. Unless He just wanted to troll the codex, since we are basically the only people on Earth that know what that is/was. And I highly doubt he approached Zenimax for the rights to the IP.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hey gaiz, I went deeper into the heart of Fargo's trademark madness... and found this :

yeTWEET.jpg

B4lCf9M.jpg

X86yBIz.jpg

9Z0czMW.jpg

7hjro6d.jpg

kEISOjK.jpg

4VkuwUH.jpg

dxqsq92.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I for one don’t care, I prefer the 1st/3rd person style of 3 and new vegas, the story and writing might need some help but the visual style is just right.
Isometric is a hold-over from a time when computers weren’t powerful enough to do the kind of visuals fallout needs in 1st person.
Lot of a rose-tinted-glasses stuff going on with wanting a new one in iso view.

I’d be more interested to hear that someone is doing Fallout 5 this time with co-op [thats not to say you have to be in a group with other players, just that you and your friends can all do the story simultaneously in the same game] campaign/story mode.

There's always one of these. That's how you know your site is mainstream.

Wizfall

Cipher
This (the IP hoarding) - he was a CEO of a major studio for years, and the only one of his peer-group who didn't get to become a squillionaire by selling his startup to a big publisher (I imagine he spent many nights crying in his budget mid-strength beer while thinking about how 'those kids' he helped out with their 2-bit company Bioware became rich, along with Garriot, Spectre, Molyneux and everyone else who had the brains to sell out instead of fighting and losing). The guy would have to be at the point of being willing to kill his mother to get back up there again.
Pretty sure Fargo has made a bunch of money, around 40 millions dollar if i remember well, by selling his company (not sure if it was Interplay or another one).

hexer

Bros, just to clarify - I didn't take the pause from Van Buren because of InXile's tradermark, but ONLY because of my business. I just found out about the trademark 10 minutes ago and don't know what to think of it...
We haven't been contacted by anyone but in case they're developing the game on their own, it would be cool if they would check out what we plan to do. We're just fans, not some boogeymen. In any case, I wish them the best.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Imagine the drama, RPGCodex fight with inExile to place Emperor Fargo back in the throne so now he can do everything he ever wanted... to sell out to EA.:lol:

The RPGCodex would say: Noooo, Fargo, you were supposed to be our messiah!

Athelas

Arcane
Is Meantime really something that's known outside of this forum? It's no Wasteland, and even its Kickstarter had to lean heavily on the Fallout brand. Although Meantime still makes more sense than Van Buren (the codename of a game in a franchise now owned by Bethesda).

My bet is still on something Bard's Tale...esque.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
eh, they wouldn't be making this game, there is no reason for it because half of it is already in New Vegas, everyone and their dog have read design documents, only codex will buy it, there is no point to make it with this title, they already buried and mourned it long time ago, they have Wasteland 2 etc.
I see no problem with Meantime being rather obscure, imo concept of time travel and famous people as companions is interesting enough to attract some new fans who have no knowledge about ancient RPGs.
Maybe they are just trolling codex. And real InXile's next game is trademarked by another company, not Roxy Friday. Would be lulzy, especially with all those news in mainstream webpages and modders freaking out.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom