Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Codex Scoop: Brian Fargo has acquired the trademark for Torment (but not Planescape)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
By the "successor to Torment" I'm sure that the developers don't mean "it must have shitty combat, because that's what defined PS:T". So, the combat system can be anything really, so why not turn based combat, fit for an RPG (especially if they can reuse the system from W2 with some modifications, thus cutting development costs in that aspect and being able to focus more on the ones that made PS:T stand out)? On the other extreme, they can use the adventure game approach and do away with combat completely. I would be fine with either approach, or with a system similar to the one in Fallout. I will definitely not support an action RPG, i.e. Popamole: Tournament, but I'm sure the developers know their target audience and they would not have been making a spiritual successor to PS:T, but to something like Alpha Protocol if they wanted to make an action game.
As if Torment wasn't popamole already.

I don't see why they would want to make a hardcore tactical game with the kind of heavy story focus they're going for so they might as well go in the other direction because at least then you're doing something. "Tactics-light real time with pause" = game plays itself.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can't like a Torment successor without Avellone.

Without him - and I hate to say that - without him (and Sawyer and Ziets) Obsidian games would not be worth playing. Their entire strength is the writing. If you take it out or diminish it you end up with deeply flawed, mediocre hack & slash RPGs. Examples are plenty: KOTOR 2, PS:T, NWN 2, New Vegas. If it weren't for the writing (and the exploration and mood and tone and atmosphere) they wouldn't be worth playing.

And I love them very much.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Obsidian ain't even makin' this thing man.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
I can't like a Torment successor without Avellone.

Without him - and I hate to say that - without him (and Sawyer and Ziets) Obsidian games would not be worth playing. Their entire strength is the writing. If you take it out or diminish it you end up with deeply flawed, mediocre hack & slash RPGs. Examples are plenty: KOTOR 2, PS:T, NWN 2, New Vegas. If it weren't for the writing (and the exploration and mood and tone and atmosphere) they wouldn't be worth playing.

And I love them very much.

? Sawyer is a gameplay/systems guy. His writing, while decent, hasn't been that exceptional so far and he's pretty open about it.

Arcade is arguably the best thing he has written aside from story outlines/inclusion of themes.

If you mean New Vegas, John Gonzalez was Lead Writer there.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
and Sawyer and Ziets

So, you put Sawyer(!!!!!!) and Ziets, above McComb in the writing department? o_O The guy not only worked on Torment but on Planescape itself.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Broken Hills and San Francisco were an embarrassment writing-wise. Nothing at all comparable to Joshua Graham telling you his story while cleaning his guns.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Sawyer was Graham, right? If so he's good.
And let's not forget Mr. McComb's Book of Elves.

mondblut

Arcane
The entire internet of popamole decline is linking to this thread. Quickly, somebody hijack it with multiheaded dicks. These peons do not deserve the fruit of codexian discoveries.

Kirtai

Augur
It's interesting how many unethical so-called-journalists are failing to mention their source :mad:

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's interesting how many unethical so-called-journalists are failing to mention their source :mad:
Yeah, it does make me :rage:when I see all the so-called serious journalists either not sourcing the information (Ars Technica) or sourcing it incorrectly (IGN and Polygon quoting Eurogamer as the source). And they wonder why people are not taking them seriously anymore! From Infinitron's list, one can notice how the bigger the news outlet is, the shittier their reporting gets.

Edit:

It's even more telling what kind of audience these sites attract. For example, in the comment section of the Ars Technica article, a Codexer (most likely) tried to set things straight and posted:

"interestedpartySmack-Fu Master, in training Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:56 pm New Poster

Hey @Kyle Orland, Usually it's proper procedure to mention the original source for your story. You know, like who you heard this from or where you read it? Like you know, saying that perhaps RPGcodex.net was the first to come out with this information. Do we throw away all that "journalistic integrity" out the window when it comes to video games or are you trying to say that you came up with the scoop?

up ( -3 | +7 / -10 ) down 1 post | registered Dec 3, 2012
"

It got 7 brofists and 10 dumbfucks: just goes to show how moronic their audience is if it pounces on a guy that said nothing but the truth and tried to set the record straight.

Edit 2:

It seems that there are some right-thinking folk in Ars Technica's audience:

"JakalArs Legatus Legioniset Subscriptor Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:30 pm
interestedparty wrote:
"Hey @Kyle Orland, Usually it's proper procedure to mention the original source for your story. You know, like who you heard this from or where you read it? Like you know, saying that perhaps RPGcodex.net was the first to come out with this information. Do we throw away all that "journalistic integrity" out the window when it comes to video games or are you trying to say that you came up with the scoop?"

I think this is a very important point and I would like to see this discussed further. Quoted for emphasis.
up ( +3 | +3 / 0 ) down 15698 posts | registered Oct 6, 2001
"

and

"UleePooArs Centurion Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:35 am
Seriously, you could link back to rpgcodex.net, who actually found the USTPO trademark, which made this an actual story instead of some developer musing on his blog over a game he made long ago.
Quote:
"Meanwhile, a trademark application for the name "Torment" has popped up on the USPTO website in reference to "providing online downloadable computer and video game programs" and "providing temporary use of online non-downloadable computer and video games." The trademark was filed back in May by Roxy Friday, a company controlled by Black Isle Studios' Brian Fargo, who has used it to register other game-related trademarks in the past."

This entire paragraph is lifted directly from that source's research.

Quote:
"There are many other pieces to the pie on this project that I can't speak to yet which prevents me from much comment," Fargo told Eurogamer. "I need to get the other elements in order so you can fully understand the detail, team, approach and reasoning first. There will lots of pleasant surprises but I had not planned on talking about it yet."

In the sentence before this quote, Brian Fargo gives the source credit for finding it so quickly, and from such an obscure filing. Have some goddamn class, Ars.
up ( +2 | +2 / 0 ) down 314 posts | registered May 30, 2006
"

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I would have rather see Obsidian doing this game.. The way Fargo promotes Wasteland 2 is very unappealong to me for some reason.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
The way Fargo promotes Wasteland 2...
PR is PR, development is a different beast. We got no idea how good they are on that front though.

Im pretty sure by the time say they kickstart we'll have seen much more of wasteland 2.
Its just a case of watch and wait.

But since "marketing" is the only thing we've seen so far for both P:E and Wasteland 2 I can compare both projects. Fargo always seems to be a bit trying too hard, while the P:E things I actually liked because they were more "honest".

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Who cares? Fargo isn't the one "making" the game, he's just "making it happen". Also, that presentation he did (can't remember the time or place to link) with that preview vid was very informative and honest. The fuck, Solar?

Who cares? Fargo isn't the one "making" the game, he's just "making it happen". Also, that presentation he did (can't remember the time or place to link) with that preview vid was very informative and honest. The fuck, Solar?

Yeah and plus it's great that Fargo is competent and can get a lot of money "his way", as it will be good for the project. Or would you rather that it ends like Thorvalla? :roll:

Hormalakh

Magister
Honestly, regarding the dumbasses not crediting the Codex...I'm not sure if I really want that group of retardos who read their "journalism" to become familiar with the 'dex. Then we'd have a massive deluge of :decline:-posters here. I'm not sure how I feel about that. If they want to donate to RPGcodex however and then leave, then that's fine with me.

:hipster newfag:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Honestly, regarding the dumbasses not crediting the Codex...I'm not sure if I really want that group of retardos who read their "journalism" to become familiar with the 'dex. Then we'd have a massive deluge of :decline:-posters here. I'm not sure how I feel about that. If they want to donate to RPGcodex however and then leave, then that's fine with me.

:hipster newfag:
But we welcome dumbass newfags here, we really do! Watching them roast on the Codex after their first retarded post in glorious!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom