Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Company News Codex Scoop: Brian Fargo has acquired the trademark for Torment (but not Planescape)

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Dec 2, 2012.

1. TwinkieGorillagender: ⚧ does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Jaesungender: ⚧ Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Oh gawd that retard. :lol:

^ Top  
  3. Sylgender: ⚧ Savant

Syl
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  4. Trashgender: ⚧ Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    Parrots:
    Fucking hell, rarely has my avatar been more appropriate.

^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Humanity has risen!gender: ⚧ Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Parrots:
    It's a good thing it won't re use the emo pseudo gothic Planescape setting, but I fear it will be all kinds of emo anyway.

Please reduce the amount of backtracking, fetch quests, idle chatter, weird/gothic elements and characters as gimmicks, and include actual combat this time.

I still think this game is the Final Fantasy VII of PC gamers, except that one was more of an actual game. I also think that Lost Odyssey, although having inferior dialogue and characters, overall handled this sort of premise better.

It really add to the game when there's meaty gameplay content lying underneath. It added a lot to these two games even though they were far less intelligently written.

^ Top  
  6. Primordial Soup Nazigender: ⚧ Learned

Primordial Soup Nazi
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity

So basically you want the game setting equivalent to an unbuttered slice of Wonderbread?

^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Humanity has risen!gender: ⚧ Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Parrots:
    I just believe it's possible to tell a meaningful, adult story in a videogame in a fantasy environment without resorting to gimmicks and rubbing them in your face.

And the idle dialog added more content and background to the game, but it also broke the pace and distracted from the game itself too much.

^ Top  
  8. Primordial Soup Nazigender: ⚧ Learned

Primordial Soup Nazi
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity
    Eh, I never really had that feeling of gimmicks being bashed over my skull; a very large part of the nature of a man Planescape is that its a convergence of varying ideas and cultures, and I think for most people who played Torment, its viewed in a positive light.

Planescape reminds me of Neil Gaiman's Sandman setting, in that way; all these various concepts, planes of existence, gods, the seven Endless, and even average joes all mixed up in a mad scientist's beaker.

Realistically, I don't imagine that they'd want to diverge from this tried-and-true "melting pot" theme, even though/if they don't have the rights to produce a game in the Planescape setting.

Try to think of them less as "gimmicks" and more as plot devices, maybe?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)