Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Codex Scoop: Brian Fargo has acquired the trademark for Torment (but not Planescape)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree, there's probably no chance of this being TB. The question is, will they use Eternity's engine or modify Wasteland 2's?

Eh? That's the same engine.

I'm not talking about Unity but what they're building on top of it.

Or is there something you'd like to tell us?

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I agree, there's probably no chance of this being TB. The question is, will they use Eternity's engine or modify Wasteland 2's?

Yeah, that's right. They're both using Unity and they will both have some RPG mecanics & interface modifications done to Unity. Making it TB or RTwP is going to be just a design decision based on what kind of gameplay they'll be aiming for.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
No. But as far as I know that's largely the same thing. Unity with a lot of Obsidian's tools integrated for it. That's used for Eternity and for Wasteland 2.

I get what you mean though, asking if they can take over the work Obsidian has done in coding RTwP and making the 2D background stuff function? I have no idea (honestly I don't), but I wouldn't foresee that being a problem if that's the route they want to go. The two studios are really close and working well together at the moment.

ironyuri

No. But as far as I know that's largely the same thing. Unity with a lot of Obsidian's tools integrated for it. That's used for Eternity and for Wasteland 2.

I get what you mean though, asking if they can take over the work Obsidian has done in coding RTwP and making the 2D background stuff function? I have no idea (honestly I don't), but I wouldn't foresee that being a problem if that's the route they want to go. The two studios are really close and working well together at the moment.

What are the chances of an nXile - Obsdian merger? Brian Fargo and Urquhart joining forces as executives, in a kind of Interplay-Black isle relationship?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
As strange as it may sound, I don't want an InXile-Obsidian merge. There is nothing and nobody at inexile that Obsidian needs. Fargo? Sorry, but he is a producer type of guy, not a good designer, programmer or artist. Obsidian doesn't need him.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A merger would be a bad idea. Obsidian seems to be in constant jeopardy as it is, they don't need to get any bigger. Too many eggs in one basket etc.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
What are the chances of an nXile - Obsdian merger? Brian Fargo and Urquhart joining forces as executives, in a kind of Interplay-Black isle relationship?

None, by my estimate. There's just no advantage to it, whereas there's a lot to gain from them being separate studios that can share work, resources, occasionally swap developers, share ideas, etc. etc. An actual merger would just make the studio more unwieldy, large and susceptible to fluctuations in funding and staffing. And besides, their studio goals are pretty different. Obsidian continues to be a large-ish studio dependent on publishers to work on well-staffed AAA projects, inXile is content being a very small studio that really, uh, well, just does this, really, make crowd-funded RPGs, and not much else.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
while budget 2D is basically the same as expensive 2D.

rpg_maker_vx_charset.jpg

Holy heck, this looks fucking AMAZING. Infinitron, or anyone else, tell me what game this is...TELL ME NOW!!!

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No, I doubt they merge, well at least not yet. Combining powers might be the best course of action eventually, though. Times today seem to mirror the decline, whereby up is down and down is up. Know what I mean?

Zeriel

Arcane
"What's your qualifications to vet our writing on this next-gen RPG project? It's going to feature lots of choices, deep moral questions, and sort of tease out the philosophical contradictions of late modern--"

"Relax! I've got this shit covered. I wrote 'The Complete Book of Elves'."

This is why I was never good at job interviews.

Moribund

A droglike

I'm not talking about Unity but what they're building on top of it.

Or is there something you'd like to tell us?

Seems to make no sense to borrow PE code. Hopefully they won't. I doubt anyone thought the combat for torment was great.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That's not code bro, that's art. I doubt they'd swap art. Maybe stuff like lighting effects.

That screen is just a mock-up though. Not the game in action. We haven't actually seen the engine in action for P:E yet. But we will. Hope they can reach some fairly lofty expectations of the quality of their 2D art. Doable, but not easy.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
CMcC No way. That Elf book was genius. One of my favorite characters was a Grey Elf Wind Rider who used bladesinging. This dude had horrible stats, but I played arrogant. Things worked out and he actually defeated an Old Red Dragon. He eventually lost some fingers and got killed by rats, but such is the way of things in AD&D. Good moments in gaming don't come down to iteration and effort. These things are created through passion and talent. It was a horribly unbalanced book, but I actually know a guy who worshiped it. He walked south with an Elf handbook in hand and was never seen again. That guy was cool. That shit is important. Never forget.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
That's not code bro, that's art.

Come on, you know it's not that simple. They need special code to support that stuff and all the effects they have planned. Adam talked about it in his interview with TotalBiscuit.

My point is, there's more to it than the combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom