Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Codex Scoop: Brian Fargo has acquired the rights to Torment (but not Planescape)

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Brother None Prestigious Gentleman On the line for InXile

Brother None
    Click here and disable ads!
    Yip, I get what you're saying. Obsidian has some impressive people in place. And I do genuinely hope they'll share some resources. The two studios seem to be pretty tight so hopefully they can do a bit of dev-swapping on occasion, like MCA working on WL2. I'd certainly dig a Fenstermaker-written section for a new Torment.

Hopefully inXile's team can convince you they have the quality in-house to pull it off. I think they do, though it's an open question how one feels about Fargo hiring people who are book writers rather than game writers to work on these things. I'm fine with it as long as you have strong designers/producers to balance it out, but others may feel differently. Anyway, it is more than Colin, they do have other names that can make you go "oh, cool". Just this weekend I was mailing Colin all "he's working for you guys now? Saaaaaaahweeeeeeeeeeeet".

Can't reveal who it was about tho :P Please don't unleash Roguey on me :(
    ^ Top  
  2. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    OH GOD, PLANESCAPE TORMENT 2. Eh, not quite.

Looks just like promoting a future kickstarter to me.
    ^ Top  
  3. Gondolin Prophet

Gondolin
    The Codex is moving up in its little world.
    ^ Top  
  4. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    I thought it was obvious: I get off on ruining it for other people.

So when are they gonna tell something about it? If they put together a team already I assume they started working on something and they don't sit around with a finger up their ass.
    ^ Top  
  5. IronicNeurotic Arbiter

IronicNeurotic
    Kevin Saunders? In that case we know that he's working with InXile.

Also, we'll see. Wasteland 2 probably won't as it's not really comparable. So, I'm remaining sceptical till it's out.

Still, I'd rather they went with a original thing in the same vein. The Torment Part of Planescape was very much Chris's writing. Which may lead to disappointment and a possible worse game in the end (Due to *forced* game design goals)
    Lockkaliber Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  6. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    :lol: Fair enough. I can respect that.
    Brother None Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  7. Kirtai Liturgist

Kirtai
    As opposed to all the epic journeys to fight some terrible evil that is a threat to all that is with the fate of the world in the balance that devs seem so in love with hopefully.
    ^ Top  
  8. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Ain't working out so well this year, eh?
    Stainless Veteran and Kz3r0 Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  9. Rake Arcane

Rake
    This. It's not that i don't trust Colin and whatever team Brian will put together, but i think a cooperation between obsidian and inXile is the better solution.Better even from Obsidian doing it alone. I trust Brian more than Feargus in management/marketing
    ^ Top  
  10. CMcC Developer

CMcC
    Did someone say Mask of the Betrayer? Funny, I was just talking to a guy who worked on that...
    Jaesun, CrustyBot, DwarvenFood and 9 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  11. IronicNeurotic Arbiter

IronicNeurotic
    Yeah, Kevin Saunders, confirmed.

Don't make it THAT easy.
    CMcC Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  12. Matt7895 Magister Patron

Matt7895
    Codex 2014 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I'm relieved. Hopefully this might stop Trent Oster from getting his filthy hands on Torment.
    ^ Top  
  13. IronicNeurotic Arbiter

IronicNeurotic
    He could still do it if he gets the license. Just not name it Torment.
    ^ Top  
  14. Brother None Prestigious Gentleman On the line for InXile

Brother None
    I do wonder if this bars Oster from doing an Enhanced Edition. I mean, obviously he can't do a "sequel" of any kind, which is what I was saying in the post Infinitron linked to from a while back, but an EE? I think he'd now need inXile's permission for that, but I'm not completely sure.

I say just fuse the teams that worked on Planescape: Torment and one NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer into one monstrosity and hand it to them.

EDIT: oh, and add some guys who worked on Sanitarium's graphics. Haha. Do it!!
    EDIT2: the above is all just my opinion and not hints stop looking at me so suspiciously.
    Jaesun, Minttunator, Matt7895 and 3 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  15. IronicNeurotic Arbiter

IronicNeurotic

On that note though, are you at least considering sharing resources with Obsidian/involving MCA?

Because otherwise you would seriously be better of doing something original with similiar goals since disappointment (deserved or not) is guaranteed if you market it as a PS:T *spiritual* successor. It may even hurt a potential kickstarter considering how much MCA is connected to the original game.

Not doubting your abilities, but just want to offer my opinion/perspective.
    ^ Top  
  16. quasimodo Scholar Patron

quasimodo
    Inxile has shown themselves willing to go with TB combat while Obsidian went with RTwP. If Inxile does a new Torment maybe it will have decent combat
    himmy, tuluse and villain of the story Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  17. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    If this is a pre Kickstarter marketing campaign I'd like to let you know it is working. Take my money!
    himmy, CrustyBot, DwarvenFood and 3 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  18. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    :greatjob:
    ^ Top  
  19. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    So you'd have dialogue and graphics covered... Now what about the actual game?
    ^ Top  
  20. mondblut Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

mondblut
    Yay for Torment with friends.

Anyway, one doesn't have to carry a Planescape logo to be set on the planes. There was a fuckton of planar splatbooks done outside WOTC under d20. "Beyond Countless Doorways" by the very same Cook and McComb, for one.
    Stainless Veteran Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Yeah, except Colin has said it would be "Infinity Engine style" so I dunno.
    ^ Top  
  22. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Funny thing about Planescape is that in D&D 4th edition Azmodeus became a greater deity, and literally threw the Abyss into the sun. So no more Blood War and no more Nameless One.

Problem?

[​IMG]
    ^ Top  
  23. Malpercio Savant

Malpercio
    Either way, i don't think we'll see anything anytime soon.
    ^ Top  
  24. CappenVarra Phantasmist

CappenVarra
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Published for opposition, you say? And how exactly does one go about filing an opposition to the application? Hmm...
    Quickly, how about a Codex fund-raiser for lawyer fees to file an opposition?
    ^ Top  
  25. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    In before Herve.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)