Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Codex Scoop: Brian Fargo has acquired the trademark for Torment (but not Planescape)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Oh gawd that retard. :lol:

Repressed Homosexual
It's a good thing it won't re use the emo pseudo gothic Planescape setting, but I fear it will be all kinds of emo anyway.

Please reduce the amount of backtracking, fetch quests, idle chatter, weird/gothic elements and characters as gimmicks, and include actual combat this time.

I still think this game is the Final Fantasy VII of PC gamers, except that one was more of an actual game. I also think that Lost Odyssey, although having inferior dialogue and characters, overall handled this sort of premise better.

It really add to the game when there's meaty gameplay content lying underneath. It added a lot to these two games even though they were far less intelligently written.

Repressed Homosexual
I just believe it's possible to tell a meaningful, adult story in a videogame in a fantasy environment without resorting to gimmicks and rubbing them in your face.

And the idle dialog added more content and background to the game, but it also broke the pace and distracted from the game itself too much.

Project: Eternity
Eh, I never really had that feeling of gimmicks being bashed over my skull; a very large part of the nature of a man Planescape is that its a convergence of varying ideas and cultures, and I think for most people who played Torment, its viewed in a positive light.

Planescape reminds me of Neil Gaiman's Sandman setting, in that way; all these various concepts, planes of existence, gods, the seven Endless, and even average joes all mixed up in a mad scientist's beaker.

Realistically, I don't imagine that they'd want to diverge from this tried-and-true "melting pot" theme, even though/if they don't have the rights to produce a game in the Planescape setting.

Try to think of them less as "gimmicks" and more as plot devices, maybe?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom