Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Pathfinder Adventures (Logs from Session 1 posted!)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Session over. thanks to everyone, I had a ton of fun GMing it. I hope the players had at least half as much fun suffering under my egomanical tendencies.

Next date is tentatively scheduled at either Dec 27th or 28th. Same time (18-24 GMT+1). Let me know if one (or both) days are ok for you and we'll go with whichever is most popular.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
27th and 28th are both good for me.

It was a good session, want moar nao!

/e: I also updated my char sheet (same URL). Just detracted some gold is all.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
"you wake up to shouting in the street. 'Someone desecrated the sacred monument in the dark of night!'"

"Shit... did we do it?"

I lol'd.

Also, before I forget. Your villagers-are-crazy-bro score is 23 ATM. (20 base +1 talking people down at graveyard +2 touching funeral stories +1 befriending girls on the street -1 giving the sheriff lip). This may be important later :M

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Angelo85 said:
27th and 28th are both good for me.

It was a good session, want moar nao!

/e: I also updated my char sheet (same URL). Just detracted some gold is all.

What the dwarf says.

27th and 28th - both are fine with me.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Waiting on word from lightbane then. If he's fine with the 28th, that sounds like a date to me.

lightbane

Arcane
28th would be better for me. I'll confirm whether I can or not next week.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
root said:
tumblr_l0wasrj8qt1qbch4xo1_500.jpg

Probably waiting on me to upload some character portraits for the writeup.

Chapter the first.
In which four serial LARPfags and a real man manage to get themselves thrown into jail. Before that peasants will be talked down, mass memory lapses in regards of their benefactor's name will be had, hardcore partying will be done, parasols and smoking pipes will be bought, ropes will be skipped, songs will be sung, crumpets will be had, and books will be read! Also, love blooms and sociopathic half elves go EMO!

This is a heavily edited chronicle of what transpired during the first session of Ulmichan's interpretation of the Carrion Crown campaign. It is heavily edited in that I have tried to keep a relatively structured narrative flow, as you can surely understand the session itself was a pretty chaotic affair with everyone talking at the same time, going from IC to OOC without warning, and getting lost in the general confussion. Some dialogue lines that were just echoing each other I left out, and a couple of times I changed the order in which two or more lines were because they did not make much sense otherwise without following the entire situation from an OOC perspective.

I have written it using Vanessa as the POV character as it came pretty lifeless, and pretty boring, as a simple line per line and action per action chronology of the events. I did pick her for the simple fact that she's the only character I know what's going inside her head at a given time, and so while every line of dialogue is written verbatim, outside some typos and grammar being fixed here and there, and all events happen exactly as they happened in the session, the narration itself is mostly from a mixture of her IC perspective and my OOC one.

That's for the notes. The story begins in a path near Ravengro's graveyard. Five people are there, waiting under a soft rain. They have been in the town no more than a couple of days and they haven't enjoyed it the slightest bit. To begin with the are attending a friend's funeral, which is also the only thing they have in common outside of a single time in which four of them managed to save the profesor from an untimely and bloody end, and maybe once or twice in the years since. Maybe more importantly is that their friend's daughter is too distraught to even care for the visitors, and that the locals are a friendly bunch who sees them as, an I quote, "Fancy-pants foreign types, coming here and meddling with their dark magicks." Charming little town, indeed.

As the result of this they have been staying at the Outward Inn, and I'm guessing they have gravitated together given the general mistrust, when not outright hostility, the quaint little pumpkins throw in their general direction. That's an explanation as good as any other as to why they are together, and I'm sticking to it.

There will be longer introductions later for at least some of them, but a brief one is right now needed. First and foremost there's Ulzir, whose last name may as well be Shepard for all we know. He's a half elf with an attitude. Two attitudes, even. Or, maybe, three. Gee, make that four.

ulzir.jpg
Well met, fellow adventurers.

Much could be written about him, but we will leave it in that he's a ranger and a man, or, well, a half elf, of action, who lets his daring, bravery, and derring-do speak for themselves. It's just a shame his daring, bravery, and derring-do did not invest more ranks on social skills.

Then we have Alais, the pretty yet bookish and socially akward wizardess with an unhealthy fascination with all things long dead. And with cutting them, removing their internal organs, and playing with those. Or something that looks like she's playing with those, at least, and then hug them while sleeping. In any case, she could easily triple her already considerable Moe value by using glasses and being somewhat klutzy but, alas, I am not their image advisor.

alais.jpg
Well, we've been living in the same inn for quite a while.

She's really smart, quite studious, and very acknowledgeable, which makes her almost the diametral opposite of the party's other girl, whom we will call a sorceress because whimsical and beautiful socialite descended from a fairy and wielding kind of useless magical powers doesn't sound so dignified. Her name's Vanessa, and for what she has done thus far the same she could be a bard with no one noticing the difference.

Vanessa.jpg
In the same "inn", yes. To give it a name, I guess.

In the next place we have Grotak, a dwarf. He's not your grandmother's dwarf, though: He's centered, cool, has manners, is not bloodthirsthy in the least, and when he talks the last thing you imagine is a miniature scot. Vanessa's pet theory is that during that fateful day, almost three years ago, when they saved the Professor's life something went terribly wrong and made the dwarf and the half-elf exchange bodies, or at least personalities. It can happen.

grotak.jpg
If I recon correctly some of us met before - on the adventure we had with the professor! Prey did you receive this mysterious note about the professor's untimely demise as well?

And last, but not least, we have the odd and quite nervous alchemist by the name of Edgar. He's the party's other brainiac, a wellspring of obscure arcane trivia who has that mad scientist thing going on. From the group he's the one who did not met the others three years earlier, and the only one who's actually not a good natured anti-hero but an actual hero, with goodness and everything. In theory, at least.

edgar.jpg
Yes, I-I did.

ulzir.jpg
We should cooperate and get to the bottom of this.

grotak.jpg
Indeed. I am eager to find out what took our dear friend to the grave at such a young age.

alais.jpg
Let's wait for the actual funeral.

edgar.jpg
The Pr-pr-ofessor saved my live once, it's unfor-fortunate his demise, but I swear I'll do wh-whatever I can.

ulzir.jpg
Drive a dagger into the heart of evil that has put an end to the dear professor's life.

alais.jpg
We need to talk with Kendra about this.

grotak.jpg
alas we might be able to talk to her after the funeral. My invitation mentioned something about the professors inheretance.

ulzir.jpg
Fine, but make it fast, i dislike drawn-out talks with useless wenches.

The party finally decides to resume walking. As they approach the cemetery they notice a small assembly of people, their number somewhere between half and a full dozen, all in dark clothes. Among them is a young woman with a parasol to protect herself from the rain. Kendra, their friend's daughter. Unbeknownst to her the professor's death isn't the only thing fate plans on throwing her way, and before the next day's lunch time she will have her late father's friends hitting on her, making themselves at home in her home, arriving terribly drunk at advanced hours in the morning, and destroying what little local reputation she still has in front of about every single important person in town. But we are getting ahead of ourselves.

After a little this and a little that the funeral procession is ready to start, and our heroes are asked whether or not they want to serve as pallbearers. Whomever asked was soon feeling it had been a terrible mistake to do so.

vanessa.jpg
I would hurt myself. AND the coffin.

grotak.jpg
I shall carry the dear professor on his last way.

ulzir.jpg
Of course.

alais.jpg
Let the dwarf and the elven mongrel do the honours.

ulzir.jpg
Brave talk for a weak little thing like yourself.

grotak.jpg
Speaks the half-elf...

Luckily, Edgar puts an end to the bickering by taking their attentions back to the matter at hand, and to where they are, and to the company they are in. Thus the half-elf, the dwarf, and the alchemist become pallbearers, but the situation is already turning akward, and those assembled for the procession aren't taking their actions and behaviour well. This, however, is naught but a taste of things to come.

Vanessa.jpg
This is going to be a long day, it seems.

grotak.jpg
Let us not argue any longer and show our respect to our perished friend.

Shortly afterwards the procession has been put into motion. Kendra, the professor's daughter, is at the fore, followed first by the coffin, and, then, by the others. As they advance through the graveyard the notice a great many ravens dotting the area. But more importantly...

grotak.jpg
Have you seen this strange boy?

Vanessa.jpg
Strange boy? Where?

alais.jpg
What are you talking about?

grotak.jpg
He just went deeper into the graveyard as we approached.

edgar.jpg
Hush, we'll talk about it la-later.

ulzir.jpg
He must know something.

grotak.jpg
I'll be carrying our dear friend, but perhaps some one of you could investigate?

Vanessa.jpg
I'm not walking alone into a graveyard where weird kids lurk.

alais.jpg
It's probably nothing.

edgar.jpg
Please, do not angry the villagers m-more than necesary.

grotak.jpg
These villagers have eyed us strangely since we arrived. I can't be the only one that noticed?

DM.jpg
The villagers seem to have decided that foreigners are strange and appear determined to ignore the continued social faux pas'es. :roll:

grotak.jpg
Perhaps the boy can shed some light into all of this?

ulzir.jpg
Let's ask the professors daughter about him.

But they will never do, alas, for they are like little rodents surrounded by many shiny thingies. And on they go, bickering and discussing and debating, and not even making the effort not to be noticed, while in the midst of their dear friend's funeral and grieving loved ones, until, upon taking a corner, they find themselves facing a small mob. Alright, a very small mob. Say, six really angry villagers.

Vanessa.jpg
Oh, joy.

Edgar's monocle shatters due to the repentine stress and the surprise. Given that must have someohow violated every single physical law I ever heard about, which aren't really that many, I'm asuming it's somehow related to his nature as a budding mad scientist and move along. Never trust those guys, I say.

ulzir.jpg
I'm not lending you money for a new one.

For a moment wild bickering seems about to begin anew. Curiously, it is thus to be considered lucky, for the sanity of all those present who aren't them at least, that the mob takes the initiative. One of the angry villagers takes a step forward.

:mob: That's far enough!

grotak.jpg
Prey, what is the problem my good sir?

:mob: We been talking, and we don't want Lorrimor buried in the Restlands. You can take him upriver and bury him there if you want, but he ain't going' in the ground here!

ulzir.jpg
You'll regret this, you filthy cur.

Ah, the wonders of half-elf diplomacy! Kendra, meanwhile, seems quite affected by what's happening, though at least she tries to hide it. Alais advances towards her while trying to discover the reason for the mob's intervention, but she's ignored. Ulzir, meanwhile, is muttering something about lopping heads off, and Grotak is trying to keep him down.

kendra.jpg
What are you talking about!? I arranged it with Father Grimburrow! He's waiting for us! the grave's already been --

:mob: You don't get it woman! We don't want a necromancer buried in the same place as our kin.

ulzir.jpg
NecroWHAT?

:mob: I suggest you move out while you still can. Folks are pretty upset about this righ trnow

alais.jpg
We can see that.

edgar.jpg
Ne-necromancer you say? Do you have any proof of it?

Having spent most of his life among books, treatises, and scientifical journals Edgar seems to forget dealing with angry mobs always puts the burden of proof square in your shoulders. He's quickly enlightened, but in the end he's not the only one who seems to have forgotten how your potential enemies deserve even more pampering, manners, and charm than your friends do.

:mob: Everyone knows he was up to something! Skulking around, doing his dark magicky things! Now either you walk out or we throw you out. Either way, he's not desecrating this place further!

ulzir.jpg
How upset will they be to see their motherless children wailing and rolling in their blood?

:mob: Right, 'at does it!

Vanessa.jpg
I'm not with them.

grotak.jpg
Maybe this will teach you to hold your tonge.

ulzir.jpg
And you'd just accept their accusations?

edgar.jpg
Please, everyone, calm down, it's just a misun-misunderstanding.

grotak.jpg
The time for words is clearly over, Edgar.

Alais does what wizards do on such situations and opens the battle by casting sleep at those closest to her and Kendra, as she, you may remember, had advanced next to her, from her place behind the pallbearers, when the mob first tried to stop them. She kind of forgets the spell requires an entire round to be cast, which leaves her open and still at the front. She also forgets something maybe more important.

:mob: She cast magicks!

Even then, while several peasants advance towards her with a very marked lack of love for the evil witch in their eyes, she manages to notice at least one of her companions has bloodlust on his own and tries to be caring and humanitarian, maybe out of honest goodness or maybe because she's trying to make them forget she's casting a spell on them under the very same set of asumptions that would go and soon become Vanessa's life philosophy. It doesn't work as intended. But, then, what ever does?

alais.jpg
Don't harm those peasants! Idiots!

ulzir.jpg
I'll drop my weapon if they apologize.

:mob: Oi! she calle dus peasant eedjots!

Edgar lets out a sigh. Vanessa smiles to herself. Grotak shakes his head and mumbles something about being surrounded by fools. Ulzir is, well, Ulzir. Like a force of nature, you have to learn to love him just as he is, or skip town when he's visiting.

ulzir.jpg
Apologize!

One of the peasants manages to reach Alais and tries to punch her with wild enthusiasm. He misses so badly it's almost comical. Edgar attacks that very same one with his light crossbow, mumbling something about trying to not hurt the peasant badly. With a crossbow and at a pretty close distance, yes. Luckily for both the peasant and the alchemist's consciousness he misses.

:mob: Bloomin' 'ell!

alais.jpg
Moron! Don't kill them!

The sudden disappearance of one of the pallbearers leaves the coffin fighting an uphill battle against the simplest of physics, and only the quick reaction of the dwarf manages to keep it from tumbling over and spilling it's contents all around. More punches get thrown with far more savagery than skill, finding nothing but air.

DM.jpg
Fists are flying, arrows are flying, spells are flying, coffins are nearly flying. Nothing seems to connect!

ulzir.jpg
A truly codexian affair.

edgar.jpg
I never ask-asked for this.

Most of the funeral procession is by then panicked, screaming and running away. Only our heroes and Kendra remain, and whatever hint of order and purpose the mob could once have had is long gone: Everyone's doing their own thing, carried away by the panic, the anger, and not a small bit of hysteria.

edgar.jpg
Dear lord, what a good impression we're making.

alais.jpg
They are enraged!

Vanessa.jpg
I wonder why...

Vanessa reacts first like someone who doesn't really remembers the rules and isn't yet completely inside her character: She casts Grease to protect Edgar's flank from the advancing villagers, thinking completely OOC and probably with terms like goblins instead of misguided villagers and tactical combat instead of social interaction. Her spell makes one slide to the floor, and then she retreats as fast as she can towards the cemetery gate. Considering this is a cemetery under the rain, the surface thus muddy and irregular, and she's wearing some pretty steep heels the scene itself must have been pretty funny. The joke was kind of lost in the only remaining public, though.

:mob: Vile witchery! Dark magicks!

Vanessa.jpg
Yes, that girl in the red dress sure's a witch.

grotak.jpg
You only make our situation worse.

alais.jpg
Some help here!

Ulzir first decides to charge one of the villagers and punch the stupid out of him, but then, remembering he's one of the only two remaining pallbearers, he carefully lowers his side to the ground instead. This takes his entire round instead of being a free action like just droping it down would have been, but preserves the contents where they belong. The same does Grotak once his own turn comes, and then one of the villagers finally manages to connect a strike, punching Alais in the stomach for what amounts, to a wizardess, to about half her hitpoints.

And as the first round ends her spell finally comes into effect and the two peasants attacking her fall asleep. She then moves to try and place herself in such a position as to cover as many of the remaining ones with a color spray.

map1.jpg

It works pretty nicely, leaving only two enemies in their feet. It almost works pretty nicely on Edgar, too, but he somehow manages to resist it and takes the chance to quickly punch the one enemy next to him and still on his feet for about three damage.

By then Vanessa has kind of remembered she focused her entire character sheet into being really charming, breathtakingly beautiful, and quite sociable, and that maybe, just maybe, she should just try and talk them down. More importantly, though, she remembers the spellcasters will be shot sign back a the town's entrance and decides, quite quickly, to dedicate her life to be nice, friendly, funny, and helpful with the locals so people starts liking her well enough before the whatever law this place has hears about her. Trying to look as innocent as possible, and remembering how superstitious those country bumpkins are...

Vanessa.jpg
Stop, right now! Whatever you have against -them-, shouldn't you take it elsewhere? You are disturbing the rest of those here sleeping, and spilling blood from them to savor. Do you really believe this to be smart? Safe?

The dice Gods smile upon her and give her a result of 29 in a 1d20 + 9 roll, showing a skimpy enough dress can even rake divine favour, and I would add a smug face here if that weren't to break the paragraph. The brawl stops and silence falls upon the graveyard, at least for a little bit. Seconds later a repentine clapping breaks the tense, uncomfortable quietness. Someone really knows how to make a dramatic entrance.

grimburrow.jpg
Ah, child, it gladdens me to see at least ONE person in his hallowed place has the presence of mind to speak common sense.

The priest glares fiercely at the now really uncomfortable mob. Being perfectly conscious she had just betrayed her nature as a sorceress to an angry mob of magic hating uncivilized primitives she decides to press the advantage and try to make the peasants remember her as that nice and pretty lady full of forgiveness and kindness and understanding instead of the one we have to burn before we all start croackin and licking flies.

Vanessa.jpg
They aren't to bear the entire guilt.

grimburrow.jpg
You're lucky this well-spoken lady took your side, ruffians. If I had my way, you'd all be spending the night in the sheriffs lockup.

Grotak and Edgar apologize for what transpired, the half-elf remains silent for once, and the mob disperses with an embarrased air about them. From then on things go smoothly: Before long the procession is back in business, with all those who ran away when the brawl broke out returning to their places and the last journey of the Professor coming to a satisfactory end in the plot Kendra had purchased for her father. She talks about how brave and selfless her father was, recounting stories and anecdotes, and then invites anyone else who has tales of her father to share to step forward and do so.

It is the dwarf who first does so.

grotak.jpg
well, Kendra, as your father probably has told you we all had our brief encounters with him. We knew him as a kind hearted spirit who still had much to give. We grieve over your loss, and hope he will find the peace, in death, life wouldn't give to him. Although I only briefly met him we shared many stories, and he only had good things to say about you. Perhaps later we can talk a bit in private, and share our stories about him. This is all I have to say. Thank you. May his soul find peace.

What follows may as well be the Gods' way to tell our heroes Grotak and Vanessa are meant to be best pals ever. He rolls 1d20 - 2 and gets an 18. Everyone is moved, impressed, touched, and kind of letting slide from their minds this is the very same dwarf a short while ago was contemplating to drop the coffing without much ceremony to start beating their neighbours with his axe's handle. Father Grimburrow looks around like who's expecting for another to step forward. The half-elf does.

ulzir.jpg
This one time, in a graveyard, I fought to clean the professor's name of accusations of necromancy while everyone else tried to talk me out of it. I think that's a cool story.

What follows are several minutes of akward, uncomfortable silence, broken by nothing but a single conversation, held in whispers.

ulzir.jpg
Wow, this dude really left an impression on us, huh. Hey, bro, wanna hit the whorehouse after this shit is done?

grotak.jpg
Again with this nonsense. We are at a funeral. This is neither the time nor the place.

ulzir.jpg
God. Where did all the fun dwarves go.

Vanessa.jpg
What did you say, young man? I'm sure the others would also love to share this story. Don't be ashamed.

ulzir.jpg
Ah, nothing, nothing, continue.

Alais takes a step forward, then, before the situation can further degenerate. Of them all she seems to have been the closest to the Professor, and she paints a pretty different picture of the deceased.

alais.jpg
It feels like forever since I first met him. A little girl living in the gutters. I guess the story would have ended there had it not been for this kind man that offered helping hand to that girl and her brother, that wanted to rob him blind. To this day I have no clue what he had seen in me, and why he decided to pay tuition for a ragtag orphan but deeply from my heart, I cannot express how grateful I am. I hope I have not betryed what he taught me and I never will.

However, the whispering resumes halfway through her eulogy...

ulzir.jpg
Would someone please face the elephant in the room and ask about the necromancy thing?

While the dwarf tries, again, to calm down the half-elf, Edgar takes a step forward, which given his character and inclination must have taken a truly herculean effort. His tale, however, is not going to do much for their reputation around town. If I understand at all the way the locals filter sensorial information nothing but sorcery, heresy, and being hanged up is getting to the sinister gulf between the ears.

edgar.jpg
Once, many years ago, that good man saved my l-life: I was to be be hang up for an injust accusation of supposed sorcery and heresy, when that man convinced everyone else that it was only a misunderstanding. I th-thanked him for that, he said that it was nothing, but he would like to pay him back for this favor. I waited many, many years for him to call me and follow through the end of the bargain. Unfortunately, the call never arrived. I'm truly sorry for his death, I was ready to do anything to pay him back. May he find peace in the afterlife.

Vanessa, meanwhile, decides to keep her peace. In the one hand she probably already spent all his reserve of social luck for the day. In the other, what was she going to say? "After I saved his life by mere accident we became kind of friends and held the ocasional very interesting discussion in the topic of fey, sorcery, and fey sorcery. But please, don't worry, neither of us were sorcerers. Honest. And have I told you the story about that day he and I... Oh, gods, look at the time! To cut it short, He was truly a scholar of things both theoretical and empirical. That's all."

So after a short while, and not a few more smart ass half-elf comments, later the ceremony came to an end. Kendra gave her thanks to all there and, once the mourning lot has exchanged the usual condolences, hugs, promises of being there for each other that neither party has the least intention of living up to, and dispersed she comes to our group and invites them to the Lorrimor estate to attend the reading of the professor's will. Since the magistrate is not due until at least half an hour later the group takes the long way around town, going through what passes for downtown here. Barely. Conceptually, even.

Regardless of context, though, this means but one thing: Vanessa and Alais are leaving all their grief behind and engaging their store raiding protocols. Before long the sorceress has bought a parasol to protect herself from the rain and the wizardess removes a smoking pipe from inventory. And you can safely asume that implied not a small amount of trying different models of parasol and smoking pipe, spending quite some time discussing how this parasol highlights the sorceress' bust if held like this and that smoking pipe, being held just like that by the wizardress lips, sugest a great many things without ever going near being unsubtle about it, trying what each other's browsing just for laughts, and finally buying the very first parasol and smoking pipe they saw upon reaching the stores. It included a lot of giggling and gesturing, too.

ulzir.jpg
I knew having women in the party would lead to EXCITING parasol purchasing.

Luckily for the half elf's sanity that's all kind of abstracted into about three lines. Something like...

vanessa.jpg
Can I get a parasol?

alais.jpg
Can I get a smoking pipe?

DM.jpg
Sure.

Wasted potential, let me tell you. The dwarf, meanwhile, makes a point on keeping his eyes peeled for anything unusual going on the streets, and Edgar enjoys whatever sights the quaint little place has to offer, which more or less amounts to about fourty houses, a bunch of orchards, two covered bridges, half a dozen shops, and a temple. Yay!

In any case, as they walk towards the Lorrimo estate, taking their sweet time as indicated, they come across something the dwarf can, without second thoughts, label as unusual: Five little girls are playing a skipping rope game at one side of the road, each of them taking turns to jump the rope while reciting two lines from a quite sinister song. The entire thing comes out as very well planned and executed, with a good enough timing in the reciting, the skiping, and the going from jumping to taking their places at the ropes' ends without ever stoping as to be qualified of coreography.

The song goes as follows.

Put her body on the bed.
Take a knife and lop her head.

Watch the blood come out the pipe.
Feeds the stirge, so nice and ripe.

Drops of red so sparkly bright.
Splatters spell her name just right.

With a hammer killed his wife.
Now he wants to claim your life.

Tricksy father tells a lie.
Listen close or you will die.

Vanessa.jpg
Charming.

alais.jpg
Hmm. How curious.

The team's wizardess believes the song to be describing a ritual used to create a flesh golem.

alais.jpg
Anyone recognizes this song?

edgar.jpg
Yes, I recognize the song. It is a couple of decades old, it's been sung here since shortly after the old prison of Harrowstone burned down.

alais.jpg
Let's investigate a little further. Girls, what a funny song are you singing. Will you teach me?

As she approaches the girls they stop playing and stand, kind of half to attention and half nervously, while throwing timid glances at her and her companions. A certain half-elf, since we are at it, decides not to help the situation at all.

ulzir.jpg
Talking to girls, about songs. How adventurous!

Vanessa.jpg
Forgive my scary friend, little girls. What we mean is, that's a really interesting song you are singing. Would you teach me to sing it too? I would love to, this game looks like so much fun.

The girls relax after a while of niceness and a lot of hidding the half-elf from their sight. They seem to take into teaching Alais and Vanessa their little song with a great deal of enthusiasm, and they even explain to them it is but a song people has been singing since, like, forever. Alais rewards the girls with a copper coin each, and Vanessa then spends a little taking advantage of her youth to play and sing and have fun with the girls. And this is, obviously, in no measure related to project let's make the locals think of me as a nice and caring girl instead of an evil witch. Nosiree, not at all.

In another corner of the town's square, meanwhile, the Dwarf is giving a piece of his mind to the half-elf and his attitude, and an alchemist who is far too responsible and serious to play and sing with little girls is arriving at the Lorrimor estate much earlier than the rest of the party. Some would say his completely unsubtle infatuation with Miss Kendra has also a part on this, but that's libel and nothing else. I swear.

Kendra smiles nervously as she leads him into the house.

kendra.jpg
Oh... Edgar, was it? You'll have to forgive if I am a bit of a mess. It was lovely, what you said about father at the funeral.

edgar.jpg
Thanks. I ask pardon for the previous outburst, I swear I didn't knew these odd people, I never expected them to react so... violently.

The girl sighs, and completely misunderstands him. I'll be asuming that's because she doesn't want to think of her father as someone to share a close bond with such a backstabbing little bookworm.

kendra.jpg
People have always been superstitious around here. And most of the group that showed up today were local farmhands of low character. I wish I could say I was surprised.

Some small, nervous, and slightly akward small talk follows, and by then the others have made their way to the estate. Shortly thereafter, and on the exact time he had announced he would arrive, councilman Vashian, the magistrate, arrives with a scroll case, sealed with the professor's personal seal, containing both the deceased's will and a small key everyone chooses to ignore for now even when it falls to the table with quite a clank!

---> click here to read the will <---

edgar.jpg
So be it. I swear I'll help you, miss Kendra, on everything you require.

ulzir.jpg
My dwarven friend, we shall gorge ourselves on wine and wenches with our newfound wealth!

His work done the magistrate is given leave and Kendra, after short deliberation, informs our heroes she will need at least a few weeks to decide whether she wants to sell the family home or remain on Ravengro. While she stays, at least, she wants the party to remain as well as was indicated in the will, and offers free room and board in the estate, which is by no means small, for everyone. She then leaves for a little while, returning with the chest the will mentioned. She leaves it over the table and gestures towards the key.

kendra.jpg
I think... perhaps I should excuse myself. If father did not wish me burdened with this, then I will respect his wishes.

grotak.jpg
Before you leave kendra... First of all again, I offer my condolences. But forgive me I have to ask... under which circumstances exactly did your father - out beloved friend - meet his demise?

kendra.jpg
Oh, it was terrible. A freak accident. He was spelunking near the old ruins when a gargoyle fell on him.

edgar.jpg
What?

ulzir.jpg
Splat.

Vanessa.jpg
:roll:

grotak.jpg
Do you know by any chance what he was doing at an old ruin?

kendra.jpg
I suppose it was only a matter of time before something like that happened. The whole place has been falling apart for years.

Vanessa.jpg
Excuse me. May I ask which ruins are those?

kendra.jpg
The Harrowstone prison. He was obsessed with the place, always sneaking out at night to lurk around in the vicinity.

grotak.jpg
The old one that burned down?

kendra.jpg
Yes. It's been crumbling for years. It's not unheard-of for parts of it to cave in.

Vanessa.jpg
The Harrowstone prison. The one related to the old song children sing while playing, right?

kendra.jpg
Oh, that dreadful song. Yes, I think I heard something about it being connected. I'm not much of a historian I'm afraid. Anyway *sniff* if it's all right with you, I need to be alone to think for a while

alais.jpg
Who did find the body?

kendra.jpg
The sheriff's men. They went out looking for him after he went missing and found him near the ruins with the gargoyle...

She looks about ready to break out in tears. Grotak puts a hand on Kendra's should and gives her a mournful face. Naturally, this is in no way related to Edgar not being the only one pursuing the sad depressed girl in her moment of weakness. At all, they are all upstanding members of the community, always ready to offer a shoulder to cry on and a friendly pat on the back.

edgar.jpg
My friends, miss Lorrimor needs a bit of time for herself.

alais.jpg
Please Miss Lorrimor, do not despair. We'll honour profesor's will with utmost dedication.

Kendra delays her departure just long enough to get them tea and crumpets.

grotak.jpg
This is all very curious. I wonder what became of that gargoyle.

alais.jpg
It was an inanimate gargoyle, methinks.

grotak.jpg
Even if it was inanimate, Alais, who says it wasn't loosened or pushed by someone?

edgar.jpg
I'll open the chest, if you don't mind.

Vanessa.jpg
Sure. Go ahead.

Edgar tries the key. Before he gets the chance to try and turn it Vanessa is near the door, and everyone else's discussing the best procedure to discover any trap the chest might hold, and the best methods to use while following such procedure. Almost everyone else, at least.

alais.jpg
Paranoia?

Alchemist, half-elf, and dwarf all cluster around the object. They check it for signs of traps from every angle, cover every centimeter of its surface with wary eyes while muttering among themselves about dwarven instincts, deadly traps, detect magic cantrips, and more. They find absolutely nothing.

alais.jpg
FFS, I am opening the chest! I AM OPENING IT!

Both her and Edgar have reached for the chest at the same time, and they raise the cover together. In retrospective, you have to give that doesn't count as much as chance as it does as sheer synchronicity, or even predestination. The team's two socially akward brainiacs reaching for the fated artifact at the same time, their hands softly and timidly touching each other, a rush of warmth ascending up from their fingers, stabing heart and numbing brain with naught but a slight tremble of the extremities, a soft blush on the cheeks, and the hands at the same time trying to remove themselves from each other's touch and trying to prolong the conection as evidence of the inner turmoil thus awoken.

Or, at least that's Vanessa's version of the events that transpired as they both reached for the box at the exact same time, and future events would show how finely crafted her Calistrian's senses are. Anyways, she must have had a hard time keeping the giggling and squeeeing under control while they actually raised the cover. Everyone's expecting an explosion.

edgar.jpg
There.

Inside there are several old tomes, along a comparatively new one. The odd one out is placed atop the others, "read me now!" inscribed on its cover.

alais.jpg
A sure sign I should not touch it.

grotak.jpg
We should save that one for last.

ulzir.jpg
Screw this magic business.

The half elf places himself as removed from the books as geographically possible without leaving the room. Vanessa takes a seat at the table, serves herself a cup of tea, and lets the brainy duo do the boring stuffies while she has some crumpets. Edgar and Alais check the books that don't say "read me now!" in the cover, first. They find those to be quite an interesting collection of texts, and if a single one of those was by the general populace discovered to have been the professor's his body would probably get exhumed, desecrated, and burned in an orgy of supertitious furor before the party can even begin to explain, though by then, and after being themselves in contact with those, they would probably be too busy trying to skip town as to care.

The first one is a jet black tome called On verified madness. It goes on and on with treatises and essays detailing astrological observations and occult lore regarding the almost unknown region known as the dark tapestry, the dark gulf between the night sky's stars where true madness is said to inhabit. It also goes into great detail about those aberrations that while being found residing on Golarion possess remote ties linking them to such a place, but given those creatures have probably more eyes than tentacles, more tentacles than mouths, more mouths than teeth, and more teeth than eyes it is better to spare no thought for them.

The next one is none other than Serving your hunger, one of the many profane texts detailing the faith of Urgathoa, whose office is that of gluttony, disease, and undeath. Between its covers are said to dwell not only treatises and notes on the goddess' philosophies, values, and tenets of faith but also several extravant and, if one's to believe the rumors, sinister cooking recipes, as well as works detailing several methods by which to reach undeath. Lorrimor himself seems to have written many notes on its margins.

The third one is none other than the umbral leaves, a translation into the common tongue of the most holy book to the faith of Zon-Kuthon, the midnight lord, whose office is envy, pain, darkness, and loss. It is a volume written in blood and on pages of carefully, almost lovingly, prepared flayed skin, or at least that's what the rummors say about how the original, and most copies, look. Vanessa went and focused on her crumpets and her tea as soon as she heard the name being read aloud, and prefers to be left in obscurity and ignorance about it. And about the other ones, too, if possible. What ever happened to the actually glamorous and cool evil gods? Did they all pack and went be awesomely villanous in some distant corner of the multiverse or something? Gee.

Anyway. The fourth, and final, volume is a book with covers of a rich purple color rimmed in polished steel and clasped with an intrincate, if small, lock. A brass scarab with a single eye on its back is the centrepiece of the cover, and on the spine it can be read Manual of the order of the palatine eye. After closer examination our heroes discover the key needed to open the lock seems to be a weird one with a triangular shaft, and no such artifact they find regardless of how much they look into the now almost empty chest.

edgar.jpg
Interesting...

Vanessa.jpg
Does someone knows of that order?

They try really hard to remember anything of importance about the mentioned order but nothing comes up before they give up in frustration, which must mean it's some really obscure piece of trivia. Alright, that's not completely true: Something does comes up. Alais tries really, really hard. So hard, in fact, that all of a sudden she's quite sure it might be a quite famous traveling theatre troupe she knows of. Then she notices what she just said and accuses the giggling, tea drinking, crumpet eating fairy wanabe of jinxing her rolls, whatever that may be. Maybe it's true reading ancient evil books does wonders to your sanity score.

Meanwhile Edgar, after accepting his own ignorance on the topic, tries to pick the lock, but no matter how carefully he goes about it and how very hard he tries the lock just ignores him. If it had a mouth it would probably laught at him, too.

grotak.jpg
What do you think? could the key be hidden somewhere in this house or does the recipient hold the key?

ulzir.jpg
Let's search the house.

alais.jpg
Ehh...

grotak.jpg
Searching the whole house for a key is like searching a hey stack for a needle.

Vanessa.jpg
Let's read the journal first.

ulzir.jpg
Ok, journal first. Then ransacking the place.

edgar.jpg
Good idea. Let's read the journal.

alais.jpg
I am doing the reading. Check it for magic, before it explodes in my face.

ulzir.jpg
And traps!

edgar.jpg
And suddenly the book moves, it's a demon in disguise.

Vanessa.jpg
What's the point of the professor leaving a bomb to us?

alais.jpg
Detect magic, please. It's a dangerous book.

edgar.jpg
Paranoia, dear.

DM.jpg
Much to your dismay, the professor has not prepared any deadly traps to kill the people whom he included in his will. :roll:

Vanessa.jpg
It's just a journal!

ulzir.jpg
Read it, bro.

grotak.jpg
Do it. Do it now.

alais.jpg
Ok. Give them letters a nice kick in them arse, I will.

In the end, Edgar takes the book and starts reading while the others bicker and discuss and debate and tell one another to go and open the damn thing already.

Vanessa.jpg
You know you are in trouble when the timid scholar's the only one with initiative.

It was, in fact, the professor's journal, covering several years of life, adventures, and research. A few of the entries have been recently circled in red.

---> Click here to read the journal's circled entries. <---

edgar.jpg
Mein gott!

ulzir.jpg
Crypts! Adventure! Killing! Now that's more like it.

edgar.jpg
If what the pages say its true, we have to do something!

grotak.jpg
In order to do so we should take a look at the list at the temple. See if the professor left any further clues.

alais.jpg
First, we must lay our hands on the items the professor wrote about.

grotak.jpg
The temple is right here in town.

edgar.jpg
Before, I would like to go to the library and search for more information. Oh, and warn Kendra.

grotak.jpg
Also, this Whispering Way... Has anybody ever heard of them before?

Both of the party's bookish types had, though without access to a library and some focused research the information at their disposal was superficial and spotty at best. Still, Edgar explained what he knew to the others: "The Whispering Way is a sinister organization of necromancers that has been active in the Inner Sea region for thousands of years. Agents of the Whispering Way often seek alliances with undead creatures, or are themselves undead. The Whispering Way’s most notorious member was Tar-Baphon, the Whispering Tyrant, although the society itself has existed much longer than even that mighty necromancer. The Whispering Way itself is a series of philosophies that can only be transferred via whispers— the philosophies are never written or spoken of loudly, making the exact goals and nature of the secretive philosophy difficult for outsiders to learn much about."

alais.jpg
It seems Grotak was right. The Professor WAS killed.

Vanessa.jpg
We should make further research on the prison and those... necromancers... our priority.

grotak.jpg
So this all has to do with the old prison. The girls that were singing the song... They mentioned something about knowing how to spell a name.

edgar.jpg
I guess it's time to go to the library and do some research. Who wants to come with me?

Vanessa.jpg
I'll be hitting the bars and mingling with the locals. I could do with an escort, and it will be funnier than the library for sure. Who's in?

grotak.jpg
I'll accompany you, Vanessa. Only to keep you out of trouble.

DM.jpg
Monocledwarf suaves again!

alais.jpg
I am the library type of girl.

edgar.jpg
I suggest we separate and do our own investigations. We should go to the ruins as soon as possible.

grotak.jpg
Perhaps you could also stop by the temple and have a look at that list, Alais?

alais.jpg
I'll stick with Edgar.

ulzir.jpg
I'll stay with Alais and Edgar.

edgar.jpg
So much for investigating separately.

grotak.jpg
Say, Vanessa, do you remember this song the girls were telling you about? what was the deal with the name spelling?

Vanessa.jpg
"Splatter spells his name..."

grotak.jpg
I would suggest stopping by the temple. The priests there might have knowledge about such things, and they got the list the professor was looking into. But before we depart, is there anything we need to discuss with Kendra first? Or take a look around the house in general.

edgar.jpg
I think we should warn her, her life could be in danger. I'll ask her for the library then.

alais.jpg
Councilman Vashian could know a thing or two.

Vanessa.jpg
We'll go hit the bars and the temple, then.

grotak.jpg
Ay, and try not to throw around too much magic this time if possible.

Meanwhile, Edgar has gone to find Kendra and ask her about the libraries in town. He also forgets about telling her about his father as he just said he wanted to, but that's probably what happens if you go and check whether or not the umbral leaves is actually written in blood upon carefully, almost lovingly prepared flayed skin. A lesson is to be found there, fo' shoo.

kendra.jpg
Hmmmm... I could think if a few places, Edgar. There's my fathers library on the second floor. You're welcome to it. Also, Ravengro town hall has a lot of old town records, but they might require convincing befor ethey let you look through the sealed records. There's the temple of pharasma of course. But again, they usually only let members of the clergy or respected members of the faith into their archives.

edgar.jpg
Anything else? Is there some sort of university here?

kendra.jpg
Hm.. closest thing to an university would be the unfurling scroll. It's a magic shop and scrollhouse run by Alendru Ghoroven. Most people avoid it.

And then the team broke into epic bickering, debating, argumenting, and discussing. Edgar proposed, again, for the group to split and for everyone to search one of those sites individually as to save time and maximise their potential findings. Vanessa, meanwhile, insisted on hitting the bars and hunting for rumors, tall tales, and local folklore as she wasn't the library type of gal, and insisted on not breaking the team too much as they were still strangers in a very suspicious, very xenophobic, and potentially very hostile enviroment, at most sending Alais with Ulzir to the archives or the temple, going herself with Grotak to mingle with the locals, and Edgar staying to research the Lorrimor estate library. Ulzir wanted to check the second floor, and thus decided to stay with Edgar even when the alchemist wanted to send everyone to do something different.

After a while they seemed about to accept Vanessa's plan, but Grotak then reminded them Kendra should be considered a potential target of the Necromancers who had killed her father. Alais, meanwhile, started kind discussing with Edgar who was going to do the Lorrimor estate library and who the archives, and considered maybe they should just focus both on the estate's library instead. Edgar, then, decided instead they should take the chance to introduce themselves one another, which gave the party another reason to discuss and bicker and argue.

When they finally decided to get the introductions done it was late in the afternoon.

edgar.jpg
I'll introduce myself first. I'm Edgar Lovecraft. I make my living working as an alchemist. Some would say that we are nothing but a bunch of pseudo-wizards but that's not the case, we study magic focusing on chemistry and the powers of maths. I can craft magical potions and also unstable devices that you could call 'bombs' for combat.

Vanessa.jpg
Lovecraft? What a curious name, I say. Pleasured to meet you.

edgar.jpg
Well, mother said that I was named after my granfather, sadly he died before I was born.

Vanessa.jpg
Ah, the name of an ancestor? I thought it was more... descriptive.

Ulzir, always the patient one, jumps in and tries to move things along as fast and rudely as possible.

ulzir.jpg
ok then: i'm ulzir, i'm a ranger, and I was born in a whorehouse, a product of a brief intercourse between a human father and an elf courtesan.

Which in turn leads to Edgar completely ignoring him and continuing about his craft and the wonders of mutagenic agents.

edgar.jpg
Lastly but not least, there's the mutagens, special potions that give me special effects. Unfortunately, they're very... 'Unpleasant', the body's mutations are an horrible sight to behold.

Maybe noticing they just discovered what makes the alchemist tick and that they are going to spend the whole night listening him go on about explosions, genetical abominations, hidden labs, and angry mobs with torches and pitchforks running him out of towns is that Alais decides to quickly and quietly intrude.

alais.jpg
Alais. A dabbler in arcane arts and specialist in forensic postmortem examination. Pleased to make acquaintance...

Contrary to what just happened when the half-elf decided to try and move things along her interruption actually strikes some soft, mushy spot and forces the alchemist into telling her how much of a pleasure it is for him to met her and that other guy who just talked but he had not noticed until now. Aha. Tell me more.

edgar.jpg
A pleasure to meet you, Alais and Ulzir.

Continues below...

Chapter the first, part the second.
In which the above post is continued, duh.

That's strike two for Vanessa's theory of budding romance! As far as she's concerned they are by now walking around with their pinkies' tied to each other's by a long and shiny crimson thread. She and the dwarf, in any case, prefer to just let the introductions be forgotten, even if this does nothing for her but get to awake her curiousity about the dwarf's past. In any case Ulzir either took the hint or just decided to be himself at the right time.

ulzir.jpg
Let's get on with the exploring, what do you say?

Alais then goes to ask Kendra permision to peruse the estate's library, which she obtains without the least difficulty. Grotak, meanwhile, tries to get permision to search through the professor's belongings in search of clues that could shed some light into her father's accident. The proposal was receive with a kind of quizzical look, probably because as far as she was concerned her father's death was nothing but an accident and those need no reasons to be thrown light upon, but the dwarf still got allowed to do it if he so desired.

Naturally, our heroes then regressed into their bitching selves. Should they tell her about their father's murder or not? Who would be the one keeping an eye on her after all? What would qualify as conclusive evidence they are not deluding themselves or going paranoid? Afterwards, Edgar has an actually pretty good idea: See what language, other than the common tongue, they can all speak and use that one, instead of of the common tongue, to talk among themselves. The plan, good as it was, did not survive the simple fact Vanessa's obsession with her fey heritage had made her study nothing but the fey tongues, Sylvan and Aklo, which probably no one else had bothered to learn because, hey, what are the unicorns to elves and evil pixies to orcs ratio through the career of the normal adventurer, again? That's what I thought.

In any case, the half of the team that was going to remain in the estate doing research started arguing about whether or not should they proceed straight to the second floor, what should they research into, how should they research into it, and more. Vanessa and Grotak took this as their clue for leaving, fast.

Vanessa.jpg
Alright, then. Have fun spending your evening reading old books at candlelight, and whatever it is you scholars do. Shall we go?

She offers her arm to the dwarf, who takes it with a wink.

grotak.jpg
Let's see if we can find a fitting... companion for you at the Inn.

Once they left Ulzir spent his time bored as something really, really bored while the alchemist and the wizardess had a nerdgasm and found some real bookworm chemisty there. They talked about research, they discussed methods of going about research, they researched together with some great coordination and synchronicity, and I'm sure they shared research related anecdotes all the while. I'm thrilled, yes. They even *gasp* talked about sharing spells from their respective spellbooks at a later opportunity! Strike three for Vanessa's theory of buddin geek romance. Call the priest at once! In the end, though, they found nothing of interest on those necromancer guys with their daily research check, probably because they were too busy blushing and smiling nervously and stuffies.

Meanwhile...

Grotak and Vanessa are out clubbing. The dwarf decided it was a great chance to better their local reputations and started buying rounds and trying to socialize with the locals. Vanessa, meanwhile, was trying to look as indefense, demure, and shy as possible, yet interesting and luring enough to make walking bags of rumors and information come to her, and maybe leech them some drinks for herself and the dwarf after milking them dry of local tales and information key to their quest, like who's dating who and who's oogling who, and what this said of that when she wasn't hearing. The dwarf has the wheel, though, sharing stories of adventure and funny anecdotes while trying to steer the conversation towards either ghost stories or the strange song the girls were singing earlier.

In the end the so called sorceress hits it with some local girls, which probably means every single guy in a couple of hundred kilometers around was feeling their ears burn and itch. The dwarf, meanwhile, was going for to buy another round when he bumps into a burly local farmhand.

farmhand.jpg
What the feck kind o' foreign scum do we 'ave here?

grotak.jpg
I'm terribly sorry. I didn't see you standing there. Look I'm just here to have a nice quite chat with the fellows over there.

farmhand.jpg
Oh, I see. The smartarse kind o' foreign scum. I hate that kind.

grotak.jpg
Foreign I may be but we have actually a lot in common. See I hail from the five kings Mountains, ever heard of that place?

Another local comes to the aid of the dwarf, recognizing on him a good and well behaved fellow who's trying to talk some sense into the his drunkard friend and make merry instead of doing what those crazy foreigners usually try do in the stories and rumors, probably related to turning the population of entire villages into pigs or something close enough to be indistinct.

farmhand2.jpg
Ah, leave the shortstuff be, Bors. It's your own damn fault you dont' watch where you put your fat arse.

And thus the dwarf defused a hairy situation with style, flair, manners, and quite a bit of luck, an example *ahem, ahem* more should try to follow. And in any case Vanessa by then has managed to get a small bit of information out of her new friends: It is rumored the Harrowstone prison's executioner still keeps watch over the execution balcony on the western side of the prison, and that in some nights his scyte can be seen patroling the area on its own, like if held by an invisible hand. Other than that, they spend about three hours drinking, carousing, befriending locals, and having people grow slightly more acustomed to their presences.

grotak.jpg
Now that went well... at least we made some friends among the locals.

Vanessa.jpg
Indeed. And you did solve that quite gracefuly, back there. I'm impressed.

grotak.jpg
What do you think, Vanessa? Do you want to stay here and let this night end in true dwarven fashion or go back to the mansion and have a good night's sleep?

She tries to get the aproximated time of the day, or night, and concludes it's about ten PM. Gee, back where she's from this is, like, the time to get breakfast!

Vanessa.jpg
Would you mind acompanying me somewhere else before we return?

grotak.jpg
No problem, let me just refill my drinking horn real quick at the bar... you know to straigthen the streets when I walk. *hicks* Where were you planning on taking us, if I might inquire?

Vanessa.jpg
To the temple. There's a priest we have to present our thanks to.

She accompanies those words with a wink.

grotak.jpg
Of course - let's make haste before they close up shop. I gotta say, you might be one of the first humans I actually like. But that pointy ear... there's something about him that I just don't like.

Vanessa.jpg
Must be the sociopathy.

Along the way they get use their amazing drunkard powers to get lost several times, pick the weirdest and most indirect routes from a point to the next, and run some circles. Then they notice they are back at the town square, where they began their quest in search of a certain temple, but by then their almost random wanderings did help them locate almost every single in place of interest along the eastern bank of the river. And one, in particular, calls for their attention.

grotak.jpg
Oh, we actually got a second inn!

Vanessa.jpg
We should take note for further research down the line, yes.

They return their attention to the quest at hand, but by the time they finally manage to get to the temple the place is closed.

DM.jpg
Pharasma being a humorless and serious deity and all.

Vanessa.jpg
Closed at ten? This is a boring little town alright. Back in the temples I used to know, the day was just begining.

grotak.jpg
I guess we have no choice but return on the morrow. I wouldn't dare anger the population any more by taking a look without permission.

Vanessa.jpg
It's an omen. We should keep at our research for tonight, it says. Yes. It does.

grotak.jpg
You convinced me... not that it was that hard to begin with! Let's laugh that demon into it's face!

And then the started the journey back to the laughing demon, the town's second inn. The stumbling route to which the dwarf actually roleplayed on the map, walking on circles and picking completely wrong directions included, while the focus went back to group at the estate, the concentration of which, still involved in their research, is broken by the sound of loud off-key singing passing by just outside the window. Edgar investigates, discovering a tiny girl and a short fat man doing an impromptu dance through the streets while singing something about the knob at the end of a wizard's staff.

Back at The Laughing Demon our pair of very dutiful and dedicated researchers have gone way beyond the call of duty and honor. They dwarf sacrifices his discipline, an four big and round gold coins, into an altar of fancy drinks and cocktails for the two of them, making this the one dwarf with the best taste in drinks in the history of high fantasy.

DM.jpg
One of them even has a tiny parasol in it.

By that hour everyone on the streets or the inn is fairly done for, or at least those who aren't sleeping on their tables or unconscious on the floor are, and the rumor mill works on its own. They get two little pieces, interesting enough as for our heroes to remember them the next morning. First, someone tells them the stories about Harrowstone being haunted are nothing but tall tales, but that such a simple truth doesn't means there aren't dangerous things lurking there and waiting for a careless breakfast to pass by. Then, they are told the food at the Laughing Demon isn’t all fun and games, and that it is no simple coincidence that Zokar serves more corpse chowder after the most unpopular merchants "leave town", never to be seen again. This goes along a warning about being very careful around Zokar and remembering to politely decline if he ever invites them into the Demon’s back room for a complimentary taste of that evening’s chowder.

While other adventurers, mighty warriors armed to teeth, or even at all, and covered in things more armored than what amounts to a dress made of holes, the capricious whims of fashion, and a comparatively small amount of strategically placed fabric would have laughted at such a fancy story the world looks very different from where a certain sorceress' standing, so she actually...

Vanessa.jpg
Gee. First and last visit.

... goes and takes it seriously while horrible images of getting choped into small bloody chunks by an smelly, fat, bald guy with a cleaver, stained cheff apparel, and a repugnantly dirty, coughing laughter fill her mind with dread. In retrospective she would prefer if you all just forgot that ever happened.

And before they notice it's already morning and they are awakening in the Lorrimor estate, fully dressed and with quite a headache, to a great commotion on the streets. Not a long time goes by before the reason for the commotion is discovered: The Harrowstone Memorial, according to some sources the only thing in town that could be considered even remotely notable, has been desecrated during the night! The sheriff and a couple of watchmen have gone there earlier, and the locals are not at all happy about what transpired. Whispers are exchanged.

grotak.jpg
Did I... come by the Harrowstone last night?!

Vanessa.jpg
I don't think so. We barely made it here, much less the extra lenght.

grotak.jpg
Ok... did you drink last night or was it me? Because right now I'm thinking it was you who was actually drunk.

alais.jpg
Considering that both of you dunderheads crawled here on their fours I say there was no evident winner. So what's the plan for today?

edgar.jpg
I'll go and check the apothecary's store before continuing with the research, maybe he has something of interest.

grotak.jpg
Shouldn't we see what this commotion is all about? The townsfolk might point fingers at the only outsiders in town...

edgar.jpg
Don't forget that they may blame us anyways for being outsiders. Especially considering what happened at the cementery.

grotak.jpg
That's the point. Maybe we can put the blame on the right people. Also it could help our investigation.

edgar.jpg
Well, as long as I have enough time to go to the apothecary, I don't mind. We should check if Karren is ok before doing that, though.

Vanessa.jpg
And we should visit the temple later today.

alais.jpg
Hmm... I fear we can draw attention that way even more.

grotak.jpg
Much to do - but talking won't achieve any of those things.

The discussion then turns into a strange debate about whether or not the five strange foreigners should use magic and mundane means to disguise themselves as a different set of five strange foreigners, or something. And it goes completely downhill from there. Violently infiltrating a perfectly peaceful and friendly place, an almost constant stream of non sequiturs, and a party dangerously close to completely ignoring the events that just got the entire town in an uproar to instead read old dusty books and visit the apothecary. Just, like, what? Don't worry, probably neither do most of us know what happened there. Just roll with it.

edgar.jpg
We could pretend we're one of the monks and infiltrate the place. After knocking him down and borrowing his clothes, of course.

grotak.jpg
The town is pretty small you would think they'd know every person that works there.

alais.jpg
And when the monks come about, what will we say?

Vanessa.jpg
Why don't we just visit the temple, talk with the monks, be nice and sociable, and let them make themselves helpful? No knocking out, no infiltrating, no stealing, not angry mobs?

alais.jpg
Vanessas's plan is the best one.

edgar.jpg
So be it, let's go to the memorial.

grotak.jpg
So to the monument it is?

alais.jpg
Yes. If time permits we can return to the research that day.

grotak.jpg
Or the temple.

Vanessa.jpg
To the memorial, then. One way or another the name 'harrowstone' seems to be trying to get our attention.

alais.jpg
Harrowstone. Once that's covered I am going back to the library.

And to the memorial they went, to find it naught but a twenty five foot tall statue of a muscular man dressed in leathers and wielding a truncheon, which, I am guessing because of a tourist sign they spied about or something, tells us is a depiction of one Warden Hawkran, though the moss may be a poetic liberty. From there the ruins of Harrowstone, on a hill not far away, can be easily seen.

Upon getting closer to the site more details jump to their attention. First, there are twenty five names chiseled into the statue's stone base, which they haven't yet had enough time to wonder in which way are they related to Harrowstone and, thus, to their own research. Second, and potentially more important, most of the statue and a great deal of the surrounding area is splattered in blood.

alais.jpg
Fresh, I guess.

And it is in blood, as well, that in the pedestal a V has been painted.

edgar.jpg
Vampires!

Around the statue the local sheriff, a couple of his men, and about two or three dozens of outraged locals can be seen. The sheriff tries his best to keep everyone calm and controlled, yet he doesn't seem very interested in discovering what it was that happened here. Or maybe at least not until everyone has gone his or her own way and he can take a look without anything he founds being grossly missinterpreted and turned into delirious and hysterical stories.

Gossip fills the air, and among the locals indulging on it Vanessa recognizes, like through a dense and kind of ethilic fog, several of those locals she exchanged drinks, stories, and rumors with up until about four hours ago. Deciding to keep playing the same game of trying to become as much of a local in their minds as it is possible she goes and, as if it were the most natural thing to do, starts mingling with them and those they were in turn talking to. What they tell, however, is nothing but wild mass guessing, going straight into the realms of fantasy or delusion at times, and nothing even slightly useful comes from it.

The others have meanwhile gone for the statue and the sheriff. Edgar tries to discover some pattern in the blood splatters but comes to the conclusion nothing but the V is following an actual, artificial pattern. And before long things are going south at the speed of light.

ulzir.jpg
Ah, finally a job for us, sheriff! Let us hunt down the killers! We have the means to do so.

I'm making a wild asumption here, but maybe the fact we had never ever met the sheriff before talking to him with such familiarity did not help our case in the least.

benjan.jpg
And what makes you say there has been a killing, knifeears?

Vanessa.jpg
There we go...

alais.jpg
Again.

edgar.jpg
Don't screw up this time, please.

ulzir.jpg
I just put two and two together. Pretty basic detective work if you ask me, SHERIFF.

benjan.jpg
Please, do speak up. I am very interested to hear what you know of this desecration.

ulzir.jpg
woah, woah. I don't know anything. I'm just here to right wrongs.

The sheriff receives those words by a very exaggeated gesture and an invitation to do so.

benjan.jpg
By all means, enlighten us with your deductive work.

edgar.jpg
Nevermind, we're going to jail.

ulzir.jpg
Allow me to investigate. Move aside.

Discontent grumbling can be heard coming from the locals. They are not taking very well Ulzir, a foreigner and, worst yet, an elf, just badmouthing a dear and well respected member of their community. The half elf ignores both them and the sheriff, though, and looks for traces around the monument. The area has been terribly disturbed by the locals going hysterical about the events yet, after a while of searching and backtracking he comes across a dead rat in the shrubbery, drained of all blood.

He's obviously good at his work, and I'm sure once we leave town and start traveling around the wilderness the roles will get swaped and he will be the one pulling our tails out of the fire time and again, which more than makes up for all of the trouble. However, he just can't let the charming sorceress do the talking. You know, the one thing she's actually good at. Or the centered and mindful dwarf, or the two timid but respectful scholars, who thus far have not enraged entire populations to a point nearing the lynching of five strangers. No, of course not. That would be easy, and we can't have easy. What's life without being thrown to jail or chased out of town, I ask? Boring, that's what!

ulzir.jpg
A-ha! No need to thank me for doing your job, sir.

benjan.jpg
Yes... Bravo. I'm sure the rat's relatives will be thrilled to have the corpse interred in the family crypt.

ulzir.jpg
A dead rat is no small thing, surely.

He points at the corpse, and declares it to be the work of a vampire.

grotak.jpg
Vampires... Yeah.

edgar.jpg
Rat vampires.

The result of such a declaration, however, is not all laughter and jokes. No, the simple indigenous peoples react to the revelation of such a creature in their midst like they this isn't actually related to dead rats but to the end of times. They go paranoid, suspicious, almost hysterical. Superstitious fear surges through them. All of a sudden emotions are flying quite high, and the glances they throw at half-elf make the blood go cold.

ulzir.jpg
What the hell is going on? Er. Now hang on. Let's be civil about this. I was at the lady's house all this time. The lady... THE ONE WITH THE NAME. 'hat the hell is her name?

And this is probably the moment in which everything went really wrong. They are making a scene, and they are insulting what amounts to the local law. Worse yet, they are a bunch of outsiders, two non humans, a mad wizard-scientist, and two straight witches, insulting their human supremacist and magic hating communal pride. And they are telling them the should go and ask this girl they don't even know the name of for their alibi. It goes without mention that's the same girl the locals wanted to beat out of town about a day earlier because she wanted to bury his evil warlock of a father.

Edgar decides to help him, but that probably didn't work as intended given...

edgar.jpg
Karren.

... he gave the wrong name.

benjan.jpg
You heard the knife-ears, people. Let's be civil about this. Him and his friends were *just about to leave*.

He says those words while gesturing towards the town with a thumb. At least he tried as hard as he could to end this with diplomacy, tact, and taste. Regretfully, it was not to be.

ulzir.jpg
You can vouch for me, adventurers.

grotak.jpg
You are only making it worse, Ulzit. Confess now and the sheriff may not sentence you to death.

ulzir.jpg
You...you dungeon-sweeper. I'll deal with you later.

Ah, the beauty of a party turning against itself, publicly. Reputations combust, images are shattered, prides are left in intensive care. Heroes have turned to villainy for much less.

alais.jpg
Enough of this madness!

ulzir.jpg
He plans to get me in trouble.

alais.jpg
Ulzir STFU!

ulzir.jpg
Vanessa, deal with this gentleman. He is obviously beyond my help.

edgar.jpg

Vanessa.jpg
I'm very sorry about this, sir. In the name of all of us I offer you my most sincere apologies for what he has said and done to you, this morning. I'm at your service if you believe reparations are needed.

alais.jpg
Shaeerif, we are sorry for this outburst.

edgar.jpg
He always had trouble making friends.

For an instant everything looks promising. The foreigner troublemakers are actually humiliating themselves in front of the sheriff, asking for understanding and forgiveness, and placing themselves both to his mercy and at his beck and call. And then you have the insinuation... What healthy middle aged man could ignore that coming from a beautiful, charming, refined, quite undressed young lady with a certain fae touch about her? Well, that's it. Vanessa and the brainiacs saved the day. She's so proud of them and herself! Their local reputations can only grow because of this. What could possibly go wrong? I'll tell you what.

ulzir.jpg
I was brought up by whore, what do you expect? I have all the blowjob tips in the world, in case you need them. You look like you do.

grotak.jpg
So, Ulzir... you undermine every effort we are trying to make from the start. You come up with crazy stories about vampires. You "find" that body. Explain yourself, now.

ulzir.jpg
Oh, please. Karen or whatever's her name can vouch for me.

alais.jpg
Lorrinor. Grotak - Do your shit.

grotak.jpg
You know I never trusted your kind and now I know there are good reasons for your kind's 'reputation'.

edgar.jpg
Gentlemen, please stop, this is not the place nor the time to discuss.

alais.jpg
Lorrimor.

edgar.jpg
Karren.

alais.jpg
Keandra Lorrimor.

By now they have just tried to spell the name of their benefactor about half a dozen times and failed every single one of them. They even went and failed at spelling the name of their so dear and beloved friend, to whose honor they were composing eulogies remembering how deeply he touched their lives, less than a day ago. Not to mention involving her in this social disaster while making pretty obvious they are living in the house and eating the food of a girl they can't even care to learn the name about. They are building some bridges, right there.

In any case Ulzir turns away and faces the river, trying to let the discussion die before the party is actually so very screwed they'll need to spend two more weeks rolling characters. After all his antisocial behaviour that was quite unexpected, and commendable. However, things were already out the deep end.

alais.jpg
FFS.

grotak.jpg
Oh great, this solves our dispute! Turn you back on me. I'm watching you, you hear me? I'll keep a close eye on you.

alais.jpg
This is going to be rich!

ulzir.jpg
Trust me, i'll know you're there just by your smell.

The half elf then completely breaks down, goes EMO, and wanders to the river's edge in order to sulk as the fine art of true sulking demands to be practiced. From this moment on, including that last line about the dwarf's smell, all his comments are whispers to no one but himself. Can you see it all tumbling down around them? I can.

And it isn't until then, when their bickering and bitching had died down, that they notice the scene has gone completely silent, completely still. Just visualize the locals: Mouths agape, eyes blank, brains hurting as the scene went in a hysterical crescendo of butthurt. Now they are just standing here, blinking ocassionaly. It is beautiful. Half a dozen city guards had arrived on the scene and were waiting for the sheriff to tell them what where they supossed to do. They probably are as lost as everyone else is.

edgar.jpg
Okay, now we're TRULY fucked.

ulzir.jpg
What else would they stare at? we're the first interesting thing they've seen since their mother's milky tits.

benjan.jpg
Praise Pharasma, I have seen an omen of the future!

Vanessa.jpg
Oh...

By now she's thinking he totally lost it instead of, say, thinking he's being sarcastic or something. Which is probably a testament of what she has to put up with to the point of familiarity.

alais.jpg
And pray you tell us what was it that you saw?

Edgar spends the next couple of seconds contemplating his chances to run away. Maybe even his chances of surviving jumping into the river and swiming to freedom.

benjan.jpg
You five jolly creatures are all going to follow me, peacefully, to my lovely dwelling. And we're going to have a nice and civil chat. Won't that just be marvellous?

grotak.jpg
May I ask for what reasons you want us to accompany you?

edgar.jpg
Besides making a scene and insulting him?

Benjan Caeller, the sheriff, smiles a bright smile.

DM.jpg
The kind that is usually attached to a fin poking out of the water.

ulzir.jpg
This guy is madder than the guys i've teamed up with.

alais.jpg
Considering our situation... let's be done with it.

Vanessa.jpg
Of course we will, sir. There's no need for violence nor disagreement. As I said, I very sorry for their actions, and am at your service for any reparations needed.

benjan.jpg
Let's go with disturbing the peace for starters and see what we drum up from there. It gives me time to figure out how to make it fun.

Vanessa is, by now, despairing. She decides to try and take the situation back to that point in time when they still had a chance to stop everything from collapsing, but to no avail. Things are already too messed up for this to be solved with nice words and ambiguous promises. The idea of her spending days, if not weeks, if not months, if not years, if not eons not only in some dirty, dark, dank dungeon but, much less glamorously, in some backwater's idea of such is just too much for her to keep her wits and class about. Her personality more or less collapses into throwing herself at his feet and thinking nice thoughts.

Vanessa.jpg
I sure can help you with that.

grotak.jpg
Pray why take us all into custody? The only one you had an argument with was the knifeear.

ulzir.jpg
I'll choke you with your own beard i swear.

alais.jpg
You IDIOTS! STFU, and up in line like good ducklings! Jebus christ. Fine.

edgar.jpg
So be it, we're fucked.

What will happen with our heroes, now? Will they manage to actually get their shit together? Will Vanessa survive languishing in such an unfashionable place long enough to save the universe? Will Edgar get to blow something up before the inminent end? Will Ulzir finally get to kill something, anything, whatever it is? Will Alais be able to go back to her books and leave all this stupid adventuring and socializing to her maladjusted companions? Will the dwarf keep being so reasonable and mature as for me not to be able to make any jokes about him?

You will just have to wait, and wonder.

Mrowak

Arcane
By the all lords of Chaos... Almost exact transcription of our misadventures :dizzy:

Mah reputation on teh dex is ruined, foreva!!! :hangs head down in shame:

But seriously:

:bravo:

Jesus, just reading that stuff again makes this day a whole lot better. :lol:

The bar has risen high. I volunteer to transcribe our next adventure.

@ Codex

As you can see things can get REALLY out of hand when 5 people starts talking to the same NPC at the time on one chat. I see that some of the messages I sent to others were interpreted as direct to a totally different person. :lol:

Serves me right for being indirect.

Quilty

Magister
Excellent work! Thanks for putting so much effort into it. :salute:

I had a great time playing with you bros. Sorry for trolling the sheriff so much, though.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
That pretty neatly sums up everything that happened. Major props to totally-not-Black-Cat for lovingly removing all the OOC banter from the chatlogs. :salute:

It'll be interesting to see if you're let off with a stern talking-to by the sheriff or you all end up as prison wives next time! :M

I'll make sure to have Grobig the half-ogre cellmate ready by then!

Mrowak

Arcane
BTW, Ulminat - before I forget. Since I'll be doing the next writeup, a crucial piece of info - do RP tools have 'save chatlog automatically' feature? I know you can save chatlog manually, but you know how randomly people can get kicked out for no reason.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Mrowak said:
BTW, Ulminat - before I forget. Since I'll be doing the next writeup, a crucial piece of info - do RP tools have 'save chatlog automatically' feature? I know you can save chatlog manually, but you know how randomly people can get kicked out for no reason.

It does at that. Altough I reccomend also saving manually every now and again just to be sure.

Also, I guess I really need to sit down and learn how to script RPtools so we can hurry combat along a bit. Given how long we spent with just 6 1st level commoners, with no weapons, that would flee at taking any damage whatsoever and all. We need some shortcuts :D

lightbane

Arcane
:what: Well, that was more akward than I thought when I was playing. We really need a different chat, you accidentally confused some things I said out of characters as Edgar's comments, like this one:

"And suddenly the book moves, it's a demon in disguise. "
Edgar's monocle shatters due to the repentine stress and the surprise. Given that must have someohow violated every single physical law I ever heard about, which aren't really that many, I'm asuming it's somehow related to his nature as a budding mad scientist and move along. Never trust those guys, I say.

That's a running gag I was planning to do (if the GM does not mind): Edgar's monocle will occasionally shatter and break, depending on the circumstances. Thankfully, he has an unlimited supply.

Edgar attacks that very same one with his light crossbow, mumbling something about trying to not hurt the peasant badly. With a crossbow and at a pretty close distance, yes.
Hey, an arrow to the knee is not lethal, no? Besides, it will stop him from adventuring :M :M

The sudden disappearance of one of the pallbearers leaves the coffin fighting an uphill battle against the simplest of physics,

I forgot that light crossbows can be fired with one hand.

Both her and Edgar have reached for the chest at the same time, and they raise the cover together. In retrospective, you have to give that doesn't count as much as chance as it does as sheer synchronicity, or even predestination. The team's two socially akward brainiacs reaching for the fated artifact at the same time, their hands softly and timidly touching each other, a rush of warmth ascending up from their fingers, stabing heart and numbing brain with naught but a slight tremble of the extremities, a soft blush on the cheeks, and the hands at the same time trying to remove themselves from each other's touch and trying to prolong the conection as evidence of the inner turmoil thus awoken. Pluss more romance theories!!

:what: Well, I never pretended to roleplay it that way, I never expected that interpretation...

Maybe noticing they just discovered what makes the alchemist tick and that they are going to spend the whole night listening him go on about explosions, genetical abominations, hidden labs, and angry mobs with torches and pitchforks running him out of towns is that Alais decides to quickly and quietly intrude.

Speaking of hidden labs, we briefly discussed the theory of the Professor's house having a secret lab hidden somewhere, but never got to search for it. So far, we did pretty bad... But at least we have not killed anyone (yet).

PS: At worst, Edgar can use his bombs to escape from the prison :M

PPS: And you made look him like he was terminally insane. Which is probably the intention.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Wow. Requesting the title of 'fanfiction writer' on .... whatever that name is supposed to mean. Stupid language made of homonyms.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
lightbane said:
The sudden disappearance of one of the pallbearers leaves the coffin fighting an uphill battle against the simplest of physics,

I forgot that light crossbows can be fired with one hand.

Probably. But I'm assuming he didn't walk around waving a crossbow in the faces of poeple while carrying the coffin. It takes 2 hands (and a move action) to load a light crossbow bro.

Actually, it also takes a move action to draw a crossbow, so you wouldn't have been able to draw, load and shoot :M

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Awesome write up, Neko-sensei.

Can I join you peeps as a guest/temporary companion on the 28th? I may just be able to, and I'd love to.

EDIT: Or maybe I could get to be a one-time NPC/antagonist?

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Ah, the wonderful fuck ups of chat based PnP. :) A very good AAR.

This is a pre-made adventures with handouts prepared in advance, right? Otherwise I'm going to start calling Roxor a lazy bitch from now on.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Very nice write up Yousei-San
rrul8nw3.png

But I'm afraid you set the bar too high for the ones that will follow yours :lol:

Azael: this is a published adventure and I guess the hand outs were scanned by Ulmi. Nontheless :salute: for all the work you have with setting up all that stuff in MapTools! And let's not forget preparing the Sessions and dealing with our codexian behaviour in general ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom