Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex is looking for news posters

Is Infinitron doing a good job as a newsposter?

• Yes

• No

• kingcomrade

Results are only viewable after voting.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
In all fairness to Goral, the poll title shouldn't have been "Is Infinitron doing a good job as a news poster?". It should have been "Should Codex cover more news?"

If the results were positive and admins are okay with that, then the obvious solution would be multiple news posters. They should cover different corners of the RPG industry - AAA titles, indies, ARPG, retrospectives, general company news, mods for classics etc.

• Infinitron is a jew mediocrelord who should probably, despite everything, continue to manage KS neoRPG like PoE/Wasteland/Kingmaker because he does nothing else
  • IncendiaryDevice seems to display an above-average control over English so he'd probably be the right guy to do editing, if not something else
  • Goral smells like somebody who likes to track mods for now-old RPGs 1995-2005
  • Lilura (?) could post IE/Aurora stuff when she is off PMS
  • and so on.

It's really not that hard to organize, assuming it's something the admins are fine with. Imo it'd be a lot more convenient for everybody as you would have an RPG news aggregator + stormfront/godlike productions in 1 package instead of this ObsidianPlanet rubbish.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
In all fairness to Goral, the poll title shouldn't have been "Is Infinitron doing a good job as a news poster?". It should have been "Should Codex cover more news?"

If the results were positive and admins are okay with that, then the obvious solution would be multiple news posters. They should cover different corners of the RPG industry - AAA titles, indies, ARPG, retrospectives, general company news, mods for classics etc.

• Infinitron is a jew mediocrelord who should probably, despite everything, continue to manage KS neoRPG like PoE/Wasteland/Kingmaker because he does nothing else
  • IncendiaryDevice seems to display an above-average control over English so he'd probably be the right guy to do editing, if not something else
  • Goral smells like somebody who likes to track mods for now-old RPGs 1995-2005
  • Lilura (?) could post IE/Aurora stuff when she is off PMS
  • and so on.

It's really not that hard to organize, assuming it's something the admins are fine with. Imo it'd be a lot more convenient for everybody as you would have an RPG news aggregator + stormfront/godlike productions in 1 package.

Wont happen, the front page is booked and paid for, they wont allow it.You can be sure you will eat poe2 kickstarter updates for a while.
At least we wont get a retrospective, i think it will suffer the same fate as grimrock 2, people bought the first one cause its new and fresh, second title wont meet nearly same sales figures.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member

We could be like RPG Watch and spam so much news that nobody bothers to comment on any of it and the site ends up feeling dead.

Also we've tried multiple news posters before for specific areas. They end up not posting. Besides, how many people do you see signing up to post news in this thread? Hundreds, thousands, millions?

Has there even been a single person express any interest at all?

Until such time as another person steps forwards, you can complain all you like but nothing will change.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

We could be like RPG Watch and spam so much news that nobody bothers to comment on any of it and the site ends up feeling dead.

Also we've tried multiple news posters before for specific areas. They end up not posting. Besides, how many people do you see signing up to post news in this thread? Hundreds, thousands, millions?

Has there even been a single person express any interest at all?

Until such time as another person steps forwards, you can complain all you like but nothing will change.

The movie thread is best thread. All user driven. A formal news format is work. Who wants to work?
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/last-movie-you-have-seen-rating.58733/page-444

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
We could be like RPG Watch and spam so much news that nobody bothers to comment and the site ends up feeling dead.

You are delusional. News coverage will net more comments not less.

The Watch isn't dead due to news spammage, it's dead because the admin is a libcuck and 90% of members are 60 year old geezers.
News tracking is the only thing that's keeping it on life support.

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
We could be like RPG Watch and spam so much news that nobody bothers to comment and the site ends up feeling dead.

The Watch isn't dead due to news spammage, it's dead because the admin is a wombyn feminist and 90% of members are 60 year old geezers.
If DarkUnderlord would really mean it he would have tempered Infinitron who is spamming the news section with inXile/Obsidian/Pathfinder updates. But he's right that too much news is as bad as too few, e.g. RPG Watch covers FPS (Prey, Dishonored) or shitty mods (like Fallout 4 mods). So yeah, some selectiveness would be still necessary. And personally I would not like to see jRPGs on this site, ANN and other weaboo sites are for that.

Actual, non "wouldn't it be cool if" option: people post the interesting content on the respective subforums and notify Infinitron to copypaste it on News if they feel the topic is newsworthy, like Ventilator did with Goral's post on that patcg Drog made for that old game (Arcanine or something?)

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

The Watch isn't dead due to news spammage, it's dead because the admin is a wombyn feminist and 90% of members are 60 year old geezers.

I'd like to point out the angry militant zealots chased Roqua off their site with hate and pitchforks of angry righteousness before any feminazis joined the staff. You used to be able to say what you wanted there when Dhruin was still around. I did get in some trouble during the rpgdot days since people like to get me in trouble, ha ha. Myrthos is a good guy and pretty lenient and open minded for a cult leftist. Corwin is a good guy too. I thought Hiddenx was an okay guy, I never really noticed him until the last time I posted on there and got banned but he didn't seem to like me for some reason. I'm guessing he is a leftist too and dislikes people thinking thoughts not approved by the leftist cult of hate tolerance intolerance love.

I'd just like to point out all of this is second hand knowledge and hearsay and learned only after I looked into this super handsome Roqua fella after the blatant and malicious lies saying I am him.

What I miss most is old VD, when we used to get in good discussions about interesting rpg things and games (and not the shit games he liked on top of the good games) back when he liked me, and Dhruin - just an all around good guy with both good and shit taste in games but was able to comprehend and have interesting points, and GhanBurgerKing - a smart guy with decent and he never seemed to get his feathers ruffled. EKJHJHGGKHB is like the new GhanBurgetKing, but less talkative and with promising taste. He never seems to get ruffled neither. I have a creeping suspicion EJKLHJHDS is grownup GhanBurgerKing with a job and less time to post.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I remember back when Infinitron took over posting news from VentilatorOfDoom. It was shocking how much more news was/is posted than in the old days. Took a while to get used to.
Why lie? I was always accused of spamming too many news items that weren't real news and were not worthy of a news post etc.

btw DU is right, I did hire a guy specifically for Indie/roguelike news for instance, but you know...

Back in the day we also had Codexers put news into the contact box, happened all the time, I would then post it as news wih a "thanks to community member whatshisname" attached. That has become a very rare occurrence as well.

News are dead, men

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Why lie? I was always accused of spamming too many news items that weren't real news and were not worthy of a news post etc.

Maybe it was when you took over from whatever dead husk had previously been responsible for news. I just remember it going from one or two posts a week to almost daily news 4 or 5 years ago.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I haven't looked at the news since I registered and I am not gonna start now; it's like that old Something Awful running joke that used to get you banned there: "There's a front page!?"

Anyway, news is easy; just write a script that outputs "RPGs are still in decline and no good ones are being worked on." every month and you save a lot of time.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Hah, I think we got a thread like this early this year with aweigh complaining that the Watch has more coverage for true RPGs (basically blobbers) than the Codex. I think Infi was also called out there for posting/shilling Kickstarter games. And people are encouraging aweigh to start posting/submitting about blobber with addendum that current staff should edit them a bit to avoid his signature long rants. Guess aweigh never ended up posting?

And the discussion basically also boils down to "whoever the fuck is posting news will only post ones they actually care about." If aweigh was given sole role of posting news you can easily bet what kind of games we will be seeing in the news section. PS: I don't think Drog's new mod will make it.

And see? Like DU said nobody have applied for the position in spite the thread being 5 pages long. I don't think Infinitron would mind the competition of having a 2nd newsposter. At this point nobody cares about the community newsposting enough to bother doing it themselves. And you monkeys are chasing out the only guy,in spite his agenda/tastes, who bothers to spare his freetime and is getting shit at least done.

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Back in the day we also had Codexers put news into the contact box, happened all the time, I would then post it as news wih a "thanks to community member whatshisname" attached. That has become a very rare occurrence as well.

But if users actually did that then they wouldn't have an excuse anymore to spam news threads with 'muh shilling!' and to create pointless site feedback threads to whine and complain.

We can't possibly have that.

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
And see? Like DU said nobody have applied for the position in spite the thread being 5 pages long.
I'm pretty sure that the results would be different if they would post a job ad on the front page and pinned it for a while.
PS: I don't think Drog's new mod will make it.
Not sure what you mean by that (I'm probably not getting you right) but the Drog news is on the front page already. And it actually proves my point and shows that Infinitron was wrong, before the front page there was barely any interest in this mod but after it's been mentioned in this thread (and later published on the front page) several sites have mentioned about it, e.g.

https://www.rpgwatch.com/news/arcanum--of-steamworks-and-magick-obscura-38049.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/6lihvt/new_arcanum_high_resolution_patch_released/
https://www.reddit.com/r/arcanum/comments/6lmcdn/arcanum_high_resolution_patch_version_15_release/
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/6lta6w/arcanum_high_resolution_patch_version_15_released/
https://enklawanetwork.pl/pc/news/11490-arcanum-high-resolution-patch-dostepny-w-wersji-15/

and as a cherry on top Chris Avellone has shown an interest in it.

Last but not least, this news has over 3k views on RPG Codex which is not bad.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Hah, I think we got a thread like this early this year with aweigh complaining that the Watch has more coverage for true RPGs (basically blobbers) than the Codex. I think Infi was also called out there for posting/shilling Kickstarter games. And people are encouraging aweigh to start posting/submitting about blobber with addendum that current staff should edit them a bit to avoid his signature long rants. Guess aweigh never ended up posting?

And the discussion basically also boils down to "whoever the fuck is posting news will only post ones they actually care about." If aweigh was given sole role of posting news you can easily bet what kind of games we will be seeing in the news section. PS: I don't think Drog's new mod will make it.

And see? Like DU said nobody have applied for the position in spite the thread being 5 pages long. I don't think Infinitron would mind the competition of having a 2nd newsposter. At this point nobody cares about the community newsposting enough to bother doing it themselves. And you monkeys are chasing out the only guy,in spite his agenda/tastes, who bothers to spare his freetime and is getting shit at least done.

But aweigh is busy with game translation or something

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Not sure what you mean by that (I'm probably not getting you right) but the Drog news is on the front page already.

Didn't realize it, but my point was, people can't blame resident newsbot for not posting the mod when he had no interest about it because if you give the news posting position to, say, aweigh, he will not be posting about it either.

The lack of Drog's mod news (and a lot of others that people might find interesting) is not because Infinitron is a shill but because he is the only one posting about news. After people protested, VoD ended up posting it (and it is good that he did that), but still, if people care to make a news post and submit it earlier the whole point of this drama is moot.

But aweigh is busy with game translation or something

Which I think kinda reinforces my point? There is no news about X because nobody who has interest in X is sparing their time to write news post about X.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom