Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview: Josh Sawyer

Lhynn

Arcane
Gary Gygax designed Tomb of Horrors, the ultimate player puncher. :M
His players asked for it, literally. Also with enough preparation and caution any kind of trap can be avoided (within reason).

On a side note, that module is still better than anything sawyer has ever done.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I have some questions, but they are addressed to members of the staff:

(1) Who had the brilliant idea of making an interview with Josh Sawyer after it had been established that he has stupid prejudices regarding game design, and always ignored Codex feedback on the past?

(2) Why should we show any interest in Obsidian games and developers when it was established by PoE, Tranny and most recent interviews that they are desperately catering to a causal market?

(3) Why don’t we have these interviews with developers that actually give a dam about cRPGs and the Codex, like Hannah and Joe (Whalenought Studios), Christof and his team (Overhyped studios), Dejan Radisic, a.k.a., Stgy and his team (Stygian Software), Vault Dweller and his team (Iron Tower Studio), David Dunham and his team, that are working on "Six Ages", the sequel to the classic “King of the Dragon Pass”, or the guys that are making the excellent “Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones” (Cultic Games)?

(4) Why is so hard to understand that these interviews with Obsidian developers have absolutely no substance or relevance to players with a modicum of inteligence?

(5) How many false promises, overpriced shallow Kickstarters, betrayals, gamescom embargos, threats and console releases do you need to understand that this developer ass kissing have no impact in the way the Codex is perceived? That we will never have the social prestige of “professional” sites like Polygon and Kotaku?

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
(3) Why don’t we have these interviews with developers that actually give a dam about cRPGs and the Codex, like Hannah and Joe (Whalenought Studios), Christof and his team (Overhyped studios), Dejan Radisic, a.k.a., Stgy and his team (Stygian Software), Vault Dweller and his team (Iron Tower Studio), David Dunham and his team, that are working on "Six Ages", the sequel to the classic “King of the Dragon Pass”, or the guys that are making the excellent “Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones” (Cultic Games)?
Well, I guess most of them are active on the codex, so we can ask them any time we want, but it is a lot harder to get an Obsidian dev to give an interview.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Well, I guess most of them are active on the codex, so we can ask them any time we want, but it is a lot harder to get an Obsidian dev to give an interview.

That is not the same thing at all. These organized interviews can engage posters that were previously unaware of the developers interviewed, provides an opportunity to answer questions that are more detailed, etc. Your comment gives the impression that some codexers suffers from some sort of inferiority complex mixed with masochism, because they do not value developers who treat them well. That is counter-productive, to say the least. It seems you guys can’t accept that you are doomed to be an isolated minority. You strive, as if your survival somehow depends on what other people think. That is so silly, guys. You will always be insulated, no matter what you do. Simply the fact that you spend so much time actively talking about cRPGs will ensure that.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

That is not the same thing at all. These organized interviews can engage posters that were previously unaware of the developers interviewed, provides an opportunity to answer questions that are more detailed, etc.
You have a point here, although the Codex could still make interviews with these devs more easily than with Obsidian dev.
Your comment gives the impression that some codexers suffers from some sort of inferiority complex mixed with masochism, because they do not value developers who treat them well. That is counter-productive, to say the least. It seems you guys can’t accept that you are doomed to be an isolated minority. You strive, as if your survival somehow depends on what other people think. That is so silly, guys. You will always be insulated, no matter what you do. Simply the fact that you spend so much time actively talking about cRPGs will ensure that.
I really don't get why did you reply this, because I don't see the connection with my original post, but I value your views. I love you man.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
But the amount of revenue this stuff generates is greater than the amount of money we spend on their games?

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
I have some questions, but they are addressed to members of the staff:

(1) Who had the brilliant idea of making an interview with Josh Sawyer after it had been established that he has stupid prejudices regarding game design, and always ignored Codex feedback on the past?

(2) Why should we show any interest in Obsidian games and developers when it was established by PoE, Tranny and most recent interviews that they are desperately catering to a causal market?

(4) Why is so hard to understand that these interviews with Obsidian developers have absolutely no substance or relevance to players with a modicum of inteligence?

(5) How many false promises, overpriced shallow Kickstarters, betrayals, gamescom embargos, threats and console releases do you need to understand that this developer ass kissing have no impact in the way the Codex is perceived? That we will never have the social prestige of “professional” sites like Polygon and Kotaku?

It's quite simple, all those other game devs you mentioned serve a niche within a niche (even when we're talking about Codex). Obsidian (and Sawyer in particular) have a much larger following here, in addition to having devoted fans among the Codex staff.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
It's quite simple, all those other game devs you mentioned serve a niche within a niche (even when we're talking about Codex). Obsidian (and Sawyer in particular) have a much larger following here, in addition to having devoted fans among the Codex staff.

Top 10 - GOTY (2015):

Underrail
Age of Decadence
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Voidspire Tactics
Serpent in the Staglands
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Dr. Dungeon's MADMAN!
Thea: The Awakening
Overture
VoidExpanse

Do you see any Obsidian game in this list? No? Ok.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, just to humor you, here are some legit reasons why it makes less sense to be "ALL INDIES, ALL THE TIME".

1) Indies work slower. Guess what Vault Dweller is going to be doing in two years? Answer: More or less the same stuff he's doing right now. In that timeframe, a professional developer will have moved on to entirely new projects.

2) Indies have less secrets. You don't need to go to them, they come to you. If you need to do an interview to reveal important information about an indie game, that game's developer is doing something wrong. And the Codex doesn't do interviews unless there's interesting information we want to find out.

3) Indies have less manpower. They don't have the time to spare to go around giving in-depth interviews about what they're doing with their game this month. Leave them alone, let them work on their games.

Ash

Arcane
At least the Codex gives Indies (and mods) any exposure at all. All mainstream sites indeed only do it based on what will generate a big bunch of clicks. If the Codex stops covering the little guys I'd probably stop visiting. AAA/whatever game that has strong marketing has an industry monopoly enough as it is.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

Top 10 - GOTY (2015):

Underrail
Age of Decadence
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Voidspire Tactics
Serpent in the Staglands
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Dr. Dungeon's MADMAN!
Thea: The Awakening
Overture
VoidExpanse

Do you see any Obsidian game in this list? No? Ok.

Ratings are one thing, how many people played it another. I'd wager more Codexers tried PoE than AoD or Underrail (which are put on the waiting list even though they are supposedly so tempting). Not to mention that Obsidian has a few games in Codex all-time list (which granted needs updating after the supposed old-school RPG resurgence), one of them in top 10 (FNV, lead by Sawyer, ahead of classics like Gothic 2 and Wizardry 8).

Lhynn

Arcane
They don't have the time to spare to go around giving in-depth interviews about what they're doing with their game this month.
Sure they do, in fact they really need this if they want better sales. Also preparing for an interview when all you do is eat and breathe what they are going to ask you doesnt take much time. A an hour on skype at MOST.
Bet a number of indie devs would be interested in giving the codex an interview if it meant more exposure for their baby.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Infinitron,

I agree that Indies work slower, but I don’t believe that they have less secrets. If you take any game news, half of them are vague updates about the content, and the other half are jorno speculations about some developer comment. Shocking news like “Avellone leaved Obsidian!” and “Kevin Saunders was fired” almost never happens. Regarding the exposition, that depends on the developers involved. Some prefer to be left working alone; while others are keen to answer any question, any time. They will appreciate the extra publicity. At least they will have more insightful things to say than Sawyer will. That is for sure. If you need to post more news about the AA studios for financial reasons, at least be consistent. If you post any Urquart’s comment as news, you can at least pretend that you give the same importance to other less known developers on the front page. This affects the Codex more than you imagine.

I don't know how to tell you this Lurker King, but... this shit will never change.

Bester, things do change. They can change intentionally or in unexpected manner, for better or worse, but they change. In fact, they already changed so must in these past few years after all these Kickstarter failures and new games that the self-image of the Codex became schizophrenic. We spent most of our time talking about studios that can’t deliver what we want just because the site need the revenues from news related to these studios.

At least the Codex gives Indies (and mods) any exposure at all.

Ash, mainstream sites can die in a fire. I’m talking about the Codex. It is not as if we are doing Indies a favor, either. We are talking about giving more awareness to the types of games we want to play. The fact that they are Indies is completely incidental.

Ratings are one thing, how many people played it another. I'd wager more Codexers tried PoE than AoD or Underrail (which are put on the waiting list even though they are supposedly so tempting). Not to mention that Obsidian has a few games in Codex all-time list (which granted needs updating after the supposed old-school RPG resurgence), one of them in top 10 (FNV, lead by Sawyer, ahead of classics like Gothic 2 and Wizardry 8).

Of course, but that is the past, Zagor. I bought it and played PoE. I don’t pretend to buy more games from them anymore. In a sense, this is even worse. If the vast majority played these games, but didn’t enjoy it, this only shows that they receive more attention and exposition than they deserve. We’re talking about Obsidian here. They didn’t manage the top 10. Do you think they will have a chance in 2016 or 2017? Moreover, how many codexers played them because of the absurd exposition they receive?

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Of course, but that is the past, Zagor.I bought it and played PoE. I don’t pretend to buy more games from them anymore. In a sense, this is even worse. If the vast majority played these games, but didn’t enjoy it, this only shows that they receive more attention and exposition than they deserve. We’re talking about Obsidian here. They didn’t manage the top 10. Do you think they will have a chance in 2016 or 2017? Moreover, how many codexers played them because of the absurd exposition they receive?

Don't think it's just because of the Codex coverage they receive, it's also because of their superior production values and less demanding nature compared to indie games which makes them easier to get into (instead of getting shipped to the waiting list). Don't make the mistake of thinking that Codex is immune to various modern gaming diseases and comforts, the symptoms are just far less pronounced compared to other gaming sites (and the pile of turd that is gaming journalism obviously).

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
1) would you ever work on a star trek rpg (star wars sucks and is dumb)

2) how about that arcanum sequel?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Don't make the mistake of thinking that Codex is immune to various modern gaming diseases and comforts, the symptoms are just far less pronounced compared to other gaming sites (and the pile of turd that is gaming journalism obviously).

I do believe there's a current 'what I have played' thread from a decade old user who conforms to this narrative to a tee...

Oh how this place will change when the Biodrones are set loose??? Or maybe not. Too early to say I guess. Maybe. Possibly. Nah, It'll be fine. Nothing to worry about. It's cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom