Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview: Josh Sawyer

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
As a veteran, how does game dev change over these years?

In spite of development tools, human and physical (e.g. money) resources being more readily available, many would say that new games created to emulate the better games of the 80s and 90s often failed to capture the magic. This is one of the factor that contributes to the declining crowdfunding as game dev funding platform. Why is that, in your opinion? And what can developers do in facing this challenge?

Right now Obsidian is considered an AA developers. Too small to do whatever you want kind of game, too big to have long development cycle with mediocre sales. This results is compromise of design where the game Obsidian create might not fully sit well with both the new, younger audience, and the older gamer. Moving forward where do you think Obsidian should go? How will Obsidian relationship with new publisher comes into the picture?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

deuxhero

Arcane
If you oppose censorship why did you tell someone you'd say "I'll talk to our producers about it" when asked to censor something?

Did your "talk" to producers involve screaming at people, as you have previously said you regularly did in the workplace when you did not get your way?

Do you regret your choices of encouraging further organized harassment of developers by giving it a "victory", with the ringleader publicly stating he will return "twice as deadly" and still plans to commit genocide, now that the consequences are clear?

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane

Malpercio

Arcane
Hmmmm

1) If you could back in time, would you still pinch a second megatown for PoE kickstarter?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He has more hours playing FO4 than NV. Whoever says they play those games for research should be hanged.

I was going to post Tim Cain's Steam profile (I'm pretty sure he also played Fallout 4 more than New Vegas) but he made his Steam profile private. :x A coward like Todd Howard.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
One more question: "Which of these views do you feel closer to: that there should be as few encounters as possible which a party would overcome in the same way (dubbed "trash combat"), or that purposeful saturation of the gameplay with combat encounters, even if they lack originality and challenge, can be a welcome break for the player from dialogue, and balance out the game's general pacing?"

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
One more question: "Which of these views do you feel closer to: that there should be as few encounters as possible which a party would overcome in the same way (dubbed "trash combat"), or that purposeful saturation of the gameplay with combat encounters, even if they lack originality and challenge, can be a welcome break for the player from dialogue, and balance out the game's general pacing?"

The question is good but he'll just say "somewhere in the middle", wouldn't he.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sawyer favors low amounts of trash combat, but there's a player expectation that RPGs have dozens of hours of content, so that time has to be filled up somehow.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The question is good but he'll just say "somewhere in the middle", wouldn't he.
I'm hoping the interviewer won't let him get away like that... :)

Sawyer favors low amounts of trash combat, but there's a player expectation that RPGs have dozens of hours of content, so that time has to be filled up somehow.
I've heard him express such views, and I know that in general, both in videogames design and in DMing, he considers unique challenges to be the better approach, but this runs kind of counter to what they did in PoE. Yes, they did downscale encounters, I think when they were releasing TWM1 (August 2015), so he would probably mention that, but I'm curious what lessons were learned in that regard from PoE that will be applied to PoE2. He will probably also mention the fact that ultimately it comes down to the amount of development time they've got versus the amount of encounters they have to design. TWM features the best designed combat in the game, IMO (and I strongly advise you to play the expansion), so for me that's where the bar is set right now, what would he say to that?

a mod

Formlery Melanoma

AwesomeButton

Patron
Please ask if they are planning to experiment with changes to the min/max zoom levels or the camera perspective, to move the view point higher instead of viewing the scene more from the side (i.e., more similar to the IE games). I'm pretty sure they aren't doing it but anyway.

Delterius

Arcane
Yes, they did downscale encounters, I think when they were releasing TWM1 (August 2015), so he would probably mention that, but I'm curious what lessons were learned in that regard from PoE that will be applied to PoE2.
Was this a more general change to the game or something that was only applied to Od Nua? I might replay PoE to check how things have changed so I'd like to know.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, they did downscale encounters, I think when they were releasing TWM1 (August 2015), so he would probably mention that, but I'm curious what lessons were learned in that regard from PoE that will be applied to PoE2.
Was this a more general change to the game or something that was only applied to Od Nua? I might replay PoE to check how things have changed so I'd like to know.

There are rumors that the changes were applied more widely than the patch notes said, but I don't think anybody has done a comprehensive comparison.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Some interview with Josh was mentioning they reduced encounters in the woods around gilded vale as well, and in the vicinity of twin elms, but I can't really give you a quote.

I'm pretty sure about the twin elms encounters, because my gf who finished the game before me was surprised when I got to the same areas playing on PoTD and there were missing encounters which she had seen when playing on Normal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom