Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Codex GOTY 2015 - Results

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
AoD would've scored better if there was a CYOA category :M

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Yes, let's be "real" now. You have the raw data and can use any method on those that you want. There you have your personal GOTY poll.

What are you saying is that people who are pointing flaws in the official pool in order to make it better should fuck off and do their own unofficial pools? That as shitty answer if I ever saw one.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
AoD and Underrail are both great games, but without any butthurt i see Underrail a bit ahead. Just check out the amount of work on systems, different playstyles and all the environmental design in UR.

Underrail combat has more options than AoDs, but is also less challenging. The AI is worse, in fact you can even kite in every fight. The game also have too much backtracking, trahsmobs, poor writing and lack of reactivity. Underrail is worse, there is no comparison. I think that what is happening is crystal clear. Underrail is based on the run of the mill pseudo-cRPG design. The entire game resolves around exploring and killing stuff, like a lot. That is more accessible for most players because you don’t have to deal with a lot of writing, skill checks, choices, etc. You know, that type of stuff that most cRPGs should be doing. I’m not butthurt because even with all the noise, cheating, dishonest previews, AoD still had the most votes.

Last edited:

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, let's be "real" now. You have the raw data and can use any method on those that you want. There you have your personal GOTY poll.

What are you saying is that people who are pointing flaws in the official pool in order to make it better should fuck off and do their own unofficial pools? That as shitty answer if I ever saw one.

No, he's saying that you have the raw data and can do with it pretty much whatever you want.
Want to remove games from the list, different categories, calculate another way, allow only 1 vote (takes some work here if they voted multiple 5's, but should be doable without too much error), have oldfags votes worth more, etc etc etc. there's nobody stopping you from making more cool statistical facts to play with.

a lot of writing, skill checks, choices, etc. You know, that type of stuff that most cRPGs should be doing. I’m not butthurt because even with all the noise, cheating, dishonest previews, AoD still had the most votes.

Have you considered the option that perhaps not all people like the way they were implemented in AoD?
I personally just felt like AoD became a 'guess your next skillcheck' game where you'd end up not leveling up and savescumming because heaven forbid you spend 3 skillpoints in a way VD didn't think appropriate for your class.
It wasn't even CYOA, I would have liked that, it's more a game where you have to guess which adventure it was VD had in mind for your class/faction and then following that to the letter because if not, you teleport to (instant) death; better make sure you guess better the next game.
*shrug* ymmv.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I actually really didn't like AoD that much. I was pretty public with that before there was any potential for a GotY match up.

MSF in a PM: "I do think there is a good game here, and I have no intention of being unfair in any way. There's a lot of elements I really like, there are some elements that I think are good but fall short of great."

Voted 1/5. Makes sense.

Not surprises here. The guy spent the whole preview making superficial criticisms that revealed his ignorance about entire portions of the game, and now he gives the game a 1.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The combat is more versatile than AoD, but is also less challenging. The AI is worse, in fact you can even kite in every fight. The game also have too much backtracking, trahsmobs, poor writing and lack of reactivity. Underrail is worse, there is no comparison. I think that what is happening is crystal clear. Underrail is based on the run of the mill pseudo-cRPG design. The entire game resolves around exploring and killing stuff, like a lot. That is more accessible for most players because you don’t have to deal with a lot of writing, skill checks, choices, etc. You know, that type of stuff that most cRPGs should be doing. I’m not butthurt because even with all the noise, cheating, dishonest previews, AoD still had the most votes.
:lol:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
No, he's saying that you have the raw data and can do with it pretty much whatever you want. Want to remove games from the list, different categories, calculate another way, allow only 1 vote (takes some work here if they voted multiple 5's, but should be doable without too much error), have oldfags votes worth more, etc etc etc. there's nobody stopping you from making more cool statistical facts to play with.

That is like saying: “Look, I know Bush had less votes than the other guy, but he won! Now, stop complaining about the voting process and make your own conclusions using the raw data”. It’s completely beside the point because it doesn't change the results of the election.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
a lot of writing, skill checks, choices, etc. You know, that type of stuff that most cRPGs should be doing. I’m not butthurt because even with all the noise, cheating, dishonest previews, AoD still had the most votes.

Have you considered the option that perhaps not all people like the way they were implemented in AoD?
I personally just felt like AoD became a 'guess your next skillcheck' game where you'd end up not leveling up and savescumming because heaven forbid you spend 3 skillpoints in a way VD didn't think appropriate for your class.
It wasn't even CYOA, I would have liked that, it's more a game where you have to guess which adventure it was VD had in mind for your class/faction and then following that to the letter because if not, you teleport to (instant) death; better make sure you guess better the next game.
*shrug* ymmv.
This guy is just deluded. Lots of writing is the last thing CRPGs should have, for one. "Handwritten" complex scenarios is anathema to RPGs, it just gives an illusion of player agency: the railroad full of forks. Even MCA who made this model popular agree it's time for CRPGs to be more systemic.

Cadmus

Arcane

*shrug* ymmv.
This guy is just deluded. Lots of writing is the last thing CRPGs should have, for one. "Handwritten" complex scenarios is anathema to RPGs, it just gives an illusion of player agency. Even MCA who made this model popular agree it's time for CRPGs to be more systemic.
Who gives a shit what time for what is it? If you want a systemic game go play the fucking Skyrim. Best quest system ever, you will never have enough!
MCA hasn't done shit in years, fuck him, nobody needs his expertise until he actually goes and makes a good game where at least half of it isn't spent fighting against some retarded game system.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Have you considered the option that perhaps not all people like the way they were implemented in AoD? I personally just felt like AoD became a 'guess your next skillcheck' game where you'd end up not leveling up and savescumming because heaven forbid you spend 3 skillpoints in a way VD didn't think appropriate for your class. It wasn't even CYOA, I would have liked that, it's more a game where you have to guess which adventure it was VD had in mind for your class/faction and then following that to the letter because if not, you teleport to (instant) death; better make sure you guess better the next game.
*shrug* ymmv.

You almost make it sound like choices and deep reactivity it’s a bad thing. Every time I read those complaints about teleporting, the message I’m getting is that your inner teenager is saying something like this “Please, I want moar exploring and moar things to kill. I don’t give a shit about serious writing and choices. Fuck this. I just want to kill more things and walking in my air pee gees!” Don’t get me wrong, but you guys deserve all the mainstream popamole cRPg crap with boring reused settings that come your way. The only difference between you and Skyrm fans, is that they don’t pretend to care about stats.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Lots of writing is the last thing CRPGs should have, for one. "Handwritten" complex scenarios is anathema to RPGs, it just gives an illusion of player agency: the railroad full of forks.

That is a nice inversion of values here. So actual choices are meaningless because they gave the player the illusion of agency. Ok. So let’s take choices out and put more exploring and things to kill, because that is what real agency is about. Five different ways to kill the same boss. That doesnt give an illusion of player agency, because that is real choice.

Even MCA who made this model popular agree it's time for CRPGs to be more systemic.

Avellone should stick to writing, because he can’t design shit and have borderline retarded ideas about game design. Just look at his last talk. The guy talks about the importance of mini-games in cRPGs! Fuck this. I still have nightmares because of the miningames in Alphaturd Alpha Protocol. He also mentioned in some interviews that he feels guilty for promoting traditional dialogue system. But we don’t have non-traditional dialogue systems! Oh, wait. We have one. In Alphaturd Alpha Protocol you have real-time dialogue systems! That worked great, right?

Fairfax

Arcane
Lots of writing is the last thing CRPGs should have, for one. "Handwritten" complex scenarios is anathema to RPGs, it just gives an illusion of player agency: the railroad full of forks.

That is a nice inversion of values here. So actual choices are meaningless because they gave the player the illusion of agency. Ok. So let’s take choices out and put more exploring and things to kill, because that is what real agency is about. Five different ways to kill the same boss. That doesnt give an illusion of player agency, because that is real choice.

Even MCA who made this model popular agree it's time for CRPGs to be more systemic.

Avellone should stick to writing, because he can’t design shit and have borderline retarded ideas about game design. Just look at his last talk. The guy talks about the importance of mini-games in cRPGs! Fuck this. I still have nightmares because of the miningames in Alphaturd Alpha Protocol. He also mentioned in some interviews that he feels guilty for promoting traditional dialogue system. But we don’t have non-traditional dialogue systems! Oh, wait. We have one. In Alphaturd Alpha Protocol you have real-time dialogue systems! That worked great, right?
What talk was that?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
That is a nice inversion of values here. So actual choices are meaningless because they gave the player the illusion of agency. Ok. So let’s take choices out and put more exploring and things to kill, because that is what real agency is about. Five different ways to kill the same boss. That is real choice. LOL
Let's not take choices out, let's stop pretending picking from a plate of pre-defined scenarios served by the developer has the right to be called choice in something trying to be an RPG in the computer. That ain't how RPG works, that's a CYOA.

Cadmus

Arcane
We have one. In Alphaturd Alpha Protocol you have real-time dialogue systems! That worked great, right?
It actually did.
It so did not, it was totally fucked up, made me click the retarded-ass answer that I had to be reading instead of listening to what was being said but it only displayed bullshit retard answers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom